Stage 2 - Expanded Rules (Terrain/Battlefield Objects)

Brother Tyler

Our goal here is to create the stock rules for the various expanded scenery that will appear in the various missions. We will largely draw upon the rules from previous editions. Our initial work must be focused on those elements that appear in the missions/campaigns that we will develop, so I've provided a table listing all of them here. However, we aren't limited to those elements and can certainly explore elements that appeared in other missions/campaigns, or even create new ones. The intent is to create a stable of rules that will be available for use in updating the missions/campaigns (both our initial batch and those that we might tackle later over time) as well as in the creation of new missions/campaigns.

• 1 year later...

My time of late has been spent working on the rulebook for Indomitus, so it's time to add this element of the project.

The 1st and 2nd editions of the game had several additional elements of "terrain" and sections. One limiting factor in this game is that we won't be creating any new tile sections. I think that is a bit unfortunate because an expanded availability of sections creates new dynamics to the game. So I'll amend my previous statement by clarifying that the basic Indomitus rules won't create additional/new tile sections.

The reasoning behind this is that the tiles GW created for the 3rd edition of the game are really fantastic and we really can't create complementary new titles using standard printers. Some hobbyists may be able to create new tile sections of sufficient quality by modeling, but those that are limited to printers will have a much more difficult time. We'll include new tile sections as an "advanced" element of the project.

Our efforts for the present will be to create "terrain" that can be represented by counters or models (such as barrels), or which can be represented using the contents of the 3rd edition game (such as the bulkheads being represented by doors at suitable locations).

So here is a listing/index of the "terrain" types that we might include with the game. Once we finalize which ones we'll include, this listing will serve as a hyperlinked index, taking you to the rules for each. The final assessment ("Y" for yes, "N" for no, "?" if I'm looking for input) are in orange. If you disagree with any of these or if you know of any "terrain" that I've missed, please post a reply.

AIR SHAFTS - N

Though these are a personal favorite of mine since they provide the Genestealers with a maneuver option, these require special tiles and won't be included in the basic Indomitus rulebook.

AIRPUMP SYSTEM - ?

These can be represented by counters or easily modeled so we can include them. Whether or not we actually need to include these is up for debate, though, as GW included a rules mechanic (see Mission X) in the 3rd edition of the game.

(HULK) ARCHIVE - Y

This can be represented by counters or easily modeled so we can include them.

BULKHEADS - Y

These can be represented by placing door tiles at appropriate locations so we can include them (I even used two in the first playtest mission).

COMPUTER CONSOLE - ?

These can be represented by counters or easily modeled so we can include them. Whether or not we actually need to include these is up for debate, though, as GW included a rules mechanic (see Mission X) in the 3rd edition of the game.

CRATES - Y

These can be represented by counters or using the barrel models from GW so we can include them.

CRYOGENIC TANKS - ?

These can be represented by counters or easily modeled so we can include them. Whether or not we actually need to include these is up for debate, though, as GW included a rules mechanic (see Mission XI) in the 3rd edition of the game.

DAMPING CONTROLS - ?

DISPOSAL CHUTES - N

Covered in Mission XII (don't need to be included in the Indomitus rules).

GANTRY ROOM - N

These require special tiles and won't be included in the basic Indomitus rulebook.

LIFTS - ?

These require special tiles and won't be included in the basic Indomitus rulebook. Actually, I'm on the fence about this as the disposal chute tile sections (see above) might be used to represent lifts. Hmmm...

LADDERS - N

PITFALLS - N

REACTOR CONTROL - ?

RUBBLE - Y

These can be represented by counters or easily modeled so we can include them.

TOXIN CANISTERS - Y

These can be represented by counters or easily modeled so we can include them.

Okay, it's time to discuss those "terrain" types that are up for debate. We'll start with the airpump system.

AIRPUMP SYSTEM - ?

