SoB Allies for GK

Aunodin

Hello Sisters

Currently I am playing with GK but am looking to start a small group of SoB to ally with them. That way I can get a feel for how I want to play them while using my GK for the heavy lifting.

So what would your advice be for varies units for different aims. I would like to experiment with objective holding, horde suppression (typically face nids and orks for hordes), and flankers.

Like I said my GKs will do the heavy lifting since I wont have a lot of Sisters at first (Sisters are really expensive atm so I am only able to pick up a few things for them)

Another thought is for the HQ to be a Death Watch kill team. I used a friends SM army and experimented with calling a squad them and running the rules from the chapter approved. I did really well with them and would like to see if they can be worked into a SoB army/ally force so I can run an inquisition army

Thank you for your time and for any help you give me to help play this awesome army

HQ: Saint Celestine -- if you need horde suppression, she's your girl.

TROOP: Battle Sister Squad(9+1); flamer(2), combi-flamer.

FAST: Dominion(4+1), meltagun(2), combi-melta, Immolator with multi-melta

HEAVY: Retributors(4+1), heavy bolters(4)

This will give you a good anti-horde support even tho the Dominions are equipped for tank hunting. Scout 12", move 6", disembark 6" and slag a battlewagon on the first turn. Being scouts, they can also outflank. All for 180 points. Happy hunting.

Grey Knights and Sisters working together is unusual, since they have completely different duties (daemonslaying vs protection and investigation), but it can be a good combination on the field. Not sure about the idea of trying to include a Deathwatch Kill-Team, but the Sororitas Command Squad could stand in as a counts-as unit. The rules are a bit fragile, but they can have the special weapon loadout side of things down, including the mobile heavy weapons that Deathwatch like to play with. There's no other reason to take a Canoness - she can't join any GK units, so her primary benefit is lost.

There isn't a single unit in the army that can't be build to slaughter hordes, with cheap flamers and (admittedly expensive) heavy flamer options. Why combi-flamers are twice the points of flamers, however, I do not know.

For flanking, Dominions and Seraphim are excellent - Seraphim are fast, resilient Jump Infantry that can lay down four hand flamer templates a turn with rerolls galore - they reroll to wound with their Faith, they reroll to activate it, and they reroll their invulnerable saves. If they only move 6" in the movement phase, they even reroll their charge distance, and with Hit and Run and two CCWs, with the option for an Eviscerator on the Superior, they're not a bad little skirmish unit. Dominions, on the other hand literally Outflank with their Scouts rule, can have four special weapons in the squad and their power lets them twin-link. I find it's always worth going for the full squad of 10 in a Repressor. The Repressor may not last as long as it used to, but it'll keep them alive and get them where they want to be for a crucial turn... and there's not much that can survive four or five twin-linked meltagun or flamer templates (given the Superior has a combi-weapon), especially if you get to fire the Repressor's heavy flamer as well. Obviously, the flamer won't work on tanks, and the meltagun is wasted on massed infantry, heh.

A regular Battle Sister squad is an excellent objective-camper. With the ability to go up to 20 models strong and a 6+ invulnerable on every one of them, they can even hold objectives that have been deployed in a kill-zone for at least a turn, and that many bolters (although sadly, a maximum of one special and one heavy, or two special weapons) can really wreck face. The downside is that with T3, they're vulnerable to massed bolters or especially pulse rifle fire themselves, and without support they have trouble holding their own in close combat against even mild assault units.

The last thing of note is the Exorcist. It's cheaper from Forge World than it is from Games Workshop, and boy is it worth the cost. Sisters players generally like them in pairs, but as an ally, even just one can be a surprising tide-turner if you roll well. Random shots is a pain, but sometimes even one BS4 S8 AP1 missile is enough to tip the balance in your favour, and with an effective range of 54" it can really make up for the Sisters' (and Knights') lack of long-ranged fire support.

With the GK and Sisters there have been many canon instances of them working together for instance in the first GK book. (disregarding the entire slaughtering the sisters for armor paint. that never happened) Fluff wise I see the sisters as a good team with GK since they have a lot of overlap if you consider heresy can lead to daemon infestation. With my plans to collect sisters i want to eventually get a Commandery sized force which isn't looking like it would be cheap. Story wise my GK brotherhood (still getting it up there model wise) is hunting down a Chaos sorcerer from the night lords. So far they just catch up to him on the tail end of his plots and have to clean up the mess he leaves behind. So having the sisters help out cutesy of the ordo hereticis would make sense since the rampart heresy that happens when someone like a chaos sorcerer works.

Thank you for the advice on what possible tactics to look into to help out my GK. They should help out a lot especially when we do no termie armor units days. (i get away with it for hq since i dont got anything else in my collection yet)

On a side not: man i think i want to make my sisters look like the ones in the witch hunters mod for DoW except do order of the sacred rose. To bad my painting skills will never be that good and you would have to do a lot of modeling to make it work as well :cuss

Archived