CHILDREN OF THE STORM

The Sons of Tempest consider dying in service a sin. They do not worship martyrs or honor their dead they scorn them, for only the living may continue to fight in the Emperors name.

Sons of Tempest Primaris

Chapter Name:......... The Sons of Tempest
Progenitor:........... Unknown
Founding Chapter:..... The Marines Eternal
Known Successors:..... None
Founding:............. 23rd M38
Chapter Master:....... Prosperus
Homeworld:............ Miranda III Tempest
Fortress-Monastery:... Ariel
Colours:.............. Prussian Blue with White Trim
Chapter Symbol:....... Hurricane Viewed from Above
Strength:............. Approx. 720

Origins

"To mourn is to celebrate atrocity." -- Chapter Master Prosperus

T
he Sons of Tempest were products of the 23rd Founding besides such chapters as the Imperial Harbingers and the Nova Warriors. Having lost a devastating number of chapters between M36 and M37, the High Lords of Terra conceived a new founding that would remain on near permanent crusade. The Sons of Tempest were organized into self-sufficient companies, similar in structure to the Marines Errant, rather than as a strict codex chapter. No records remain of their progenitor chapter, the Marines Eternal.

It is not known whether this resulted from circumstances surrounding the chapters formation or their founding chapters destruction, but the Sons of Tempest developed a dogma intolerant of death in the Emperors service. Fallen brothers are treated as sinners rather than martyrs by the chapter. This position has kept them at odds at times with the Ecclesiarchy and their brother Astartes, most particularly the Star Phantoms.

The Sons of Tempest actively purge the records of fallen marines, so much of their history has been lost. Those seeking information beyond the chapter's living history must look to organizations they served alongside. For example, Imperial Guard records show that the Ork warlord Nagrim Skarzod was defeated by the Sons of Tempest in 112.M38 and can confirm the Chapter took part in actions in the Melmoth System following the discovery of a Genestealer Cult on the hive world Bertram.

In another instance, unsealed documents from the Ordo Xenos report the detection of an Eldar craftworld in the Ulthar System in 294.M39 and its ultimate destruction with the aid of the Sons of Tempest in 327.M39. However additional records, if they exist, remain classified.

History
Ancient Martolus
We accomplished what we came for and moved as shadows through the Xenos temple. It was not until we reached our extraction point that we were ambushed. I took my share of them, but they plunged their talons deep as they fell upon me. And then came darkness. Moments short and faded dimly made their way through the black. The bodies of my brothers in sin lying about me. The ceiling of the Thunderhawk. Adrianus hovering above me, his narthecium purring. When it was over, they let the Deathwatch claim me. I am cursed to remain interred in this metal husk. I am cursed to remember my failure. I have come to share my stories with those who would hear them, as it is my final service: to remember and be cursed.

Ancient Martolus of the Deathwatch
Formerly a Son of Tempest

A
s a result of their permanent crusade, the Sons of Tempest have achieved a great deal for a relatively young chapter. While they do not share the fame of some of their brother chapters, they have forged a respectable record of service since their chapter's founding.

The current Chapter Master, Prosperus, has served for over 800 years and most of the history is known from his tenure. Prosperus took command of the Chapter during the suppression of the Macharian Heresy in 412.M41 following the death of his predecessor. Eight of the Chapter's companies had been deployed in that campaign where they served notably beside the Star Phantoms, the Marines Malevolent, and the Magma Dragoons. Following their first joint actions, a violent conflict nearly erupted between the Star Phantoms and the Sons of Tempest over the issue of martyrdom. Chaplains from both forces engaged in furious discussions for two weeks before circumstances forced them to disengage. The chapters have since ceased all communication.

The Ork Warboss Toofrot invaded the subsector Montaigne in 533.M41. When three companies of the Sons of Tempest eventually arrived to reinforce the Imperial positions, the Orks had achieved total control of several systems. With the support of the Imperial Navy, the Sons of Tempest dislodged the greenskins planet-by-planet over the course of 30 years. Infighting eventually tore the Ork warband apart on the plains of Davenant after the death of Toofrot. Allied commanders are on record having complained the campaign would have been completed in half the time if the Astartes had not insisted on outrageously risk-averse strategies throughout the engagement.

