This bit made me laugh. Not sure I see it the way you do, but good points. Though I feel like it goes a long way towards invalidating all DIY efforts ever.

Mine do OK out of it. :wink:

Seriously. Space Marines are a Big Deal. They should be treated as such, while still recognizing that nothing is a Big Enough Deal To Survive What Half of You People Want To Do. :wink:

Investigating cult activity while actually doing what? This does have the particular appeal of allying Cerberus with my other marines. That bothered me before.

...Fomenting cult activity, I'd assume. Or not doing anything. Basically, they claim to be fighting the problem while spreading the problem. It's much safer than risking actual investigators showing up.

It's more infiltrating governments than establishing cults, and the marines themselves aren't really involved in that. They do their 'marine smash!' thing, while serfs are about securing resources and influence. Not sure what you mean about the worlds vs. Marines, unless you're saying they should try to take over other Chapters.

No. They should be expanding ridiculously, as fast as they can logistically support. He who has the most Space Marines wins. There are a million worlds in the Imperium - you can always get another one, and having one doesn't mean that much. If you have a hundred worlds you can do a lot. With a hundred Space Marines, you can probably get a hundred worlds just by showing up and threatening them into line.

Also, governments don't matter. Show up with a Space Marine chapter. Tell them what to do. They'll do it. Because you're Space Marines.

That's the thing. You're having them seek out power that doesn't matter much in a fashion that they could probably avoid. It'd be simpler for them to secretly expand their numbers, then threaten a few worlds into line. Then expand some more, threaten a few more. By the time the Imperium notices, you should be big enough you can expand quite quickly (both Marine-wise and world-wise).

That's the thing. Cerberus' plans don't make much sense in Mass Effect. They make even less in 40K for Space Marines. If the goal is power, get more Space Marines. If the goal is influence, get more Space Marines. If the goal is to convert people to your way of thinking, get more Space Marines.

No matter what, trying to expand your power through sneakiness and subterfuge is probably going to fail when compared to just getting some more Space Marines.

He who has the most Space Marines wins.

That's the thing.

It'd be simpler for them to secretly expand their numbers...

Then expand some more...

That's the thing.

...get more Space Marines.

... just getting some more Space Marines.

You've pretty much summed up my entire (and utterly unelaborate) tabletop strategy.

Mine do OK out of it. :wink:

Seriously. Space Marines are a Big Deal. They should be treated as such, while still recognizing that nothing is a Big Enough Deal To Survive What Half of You People Want To Do. :wink:

I was mostly referring to the Chapter estimates. If the Imperium was concerned with the Space Marines' numbers/motives/control, and lost so few Chapters, it'd be pretty foolish to keep churning out new Chapters.

...Fomenting cult activity, I'd assume. Or not doing anything. Basically, they claim to be fighting the problem while spreading the problem. It's much safer than risking actual investigators showing up.

Aye, this'll find a place in the rewrite.

No. They should be expanding ridiculously, as fast as they can logistically support. He who has the most Space Marines wins. There are a million worlds in the Imperium - you can always get another one, and having one doesn't mean that much. If you have a hundred worlds you can do a lot. With a hundred Space Marines, you can probably get a hundred worlds just by showing up and threatening them into line.

Also, governments don't matter. Show up with a Space Marine chapter. Tell them what to do. They'll do it. Because you're Space Marines.

That's the thing. You're having them seek out power that doesn't matter much in a fashion that they could probably avoid. It'd be simpler for them to secretly expand their numbers, then threaten a few worlds into line. Then expand some more, threaten a few more. By the time the Imperium notices, you should be big enough you can expand quite quickly (both Marine-wise and world-wise).

That's the thing. Cerberus' plans don't make much sense in Mass Effect. They make even less in 40K for Space Marines. If the goal is power, get more Space Marines. If the goal is influence, get more Space Marines. If the goal is to convert people to your way of thinking, get more Space Marines.

No matter what, trying to expand your power through sneakiness and subterfuge is probably going to fail when compared to just getting some more Space Marines.

