Indomitus Project

Brother Tyler

gallery_26_6416_848.gifPROJECT INTRODUCTION

gallery_26_7751_86289.png
Many hobbyists have been fortunate enough to play the Space Hulk game from Games Workshop, the Kill-Team variant that GW published on the Internet prior to 3rd edition, or one of the previous editions of the game. Something many players have lamented is the fact that Games Workshop hasn't expanded upon or provided continued support for the latest edition of the game.

This project seeks to fill that gap. While the 1st and 2nd editions saw a wide variety of expansions and many hobbyists have further expanded upon the game, this project will limit itself to Space Marine Terminators versus Genestealers. A sister project to this one (three guesses as to the working project name) is in the works, and that expansion will shift to Space Marines in power armour, and maybe some other things. This project, however, will remain fairly limited in its scope in order to reduce debate, preserve balance, and ensure quicker progress.

A note on the project name - I've changed it from "The Space Hulk Project" to "Indomitus" after the familiar pattern of tactical dreadnought armour. My reason for doing this was to use something other than "Space Hulk" in the project name so that the products we develop can have distinct titles, while preserving a name association with the actual game. The name, however, doesn't necessarily imply that we'll create rules for the different variants of tactical dreadnought armour. We might discuss creating rules for the Tartaros and Cataphracti patterns, as well as any other patterns that Games Workshop/Forge World might develop, but that discussion (if it happens) will take place later. The name is also (bastardized?) Latin for "indomitable" and I think that adjective is appropriate for a fan-based project intended to provide continued support to a great game that has, unfortunately, not received continued attention from its publisher.

Regardless, all of the products we develop will still require players to have/use Space Hulk 3rd edition.

gallery_26_6416_848.gifGUIDING PRINCIPLES

While this is a community project, there are some basic principles that will guide our efforts.

The Space Hulk game is a closed system. Many people view it as a simplified system (compared to standard Warhammer 40,000), but a close analysis reveals that the game effects are, in terms of combat, largely due to the fact that the results are based on a limited application. The weapons of the Space Marines only have to deal with Genestealers, and the attacks of the Genestealers only have to deal with Space Marine Terminators. There are some definite map-based limitations (movement and facing), but the outcomes of Space Hulk combat are relatively close to their standard Warhammer 40,000 versions (albeit with a few minor differences). It isn

• 2 weeks later...

For the updating of missions/campaigns from 2nd edition, I'm currently inclined to merge all of the 2nd edition set missions/campaigns into a single campaign and to completely revise the storyline. All three of the campaigns in the 2nd edition boxed set were written around the Blood Angels, but I really want this series to showcase the wide variety of other Chapters. Games Workshop revised the Sin of Damnation campaign from 2nd edition, expanding it with missions from other sources for the 3rd edition boxed set. So it doesn't seem inappropriate to do something similar here. Is there anyone that is strongly opposed to rewriting the lore/setting behind the other 2nd edition missions to feature some other Chapter? If so, why?

My current inclination is to shift the revised campaign to the Deathwing since (a) the first expansion for 1st edition Space Hulk featured the First Company of the Dark Angels, and (^_^ there are some nifty Deathwing models in the Dark Vengeance boxed set.

I'm not married to that idea, though, so what it really comes down to is building the campaign around some Chapter (other than the Blood Angels) for which pictures of suitably assembled and painted minis are submitted. In this, I'd much prefer one of the so-called "First Founding" Chapters, though any major official Chapter will do. No DIYs for this first campaign, please, but I'd love to see some for other campaigns/missions.

Now I've also been going through a laundry list of Chapters/Legions/warbands for which I'd like to see campaigns developed. Using the (Chaos) Terminators versus Genestealers construct, I can see:

• Ultramarines versus Hive Fleet Behemoth (the Northern Polar Defense Fortress under Brother Captain Adrasta)
  • something with the Deathwing
  • something with the Firedrakes (Salamanders Chapter)
  • something with Space Wolves Wolf Guard
  • something with Chaos Space Marines clearing a hulk

And for the Long War (Chaos Space Marines versus loyalist Space Marines) we have:

• Malodrax - Darnath Lysander leads the Imperial Fists against the Iron Warriors
  • any number of Horus Heresy/Scouring battles
  • any number of Black Crusade battles
  • The Wolf of Fenris - the Red Corsairs attack the Space Wolves

And I'm sure we can come up with tons of other ideas, including missions/campaigns built around DIYs and "minor" Chapters. Basically, if anyone is able to provide pictures of suitably painted miniatures and we can tie them to a campaign or mission, that's what we'll do.