The Sons of Tempest took part in the Pepys Crusade towards the beginning of the next century. After the Arch Heretic Garrick lead the Pepys Sector in open revolt, four companies of the Sons of Tempest and a myriad of other Imperial forces were sent to suppress the heresy. The campaign opened with the Purge of Dryden, where the chapter was responsible for the deaths of half the world's population. This was soon followed by the Massacre at Dorinda after the captain of the tenth company ordered the mass killing of civilians for their disloyalty. While the Sons of Tempest spearheaded the efforts of this campaign, the honor of Garrick's ultimate demise was claimed by a conscript of the Windsorian 609th Regiment.

In the aftermath of the First Tyrannic War, the chapter committed seven companies to hunting down splinters of Hive Fleet Behemoth. In the first engagement with the Tyranids, the entire Sixth Company was lost after their Strike Cruiser was destroyed above Orgel VII. The Sixth Company was never reformed and is remembered as a great stain on the chapter's history. Their loss has earned a particular enmity for Tyranids throughout the chapter.

At the end of the Second Tyrannic War, the chapter dedicated three companies solely to tracking and destroying splinter fleets of Hive Fleet Kraken. Because of their experience, the Deathwatch have taken to recruiting Sons of Tempest regularly for their experience with the Tyranids. There are currently 8 brothers serving with the Deathwatch.

Following the Night of a Thousand Rebellions in 992.M41, the chapter sent four companies to reclaim the Imperium's lost territories. However, five years into this campaign, with the advent of the Third Tyrannic War, the chapter recalled three of those companies prematurely to engage Hive Fleet Leviathan. In all, six companies are dedicated to eliminating the Tyrannid threat, including those that remain hunting remnants of Hive Fleet Kraken.

Homeworld
Father Salvectus, Chaplain of the Third Company
It was obvious afterwards, that there was no course of action except to execute the Planetary Governor. Father Salvectus did it himself. He walked into the Governors office, introduced him to his replacement, and then put a bolt in his head. I suspect the new Governor will be much more accommodating than his predecessor

Extracted testimony from a formal inquiry into the death of Governor Willem Jordain VI.

A
single ocean spans the entirety of Miranda III, the chapter's homeworld and the only habitable planet of the Miranda System. Locally, the planet is referred to as Tempest because of the constant, torrential storms. The inhabitants of the planet reside on floating colony ships and harvest kelp fields on the ocean floor. These colonies are designed to withstand the constant assault of brutal weather while housing hundreds of thousands.

The chapter's fortress-monastery is located on Ariel, the sole moon of Tempest. Ariel's surface is composed of a dark basalt and is without an atmosphere. Aspirants are trained and assigned companies on Ariel, where weapons and munitions are produced for the chapter and where the Chapter Master resides with his honor guard. While the majority of the chapter remain permanently fleet-borne on their company's strike cruiser, the Chapter Master remains stationed on Ariel except in extreme circumstances.

Despite the planets Adeptus Non tithe status, regiments of Imperial Guardsmen are frequently drawn up and deployed to the deadliest warzones to facilitate recruitment for the Sons of Tempest. The chapter recruits exclusively from the children of Tempests veterans, taking them from birth to Ariel in order for them to be tested and trained. Few of these children survive the induction process and fewer are successful. In the last trial before initiation, aspirants are dropped without equipment into the oceans of Tempest and stranded for days in order to weed out the weak. It is not uncommon for all the participants to drown.

Beliefs

"There is nothing heroic in death." -- Chaplain Veneratus in his final communication to the Star Phantoms

R
aised by chapter serfs from birth, the Sons of Tempest are extremely disciplined and loyal. Bred in them is a respect for caution, composure, and cold logic. Those who grow to know the Sons of Tempest learn that they are faithful and dependable servants of the Emperor, if they can see past their more unorthodox beliefs.

To the Sons of Tempest, the Emperor is venerated as the founder of the Imperium and Father of the Astartes, but He is also celebrated for His undying service. Even restricted to His throne on Terra, He continues to shine the light of the astronomican, the Imperium's greatest treasure. Members of the chapter typically refrain from discussing the Primarchs with other chapters, as they believe them to be failed creations, with most of them missing or slain and this controversial viewpoint has spoiled relations with several of their brother chapters.