I'm just not a fan of the idea of expanding like that/trying to creat a huge Chapter of marines. I don't think they could get away with it, and it would defeat the purpose if the Imperium ever noticed at all. With a public Chapter, there's certainly no reason for me to restrict them to the ~700 marines they had before, but going beyond codex strength doesn't really appeal to me. I might play around with bolstering their strength with 'awakened' comatose marines, but I'll wait til the rewrite is on its feet before giving it more thought.

Gripharius

You've pretty much summed up my entire (and utterly unelaborate) tabletop strategy.

I am a tactical genius.

Messor

I was mostly referring to the Chapter estimates. If the Imperium was concerned with the Space Marines' numbers/motives/control, and lost so few Chapters, it'd be pretty foolish to keep churning out new Chapters.

If you go with old Legion sizes, there are five times as many Space Marines as in the Great Crusade and the Imperium's still losing ground. If you go with new ones, there are half as many. Either way, the Imperium needs them. Even if they are terrifying and scary and hard to control. Because let's face it, the Guard aren't cutting it.

I'm just not a fan of the idea of expanding like that/trying to creat a huge Chapter of marines. I don't think they could get away with it, and it would defeat the purpose if the Imperium ever noticed at all. With a public Chapter, there's certainly no reason for me to restrict them to the ~700 marines they had before, but going beyond codex strength doesn't really appeal to me. I might play around with bolstering their strength with 'awakened' comatose marines, but I'll wait til the rewrite is on its feet before giving it more thought.

There are a couple of things you could do to avoid discovery - make extra Marines and store them in stasis, just send them a long way away, list them as destroyed when they're not, send them out of range of the Imperium...

Imperial communication is pretty spotty. So long as you're cautious about your massive numbers, it could work out OK.

• 2 weeks later...

So just a few preliminary thoughts going into rewrite, limited mostly to origins, for consideration.

-A more natural introduction to Maeleth as CM, a given

-Cerberus early work is to shed the SoU stigmas

-Perhaps their earliest 'illicit' deviations are experiments in curing gene-seed defects

-Still interested in Shanxi concept, an unexpected attack. Thinking 'Collector' similar to Trazyn the Infinite, but might be too much

-Attack drives Chapter off-world, which they later retake, and continue from then on fleet based

-Somewhere along the way, presumably during this war, Maeleth rethinks the Chapter's position in the Imperial Machine, begins secret/covert initiatives that would intrude on other Imperial jurisdictions/bypass accepted limitations (i.e. Mechanicus and technology, Officio Assassinorum, Codex Astartes)

-Unreliable remedy for Sus-an malfunction. Afflicted troops officially listed as KIA, possibly integrated with killswitches, returned to front lines.

What I see this mainly doing is:

-A more legitimate story for Maeleth and Chapter's formation

-Keeping the Chapter public, active, and able to ally, but also conduct its 'side projects'

-Gives Chapter cause for both Fleet-based spread and confronts them with a challenge/threat that drives them outside the box

Not sure about using the collector angle, mostly because Necrons are a preexisting threat, so what would they have/do that would blow Maeleth's mind enough to make him start breaking rules? It's just fun that there's an actual 'collector' parallel. A nameless/faceless xenos might be better.

Not Necrons, Nids. They could be harvesting unique genetic specimens to grow the Hive's abilities. I dunno about the timing, but the Nids fit more as an enemy to match the Collectors. Whole colonies/worlds disappear without a trace. No one has a clue. Also, perhaps you could implement the CAT6 connection to Cerberus that ME3 opened. They utilize those deemed unfit/unsafe/incapable of duty. Perhaps they utilize their failed applicants in some twisted manner? Also, if you wanted to get really dirty, you could be secretly recruiting the unwanted of other chapters/organizations? Curing/manipulating gene-seed definitely seems right up the Illusive Man's alley, especially if it comes at the cost of his troops well-being? After all, it's the results he is interested in, he doesn't care about the human cost. 

Well, I vaguely mention the Nids in the original. I like the idea, and I can see the similarities. My reservation about using them is twofold. First, there's another Liberite making use of the Nids in a similar way, encountered outside the canon timeline, a dire threat, etc. The second concern ties into this, which would be the extent to use them. The Nids are not enigmatic, or reserved. If a planet is attacked by them, the repercussions are extreme. That seems unlikely to go unnoticed. The reason I think it works for Brother Dirus is that Chapter is extinguished. No one left to tell, the timeline can really carry on uninterrupted. As it is, the only really legit way to pull this off would be to bump the Chapter back a founding and then still have to wait three hundred years for the Nids to show.

