Plague Zombies

Ok, pending release of some solid zombie minis from GW or FW (which I'm not holding my breath for), who puts out the best zombies that would be in scale with some nurgley goodness (in 40k terms anyway, so scale is second to quality). I don't know about you, but I bought a box of zombies from WHFantasy and they weren't for me at all (though there were some good bits). Heads were bigger than a space marine helmet... hands were even bigger... but this isn't a gripe thread. It's a tome of enlightenment. A path to guide the followers of plague into the chemical mist that brings out the foul stench of summoning in us all.

What I want is for people to post links to zombie miniatures that they think will be a nice addition to a plague zombie based Chaos army, or pics of zombies that they have scratchbuilt, converted or painted. Give a brief review if you have experience with the mini itself, if applicable, either negative or positive. Painting (and converting) tips wouldn't hurt either. I don't know about you all but I'm going to need at least 30 zeds in my collection. At least one will be a little girl with an emperor doll dragging behind her.

I'll start: Heresy Miniatures Zombie pack #2 http://www.heresyminiatures.com/shop/index...;products_id=38

Ok while these are a bit on the tall side (they stand eye to eye with a space marine) they are thin enough to work in the 40k scale, lending a smaller "more human" appearance. They are metal, which somewhat limits their conversion options, but 2 of the 4 come with separate arm sprues, and the metal is so thin you can bend it a bit for some moderate posing options. Detail is very good. I didn't think they were great enough to buy 5-10 sets of, so the search continues.

I have a few more in the box, so once I dig them out I'll post them in addition to whatever everyone else posts.

Have fun!

Zombie options

GW:

- Zombies box + Catachan/Cadian/any human box

- Cost: $35 + etc (usually $58) for 40 miniatures, or $3.10 per zombie

- Pros: The most options, the closest aesthetic to the universe

- Cons: Cost!, some zombie parts are off-scale

Mantic:

- Zombies Regiment

- Cost: $32.30 for 30 miniatures, or $1.07 per zombie

- Pros: Cheap, decent sculpts

- Cons: "Fantasy" aesthetic, pre-attached bases are difficult to remove

Wargames Factory:

- Zombie Horde and/or Zombie Vixens

- Cost: $19.95 for 30 miniatures, or $0.67 per zombie

- Pros: Cheapest, plenty of options, more modern, not pre-based

- Cons: Still not quite the 40k universe aesthetic

I am going to go with Wargames Factory, myself. So excited!

I have a couple of mantic zombies lying around and was thinking about using them as I find they are nice in representing the scale of ordinary humans / zombies in comparison to the Astartes sculpt 8kind of a tru scale marine thingy without to much effort^^), I also recall that Mantic offered their zombies with Bolt Action minis from the WWII line if you want a less fantasy style look. I`ll try to pick up some of those and make up my mind myself. If huge scoring blops of zombies is the way to go when I get my hands on the dex, I`ll probably go with Mantic zombies for cash reasons anyway 8 all those FW purchases^^)

I also use Mantic Games Zombies. You can get a lot of poses with them which is nice for variety, and you can always slap on IG helmets and whatnot to tie them into 40K more. 30 zombies per pack in more or less the same scale as the FW IG is great for the price.

@Seahawk, Great rundown, thanks! I've considered those mantic zommbies. They seem generic enough that they'd fit into the 40k universe with the simple addition of some bits. Those were really on the top of my list...

Jerry, That should be a really cool, themed force with the new dex. Keep going!

Xin, I didn't know they made a ww2 theme. I'll have to check that out.

Vesper, yeah they work. And some of the bits are very useful when combined with a cadian box, but I think I'd end up with too many bits left over. I may still go that route, and just sell off what I don't use...

Whythre, aren't those pretty hard to find now?

I went ahead and bought 2 corpse carts to convert a couple of rhinos. There are some great bits in there, as well as a few zombies to add to the horde (though they'll need some minor converting, maybe cadian heads or something). I've been eyeballing that conversion for a while, and it would look great on my mkI oop rhinos (as well as keep people from saying I'm cheating for using the smaller toys!). Got 'em for 22 bucks a pop, free shipping. The driver will be turned into an apostate preacher of nurgle for my FW rules.