Perhaps the most important aspect of the chapter's identity are their views on death and martyrdom. Death is seen as a way of avoiding responsibility. As the dead can no longer serve, dying is viewed as an act of extreme disloyalty a cowards way out. This has been a constant point of contention with would-be allies as the belief in martyrdom is fully integrated throughout Imperial dogma. While they have not been censured for their beliefs, they have a particularly difficult time working besides other Imperial organizations. Purging chapter records of the deceased also complicates such matters. Other Astartes tend to have long memories, rich with the traditions of their forebears, so it can lead to issues when the Sons of Tempest have no recollection of shared exploits or ancient grudges.

Combat Doctrine

"Disgraceful. They leave us to carry on the task without them." -- Captain Valente of the 9th Company

S
trategies implemented by the Sons of Tempest are reserved and conservative. The priority of commanders is always to keep brothers under their command alive. Assaults are typically planned with special attention reserved to deployment and extraction. While this leads to precision execution, it has often led to delayed action and missed opportunity.

Famously, after arriving to reinforce the Lion Warriors during the Felidane Heresy of 890.M40, the Sons of Tempest did not deploy any forces for first year of their involvement due to their overly cautious nature and the constantly shifting situation on the ground. Taking the inaction as a grievous insult, the Lion Warriors now refuse to participate in any campaign involving the Sons of Tempest.

The Sons of Tempest are most effective mounting defenses or slow advances due to their meticulous and careful nature. In a planetary assault, their first action is generally a mass assault to establish a foothold followed by reinforcement of that position. They are known to be able to turn even the most exposed positions into elaborate fortifications.

Organization

W
hile the Sons of Tempest still look to the principles of the Codex Astartes for their basic organization, they were conceived as a crusading chapter. The chapter is organized into nine self-sufficient battle companies. Each of these companies have their own strike cruiser and generally operate alone rather than jointly with other companies. Their forces remain fleetborne until they return to Ariel for reinforcement or supplies, which often means decades of separation. It is extremely rare for the entire chapter to be gathered in a single location and this has probably happened on only two or three occasions since the chapters founding.

As autonomous fighting forces, companies retain their veterans and scouts rather than separating them into their own organizational structures. The most senior brothers of a company are assigned command of five marine fire-teams, or fraternities, which arm themselves according to the mission at hand. In order to keep larger stores of geneseed, a company is generally made up of 80 marines and considers itself to be at full strength if it can field 15 fire-teams. Initiates are folded directly into a unit, though they do not see combat until their progenoids have matured.

The Honor Guard on Ariel, led by the Chapter Master, is composed of a veteran from each company. It is the responsibility of the Astartes remaining on Ariel to defend the fortress-monastery and train initiates before they are assigned to companies. Members of the Honor Guard represent their companies serving on a council to advise the Chapter Master.

Geneseed

T
hough the betcher's gland is present in the Sons of Tempest, it has become non-functional as a result of a defect in their geneseed. This is not an uncommon mutation, but nonetheless the chapter appears to be under particular scrutiny by the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Possibly as a response to the destruction of their founding chapter, the Sons of Tempest are especially careful with their stock of geneseed. Initiates do not see combat until their progenoids have been fully matured and extracted. Novice marines thus spend an extra ten years training before they are assigned to combat missions. In addition to this, each company stores half of its own geneseed stores separate from the rest of the chapter. These stockpiles are typically housed in the vaults of a companys strike cruiser.

Battle Cry
Intent
The intent of posting this IA has been to find and remove inconsistencies that may exist between this article and the actual canon. The goal of this project is to create a chapter that fits perfectly in the 40k setting. Harsh criticism and clarifying questions are welcome.

Thunder!

Sons Of Tempest

Author
Frater Micius is currently based out of Framingham, MA. He has been involved with Warhammer 40,000 since the end of 2nd Ed fielding SM, IG, and Ork armies. His terrible luck on the battlefield is the stuff of legends. The Sons of Tempest have been his pet project since 2011.