This might be crazy, but I always thought Spectres were better equated to the 40k universe via Inquisitors. Just a thought :wink:

EDIT: Also, let's not go crazy with stealing everything from the Mass Effect universe. Husks and the Normandy are more than a little excessive, for instance. I can't dictate what you put in your IA/IT but overdoing the theme is often harmful to the IA and right now it's certainly hurting me :tongue:

That just won't do at all! I wrote these IAs almost exclusively so fellow mass effect fans could enjoy them. I did wonder if the normandys were too much. As for the husks, in this IA I mean those more along the lines of the part husk cerberus troopers revealed in ME3. Actual husks will make an appearance (sort of) in the Chaos IT. I appreciate you letting me know what bothered you; I'm not trying to be a rip off, just an intermediary :wink: and I hope everyone who participates has as much fun as me.

You're probably right about the Spectres. Their work outside the law is much closer to an inquisitor. What codex has inquisitor rules? I just included each character in the SM since that's the army I'll actually be building. May change though...

Technically Spectres from Mass Effect universe are indeed very similar to 40K Inquisitors. However Spectres are the best of the bests and in 40K Space Marines are the best of the best. If I had to create a Special Tactics and Reconnaissance group for 40K it won't be Inquisitors or Astartes only but both of them.

So you can have someone who act like a Salarian operative or someone Shepard-like ;)

It will be a problem to make such group table-top usable, though, if you want the Astartes+Inquisitor combo since you have very few choices.

I'd like to start a small project on the Mass Effec-40K matter. I'm trying to find the similarities between the combat doctrines from the two universes. I may post a topic one of those days ;)

One more thing on the "do not steal everything from Mass Effect": it is a great series who can give great inspiration to out hobby projects, so if we avoid any Red-Blue-Green explosion we should be fine :tongue.:

But the Imperium's fighting the Nids in the same old way, Messor. They're trying little adaptations, but not big ones, like restoring the Space Marine Legions. The Nids are being fought when they reach the Imperium, rather than before they do, which costs worlds.

Clearly, only the discipline and power of the Space Marines can lead the Imperium through these dark times.

EDIT: Also, Behemoth is only 7 years after the 26th Founding. Plenty close enough.

Edited by Octavulg

But the Imperium's fighting the Nids in the same old way, Messor. They're trying little adaptations, but not big ones, like restoring the Space Marine Legions. The Nids are being fought when they reach the Imperium, rather than before they do, which costs worlds.

Clearly, only the discipline and power of the Space Marines can lead the Imperium through these dark times.

EDIT: Also, Behemoth is only 7 years after the 26th Founding. Plenty close enough.

Boom! Nids! You know it's good if Octavulg agrees with me. That alone is rare enough to make the idea a winner. 

Woops, almost missed this.

I'm not sure if this is in reference to something I said. The problem I'm having is that there doesn't seem to be much middle ground between a gene-stealer infestation, which is too tame for what I want, and the splinter fleet invasion, which seems too long, and involved for a Chapter in it's youth to handle alone, which is what I want. I'm sure a Tyranid invasion could cause the necessary paradigm shift, I've just always got that impression that it's not the kind of thing a Chapter takes on by itself.

Well, since it would be a relatively new event for the Imperium, being one of the earliest Tyranid actions, they could approach however they pleased. Also, you could definitely incorporate the Nids as the Reapers, since the chapter shifts from paragon defenders of humanity to evil/pseudo evil villians willing to sacrifice anything. Also, the tech aspect could be incorporated as well. They could see the Reapers/Nids absolute control via the Hive Fleet and desire it for themselves. By experimenting on the Geneseed with Tyranid genes they can unlock new abilities/dangers, as well as making sure that their "control" over these test subjects was absolute. This would lead to multiple circumstances of mutation/dangers, all very much like the risks Cerebus and TIM are willing to take. New psychic abilities could be unlocked, as well as abilities like control over lesser Nid beasts. They could be so focused on defeating the Nids that they don't realize the damage they are causing to the Imperium as a whole. Lastly, the Nids present the classic Out of Context Villain that the Reapers so clearly represent. The galaxy is at war with Villains of every sort, but it isn't remotely ready for world devouring hives from beyond the known galaxy. Seriously, entire Space Marine Chapters go up against this monster and are destroyed and it just keeps coming. 

