250pts a month Wolves (pssst Ragnar is finished)

Tommie Soule

One of the best looking Space Wolf armies I've seen and love the dread! The whole army is total Eavy metal style, so crisp and well painted. I guess if I had to crit, and I guess the dread shows it more than others, is the bases don't have the same high quality as the models. Maybe the frosting ( Im not sure what this is ? ) will help. Maybe some dry brushing on the static grass to take some of that high green saturation out of it would help too. Its kind of sunny meadow mid summer grass next to desert/desolate sand/dirt next to snow, just doesnt quite make sense as a grounding for your guys.

Looking forward to seeing the long fangs, and maybe even some kind wolf lord conversion, oh and some termies !!! And maybe some swift claws? Contemptor dread? :)

BEAUTIFUL WORK AS ALWAYS!

I'm located a little too far to join events such as yours but I hope everyone attending will be satisfied. Since I can't join I'd like to know a couple of things:

Firstly, how do you paint your furs? Both the pelts as well as the tail talismans? I have tried a gazillion different techniques and color combinations on my wolves but I haven't found a satisfying one for me yet. I don't only mean to ask the colors you used but painting techniques and the order in which they are implemented as well.

Secondly, how do you paint the triangles and other patterns on the weapons, legs etc. I remember you mentioning previously that you use a brush to paint them. So how much do you thin your paints? Do you use masking tape or something? How on earth do you achieve the clean lines and symmetrical size on the icons etc.? All help is well appreciated!

Thirdly, do you paint your battle damage on? If yes, how do you make the call on when enough is enough? I have trouble determining the proper amount of battle damage so I have left all of my boys as pristine as on parade day ;)

And I have to mention again: Everything on this thread is top quality and I am astonished with the speed you guys produce these works of art.

All the best,

Pup

• 2 months later...

Did this ever get finished Tommy? Can't find your tutorial either. Could have sworn you had done one.

And any mentions of thread dormancy...just look at the painting! The young ones need to see it.

• 2 months later...

I could not help but shelve the space elves and pic up the space wolves!
these puppies were actually 90% painted by my lady, Kelly, I just finished them off after teaching her how to do the fur

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/tommiesoule/000_1424.jpg

I started a wolf guard unit a while ago but he was just a power armored fellow with a power fist to lead my razorback squad. here is the second of my wolf guard unit! More to come :)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/tommiesoule/000_1413.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

BEAUTIFUL WORK AS ALWAYS!

I'm located a little too far to join events such as yours but I hope
everyone attending will be satisfied. Since I can't join I'd like to
know a couple of things:

Firstly, how do you paint your furs? Both the pelts as well as the tail
talismans? I have tried a gazillion different techniques and color
combinations on my wolves but I haven't found a satisfying one for me
yet. I don't only mean to ask the colors you used but painting
techniques and the order in which they are implemented as well.

The furs are - rakarth flesh washes down through, sepia, earthshade, nuln oil.

Secondly, how do you paint the triangles and other patterns on the
weapons, legs etc. I remember you mentioning previously that you use a
brush to paint them. So how much do you thin your paints? Do you use
masking tape or something? How on earth do you achieve the clean lines
and symmetrical size on the icons etc.? All help is well appreciated!

The shape of the brush defines the shape of the triangle really. Use the brush kind of like a stamp. correct as you need to as you go along.

Thirdly, do you paint your battle damage on? If yes, how do you make the
call on when enough is enough? I have trouble determining the proper
amount of battle damage so I have left all of my boys as pristine as on
parade day

I sneak up on it. only doing a little at a time and judging from there. Trust your gut.

And I have to mention again: Everything on this thread is top quality
and I am astonished with the speed you guys produce these works of art.

All the best,

Pup

Good questions! Hope the answers help you guys out. feel free to Pm me on the Golem facbook page if you need as well.

Tommie

Sweet looking models. As with Ragz, I may do this for my Wolves once I am able to start recollecting my Wolves. 250 a month (or every other month, as the funds allow) seems pretty reasonable for purchasing and doing up.

bran lives lads! He 's back from the dead!

On topic,it's a crips paintjob,very neat!

any tips on space wolves faces? i really like the tone you have achieved through out on the faces. How did you build up to that colour, and what washes did u use. Also jealous of the looks of your army they do look great.

I really like what you've done here.

Very clean, and really a perfect blend of detail and damage to keep the army moving at a good pace.

What is the base colour you use on your wolves? Is it a mix of something? Straight out of the bottle? A spray of some sort?

Hope this helps instead

Simple guide to photography solution -

a curved A4 piece of paper as a base and background for your mini.

desk lamp pointing at the mini from the front (not above!)

camera on macro (not necessarily super macro) assuming you have a compact camera. (i use a kodak cx7525)

zoom in a little and pull away a little to reduce depth of field.

Take photo! however our photography is not like that of a traditional photographer. We are not trying to take a nicely composed and framed image in one shot.

We are simply trying to get as clear and accurate image of our mini as we can.

Crop Image's wasted space in photoshop and hit auto levels.

Save as jpg.

Done

Here is a finished example.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/tommiesoule/000_1045.jpg

T

Can we sticky this??

• 3 months later...

Archived