Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GK - 1000 pts.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

Sussex

Sussex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
Hi all

Just picked up the hobby again after playing 3rd edition and need a little help putting together a 1000 pts. list for GKs. Our group has about 7 of us so we're starting lower points and building up. Anyway, here's the list:

HQ 1000 pts

Librarian @ 175 pts.
Wargear: Storm Bolter; Nemesis Force Sword; Terminator armour; Frag/Krak/Psyk grenades; Psychic hood
Psychic powers: Hammerhand, Shrouding, Sanctuary and Might of Titan

TROOPS

Grey Knight Terminator squad (10 models) @ 470 pts.
1x Terminator Justicar
Wargear: Storm Bolter; Nemesis Force Sword; Terminator armour; Frag/Krak/Psyk grenades
9x Terminator
Wargear: Storm Bolter x7; Psycannon x2 (50 pts.)
Nemesis Force Sword x3; Nemesis Force Halberd x4; Nemesis Force Hammer x2
Psybolt ammunition (20 pts.) Frag/Krak/Psyk-out grenades.
Psychic Powers: Hammerhand

Grey Knight Strike Squad (5 models) @ 110 pts.
1x Justicar
Wargear: Power armour; Storm bolter; Nemesis Force Sword; Frag/Krak/Psyk-out grenades
Psychic powers: Hammerhand; Warp Quake.
4x Grey Knight
Wargear: Power armour; Storm bolter x3; Psycannon x1 (10 pts.); Nemesis Force Sword x4; Frag/Krak/Psyk-out grenades.

Grey Knight Strike Squad (5 models) @ 110 pts.
1x Justicar
Wargear: Power armour; Storm bolter; Nemesis Force Sword; Frag/Krak/Psyk-out grenades
4x Grey Knight
Wargear: Power armour; Storm bolter x3; Psycannon x1 (10 pts.); Nemesis Force Sword x4; Frag/Krak/Psyk-out grenades.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadnought @ 135 pts.
Wargear: Twin-linked autocannon x2; Psybolt ammunition; Smoke launchers.
Psychic powers: Fortitude.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. I'm able to purchase other models etc if the need arises. I was thinking an extra Dread but I'm not sure what I would drop for it. Thanks!

Castellan Alaric

Castellan Alaric

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,151 posts
so as this is your first post you won't know, but posting individual points costs is against b&c policy. so leave out the psycannon upgrade points ;) assume people have their codices to look up the points! :woot: anywho on to your lists i really only have 1 thing to suggest. a libby is a VERY expensive hq and i'd say an ordo malleus inq with terminator armor, psycannon and psyker 1 upgrade (divination - primaris power is EPIC) would be a better choice. i'll give you my 1000 points list as a reference, not forcing it on you at all. here it is:

odro malleus inq - termy armor, psycannon, psyker 110
paladins (5) - 2xpsycannons, hammer 335
strikes (10) - 2xpsycannons, hammer, psybolts 250
strikes (10) - 2xpsycannons, hammer, psybolts 250

945 pts

i actually just added it up and i'm 55 points short! haha so i could add in another ordo malleus inq with psyker upgrade for 55pts on the nose! personally i like paladins, but termies are a good choice too! don't underestimate the power of the humble strike squad at full numbers with psybolts. i played a game yesterday and killed 7 assault marines in one volley from a strike squad, and all the assault marines had storm shields! mid-range gk pack a serious wallup so set up your firing line and let loose! your dread with autocannons and psybolts will help out a ton too! that 48" range will help against flyers (prevalent in 6th ed) and dealing with light to medium armor as well. you have good units, just play some games with different setups to feel out your disposition alright? i wanted a grand master from the beginning but they are a LOT of points so i tried out the inquisitor and they work much better! my 2 cents, what do you think? :lol:

Edited by Castellan Alaric, 25 September 2012 - 01:00 AM.

Vash

Vash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,727 posts
The new flavor since 6th edition is the dreadknights. This due to the new rules.
Dreadnought now days die easier due to the glancing hits and hull points. Thus the era of the dreadnought and transport vehicles (rhinos) is no longer as effective.

The Nemesis dreadnight has gotten a big boost in close combat. An extra attack since he is wielding close combat weapons, he is counted as character thus he can issue challenges and accept. He strikes at S10 with his basic close combat weapons. His greatsword transfers its abilities to other close combat weapons, meaning re-roll to hit, re-roll to wound with doomfists S10.

The rule book psychic powers are also the new "hot thing". Look them over and see if they can fit into your army style. Most GK players prefer Divination school over the GK powers. This to boost the shooting of the GK. Re-roll to hit, ignore cover saves, re-roll successful saves, 4+ invunrable saves, etc. These are a few of the powers Divination have.

