Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sternguard drop pod list advice needed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Shibayoma

Shibayoma

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
Hail battle brothers.

I'm working in this list for a local tourney coming up in a few months. It's 1850

I like the idea of drop stern guard giving that early knock out blow and here's what I've come up with so far.

Drop Pod Sternguard (Space Marines)
Elites - 890
9 Sternguard Veterans (345)
+1 Space Marine Sergeant (chainsword; combi-flamer); 3× combi-flamer; 4× combi-melta; 2× heavy flamer.
Drop Pod

+1 Space Marine Sergeant (combi-flamer); 3× combi-flamer; 4× combi-melta; 2× heavy flamer.
Drop Pod

4 Assault Terminators (200)
+1 Terminator Sergeant.

Troops - 238
7 Scouts (119)
+1 Scout Sergeant (melta bombs); 4× sniper rifle.

7 Scouts (119)
+1 Scout Sergeant (melta bombs); 4× sniper rifle.

Fast Attack - 130
Stormtalon (130)

Heavy Support - 225
4 Devastators (225)
+1 Space Marine Sergeant; 4× plasma cannon.
Drop Pod

1,483 points

So the basic Idea is the two unit's of Sternguard come in turn 1 (the devestators have a drop pod that remains empty so at least half come in turn 1)

The rest of the army supports with long range firepower / securing objectives

Not sure wether I should go with kantor for scoring Sternguard or Vulcan to get more reliability in that first strike.

Comments suggestions criticisms welcome

Thanks

Mannyu78

Mannyu78

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts
I'd go with Kantor on this list, but I'm worried about your mobility and staying power.

The Assault termies with Kantor will be nasty as long as he's on the board and in range. I do weel that you have stuck too many points into your devestators. For that price you could have two predator destructors and a multi-melta attack bike.

With your focus being on the sterguard hitting power you need to give your oppenent something else to worry about, split his focus. Snipers are annoying, put not hurtful IMO. Your devestators will get focused.

I think that without Kantor, your opponent would be able to wipe out your scouts squads and leave your sternguard foot slogging the field, unable to score.

Shibayoma

Shibayoma

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the advice, i think ill go with kantor I was leaning that way anyway just needed a kick!

The reason for the devs is to get the third drop pod into the list. with all my elite slots taken up i cant put a dread in and ive never been a fan of Tactical squads in drop pods.

Id Be open to drop out the devs if i could get that third pod in so that both unit of sternguard hot the table on my first turn

Edited by Shibayoma, 17 September 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Mannyu78

Mannyu78

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts
I'm using a similar list, 2 drop pod stern squads and a drop dread. I looked at it as the second sternguard squad dropping from reserve to mop up, strengthen a position I needed, or take objective.

I also didn't notice you had extra points. I would offer that you add some mobile fire. Typhoons, Rifleman Dread, Predators, etc.

Edited by Mannyu78, 17 September 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Shibayoma

Shibayoma

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
Did you not find it took away from the alpha strike capability? id be concerned that dropping just one squad they'd be quite easy to take out where as both at once not only pours out fire but also helps increase survivability

I have a pair of typhoons i could add, would a second stormtalon be as good for the points?

the other thing i have looked at is drop the devs and run a tac squad the points are similar but i keep coming back to the fact that the devs are so much more useful than basic tac marines.

I have pondered a Master of the forge to fortify some terrain to help aid the devs.

Mannyu78

Mannyu78

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts
My list is at 2000, and I was running 3 Predators with Heavy Bolters, 2 Typhoons, MM/HF Speeder. I look at my sternguard as infanry killers, so I'd rather have them in after vehicles are popped.

I haven't played with a starmtalon, so I'd have to pass on that advice.

I'd keep the devs over tacticals if you could, but one tactical squad in a rhino is a hard troop choice to kill off. Running Kantor with sterns helps because they can now score too, making the scouts not a high priority.

MotF with Conv Beamer with the Devs would be a cool choice, but I don't think the rest of the list meshes with it

Edited by Mannyu78, 17 September 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Shibayoma

Shibayoma

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
Plenty to ponder, I think I'll try the dev squad out and see how it works (I've ordered the bits for in now anyway while I was ordering some more Sternguard parts)

My hope is having the Sternguard down early and the devs backing them up it's enough to splitt the fire.

Shibayoma

Shibayoma

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
Ok taken on some of the advice from above here's my 1850 list

Drop Pod Sternguard (Space Marines)
HQ - 175
Chapter Master Pedro Kantor (175)

Elites - 890
+1 Space Marine Sergeant (chainsword; combi-flamer); 3× combi-flamer; 4× combi-melta; 2× heavy flamer.
Drop Pod

+1 Space Marine Sergeant (combi-flamer); 3× combi-flamer; 4× combi-plasma; 2× heavy flamer.
Drop Pod

4 Assault Terminators (200)
+1 Terminator Sergeant (thunder hammer; storm shield); 4× thunder hammer; storm shield.

Troops - 228
7 Scouts (114)
+1 Scout Sergeant; 7× sniper rifle.

7 Scouts (114)
+1 Scout Sergeant; 7× sniper rifle.

Fast Attack - 330
Stormtalon (150)
new option; new option.

1 Land Speeder (90)
Typhoon missile launcher.

1 Land Speeder (90)
Typhoon missile launcher.

Heavy Support - 225
4 Devastators (225)
+1 Space Marine Sergeant; 4× plasma cannon.
Drop Pod

1,848 points

Ming

Ming

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,265 posts
Very nice list! But, some things to consider -

Devs - 4 plasma cannons may be overkill for the unit...save some points either by dropping one PC, or changing some to MLs, use the change to get cloaks on scouts or other buffs.

As for the sternguard...I postulate that there is a point when a unit has too many points in it for what you can reasonably get back. The large number of flamer templates you have applied to them may be overkill...game the unit out vs a charging 10-berzerker unit as an example...with snapfire, how many flamers plus other weapons are needed to make it hurt them on the charge? Also...the combimeltas and plasmas are great, but just one shot. For the same price you can convert 2 models to have the real thing all the time....going all combi- means you plan to use them on the drop turn 1 and that they may be gone by turn 2...For me, my thinking goes, load up each sternguard unit with 6 anti-tank weapons that are used the turn you drop - with 2 squads, it means 4 dead enemy vehicles in a reliable way, etc. The flamers are great if you then get assaulted....but what if the opponent just has avenger, or simple demon flamers? Your expensive unit becomes crispy melted blobs...putting some of those points in other units may be a better investment. Alternatively, look at tactics....large sternguard squad (as above) drops in - combat squads, target in an enemy transport....AT team pops the vehicle...Flamers then toast the survivors...it can work well, but in this case you probably onluy need 3-4 AT combis, and 3-4 Flamers. That way the sternguard squads take down 2 vehicles and 2 squads on turn 1, which may be better for you in the long run...

Assault terminators - assuming you will drop them in....they cannot assault on the drop...consider tactical terminators - and put a HF or cyclone in with them (point savings from above)...or get the squad larger - you want units that can cause damage to the opponent on every turn. Assault terminators lose that if they do not have an assault vehicle delivery system...
2014-2014 Record for Third Company: 6 Wins 1 Draws 0 Losses
2013-2014 Record for Third Company: 19 Wins 1 Draws 11 Losses
2012-2013 Record for Third Company: 21 wins 3 Draws 17 Losses
2011-2012 Record for Third Company: 18 Wins 7 Draws 15 Losses
2010-2011 Record for Third Company: 35 Wins 10 Draws 30 Losses

http://defendersofcalth.blogspot.com/

gallery_22973_7015_9275.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users