DIY Sons Of Tempest

SoT Impcat (white Bg)

Edited by Micius

That's a really solid Chapter there. Does their belief about death stem from The Tempest as well? I'm not very familiar with the play. Either way, that's an awesome piece of characterization. Marine allies must be awfully hard to come by with beliefs like those, but the justification for them is very very clear.

I would like to apologize to moi_a_mania, for arriving at such a similar name. While your Tempest Sons were not listed in the Tabula Astartes, I found them after digging through the subforum. I was unaware of your Polynesian themed marines at the time of my chapter's creation. Luckily, our chapters don't seem to share anything in common except in name, but unfortunately I am not enthusiastic about going back and renaming everything (my nomenclature is centered around Shakespeare's “The Tempest”). I think we'll just have to ignore each other in our respective head-canons.

Nobody's got a copyright on names, friend. Good luck.

Added beliefs, combat doctrine and organization. I have an important question before I can actually finish organization: do later foundings receive the same equipment earlier foundings do? The technology for building entirely new suits of Terminator Armor, Landspeeders and Dreadnoughts is lost (yes?), so do the Adeptus Mechanicus just have a bunch of these stored waiting to be deployed with new chapters or can they actually produce them or do new chapters get less (or no) equipment? What's going on with that?

@Messor,

Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't believe the Tempest really touches on themes of death. The idea for the chapter came first and the name came second, but in my not-so-exhaustive research I couldn't find a culture, organization or literary work that suggested dying to be sinful. The thought on allies was definitely something that crossed my mind, I don't think my chapter plays very well with others. Or rather, my chapter is perfectly willing to work with others, but others get put off by their unorthodox beliefs.

@CantonWC,

Thanks.

Well, the full text of the second draft is now complete and posted. I just edited in geneseed. Comments and criticism would be much appreciated.

The next project I'm going to be working on will be putting it into a pdf format that mimics actual indices. I've got one sample page so far.

I'm not sure anyone does this, but I went ahead and did a detailed structure of my force organization that includes names of each marine. Enjoy, I guess.

edit: Oh, and apologies for the double post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SONS OF TEMPEST - ORGANIZATION

Chapter (720): 9 Companies, 1 AM Attachment, 9 Chapter Elders, 1 Chapter Master

Mechanicus Attachment (10): 9 Brother Adepts, 1 Master of the Forge

Company (80): 15 Orders, 2 Honored Brothers, 1 Apothecary, 1 Chaplain, 1 Lord

Order (5): 4 Brothers, 1 Honored Brother

1 Astartes Chapter (9 Chapter Elders, 1 Chapter Master)

1 Adeptus Mechanicus Attachment (9 Brother Adepts, 1 Master of the Forge)

10 Astartes Companies (2 Honored Brothers, 1 Apothecary, 1 Chaplain, 1 Lord)

135 Astartes Orders (4 Brothers, 1 Honored Brother)

1 Chapter Master

9 Chapter Elders

1 Master of the Forge

9 Brother Adepts

9 Lords

9 Chaplains

9 Apothecaries

135 Honored Brothers

540 Brothers

--------------------------------------

* Note: Designations are held by a particular position and not by particular marines.*

DSG# 0000 – Chapter Master Bastien

<<SNIP>>

DSG# 1079 – Brother Gourdet

edit: added techmarines

edit: font size

edit: removed individual names 0001-1078 to adjust page length, also unnecessary

Edited by Micius

That's a post...with a thousand names...You named every marine? You don't have a thousand models, do you :)
It is a post with 720 names (all unique and contemporaneous), 80 man companies and all. I do not have a thousand models, I currently have 10 unpainted ones, lol. In the far future I may end up with a company's worth (most likely 7th company), but that is not something I am pursuing at the moment. I am more into the world building and literary aspects than I actually am with the game.

What I like about this though, is its applicable to the death sin theme. Every marine should want his name recorded. It means he's alive, and he's serving. If he dies, he'll be expunged like he never existed. They want those names to last up there as long as possible.
Terrifying, right? As a marine, you will have witnessed brothers of yours die and erased them from your existence, what if it happened to you? Definitely something I hope to have conveyed.

Your organization seems to reuse several elements multiple times, and confuses me a little.
Let me try to describe it in words, that will probably be less confusing.