Unless you want to field a librarian with his codex powers, I would go for a inquisitor with divination power, or if you want to have a lvl 2 psycker go for Coteaz (he is lvl 2).
But if you really want to go all out on psychic powers, the librarian upgraded to mastery level 3 is really tempting, for me atleast.

Sussex

Sussex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
Woops! Thanks Alaric, I'll make sure to read the rules more closely when I next post. I was thinking of taking Paladins as well but with the sheer amount of AP2 weapons I'd be worried they'd die too fast. Also, they aren't scoring units either so I'll be lacking in objective games. I agree with the point about the Libby though, he costs a lot for something which I use as a psychic and nothing else. I have the Cortaez model so I might give him a go. I love my GKSSs, they're amazing but is it worth not using termies at all and going pure GKSS?

@Vash - How do Dreadknights play in shooting armies? I'd rather only use combat as a last resort against most armies. I guess they're great flankers and are really flexible. Love the Greatsword though, extremely potent against tanks and characters. I will have a look through the psychic powers in the rule book aswell. I love playing support psychers, are the rule book powers better for something like that?

Thank you both, really insightful replies that have given me a lot to think about :D!

Vash

Vash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,727 posts
Well there is no real buff to the shooting when it comes to the Dreadknight. His heavy incinerator is still a "auto hit" template weapon. Though the Gatling psilenser might be useful some extent. Since he is a character now, he can make precision shots. With precision shots you can target any model he hits on 6's.

Othervice I do agree with you. Close combat is a last resort, as it is for most GK players. The standard tactic is to soften up the enemy and then strike them down with close combat attacks.

On to the psychic powers. It all comes down to your play style, but the divination psychic powers are really great for ranged support. BEst thing with rule book powers, is that they are free. But they are random (except for the primaris power if you want that one).

Edited by Vash, 25 September 2012 - 04:52 PM.

Sussex

Sussex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
Would it be worth running one DK to attract shots? I'm just worried about running double or triple Dreadnought as they do die extremely fast to AP2. Also, what do you think about running Purifiers if I want to run a shooty army? Crowe isn't great but being able to take them as troops seems to be a strong idea.

As for the rulebooks spells Divination looks amazing for a GK army, especially if taking a level two psyker. What do you do about Inquisitor in termie armour? Do you just proxy him or have you converted a model?

Will post a revised list tonight as I'm going to GW today, looking at some new models. Thanks again.

Vash

Vash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,727 posts

Would it be worth running one DK to attract shots?

Could be worth it. But in general for the DK to be a Fire magnet he has to be a threat. Meaning you have to equip him with something that scares your opponents.
Usually a personal teleporter will assure this. But its really expensive, and if your only intent is to have him as a fire magnet, I wouldnt recommend it.
Witt the new "standard" or acctually old standard of the DK, people tend to go for Personal teleporter and heavy incinerator. This makes him a really good anti infantry unit.

I'm just worried about running double or triple Dreadnought as they do die extremely fast to AP2.

Yes, it is a problem in the 6th that Dreadnoughts and other vehicles die more easily. Due to hull points and AP2 and most certainly AP1 weapons. But, if you play it right and make sure you have other units that are equally or more threatning, the dreadnoughts are still really good.
Only issue is, the main objective of the dreadnought with dual autocannons was to counter transports, and the like, but people, where I play at least, dont use transports as much anymore.

Also, what do you think about running Purifiers if I want to run a shooty army? Crowe isn't great but being able to take them as troops seems to be a strong idea.

This all depends. I my self tried out a Crowe army, but I failed, but then again, it was in the beginning of the 6th edition and I hadnt played for one or two years.
But, if you are after mass psycannons, yes Crowe would be the answer to that. Usually Crowe is not used optimal in a shooty army, as he is close combat oriented. He cant join units and will be exposed.
So think of Crowes costs if your going all our shooty. And add his points among the purifiers and see if its worth it in the end. Othervice the Strike squads are really good. The strikes also have a perfect defense, the Warp Quake, meaning no deep striking anywhere close to them.

As for the rulebooks spells Divination looks amazing for a GK army, especially if taking a level two psyker. What do you do about Inquisitor in termie armour? Do you just proxy him or have you converted a model?

Will post a revised list tonight as I'm going to GW today, looking at some new models. Thanks again.

I made mine from the GK terminator box. Just added some extra stuff and made sure he didnt have a helmet. My normal GK terminators have helmets on, so I can see who is a character or not.
A level 2 psyker is really great too. To get a cheap one, go for Coteaz. But for 50% more ponts you get a librarian instead. He has invulnerable save and better close combat abilities (more strength).
But Coteaz has 1 more wound and one more attack, and some abilities.