After re-reading the 2nd edition mission that this appeared in ("Retribution" the 6th mission of the Harbinger of Despair campaign), I don't think that it's necessary to create rules for this "terrain." The airpump system was basically an objective that the Terminators had to reach in order to perform a certain action. As the earlier note indicates, a completely functional mechanism is provided in Mission X where instead of having a counter, the victory conditions described the necessary action.

COMPUTER CONSOLE - ?

Exactly as the airpump system, above.

CRYOGENIC TANKS - ?

These can be represented by counters or easily modeled so we can include them. Whether or not we actually need to include these is up for debate, though, as GW included a rules mechanic (see Mission XI) in the 3rd edition of the game.

These appeared in Mission 5 (Annihilate) of the Harbinger of Despair campaign. The cryogenic tanks appear in a regular 4x4 room with 3 doors and are an objective for the Terminators. Unlike the "terrain" above, there are a bunch of these in the room and it would probably be best to provide double-sided counters for these (in case there is a need to keep track of tanks that are destroyed). Also, providing counters gives mission developers more freedom in incorporating them into a mission.

DAMPING CONTROLS - ?

LIFTS - ?

These require special tiles and won't be included in the basic Indomitus rulebook. Actually, I'm on the fence about this as the disposal chute tile sections (see above) might be used to represent lifts. Hmmm...

I'd actually like to include these. We would limit them to tiles that are provided in the game, but some freedom might be provided by also allowing rooms with only 1 door to also serve as lifts.

REACTOR CONTROL - ?

If anyone disagrees with my conclusions above, please let me know. Soon.

I've been working on the initial draft of the rules for the terrain that will be included. I've changed bulkheads to "blast doors" (matching the name of a suitably nifty set of models from Forge World) and have replaced the 1st edition bulkheads (which were different from those used in 2nd edition) with "heavy doors." I've also consolidated the various types of computers, consoles, and controls into a single terrain type (surprisingly enough, I've called them "computers, consoles, and controls" :wink: ). I've also replaced toxin counters with "large objects" (the rules for these are slightly different from those of normal objects provided in the standard game). I've also expanded the crates type to "crates & barrels" (and missions may provide special rules for these - such as ammunition, explosive, etc.). Lastly, I've expanded the cryogenic tanks to "cryogenic tanks & containment tanks" (again, matching a terrain type available from Forge World.

I'll post the initial draft of the rules later so that you guys can chew them up.

Hmmm...I thought there were rules for pitfalls, but that's just the name of a mission (XII). The ladder rules sort of have a pitfall aspect, but they don't cover the full range of pitfall nastiness. Yes, I suppose we should add those.

This post serves as our index of terrain types. I'll add each to the discussion in alphabetical order.

Ambushes

Autofire Weapons

Blast Doors

Consoles & Controls

Containment Doors

Containment Tanks

Crates & Barrels

Large Objects

Lifts

Pitfalls

Rubble & Debris

Traps

Edited by Brother Tyler
Autofire weapons and traps added, "heavy" doors changed to "containment doors

Return to INDEX

BLAST DOORS (changes)
Often referred to as bulkheads, blast doors are much tougher than ordinary doors and can be sealed permanently shut. Blast doors are placed as open doors at the start of the mission. During the mission the Space Marine player can close blast doors in the same way as other doors. Once closed, blast doors cannot be re-opened. Blast doors are so thick that they cannot be destroyed.

The blast door counters that are provided with the basic Indomitus counter set are placed under the standard door tiles can be used to indicate blast doors. Alternately, players can use suitable models.

tn_gallery_26_7751_1097270.png

Notes: These were called "bulkheads" in the 2nd edition Space Hulk game, but these were different from the "bulkheads" of 1st edition. Also, I did a little Google search of naval terminology and a "bulkhead" isn't a door - it's a wall. So I've re-named both types of "bulkhead" and have given them separate rules. This will allow enterprising players to translate missions/campaigns from both of the previous editions without having confusion as to what a "bulkhead" actually is. In this case, I chose "blast doors" because Forge World has some suitable resin models that use that name. Edited by Brother Tyler

Return to INDEX

BLAST DOORS (clean)
Often referred to as bulkheads, blast doors are much tougher than ordinary doors and can be sealed permanently shut. Blast doors are placed as open doors at the start of the mission. During the mission the Space Marine player can close blast doors in the same way as other doors. Once closed, blast doors cannot be re-opened. Blast doors are so thick that they cannot be destroyed.