I actually like the Fantasy Zombies personally... mix and match with the odd Cadian sprue or otherwise will go a long way. Equally, Mantic appear to have produced some great ones recently (or so I'm reliably told!) which may be of interest.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

So the consensus in my group is that 1: Emrys is absolutely correct on both accounts and 2: that you buy the options before they are turned into zombies (ie when the game starts). If you paid for guns, tough luck. Wasted points. Everything else (ie Mark of Nurgle and the 25 extra cultists) still count.

Had a 3000 point doubles game tonight that had Typhus and 30 zombies on the other side of the board, teamed with Nids, and my epidemius allied list and a Khorne/Nurgle list on my side of the board. By the top of turn 3 Tally was maxed out, and zombies killed my teammates HQ! You DO NOT want to get into close combat with a pack of zombies buffed by Epidemius, let me tell you..

I feel like GW may not have thought this allied Typhus/Epidemius list through.

Epidemius lists are always gimmicky, as Epi himself is quite squishy (until the tally is full anyhow) so you have to bubblewrap him carefully. The nids player was swooping 10" away from him, and could have shot his unit to pieces with 2 shooty FMCs while Epi was hiding in ruins, but didn't simply due to lack of experience with the Epi list. I would never consider this list competitive for this reason. He's at least a 215 point investment, with epi and a 7-man plaguebearer squad to bubblewrap him in (at a bare minimum) but Epi lists have been discussed before, and probably better than I can, so I'll digress with saying that I don't think it will be (or is) any different with a zombie/Typhus combo.

While I play CSM, the issue lies in the fact that the rules states, you can not take ANY options When you make them zombies with Typhus, and adding more cultists is an option. While i think you can add 25 more to the squad, your opposition may not feel the same way. My gaming group house ruled it as adding to the squad is not an option, like auto guns or marks, so we allow that. Until it is FAQed, I believe you can only run 10, sadly.

While I play CSM, the issue lies in the fact that the rules states, you can not take ANY options When you make them zombies with Typhus, and adding more cultists is an option. While i think you can add 25 more to the squad, your opposition may not feel the same way. My gaming group house ruled it as adding to the squad is not an option, like auto guns or marks, so we allow that. Until it is FAQed, I believe you can only run 10, sadly.

quote from a poster I know from another forum....

" Phil Kelly was preaching at GD how you could build 35 man units of zombies to me and a lot of other people while showing off the codex so im fairly certain thats the intent and how it should/will be played."

RAI >RAW

I'am using Gdub's fantasy zombies. They look just fine, and when I play in their store I wont get hassaled about using non-GW models. Besides my horde is going to be 140 strong. Take that objective.

gallery_69167_7812_65424.jpg

They do look fine, quite nice actually. My problem with them is that they are warhammer-fantasy styled, which is a bit cartoony for my tastes (big heads, big hands). I know 40k scaling is a bit off, but WFB is way off. That's a stylization, though. Using the WFB zeds, or conversions using GW bits (Cadians/VC skeletons/cultists, etc) is really the best choice if you play at a GW store frequently, or go to official tournaments. I don't. I've literally played at a GW store twice in the 7 years I've been in this hobby.

I'd love to see a pic of that horde on the board!

Oh! My topic got stickied! Thanks, wow. First time for everything I guess.

[edit]Thanks for that emrys. Hopefully this thread will still be contributing once that is cleared up. In the mean time, I'm going to play with as many zeds as I wish, tyvm. More pics, less rules debate :ph34r:

those WW2 german zombies are something else...wouldnt take to much to imperial guard them..and not to bad price wise

mantic have got to be best bang for the buck though...and not to fantasy looking..

with most armies taking more than 60 zombies you gonna need something quick to paint!

those WW2 german zombies are something else...wouldnt take to much to imperial guard them..and not to bad price wise

mantic have got to be best bang for the buck though...and not to fantasy looking..

with most armies taking more than 60 zombies you gonna need something quick to paint!

Exactly. A lot of bare skin on the zeds will help in that regard, or conversely, a lot of clothing. Here's a tutorial that I thought might be good for zombie skin, with some slight alterations (or not?) like another thinned down coat of grey. http://wh40kdaemons.blogspot.com/2011/02/p...guebearers.html

Wayland have an offer for the Mantic's "Corporate Zombies" (they are a one-time Halloween deal, a kitbash of FoW zombies and Corporate Troopers, quite nice. I don't see them on Mantic's website, though).

They are armed, but their rule cover their WYSIWYG. Usable as Nurgle-marked cultists as well. The Corporate look make them perfect to a traitor guard counting as cultists/zombies.

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/mantic-games...prod_18570.html

Archived