There is one Chapter. There are 720 Marines in a Chapter. A Chapter consists of one Adeptus Mechanicus Attachment and nine Companies. Chapter Command is formed by nine Chapter Elders (the Honor Guard) and one Chapter Master.

There is one Adeptus Mechanicus Attachment. There are 10 Marines in an Adeptus Mechanicus Attachment. An Adeptus Mechanicus Attachment consists of nine tech-adepts (one attached to each company) and one Master of the Forge (remains on Ariel). Adeptus Mechanicus Attachment Command is given to the previously mentioned Master of the Forge.

There are nine Companies. There are 80 Marines in a Company. A Company consists of 15 Orders (fire-teams). Chapter Command is formed by one Chaplain Adjutant (Chaplain-in-Training), one Apothecary Adjutant (Apothecary-in-Training), one Apothecary, one Chaplain and one Captain.

There are 135 Orders. There are 5 Marines in an Order. An Order consists of four Marines and one Veteran Marine. Order Command is given to the previously mentioned Veteran Marine.

What do you mean by 'raised by Chapter serfs'? How young do they claim/accept recruits?
All sons born from the PDF of Miranda III, "Tempest," are taken by the chapter. These prospects are raised by chapter serfs from birth until they are deemed to be fit or unfit candidates for selection. Candidates unfit for selection are either returned planetside or become chapter serfs themselves. Actual training by the Space Marines of fit candidates is not undertaken until they are older (the traditional age that other chapters would generally begin recruiting at). Chapter Elders will determine from these candidates which will be taken as novitiates (the actual recruitment process). Novitiates are then weeded out until implantation, so that only those fit receive initiate-status.

Your organization is interesting, and I feel actually could soften the prejudice from other Chapter's. Most Chapters operate with larger contingents of marines, if I'm not mistaken, so a smaller force would be seen as less threatening.
You are not mistaken on the numbers, the Sons of Tempest consider themselves at full-strength with 720 marines (and large stockpiles of geneseed), while most chapters operate as close to 1,000 marines as they can (or more if they can get away with it [see Black Templars]). I agree that I am a less intimidating force than most. Most actions that my chapter takes are undertaken by a single company, which they consider to be at full strength with 80 marines (most actions in the 40k universe requiring far fewer than a full company of marines). My chapter doesn't have any Battle Barges either, so there's also that.

I am unsure if being seen as less intimidating in the 40k-verse would make you more friends or less. In the end, I still think it is a "how different can our opinions be before it becomes intolerable" kind of a thing. My marines aren't generally very vocal about it when speaking with other Astartes (they would never tell an Ultramarine they thought of Gulliman as a failure), but it's probably become a somewhat known thing by those that have heard anything about the SoT. The chaplains are vocal, but I'm sure my more intelligent commanders have learned to isolate them from allied forces as they cause problems (ie. SoT and the Star Phantoms).

I think that my original DIY Chapter would be willing to make short term joint ops with such a force, though only because of complimentary combat doctrines.
Well, feel free to write me into your head-canon if you'd like. Nothing Terra-shattering, but the SoT are not opposed to joint ops.

The Sons of Unity, on the other hand, have a propensity for working together/allying to get the job done. The Sons of Tempest would have it tough, but I think as far Adeptus Astartes go, they could scrape together some dependable, if awkward alliances.
I think that's generally whats up. Dependable, if awkward, short-term alliances followed by even more awkward reunions if they run into each other again more than 400 years or so later.

As for your question about the tech: I don't believe it is lost. I don't know if those things operate on the same STC principle as vehicles like SM tanks, but I think they've only lost the knowledge of how to reproduce the tech on their own, and can't reverse engineer it (too complex, maybe?). They can produce new suits, as long as they don't lose the patterns. Don't quote me on that, though <.<
I've resolved myself to giving the SoT about the amount of equipment as the other chapters of the 23rd founding got because I figure that makes sense. I don't have particular numbers because GW seems to avoid numbers where it can, but I feel that if I wanted to mention a dreadnought or some terminator armor it wouldn't be out of place. Thinking about it, I'm not really sure of the SoT's position on dreadnoughts. Something for me to ponder.