The blast door counters that are provided with the basic Indomitus counter set are placed under the standard door tiles to indicate blast doors. Alternately, players can use suitable models.

tn_gallery_26_7751_1097270.png

Return to INDEX

COMPUTERS/CONSOLES/ & CONTROLS (changes)
A mission may require that one side must access or attack a computer, console, or control. The location of the computer, console, or control will be indicated on the mission map. Specific rules for accessing or attacking the computer, console, or control will be provided in the mission.

computer, Cconsoles, and controls may not be picked up or moved. Models attempting to access or attack the computer, console, or control must have line of sight to the computer, console, or control. The computer, console, or control must be in the space to the model’s front in order to be accessed.

Notes: Various missions from 1st and 2nd edition had computers, consoles, or controls that had to be accessed or destroyed. While they often had different markers, they were functionally the same. So I've consolidated them into a single terrain type that allows missions to provide specific instructions while having a baseline in the rulebook. These don't require special markers or models since we'll be following the mechanism of the 3rd edition Space Hulk missions where the location of computers/consoles/controls is indicated on the map and instructions provided in the mission briefing. I'm open to discussion on this, though, and am not averse to including some counters if there is a consensus that this would add value.

The only change here has been to remove "computer" from the name. The reason for that was the format of the rulebook. The implications of consoles and controls are that they may be computerized, so there was no need to include "computer" in the name.
Edited by Brother Tyler

Return to INDEX

CONSOLES & CONTROLS (clean)
A mission may require that one side must access or attack a console or control. The location of the console or control will be indicated on the mission map. Specific rules for accessing or attacking the console or control will be provided in the mission.

Consoles and controls may not be picked up or moved. Models attempting to access or attack the console or control must have line of sight to the console or control. The console or control must be in the space to the model’s front in order to be accessed.

Return to INDEX

CRATES & BARRELS (changes)
The battlefields in which Indomitus battles take place are often littered with various crates and barrels. Crates and barrels cannot be moved and block both line of sight and movement while intact. They can be attacked in the same way as doors. If a crate or barrel is destroyed, replace it with a rubble counter remove the marker from play.

Optional
If players agree, destroyed crates and barrels may be replaced by rubble and debris. If a crate or barrel is destroyed, replace the crate and barrel marker with a rubble and debris counter.

Some crates and barrels contain special objects and any rules for these objects will be provided in the mission.

Crates and barrels can be represented by counters provided with the basic Indomitus counter set, or players can use suitable models.

Notes: The 1st/2nd edition rules had crates, but no barrels. I've added barrels as I could see times when there might barrels full of something littered about a space hulk, hive, or whatever. I'm also reminded of the first Arena of Death table we ran at Games Day Los Angeles years ago, in which some of the barrels were filled with explosive nastiness that characters could shoot at in an attempt to harm enemy models (players of Doom and Quake and any number of other FPS games know what I'm talking about). I can see missions where characters might be searching for something in crates/barrels, so the provision for missions to have special rules provides a bit of flexibility. Edited by Brother Tyler

Return to INDEX

CRATES & BARRELS (clean)
The battlefields in which Indomitus battles take place are often littered with various crates and barrels. Crates and barrels cannot be moved and block both line of sight and movement while intact. They can be attacked in the same way as doors. If a crate or barrel is destroyed, remove the marker from play.

Optional
If players agree, destroyed crates and barrels may be replaced by rubble and debris. If a crate or barrel is destroyed, replace the crate and barrel marker with a rubble and debris counter.

