Lorenzen's Abyss: Heresy, Necro & a load of other stuff

Lorenzen

Lovely as usual. When I do my pre-heresy army (in the not too far future if all goes better than it has) you've mad up my mind, I'm definitely going with the sons of Barbarus. Thanks. Thanks alot :P. However, I do believe I'll be going with the First company, led by that guy who is pretty big with Nurgle now :lol:. (Typhon)

okay ill get a weathering tutorial up along with the base colour one & charge the camera whilst im at work..

i may get round to typhon at some point just for fun, same with garro, but neither took much of an active part in the war so for now i havent picked a company to do. ill add fluff later!

i thought world eaters were going to be the new army of choice for most people what with angron being available already, im pleasantly suprised by the lack of them & other death guard (outside of fws cabinets at least.. we & dg outnumbered the other two drastically at gamesday) id say go with your gut & stick to it, i was always a fan of your sharktikons.

Damn, it's like you're reading my mind - pre-Heresy Death Guard (check), green highlights in different locations (check), cork bases (check), Praetor with Paragon Blade (check), Siege Captain (check)... where's my tinfoil hat?!!

Fantastic work dude - really really excellent DG. The Cataphracti Sergeant is fantastic - what parts went into the handle?

What else are you thinking of having in the army? I'm going to go for a Spartan and a Storm Eagle (for the 20-marine squads).

Can't wait to see more!

the scythe is made from a grey knight hand, a chaos knights halberd and typhus's scythe, the plastic part was just bent a bit to make it more curved.

theres been some serious crap go on here tonight so i wont be making an update until tomorrow now i dont think.. ive been on the phone making formal complaints and all sorts.. but ill get back on it finish the sarge (sans pistol) and his mate, and get the squad up to 5 men by sunday complete with tutorials.

oh and in terms of adding to the army.. phosphex firing medusas, and loads of seige stuff including vindicators which the death guard apparently liked a bit.

right tutorial time.. i apologise for this being crap, its not my forte.

first of all ill list all the stuff i use.. because it might be interesting and because it offers quick reference for anyone wanting to run out and buy things.

Vallejo polyurethane surface primer (its light grey and made of win if you have an airbrush)

Dawnstone

Rakarth Flesh

Pallid Wych Flesh

some cheap burnt umber oil paint i bought from the works.

white spirit

winsor and newton satin varnish

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/278/2/6/craptorial_by_typhion-d5gwiq0.jpg

prime the model, let it dry and then spray it all over with dawnstone. (pic 1)

from roughly a 45 degree angle spray the model with rakarth flesh. (pic 2)

from almost direcly above the model spray it with pallid flesh (pic 3.. blurry.. compressor was still on and shaking my desk a bit apparently)

shade a few key edges with dawnstone.. this will help tie them in with the shadows on the model after the oil wash. (pic 4)

okay at this point you will want to protect these layers with a coat of varnish.. if something goes wrong and you havent done this you can end up ruining your work as oil washes (and acrylic ones) stain the underlying paint.

oil wash time! mix a lot of white spirit with a little oil paint.. and i do mean a lot.. oils are vibrant! spread the oil wash over the model, you dont have to be super neat, as it takes a long time to dry and can be touched up with the application of more white spirit. (pic 5)

at this point let the wash dry (blast it with a hairdryer if you're a lazy git like me) if its too light you can apply more and dry it again.

from here protect the model again (otherwise your paint wont stick to the oily surface) and apply pallid flesh as highlights and add a little more dawnstone to some of the shadows.

next up we have the weathering..

for this i use:

Agrax Earthshade

Light Earth

Orange Rust

VMC German Cam. Black Brown

VMC Smoke

starting with a clean deathguard! (who in hindsight is a little too sepia for my liking.. less oil wash next time!)

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/278/c/3/dg_by_typhion-d5gwktw.jpg

okay from here i add a little agrax into most of the shadows carefully, and using the bad properties of the gw washes add a few streaks (always starting at the top) you dont need much on your brush for this and you dont need to dilute it.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/278/3/8/dg1_by_typhion-d5gwlb0.jpg

next up we take a small piece of sponge torn from and old blister/a makeup applicator/a bit of kitchen sponge and dab it into some vmc german cam. black brown (stupid long named paint!) wipe most of it off.. you want it so that it barely leaves paint without a little bit of pressure.. using this we dab our chipping onto the model. try to do the big bits first as you have more paint that requires less pressure, and things like edges last.

