Dechande's true scale thread. 11/09 War walker cockpit added

Dechande

I have been working on this figure for a while. I wanted a true scale Commander for the true scale marines I have been building.

I started making the figure with green stuff and have since switched to 'Pro-create' (Grey stuff?) for everything. The mini is completely made from scratch.

I have plans to get it cast, I was in talks with someone to do it but they haven't got back to me. I have had trouble finding a mold maker and caster of resin products online in the UK, does anyone know of such a company in the UK? Perhaps someone could PM me? I don't know the first thing about making resin casts.

There are gaps at the waist and neck, this is where it comes apart, he's 'blu-tacked' together for the pics.

I didn't have a regular marine around for a scale pic but I took a pic next to my true scale terminator captain conversion to give some idea of his size. Next I am working on some more true scale pieces that I'll put pics up of as they're finished.

Hope you like him, all c&c and questions welcome.

gallery_62466_7720_57208.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_81217.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_126851.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_144078.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_77785.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_319723.jpg

gallery_62466_7598_42348.jpg

Edited by Dechande

is it okay to critique? cause i honestly dont like the pose his arms are in, it just kinda looks awkward and unrealistic..

Of course it is, I appreciate if people take the time to give feedback. Like Caprera says, he's supposed to be firing with the left bolter, whilst the right arm is kind of relaxed with an open hand.

Rider-75, when I can get him cast you'll not need to be jealous!

Edited by Dechande

One thing I would like to see is a bit more detail. As it is the fists look a little plain and this emphasizes their blockiness, which isn't very appealing (at least, I don't think so). I see you have the capabilities to make this guy much more ornate, so why don't you? ;)

To be honest, I was worried about doing too much. That's one of the great things about getting people's opinions, I think I have stared at this model long enough lol, it's good to get a fresh perspective from others.

I had considered doing a sort of 'border' around the fists and 'knuckle bit' (I don't like the four little skulls in a row), perhaps the finger sections or one end of each finger section. If these were there and painted gold/white this would break up the shape and give more of an ornate look? Let me know what you/others think of this idea.

One thing I would like to see is a bit more detail. As it is the fists look a little plain and this emphasizes their blockiness, which isn't very appealing (at least, I don't think so). I see you have the capabilities to make this guy much more ornate, so why don't you? ;)

To be honest, I was worried about doing too much. That's one of the great things about getting people's opinions, I think I have stared at this model long enough lol, it's good to get a fresh perspective from others.

I had considered doing a sort of 'border' around the fists and 'knuckle bit' (I don't like the four little skulls in a row), perhaps the finger sections or one end of each finger section. If these were there and painted gold/white this would break up the shape and give more of an ornate look? Let me know what you/others think of this idea.

I may be in the minority here, but I think studs on one of the fists (like in the DV models) could help a lot. It would break up the larger areas while still maintaining a martial feel.

is it okay to critique? cause i honestly dont like the pose his arms are in, it just kinda looks awkward and unrealistic..

Of course it is, I appreciate if people take the time to give feedback. Like Caprera says, he's supposed to be firing with the left bolter, whilst the right arm is kind of relaxed with an open hand.

Rider-75, when I can get him cast you'll not need to be jealous!

That's exactly what the pose says to me.....

Casting would be awesome ^_^

Not really a fan of the Ultramarines but...

i cant vocalise how much this irritates me.. especially when the models in question arent even painted.

at this stage theres no difference between this model as an ultramarine than there would if this model were a imperial fist or raven guard. (bar the small emblems)

the model itself is amazing, my fave is the company champ in the size comparison pic.. lovin it

First of all, this is a truly imposing model, and you should be proud of what your sculpting skills have achieved. Both on this model, your terminator, and your honor guard.

That said, I'm going to second the notion of adding studs onto the "blank" powerfist to give it some detail and still maintain a militaristic feel.

I will diverge from previous comments and say that, to me, the middle of the torso needs to be bulked up somewhat. You've managed to make a weird power armor/terminator armor hybrid between the chestplate and the legs, and I think it skews the proportions into an almost cartoony look. If you like it, that's fine- just my two throne geld's worth of opinion on that one.

Once again, a fantastic model overall.

Have you thought about sculpting any models/shiny things/bits at regular scale?

Oh my Primarch!

Do keep us apprised on how the casting goes, it occurs to me that your truescale commander would be very much the proper demigod scale against normal marines.

Excellent work, sir.

I had a think about what some of you have said and added some more detail bits to the fists, made them look more like relics. All the pics have been taken under a regular lamp with an iphone, so they're not the greatest and seem to amplify imperfections and area that have been filed & cut.

Please let me know what you think:

gallery_62466_7720_81636.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_14268.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_57400.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_98718.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_59638.jpg

gallery_62466_7720_432.jpg

Awesome job, I love it! Now my few bits of critique. As someone said before, the bolter feeds are a little to rounded, they need to be more square. They just kind of look "soft" right now.

The bionic eye looks a little too big right now. Shrink it down a bit and it should work better.

Also if you are going to cast this I think you should have an alternate head without any bionics. Since the model is so large it is the perfect Primarch scale for people not using true scale models. Since those fists look like Marneus Calgar's power fists, that previously belonged to Roboute Guilliman if you had a clean head this model could make a perfect Guilliman. You even have the 13th legion mark on his fist! :)