Some crates and barrels contain special objects and any rules for these objects will be provided in the mission.

Crates and barrels can be represented by counters provided with the basic Indomitus counter set, or players can use suitable models.

Return to INDEX

CRYOGENIC TANKS & CONTAINMENT TANKS (changes)
Cryogenicontainment tanks are devices in which creatures can sleep in stasis for years (often called "cryogenic tanks"), surviving the passage of time untouched by age and decay. Containment tanks are devices used to or which store dead specimens. Both types of tanks block line of sight and movement. They are fixed in place and cannot be moved, but can be attacked in the same way as doors. If a tank is destroyed, flip the marker face down. TContainment tanks block line of sight and continue to block line of sight and movement when destroyed.

Cryogenic tanks and containment tanks can be represented by counters provided with the basic Indomitus counter set, or players can use suitable models.

Notes: The previous editions only had cryogenic tanks, but Forge World has a lovely containment tanks mini, so I added them to the description. From a game perspective, there is no real difference between the two, but some missions might include special rules (e.g., Terminators having to kill Genestealers in cryogenic tanks before they revive, Terminators having to recover tissue samples from containment tanks, etc.). Edited by Brother Tyler

Return to INDEX

CRYOGENIC TANKS & CONTAINMENT TANKS (clean)
Containment tanks are devices in which creatures can sleep in stasis for years (often called "cryogenic tanks"), or which store dead specimens. They are fixed in place and cannot be moved, but can be attacked in the same way as doors. If a tank is destroyed, flip the marker face down. Containment tanks block line of sight and continue to block line of sight and movement when destroyed.

Containment tanks can be represented by counters provided with the basic Indomitus counter set, or players can use suitable models.

Return to INDEX

HEAVY CONTAINMENT DOORS (changes)
Heavy Containment doors are similar to regular doors except that they are much more durable. Close assault attacks against heavy containment doors suffer a -2 penalty to the dice roll and models do not benefit from any close assault bonuses when attacking heavy containment doors. Genestealers must roll a 6 on at least one of their close assault dice in order to destroy a heavy containment door. Shooting attacks against heavy containment doors suffer a -1 penalty to the dice roll and models do not benefit from the sustained fire bonus. This means that bolter type weapons (storm bolters, combi-bolters, and the bolter portion of combi-weapons) are useless against heavy containment doors. Flamer weapons are also useless against heavy containment doors. Shooting attacks that automatically destroy normal doors (such as meltaguns) must roll a 5 or higher in order to destroy heavy containment doors.

The heavy containment door counters that are provided with the basic Indomitus counter set are placed under the standard door markers to indicate heavy containment doors. Alternately, players can use suitable models.

tn_gallery_26_7751_336033.png

Notes: These were called "bulkheads" in the 1st edition Space Hulk game, but these were different from the "bulkheads" of 2nd edition. Also, I did a little Google search of naval terminology and a "bulkhead" isn't a door - it's a wall. So I've re-named both types of "bulkhead" and have given them separate rules. This will allow enterprising players to translate missions/campaigns from both of the previous editions without having confusion as to what a "bulkhead" actually is. Since these doors can be damaged, but are more durable than regular doors, I chose the (relatively lame) name of "heavy doors" for them. If we can come up with something better, I'm open to suggestions. Edited by Brother Tyler

Return to INDEX

CONTAINMENT DOORS (clean)
Containment doors are similar to regular doors except that they are much more durable. Close assault attacks against containment doors suffer a -2 penalty to the dice roll and models do not benefit from any close assault bonuses when attacking containment doors. Genestealers must roll a 6 on at least one of their close assault dice in order to destroy a containment door. Shooting attacks against containment doors suffer a -1 penalty to the dice roll and models do not benefit from the sustained fire bonus. This means that bolter type weapons (storm bolters, combi-bolters, and the bolter portion of combi-weapons) are useless against containment doors. Flamer weapons are also useless against containment doors. Shooting attacks that automatically destroy normal doors (such as meltaguns) must roll a 5 or higher in order to destroy containment doors.