Edited by Shinzaren

...Why does your chapter have to confront a fleet personally? The Nids are invading. They're :cussing everywhere. The chapter can encounter them without a fleet running into the home world. Not everything the chapter does has to be prompted by things solely related to the chapter, after all.

Stop thinking "a Tyranid invasion" and think "the Tyranid invasion". The Hive Fleets threaten to engulf the galaxy. Your chapter does not need to personally confront a fleet in battle and prevail in order to realize this is a bad thing.

...Why does your chapter have to confront a fleet personally? The Nids are invading. They're :cussing everywhere. The chapter can encounter them without a fleet running into the home world. Not everything the chapter does has to be prompted by things solely related to the chapter, after all.

Stop thinking "a Tyranid invasion" and think "the Tyranid invasion". The Hive Fleets threaten to engulf the galaxy. Your chapter does not need to personally confront a fleet in battle and prevail in order to realize this is a bad thing.

I'm having a hard time seeing a Chapter developing without confronting things personally. I could possibly involve the SoU in some way. I'm not sure what you're getting at, if not that. The Chapter is at the home world, so yeah, a fleet would have to go there. Do I detect a suggestion for some sort of indirect contact? The Chapter coming across a processed world? It sounds refreshing compared to the "Someone thrashed our homeworld," shtick, but leaves a few questions. What does the Hive do with processed worlds? Are they producing more Nids? Are they occupied?

I also don't see what the difference in the last bit is. For one, every strike against a world is it's own invasion for that world. What time does the Chapter have to be wondering "What are our Brothers in the Segmentum next door up to"? A Chapter that's just picking up the pieces and thinking, "Yup, this looks bad," sounds boring as hell. Either way, I wouldn't presume to pit them against a fleet and prevail. That's exactly the problem: If that happened, they'd get their arses kicked. My statement in my previous post wasn't meant to be "I want them to beat a splinter fleet", but rather, "I want them to be responsible for retaking their own semi-ravaged world". Sorry I worded it poorly.

The only idea I'm managing to piece together from this is the Chapter discovers a processed, dead world, with its obvious red flags, and return home to discover and route out a gene-stealer cult, which could lead to the interest in the Tyranid ability to control. Issues I see with this so far: Mainly that I don't see much to work with regarding how the Chapter discovers the synapse control, since until at least that point it's a fairly normal, meat headed Chapter.

Edited by Messor

The idea of them discovering a dead world definitely has appeals/parallels to Mass Effect. Like the vanished colonies, the Marines arrive late to the party and are left to pick through the rubble. To give them a definitive scale of threat, you could have a battlefield littered with empty armor of other Space Marines and Baneblade Tanks, their organic and biological material all drained to feed the Hive. The Apocaplypse books give some cool indications of how a Hive fleet consumes a world, and I will look into them when I get home to see if I can help there. What I remember for sure is that any form of organic material is stripped away, and the planet is transformed into a spawning pool for future Nids. Think Zerg and Char from SC 1&2 (appropriate, since the Nids are the basis of the Zerg). When the fleet moves on, the world just pumps out more NIds until all genetic material and biological/organic matter is used up. The world is then truly dead, devoid of atmosphere, any and all life, and ability to ever support life again.

When they return to their chapter for findings, have them follow the path of dead worlds, eventually coming on either a recently conquered/still Nid infested world, or a world on the edges of the invasion that is suffering pre-invasion attacks/minor raids from splinter factions. This allows them to confront the enemy for real and get a true sense of the Horror the Nids represent. Especially a recently conquered world. The bulk of the Hive could have moved on, leaving just enough Nids to defend the spawning pools. Your lads come in with a hail of gunfire and finally realize what they are up against. They may or may not win, but either way, they are too late to save the world and the Nids have already fed. This could really drive home the point that the Nids are biggest, the baddest, the toughest threat ever, and your lads have to sacrifice anything to stop them.