• 4 weeks later...

Status report...

The bolter/combi-weapon segment of the expanded weapons rules has been going on for a bit with only one observation, but no feedback concerning balance/playability. The assumption is that there aren't really any issues, though the reality is probably that no one has really had a chance to playtest since there's really nothing to playtest with yet. Regardless, that portion will close soon and we'll move forward (probably tomorrow - with power weapons).

My focus has been getting the various missions/campaigns updated, though you can't see any of that work. So far I've been able to produce maps for the Spawn of Execration, Harbinger of Despair, Defilement of Honor, and Duty and Honor campaigns. So I have the Bringer of Sorry, Deathwing, Genestealer, Fangs of Fenris, Fate of the Sword of Halcyon, and Return to Kalidus missions left to convert. I've basically been able to get 1 or 2 maps done a day, with a half dozen or so done on weekends (more if my family doesn't require my presence elsewhere :) ).

While projects conducted elsewhere have taken advantage of a very neat program that includes low-res scans of the official tiles, we won't be using those. Part of this is an effort to "genericize" things for those players that may not have the game. I've used a simpler set of tiles without textures or decoration, simply including the basics of squares and markers. I've added the airducts, gantry, and other nifty stuff from various special expansions. I'm fairly sure that many players are interested in the game but don't have access to the tiles, so we'll provide plain tiles for print and play. They won't be as sexy as the ones found in the game, but they'll allow you to play. I also expect that many players have seen the variety of third party kits available for use in creating your own three-dimensional Space Hulk maps, and I intend to leverage that aspect of the hobby (indeed, we'll probably demonstrate a way for players to make their own "tiles" or gameboards without having to find the tiles on auction sites or buy casting kits).

Before I get any more maps done, however, I need to get the expanded weapons rules completed so that we can press forward with that discussion as that will be the key to playtesting (using the missions in the 3rd edition boxed set).

• 3 months later...

With the exception of the ongoing showcase and the addition of the Grey Knights (which might take place later), Stage 1 is complete.

I've been having second thoughts on Stage 2, though. I'm not sure how much GW would accept us simply updating the old missions and presenting those rules. I have a weird hunch (hope?) that GW plans on doing something with Space Hulk in the next few years. I'm probably wrong in this, but my paranoia tells me that any (potential) planned addition to the Space Hulk game on GW's part will require them to act in order to protect whatever they might be working on.

So we're going to take a slightly different tack.

Instead of simply updating the old missions/campaigns, we're going to create new missions/campaigns. In all likelihood, we'll try to put any single missions together into campaigns, and the campaigns will probably be smaller than the official campaign (i.e., 3 to 6 missions seems most likely).

The Black Templars have been selected as our poster Chapter, so the minis I paint up to illustrate the rules will be in Black Templars colors and the initial campaign will feature the zealous Chapter. I'm going to initiate that work now, with a reaching out to the Black Templars forum for some assistance. Look for a new discussion on campaign development soon (hopefully today).

• 1 year later...
By now most of us have heard about the impending re-release/expansion. The rumors so far don't include anything that we've worked on in this project, but I'm waiting to see the full scope of expansion. From the looks of it, though, this will have a negligible impact on the Indomitus project (though it will certainly be helpful).

GW has released rules for Ultramarines/Deathwing/Space Wolves for IPad .... i don't own one, but it would be nice if you can update your chapter specific rules when they are released =)

http://www.games-workshop.com/de-AT/Space-Hulk-Mission-Files-Duty-and-Honour

http://www.games-workshop.com/de-AT/Space-Hulk-Mission-Files-Bringer-of-Sorrow

http://www.games-workshop.com/de-AT/Space-Hulk-Mission-Files-Return-to-Kalidus

It will be done just as soon as the missions packs are available in epub format. :wink:

However, after reading each of the descriptions, I'm not sure if there are rules for the Chapters (there weren't in the previous versions of these campaigns) or if the rules are for the weapons and equipment. Regardless, they will be incorporated.

• 11 months later...