The containment door counters that are provided with the basic Indomitus counter set are placed under the standard door markers to indicate containment doors. Alternately, players can use suitable models.

Return to INDEX

LARGE OBJECTS (changes)
A mission may require that one side must carry a large object into position, or retrieve it for themselves.

Unlike regular objects (see the Space Hulk Rulebook), large objects limit movement and prevent both shooting and close assault. A model carrying a large object can never move more spaces than its base AP – CPs can’t be used to move them further. A model carrying a large object can’t perform any shooting or close assault attacks. If a model carrying a large object is attacked by close assault, the model may not defend and any dice roll of 3 or higher successfully kills the model. If a model carrying a large object is killed, the large object is dropped in the square in which the model was standing.

A model may drop a large object for 1 AP in order to perform other actions. A model may pick a large object up for 2 AP.

Additional rules for large objects may be specified in a mission in which they are used.

A large object counter is provided with the basic Indomitus counter set, or players can use a model or counter.

Notes: Various missions in 1st and 2nd edition include the requirement to move objects of one kind or another. The specific requirements varied, but they generally entailed similar impacts (limitations) upon movement. The 3rd edition Space Hulk rulebook includes rules for objects, but these aren't nearly as limiting as some of the objects from previous editions, so I added the more encumbering objects as a new class of "heavy objects." In order to allow for the additional impacts that some of the objects had in the previous editions, I've included the provision for mission-specific rules.

Return to INDEX

LIFTS (changes)
Lifts allow models to move to different levels safely and quickly. A lift may connect two or more levels. Lifts come in a variety of sizes and are accessible by a door. Lift tiles have two sides. One side shows the floor of the lift and is used to indicate the level at which a lift is currently located. The other side shows the lift shaft and is used to show all other levels that are accessible to the lift. In addition, the lift door counters that are provided with the basic Indomitus counter set are placed under the standard door markers to indicate lift doors.

Lift Doors
Lift doors are treated just like regular blast doors, but may only be opened if the lift is on the same level. While most lifts have only one door, some lifts have multiple doors. Only one door to a lift may be open at a time. If different models try to access different doors to a lift on the same level, the first door given the access command will open first. Lift doors may be attacked and destroyed just as regular doors. Some lift doors may be treated as heavy doors or blast doors if indicated by the mission rules. If lift doors are treated as blast doors, t They ignore the normal rule preventing blast doors from being opened, though they cannot be destroyed. Unless the mission special rules indicate otherwise, lift doors will normally be closed until commanded otherwise (see below). Regardless of lift occupancy, lift doors will automatically close at the end of the player turn unless the mission special rules indicate otherwise.

Lift Commands
Lifts may be given commands from both outside and inside the lift. Commands from outside will be access commands and will both call a lift to the level on which the command is given and automatically open the lift door when the lift reaches the level on which the command is given and automatically open the door when the lift reaches the level. Commands from inside a lift will generally be to move the lift to another level and automatically open a lift door, or they may be to open or close a lift door.

Lifts will generally follow the commands they are given in the order in which they are given, though all commands given on the current level are followed before commands given on other levels. The exception is that a lift with a command to move to a level will stop at other levels on the way if given the Access command from those levels. The red lift command markers are used to indicate the sequence in which lift door commands are given. Place these markers at the lift doors. The lift will first open the lift door with the 1 marker. After that door closes, the door with the 2 marker will open.

For example, a Space Marine Terminator enters a lift at level 1 and gives the command to move to level 4. On the next turn, the lift door at level 3 is accessed, giving a command for the lift access level 3. Since the lift will reach level 3 before it reaches level 4, the lift will stop at level 3 as commanded. If the lift door had been accessed at level 5, the lift would stop at level 4 per the earlier command before stopping at level 5.

