Cypher 102's Path to Redemption

Cypher 102

The brown ballast with static grass looked good to begin with but got boring. When I saw the Scibor Ancient Ruins bases for the first time I knew those need to be on my Dark Angels. After having the things for a few years now I'm finally going to start putting them on. Sounds like just the thing for the Path to Redemption.

I Cypher 102 vow to replace the bases of this terminator squad with a set of Scibor Ruins bases by the end of September 2012.

gallery_25138_7742_2804925.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

I've checked out a lot of the aftermarket bases and Scibor was the one that just struck me. However Dark Ages is producing some awesome stuff as well. I'm using the Scibor Ruins bases for the rank and file models and am using the Ancient Ruins for the characters. I've already got one on my Belial model. This is going to get expensive! Especially when I get around to rebasing my battle company.

gallery_25138_7601_74340.jpg

I should be pinning them on but I just scored the bottom of the foot with a knife and glued them on. They should be fine as they are plastic models. Metal models I would definitely pin them. I'll see the fist time one of them drops off of a game table!

As I found out last night, plastic models will fly off of their bases if they hit the ground! I played a 2v2 game, and we had a total of 6 models lose their bases after they fell to the floor. So far the bases you've used look beautiful, especially the ones you have lined up for your bikes. Keep the good work coming!

Cypher102, well done and well on the path to redemption. I looked at your "beofre" models and thought that they are far better than anything I've done...and you want to improve on then more! Hig standards indeed>

Nice work and hope to see you earn your Black Pearl!:P

SG

So I completed my first vow for October. Not sure if there will be any more as real life has reared its head.

gallery_25138_3687_546960.jpg

gallery_25138_3687_181506.jpg

gallery_25138_3687_400444.jpg

gallery_25138_3687_176435.jpg

To answer your question Brother Kovash, this base is from Scibor's Straight from Hell line. It has pretty close to the same tiles from the ancient ruins base but adds flames and some fiery demons around the bottom. I thought they would be great to represent some psychic manifestations for my librarians.

So first time painting flames. Started with a white basecoat and then started drybrushing a layer of two parts Skull White with one part P3's Arcane Blue. Things were going good until I got the bright idea that I needed a glaze and Asurman Blue wash would work fine right? So lesson learned. Don't use washes on flames. I should have known better. I may have to strip the base down and start over at a later date. What I should have done was leave it where it was and use my darker Regal Blue on the topmost parts of the flames and demons. I was happy with how the lighter blue drybrushing was creating a believable lighting effect on the rest of the base.

That's it for now I'm probably going to be gone until the end of the month.

Thanks for the answer Cypher. I've been looking at some Scibor products for a while now. I had this crazy idea to start a Grey Knights army, and figured that since it would be a very low model count army, I might as well go ahead and get some awesome bases to compliment them. However, I've put everything on the back burner until we get our new DA codex.

The flames look terrific, your blue looks beautiful and consistent, and the eyes look very good. Congratulations on your October vow, looking forward to some more models from you in the future.

So I completed my first vow for October. Not sure if there will be any more as real life has reared its head.

That's it for now I'm probably going to be gone until the end of the month.

Brilliant work Cypher102, that is an amazing piece of work. Now rest my son with your real life and recuperate until November and be ready to tread the "Path" again! ;)

SG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I've enjoyed seeing your stuff too!

A while back I painted up a bunch of thunder hammer and storm shield arms with magnets. Now I've got a bunch of extra arms. So for my fist vow for December I'll paint up five terminators (minus the arms).

gallery_25138_7742_137222.jpg

Archived