Dechande's true scale thread. 11/09 War walker cockpit added

Dechande

have you considered making the mold, and doing the casting by yourself? as a fellow sculptor i can tell you it is a lot less challenging that one might think. I cant say much about companies based in the UK, but here in the states, a company called Smooth-On makes excellent molding and casting products. I am a huge fan of their stuff and use if for most all of my projects. All in all, what im saying is mold and cast yourself. The knowledge is absolutely invaluable and it will save you a FORTUNE. if you have any questions at all feel free to PM me.

I'm making some headway into this area myself.  Would you mind if I PM'd you and picked your brain a little with a few questions of my own some time sombrero master?

@Somberomaster. I appreciate the info. My biggest problem is having the time to learn and do the casting. I did try to cast it myself/with a friend who has experience but the results were not ideal and no where near what I have now, thanks to paying a professional to do it. Obviously it does cost a fair bit to have it cast in small runs, hopefully I'll make some of it back when I sell these.

I'd certainly be interested in some pics of what you have made and cast though, if you'd like to share?

@Gargantuan. Thanks for the constructive post??

To be fair, he's right. You have a whole lot of GW icons and bits in that model. You could always do a more generic version which in turn could even sell better as the buyer can customize as needed. We don't all play the boys in blue.

An amazing sculpt nonetheless.

To be fair, he's right. You have a whole lot of GW icons and bits in that model. You could always do a more generic version which in turn could even sell better as the buyer can customize as needed. We don't all play the boys in blue.

An amazing sculpt nonetheless.

He is indeed correct. Too much gives this away as a GW-based model and so unless you want GW lawyers knocking at your door, you'd better make the model more generic if you plan on selling it.

Excellent work though :)

• 11 months later...

It's been some time since I last posted. Unfortunately I was in hospital last year with a fairly serious head injury and I didn't pick up a paintbrush or sculpting tools for just over a year. In January I decided to start this project, it has gone quite quickly but has still taken many hours to complete. It isn't quite finished really, there are a few gaps I need to fill in before I can get it cast. I may add some wiring/more bits to the axe yet also.

This figure isn't anyone in particular, the original thought was Odin in terminator armour. I used the legs and torso from my last figure after plenty of cutting and filing. He stands 55mm at the tallest point and 45mm to eye level. I got a pic of him next to a GW figure for comparison.

The feedback I got on the Ultramarine was really helpful, so, with that in mind, all comments and criticism welcome as well as any questions :smile.:

gallery_62466_9321_94226.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_30660.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_41711.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_126629.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_27889.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_41872.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_45295.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_31676.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_119995.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_65729.jpg

gallery_62466_9321_101294.jpg

The sword is the same height as the right hand figure, the axe is longer.

That is gorgeous! Loads of detail without it being too crowded :happy.: Russ himself would be proud!

Amazing. The pose is really great and the details look fantastic. I really like the face.

However, if I were to offer some constructive critisism, I think that the fur is a bit too even. It looks carefully trimmed rather then a wild wolf. Especially the loincloth - it almost looks like chainmail. But that is just a minor critique on an otherwise amazing figure.

Outstanding work, brother.

My favourite part of the sculpt has to be the face. Proof that you dont always need protruding fangs to show the character of a space wolf, just nordic charm.

Welcome back, my only question is has the head injury improved your modelling skills? :smile.:

Edited by Astartes-ULTRA

First off, welcome back and I wish you continued healing. Head injuries are not fun.

Secondly, what a beautiful monster he is. You have given him so much character and presence. <stands and applauds>

I do agree regarding the above comments, that the pelt could be a tad more uneven, but other than that...just wow!

Amazing work, I agree with the other posters.

Only thing I would suggest is maybe add something to the back of the pelt, like a chain with some wolf teeth or runic totems, something to break up the large expanse of fur.