Lift Movement
When a lift is given a command to move to another level, it will begin its movement sequence at the end of the current player turn. If any lift doors are open, they will automatically shut and the lift will move one level, reaching the next level at the end of the next player turn. The lift will continue moving one level per player turn until it reaches the target level. If the lift receives access commands from levels that are en route to the target level, it will stop at those levels and resolve all access commands from those levels before continuing its movement. Lift movement sequence begins with the door shutting automatically at the end of the current player turn. The lift will move between levels during the next player turn and will reach the other level at the end of the next player turn. The lift door will open at the end of the current player's next turn unless opened by command (1 AP) from either inside or outside the lift.

For example, a Space Marine Terminator enters a lift at level 1 and gives the command to move to level 4. At the end of the Space Marine turn, the lift door will automatically shut and the lift will begin moving to level 4. At the end of the Genestealer turn, the lift will reach level 2. At the end of the next Space Marine turn, the lift will reach level 3. The lift will finally reach level 4 at the end of the next Genestealer turn. Once the lift reaches level 4, the lift door will automatically open. If there are multiple doors, the Space Marine player may choose which one opens.

The green lift command markers are used to indicate the sequence at which each level command is given (whether an access command from that level or a movement command from inside the lift). The number on each marker is that of the level and these markers are placed in a row next to one of the lift tiles. If a subsequent lift command is to a level that the lift will move to en route to an earlier level, place the subsequent lift command marker before the earlier command marker.

tn_gallery_26_7751_424342.png

Note that most missions that involve lifts will only have two levels, so using the lift rules won’t be complicated. However, some players may desire to develop more complex missions that involve three or more levels. Similarly, most lifts will have only one door. Again, some players may desire to develop more complex missions that include multi-door lifts. So these rules have been developed with the intent to provide that flexibility. For most players, the use of lifts will be fairly straightforward movement on/off a single-door lift between two levels.

Notes: If there is anything that needs to be discussed and revised, it is the rules I've drafted for the Lifts. I'm still going through the older material to see if I can streamline and clarify these rules. There will definitely be graphics accompanying the rules for lifts (and you can see at least one placeholder above). I drafted these with a vision of some (overly) ambitious players having a crazy mission that included four or five levels, though I know that such an event is highly unlikely to ever take place. So I may have over-engineered these (slightly, ever so slightly :wink: ).

As you can see, I've streamlined these rules significantly. The lifts now only move between two levels and the doors are treated as blast doors. This greatly simplifies things. When we work on the advanced rules later (oh, I haven't mentioned those, have I?), we'll expand the lift rules for multiple doors and multiple levels. Edited by Brother Tyler

Return to INDEX

LIFTS (clean)
Lifts allow models to move to different levels safely and quickly. Lifts come in a variety of sizes and are accessible by a door. Lift tiles have two sides. One side shows the floor of the lift and is used to indicate the level at which a lift is currently located. The other side shows the lift shaft and is used to show all other levels that are accessible to the lift. In addition, the lift door counters that are provided with the basic Indomitus counter set are placed under the standard door markers to indicate lift doors.

Lift Doors
Lift doors are treated just like blast doors, but may only be opened if the lift is on the same level. They ignore the normal rule preventing blast doors from being opened, though they cannot be destroyed. Unless the mission special rules indicate otherwise, lift doors will normally be closed until commanded otherwise (see below). Regardless of lift occupancy, lift doors will automatically close at the end of the player turn unless the mission special rules indicate otherwise.

Lift Commands
Lifts may be given commands from both outside and inside the lift. Commands from outside will be access commands and will both call a lift to the level on which the command is given and automatically open the lift door when the lift reaches the level on which the command is given and automatically open the door when the lift reaches the level. Commands from inside a lift will generally be to move the lift to another level and automatically open a lift door, or they may be to open or close a lift door.

Lifts will generally follow the commands they are given in the order in which they are given, though all commands given on the current level are followed before commands given on other levels.