i use this colour because i think black would be too dark and things like scorched brown too saturated for chipping.. imho.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/278/e/5/dg2_by_typhion-d5gwlr5.jpg

the next step was to add a few more streaks with vmc smoke (magic in a bottle) rather than using it as a wash i used it almost neat and painted them on.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/278/d/a/dg3_by_typhion-d5gwmam.jpg

after this i added the various bits of rust to a few key locations and a big bit to the chest for fun.. i add a small amount of water to the pigment and use it almost like paint to do this, carefully painting the rust patterns and leaving small areas of the armour so that it looks like its flaking off (sarges power fist) in the case of this guy i got knocked by my cat and had to do what i could to stop him having a big orange stain on his chest.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/278/5/5/dg4_by_typhion-d5gwna0.jpg

finally i add light earth to the feet and lower armour, because it makes them look a bit gritty and hard.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/278/d/c/dg5_by_typhion-d5gwnof.jpg

and last but not least i update the b&c and spam facebook with death guard images!

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/278/d/6/death_guard_squad_by_typhion-d5gwnyl.jpg

glory to the sons of the reaper primarch!

no worries dude, my old compressor crapped out on me & resulted in me having to find a decent new one in a short time frame. that thing looked like a post destroyer plague death guard at the end..

im going to try and get these guys based & finished by tomorrow morning but i have a rerious amount of gym to catch up on and resi 6 to spend time with (psn - typhion if anyone ever wants to say hi on sf x tekken, mw3, resi 6 etc)

hey all quick question.. from a fluff perspective i believe the death guards termies were unpainted (metallic with brass trim like their primarch) but im not sure if if i should use that for just the deathshroud..

its been bugging me for some time now, and as ive just undercoated the cataphractii sergeant i thought id ask..

theres conflicting stuff on that.. originally the dusk raiders were unpainted except for their red right arm.. the terminator artwork for the heresy has the deathguard as steel with brass trim colours.. and the deathguard pictures in the heresy book picture them with flaking paint on the "white" parts.

i think the line of text in the heresy book is actually inconsitant with the overall view of them.

betrayal kind of contradicts itself.. initially it says that the dusk raiders wore unadorned storm grey power armour, then says the off white colour is unpainted.. then shows (in essentially every picture) the off white paint flaking off in places.

that and in flight of the eisenstein i think it specifically mentions the termies being "unpainted" which wouldnt make sense if the whole legion was unpainted anyway..

i think im going to go with the "painted" look anyway bar the deathshroud and maybe a few key figures (morty) otherwise i risk the look of an incoherant force.

There's a an image of the Deathshroud over at Lexicanum. Honestly, they don't look unpainted, they look white. I know Typhon wore armor that was steel grey, or so it seems to me, but then he was also First Captain. Looking at the other legions, it's fair to say that First Captains have leeway in what they do with their battle gear. But then of course, the entirety of the Sons of Horus Terminator forces had black armor. However, I also think I read somewhere that the Death Guard had a large amount of Terminator armor, and I can't see them all being the same color as Typhon, or even all being from his company. The Death Guard was a fairly mixed-infantry force, not much in the way mechanized support, which leads me to believe that the legion wouldn't put all it's Terminators in a single company.

I managed to drag this image up, it's fairly small, but I'll attempt to hunt for more and see what I can find.

http://www.pa-sy.com/hhccg/images/gurtur-fol.jpg

I'm led to believe that the DG only add the green markings to their armour, otherwise they keep it as it is delivered to them - so if it arrives from the Forge World unpainted, they keep the bare ceramite, but if it arrives already undercoated/basecoated, then it stays that colour - which is the off white that is most common for DG.

This would mean that different squads, and probably individual marines, would have variations in their armour - so some terminator squads could be unpainted (but not necessarily all).

For our minis, it means we can pick and choose a bit - we can either go with one (or more) shades of white (or off white) or we can go with metallic grey (bare ceramite) or we can mix and match. I'm considering having my DG mostly off white, but with an occasional bare ceramite piece of replacement armour (on marines and vehicles).

+Edit+

For my Deathshroud I'm thinking I'll have more brass (like Mortarion's armour) and probably copy the markings from Collected Visions.

Edited by Ilmarinen

after a fair amount of umming and ahhing i decided that id leave the steel and bronze look for the deathshroud as that way they will tie in with the reaper primarch and will also give them a distinct look on the tabletop.. so the rest of the termies will be in the guards "normal" colours.

and so i present to you the wip stages of the first cataphractii (whose head i think ill be redoing as it looks pretty sucktacular in this pic imho)

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/280/8/0/termie_by_typhion-d5h3iyb.jpg

please note hes very wip atm, i dont think theres a single part of him finished

oh and if anyone has an opinion on what colour the hood & tabbard should be, itd be appreciated.. atm im stuck with "eeerrrrm white?" and my brain wont go any further.