Okay, this project has languished because of the mission packs (i.e., I don't and won't be able to read them as long as they are strictly ifiles). At this point, I will simply add references to the mission packs for those elements that appear therein (though I might keep our homegrown rules for alternatives in case players don't have access to the official ifiles).

However, I'll probably publish the rules as part of the Legio Imprint format, either individual articles spread across multiple generalist issues or all of the base articles in a themed issue (see the Legio Imprint sub-forum within the Special Projects forum if you're wondering what I mean).

Campaigns, meanwhile, might be published as "LI Lites" or as part of one or more themed issues.

• 3 years later...

I'm dusting this project off. Much of the work I'd done previously in terms of a document for print was lost due to a computer crash and poor preparation (i.e., I hadn't backed up), so I've been reworking things. The rules as they currently stand are being prepared for a preview version, including necessary diagrams, but minus all of the images. Several members gave permission to use images of their finished minis, so I'll track those down to makes things nice. The preview version will have limited frills - it will be designed to be printer-friendly (i.e., text, necessary diagrams, a few images here and there, but no border decorations, background images, etc.).

I've switched from a Black Templars crusade to the Legio - I might as well use our mascot Chapter for the initial campaign. Some members were going to be featured in a document for the Shadow War: Armageddon challenges, but GW has dropped support for that game so I'm transferring those members' rewards to this project (yes, GW is giving scant support to this game, too, but I see them giving periodic support, such as the Genestealer Cult rules they released a while back).

I still don't have the 4th edition mission files, so I'll reference them and anything in these rules that is covered therein will simply be presented as an alternative for the folks like me. Anyone that has the mission files should use the official rules instead of these unofficial rules.

So my big focus, other than getting appropriate Legio minis assembled/painted (and Genestealers!) is to get the additional missions for the campaign and to shift to work on terrain ideas (i.e., tiles and homemade Space Hulk terrain).

I made a few minor tweaks.

The relic blade adds 1 to the assault roll.

A single lightning claw only does 1D6 + 1 in assault.

I've also uploaded a preliminary version of the rulebook into the Downloads section here (it's a lot easier to read than the discussions, and the reference tables on the back page provide a better comparison).

I rearranged some things. For example, anything that is peculiar to the Dark Angels is in a separate section. This includes their characters and weapons. The reference tables are organized similarly.

There is a lot that I'm looking at rewriting, not so much with the specific rules, but more in terms of clarifying explanations, etc.

After reviewing the preliminary rulebook and trying to take the perspective of someone completely new to it (i.e., not as the guy that compiled it), I see a significant gap in that it's purpose isn't stated well. Actually, there are two purposes, and one of those is sorely lacking.

The first purpose is to allow players to substitute models. So in a mission that calls for the Sergeant with a power sword, a player might take a Sergeant with a thunder hammer instead (and not the one with a thunder hammer and storm shield). Or a player might take Chaos Space Marines instead of the Blood Angels. These are basic model substitutions that are only significant if you do something dumb (i.e., you take a model with an assault cannon instead of the heavy flamer in missions where you need to burn stuff).

The second purpose, and the one that is sorely lacking, is creating custom missions. The whole Expanded Battlefield section is full of stuff that is (hopefully) fun to add into custom missions. However, no real guidance is given on actually creating missions. Part of this is that the official guidance is found in the mission files, which many of us don't have (though there are probably bootleg copies to be found online). This part was planned for a follow-on "issue," but it is really the core of the whole project, so it needs to go in this document.

• 3 years later...

With the upcoming refresh to the Adeptus Astartes Terminator models, it would be an understatement to say that I'm excited. I'm dusting this project off, resurrecting it as a Club so that all associated work, especially images and files, can be found more easily.

The basic purpose of the project remains the same: develop some expanded rules for the 3rd/4th editions of Space Hulk. The core of this is expanding the weapons, characters, and missions (and ideally presenting some campaigns).

Yes, the project is still confined to Adeptus/Heretic Astartes and Genestealers.

Two additions are:

• adding solo play rules in which a single player can control the Terminators against AI-controlled Genestealers
  • expanding the character options further, starting with adding Terminator Lieutenants (which don't exist in WH40K yet, but it's not difficult to envision them)

The project remains limited as an expansion to the official rules, meaning we won't present the official rules here and will only show the unofficial stuff. This is unfortunate for those of us that don't have the actual game, but it's a protection for the B&C (we don't want to get a C&D from GW, after all).