Lift Movement
When a lift is given a command to move to another level, it will begin its movement sequence at the end of the current player turn. Lift movement sequence begins with the door shutting automatically at the end of the current player turn. The lift will move between levels during the next player turn and will reach the other level at the end of the next player turn. The lift door will open at the end of the current player's next turn unless opened by command (1 AP) from either inside or outside the lift.

tn_gallery_26_7751_424342.png

Return to INDEX

PITFALLS (changes)
A pitfall is a hole in the floor, opening onto the next lower level. The pitfall doesn’t continue through to the next floor.

Space Marine Terminators and Pitfalls
Roll a dice when a Space Marine enters a square that contains a pitfall. On a roll of 1 the Space Marine falls down to the space below. Alternately, a Space Marine may intentionally jump into a pitfall by announcing that he is doing so as he enters the space. Jumping into a pitfall costs 1 AP after entering the space where the pitfall is located. Whether falling or jumping in the pitfall, the Space Marine maintains his facing upon landing, but loses any action points he may have had remaining at the time that he fell (command points may be used to perform extra actions as normal). Any model in the square below is destroyed.

Terminator armour is too bulky to climb up through a pitfall.

Genestealers and Pitfalls
Genestealers and blips can enter and pass through pitfall squares without risk of falling. They can climb up through a pitfall at a cost of 3 APs. They can jump down into a pitfall at no extra cost by announcing their intention to do so when entering the space, or by paying an additional 1 AP if they decide to jump down the pitfall after they have already occupied the square. The Genestealer player may give the jumping model any facing upon landing.

A Genestealer may only jump down into a square occupied by a Space Marine if it launches a close assault, in which case the close assault is resolved as if the Space Marine is not facing the Genestealer. If the Space Marine survives the close assault, the model is moved either backward or to the side of the Space Marine player’s choice and is turned to face the Genestealer who now occupies the square.

A Space Marine standing in a pitfall square may shoot at a Genestealer in the pitfall square above or below. An area effect weapon in a section with a pitfall does not affect the section above or below.

Hidden Setup
Some missions allow pitfalls to be placed in hidden locations, concealed among rubble and debris. In these cases, the pitfall marker is placed facedown with the rubble and debris side up. Hidden pitfall markers can only be placed in spaces where there is a corresponding space on a lower level. Any model moving into the space pays the additional AP to enter the space. In addition, there is an increased chance that the model will fall into the hidden pitfall. Roll a D6 for the model moving into the space. A Terminator moving into a hidden pitfall space will fall into the pitfall on a roll of 4+ while a Genestealer or blip moving into a hidden pitfall space will fall into the pitfall on a roll of 6+. Once a model moves into the space, the pitfall is no longer hidden and remains face up for the remainder of the game. In addition, the pitfall above marker should be placed in the corresponding lower level space at this time. A hidden pitfall will be revealed if a Genestealer or blip moves through the pitfall. Additionally, if a model from the opposing side that placed the hidden pitfall marker moves into the corresponding space below the hidden pitfall, the pitfall will be revealed.

Best Practice
When the hidden setup rule is used with pitfalls, there should be at least one rubble and debris marker for each hidden pitfall. This will ensure that the exact location of hidden pitfalls remains unknown until they are activated.

Notes: The pitfall rules have been updated based on the ladder rules in 3rd edition. Edited by Brother Tyler
Added verbiage about LOS and area effect weapons

Return to INDEX

PITFALLS (clean)
A pitfall is a hole in the floor, opening onto the next lower level. The pitfall doesn’t continue through to the next floor.

Space Marine Terminators and Pitfalls
Roll a dice when a Space Marine enters a square that contains a pitfall. On a roll of 1 the Space Marine falls down to the space below. Alternately, a Space Marine may intentionally jump into a pitfall by announcing that he is doing so as he enters the space. Jumping into a pitfall costs 1 AP after entering the space where the pitfall is located. Whether falling or jumping in the pitfall, the Space Marine maintains his facing upon landing, but loses any action points he may have had remaining at the time that he fell (command points may be used to perform extra actions as normal). Any model in the square below is destroyed.