While I don't know if I caught it fully, the feeling I got was obviously negative towards interment in Dreads, which surprised me a little. I kind of expected them to look at those who fight and survive through grievous wounds to be interred in undying Dreads as blessed. Twists and turns, eh?

I imagine it coming from a position of guilt. Allowing yourself to have become unserviceable and then being granted a second body because they trust you won't disappoint them again. I wanted to convey shame and embarrassment. It only makes it worse that it lasts for an eternity. An eternity of "you would have allowed yourself to commit a terrible act."

• 1 year later...

Including the old introductory post was helping to break the format so I've moved it down here:

-------------- Old Post Below ---------------------
First off, hello! This is my first post on the B&C. I have for you here my DIY chapter, The Sons of Tempest. They were begun two or three years ago when I wrote the first draft of my IA (about two or three years before I learned of the existence of this forum). The contents of this post shall be as follows: (1) Statement of Intent (2) An Introduction (3) My Chapter in Bullet Points (4) A preview="" image[="" url]="" of="" my="" ia="" pdf="" that="" is="" not="" quite="" complete="" (5)="" ia,="" text="" the="" second="" draft="" (6)="" color="" scheme.
STATEMENT OF INTENT
My intention in posting this is to find and remove inconsistency that may exist between my creation and the grim darkness of the far future. My hope is to create a chapter that meshes with the fluff completely. My pursuits are primarily literary, I don't know if these imperial murder machines will ever see a game table (though at least a handful are sure to be modeled). I welcome harsh criticism and questions I didn't think to ask.

I would like to apologize to moi_a_mania, for arriving at such a similar name. While your Tempest Sons were not listed in the Tabula Astartes, I found them after digging through the subforum. I was unaware of your Polynesian themed marines at the time of my chapter's creation. Luckily, our chapters don't seem to share anything in common except in name, but unfortunately I am not enthusiastic about going back and renaming everything (my nomenclature is centered around Shakespeare's

Very, very interesting idea, well done.

Questions to think about: What are their goals as individuals? By this I mean that in most Chapters a Marine's goal will be a long and glorious record of victories concluding with death in battle and being remembered as the biggest badass the Chapter ever produced. I think in 40k (as opposed to 30k) Marines accept that, although long lived, they are still mortal. Your guys will be opposed to most of this. What do they strive for? How do they view death-by-old-age? Do they accept they will die at all if they are good/strong/skilled/whatever enough to avoid it?

Strike Captain Lysimachus makes good point, while the idea of death= shame is unique and interesting, it's counterintuitive for people, who sacrifice their lives so others might keep their own.

~ NightrawenII

• 1 year later...

It's been a while, but the third draft has been posted. Most of the edits done were to tighten up the language and formatting. Hopefully this addresses questions regarding recruitment more satisfactorily.

@LySiMachus

Thank you! I imagine their prime motivator as being duty and guilt. While a Dark Angel might want redemption, an Ultramarine might want glory, and a Space Wolf might want a good scrap; I think for the Sons of Tempest, the desire to not be forgotten and a soul-crushing fear of death is what gets them going. Beyond this, I am sure that these marines would still want a long and glorious record of victories, while definitely not the death in battle (or in any other context).

I think they probably are terrified by death by old age - the thought of being erased from history for reasons beyond your own control? Absolutely devastating.

In my imagination, each marine deals with it separately. Some marines are probably so conceited they think they couldn't possibly die. Others are probably so terrified of the next mission being their last that they dread being deployed.

@NightrawenII

I am not so sure. I have never been to war (or been a genetically modified superhuman), but I imagine that such feelings are possible. Here's an analogy: imagine you are the star-player on a sports team and in the middle of a big game, you walked off the field and retired. This is how the SoT think about dying on the field of battle. The Emperor believed in you, he trusted you, raised you, made you a hero among men, gave you the best possible tools he could to carry out your mission, and then you failed him. You decided it was too hard to carry on and died.

While the official creed of the SoT plays out like that, I am sure each individual marine has their own nuanced opinions and beliefs. Some marines likely think there are ways to die that are beyond an individual marine's control and feel conflicted about that. Some probably think about their eventual death by natural causes should they not die in combat and feel conflicted about that. Others might buy into it heavily and praise the Emperor that another sinner has left his service, leaving more pure individuals to carry out His work.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...