That's my 2 cents on the topic. I am hugely interested in seeing how this progresses Messor, since you have a lot of great ideas you are incorporating.

The Chapter is at the home world, so yeah, a fleet would have to go there.

Chapters are big. They move. They have fleets.

Do I detect a suggestion for some sort of indirect contact? The Chapter coming across a processed world? It sounds refreshing compared to the "Someone thrashed our homeworld," shtick, but leaves a few questions. What does the Hive do with processed worlds? Are they producing more Nids? Are they occupied?

The Hive Fleet creates completely barren dead worlds - strips off all the organic matter. That's Nids 101, dude.

I also don't see what the difference in the last bit is. For one, every strike against a world is it's own invasion for that world. What time does the Chapter have to be wondering "What are our Brothers in the Segmentum next door up to"? A Chapter that's just picking up the pieces and thinking, "Yup, this looks bad," sounds boring as hell.

First, not if you handle it well. Second, that's not what I'm suggesting. The chapter could be part of some larger engagements against the various Hive Fleets that are wandering around.

The only idea I'm managing to piece together from this is the Chapter discovers a processed, dead world, with its obvious red flags, and return home to discover and route out a gene-stealer cult, which could lead to the interest in the Tyranid ability to control. Issues I see with this so far: Mainly that I don't see much to work with regarding how the Chapter discovers the synapse control, since until at least that point it's a fairly normal, meat headed Chapter.

Chapter is wandering around, doing Chaptery things. The Nids show up. The chapter is involved in a few battles. They get the intelligence updates. Their widely spread fleets see the danger across the Imperium. They know exactly the scale of the threat. They know exactly how much trouble the Imperium is in. And they see how ineffectual the counter-attacks are. They know that something needs to be done.

So what would a sensible chapter do? Take matters into their own hands. Train. Build. Organize. Lead. Find new sources of power and strength. The Cerberus stuff, basically.

Edited by Octavulg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the rewrite is finally underway. Right now I'm just cutting out swathes and sort of pasting in ideas wherever they fit. I wanted to revisit some of your suggestions before getting too far along.

Not Necrons, Nids. They could be harvesting unique genetic specimens to grow the Hive's abilities. I dunno about the timing, but the Nids fit more as an enemy to match the Collectors. Whole colonies/worlds disappear without a trace. No one has a clue. Also, perhaps you could implement the CAT6 connection to Cerberus that ME3 opened. They utilize those deemed unfit/unsafe/incapable of duty. Perhaps they utilize their failed applicants in some twisted manner? Also, if you wanted to get really dirty, you could be secretly recruiting the unwanted of other chapters/organizations? Curing/manipulating gene-seed definitely seems right up the Illusive Man's alley, especially if it comes at the cost of his troops well-being? After all, it's the results he is interested in, he doesn't care about the human cost.

I definitely have to include the CAT6 business, though the issue becomes how: seeking out and recruiting Fallen(Worth what, a line or two of rumor?)? What more do we know of the 'unwanted' of other Chapters? Renewing attempts to implant adults? The Sleeping Death shock troops will definitely be carrying over as Death Company...

Well, since it would be a relatively new event for the Imperium, being one of the earliest Tyranid actions, they could approach however they pleased. Also, you could definitely incorporate the Nids as the Reapers, since the chapter shifts from paragon defenders of humanity to evil/pseudo evil villians willing to sacrifice anything. Also, the tech aspect could be incorporated as well. They could see the Reapers/Nids absolute control via the Hive Fleet and desire it for themselves. By experimenting on the Geneseed with Tyranid genes they can unlock new abilities/dangers, as well as making sure that their "control" over these test subjects was absolute. This would lead to multiple circumstances of mutation/dangers, all very much like the risks Cerebus and TIM are willing to take. New psychic abilities could be unlocked, as well as abilities like control over lesser Nid beasts. They could be so focused on defeating the Nids that they don't realize the damage they are causing to the Imperium as a whole. Lastly, the Nids present the classic Out of Context Villain that the Reapers so clearly represent. The galaxy is at war with Villains of every sort, but it isn't remotely ready for world devouring hives from beyond the known galaxy. Seriously, entire Space Marine Chapters go up against this monster and are destroyed and it just keeps coming.

This'd be a great justification to include the Fex I got so long ago and haven't taken out of the box. Just have to pick up an HQ and Troops...and an opponent that will let them ally. I might have to come up with fitting adaptations of the BA psychic powers.

The Hive Fleet creates completely barren dead worlds - strips off all the organic matter. That's Nids 101, dude.

I definitely skipped that class.

But I think I'll swing a combination of the above, the Chapter discovering a dead world, perhaps another, then the back end of an invasion, which they survive with the help of the SoU(partly because it makes sense, and partly because it'll help me resist the impulse to make another Chapter), probably forced to retreat. When they get a chance to collect themselves, the universe suddenly looks a whole lot meaner, and anything goes.

Edited by Messor

• 1 month later...

Whew. Finally got to sit down and hammer out a little detail on this new take. Still not too far at the moment, but coming along. I've left out all the parts that got little to no changes. I've still got the idea of using CAT6 and other rejects as recruits/shock troops bouncing around in my head, but haven't yet figured how to apply it. The next task will be some retooling of the Combat Doctrine to reflect some findings or experiences with the Nids. I also wanted to cut Terra as much as possible out of the origins and haven't quite succeeded. Justifying the difference of opinion between Maeleth and his former CM feels awkward without a third party. Thoughts on how the new direction is shaping up?

Walking the Thin Line: The Cerberus Chapter
gallery_57008_7672_4420.jpg

Origins[/skullheaderhalf]

D
uring the millennia following the Sentinel Founding, the Sons of Unity Chapter had many successful campaigns, repelling numerous Ork, and later Tyranid and Tau incursions on a number of fronts. On several occasions the Chapter performed joint operations with regiments of the Imperial Guard, as well as other Adeptus Astartes Chapters, and always to great effect. On other occasions, when the threat of the Orks or other xenos was too great and no Imperial allies were at hand, the Chapter fought alongside the forces of xenos which shared threatened worlds, even once at the side of the elusive Eldar. Many brothers grew concerned that the Chapter was compromising too much, and risked opening the door to xenos uprisings.

Some wonder if Terra was aware of these concerns, for in the 26th Founding, the Sons of Unity were called upon to sire a successor. Chosen to lead this new Chapter was the lauded Captain of the 5th Company, Janus Maeleth. If any single marine exemplified the mindset of those brothers believing that xenos contact was weakening the Chapter, it was Maeleth. Given leave to choose those brothers he deemed fit for the training cadre, Maeleth took with him many who shared his fervor. Before ever reaching their home world the Chapter had its name and its purpose. They were Cerberus, and with watchful eyes in every direction they would guard the Imperium against the unworthy.

Home World[/skullheaderhalf]

Assigned Home World: Shanxi

Shanxis history in the Imperiums records is a small, tragic footnote. It had been colonized barely more than three centuries prior to the organization of the Cerberus Chapter, and enjoyed notoriety as the assigned world for the growing force. Colonists favored the world for having Adeptus Astartes protectors, although no colonist was ever allowed to see or interact with a Cerberus Marine. For several decades after the founding, Shanxi enjoyed unparalleled peace. After that, much Imperial record is absent for almost half a century, as the appearance of the Tyranids occupies almost the whole of Imperial attention.

Chapter records indicate that widespread Cerberus strike forces began to have strange encounters, receiving distress calls from no less than three Imperial worlds only to arrive and find almost nothing left. Each world bore the same scars: stripped of atmosphere and any biological material, fallen cities, great battlefields littered with the empty shells of vehicles and even armorsometimes that of the Space Marines. As this news, along with reports from the wider Imperium, filtered back to the Chapter Master, he regrouped the Chapter fleet and set out with all haste towards the next call for aid. The world they came upon was in its death throes. Patches already devoid of all life or livability, what remained was a blanket of biomatter, still in the act of consuming the planetand spewing forth monstrosities as it went.

Descending to purge the world, Cerberus found aid in the arrival of a Sons of Unity strike fleet. The combined force confronted an enemy like no other. They had fought the tides of the Orks, but could hardly comprehend the waves of gnashing, swarming, chitinous teeth and blades. Even their greater beasts, as powerful and deadly as any Chaos war machine, or demonic champion, came in great numbers. Within a matter of days the marines of both Chapters had suffered staggering losses, and were driven from the planet, forced to watch the world die through the rear viewports of their fleets as they departed.

The Fleet:

Upon returning to Shanxi, the Chapter uprooted. As unfathomable as the Tyranid threat was, it had to be fought, its momentum broken, and now the Chapter had a score to settle. An expanded Cerberus fleet now works towards the ultimate goal of understanding and stopping the Tyranids, regardless of the cost. The Chapter maintains semi-rooted local bases wherever its cells operate, whether conducting research or mounting offensives against Tyranid forces. Most of the Chapters marines are concentrated in roving fleet detachments with the highest ranking marine overseeing two to three local operations, which are largely staffed and run by serfs.

Battle Barge: Anadius

Strike Cruiser: Western Maw, Crimson Maw, Winter Maw, Fang of Orthus, Charon, Penumbra Apex, Strobilos, Kharybdis, (Scylla)

Key Worlds:

Cord-Hislop- Secret Manufactorum/Serf recruitment

Eldfell Ashworld- Warp->Population experiment, Imperial Freighter Ter Alan

Combat Doctrine

T
he Cerberus Chapter is well and truly divergent from their progenitors. The Chapters cell organization has led to Cerberus Marines being accustomed to limited communication. In battle, the spread of squads will often use long ranged attacks to probe enemy weaknesses. Upon finding one, the squads redeploy with those facing stiffer resistance giving ground in order to support the rest of the force in striking the weak point. Often, by the time an enemy realizes that their targets have not retreated, but flanked them, it is too late for a counter. When two or more cells fight together, one commander will preside and give broad orders which squad leaders are free to accomplish as they see fit, making the force as a whole unpredictable.

Cerberus strategies revolve around being rapid, and untouchable; altogether elusive, with only the necessary applications of brute force. They do not employ devastator squads or battle tanks and have few transports, having lost a great deal of heavy equipment in their first confrontations with the Tyranids. Through extensive research they have adopted a unique brand of Dreadnought known as the Atlas, which make use of highly modular chassis to house and conceal data cores. These have greatly aided in protecting Chapter data stores by giving them both mobility and defenses, and added greatly to their ability to get battlefield telemetry, but also made them the Chapters most important relics.

[skullheaderhalf=202020]Organization

Current Chapter Master: Janus Maeleth- The Chapter Master lives up to the title by which the Chapter serfs identify him: the Illusive Man. Their defeat by the Hive resounded deeply with Maeleth and prompted an endless search for something, anything, that would give them an edge over these relentless enemies. Maeleth has led the Chapter from strength to strength since then, but their search is never over.

[skullheaderhalf=202020]Beliefs

S
ince Janus original manifesto against the xenos, the Chapters views have evolved into the same. Xenos civilizations are seen as obstructions to humanitys progress, useful only for providing mankind with the resources and technology necessary to advance. The arrival of the Tyranids has been cited as further justification for unsanctioned research into xenos technology. The Chapter venerates knowledge only. Through the Chaplains, Janus has taught that the Emperor is no more, that while he was the pinnacle of humankind in his time, he will not return. Humanity must carve its own path in the galaxy, but is ill equipped to do so. The Cerberus Chapter is their strong arm, the one force truly looking out for mans best interests. To this end, life is a resource which sometimes must be sacrificed. To save humanity from threats both new and ancient, the Chapter will overthrow an Imperial Governor or assassinate an Inquisitor in a heartbeat if they believe them to be a hindrance to the Chapters strength, believing that strength for Cerberus is strength for humanity.

Unlike most imperial organizations, xenos tech is not abhorred but treasured and studied by the Chapter, who believe it is the key to ensuring mankinds dominance in the galaxy. The Chapter has cells researching Mind Impulse Unit applications, teams in every corner of two Segmentums searching for STCs, and machine cults working constantly at reverse engineering useful xenos tech. Much of this technology finds its way onto the battlefield, with frequent use of plasma and power weapons, and every scouts first weapon is the sniper rifle. The most frequent meeting of Cells are the Armory and Artifact contingents, the former often ensuring the security of the latter as lost relics and potentially useful tech is hunted down for the Chapters collection and study.