Terminator armour is too bulky to climb up through a pitfall.

Genestealers and Pitfalls
Genestealers and blips can enter and pass through pitfall squares without risk of falling. They can climb up through a pitfall at a cost of 3 APs. They can jump down into a pitfall at no extra cost by announcing their intention to do so when entering the space, or by paying an additional 1 AP if they decide to jump down the pitfall after they have already occupied the square. The Genestealer player may give the jumping model any facing upon landing.

A Genestealer may only jump down into a square occupied by a Space Marine if it launches a close assault, in which case the close assault is resolved as if the Space Marine is not facing the Genestealer. If the Space Marine survives the close assault, the model is moved either backward or to the side of the Space Marine player’s choice and is turned to face the Genestealer who now occupies the square.

A Space Marine standing in a pitfall square may shoot at a Genestealer in the pitfall square above or below. An area effect weapon in a section with a pitfall does not affect the section above or below.

Hidden Setup
Some missions allow pitfalls to be placed in hidden locations, concealed among rubble and debris. In these cases, the pitfall marker is placed facedown with the rubble and debris side up. Hidden pitfall markers can only be placed in spaces where there is a corresponding space on a lower level. Any model moving into the space pays the additional AP to enter the space. In addition, there is an increased chance that the model will fall into the hidden pitfall. Roll a D6 for the model moving into the space. A Terminator moving into a hidden pitfall space will fall into the pitfall on a roll of 4+ while a Genestealer or blip moving into a hidden pitfall space will fall into the pitfall on a roll of 6+. Once a model moves into the space, the pitfall is no longer hidden and remains face up for the remainder of the game. In addition, the pitfall above marker should be placed in the corresponding lower level space at this time. A hidden pitfall will be revealed if a Genestealer or blip moves through the pitfall. Additionally, if a model from the opposing side that placed the hidden pitfall marker moves into the corresponding space below the hidden pitfall, the pitfall will be revealed.

Best Practice
When the hidden setup rule is used with pitfalls, there should be at least one rubble and debris marker for each hidden pitfall. This will ensure that the exact location of hidden pitfalls remains unknown until they are activated. Edited by Brother Tyler

Return to INDEX

RUBBLE & DEBRIS (changes)
The battlefields in which Indomitus battles take place are often damaged during combat. This can leave large amounts of rubble and debris. Rubble and debris does not block line of sight, it hinders movement. Spaces strewn with rubble and debris are marked with one of the rubble counters provided in the basic Indomitus counter set.

It costs an additional 1 AP to enter a rubble and debris space. The move from a rubble and debris space to another space has no additional penalty (unless the other space also has rubble and debris).

When a Space Marine or Chaos Space Marine fires a bolter, storm bolter, assault cannon, or reaper autocannon at a target in or behind a rubble and debris space, there’s a chance the shot is deflected by the rubble and debris. The Genestealer may re-roll each of the D6 that hits. On a 5 or 6, the shot is deflected and has no effect. On any other result, the shot hits as normal. If the shot passes through or into more than one rubble and debris pile, the Genestealer re-rolls for each rubble pile.

Optional:
If players agree, if a door is destroyed (including heavy doors, lift doors, etc.), replace the door marker with a rubble counter destroyed doors may be replaced by rubble and debris. If a door is destroyed, replace the door marker with a rubble and debris counter.

Notes: This was a fairly straightforward adaptation of the rules from the previous editions. Edited by Brother Tyler
Added verbiage about rubble possibly deflecting shots, added "debris" to the name of the terrain type

Return to INDEX

RUBBLE & DEBRIS (clean)
The battlefields in which Indomitus battles take place are often damaged during combat. This can leave large amounts of rubble and debris. Rubble and debris does not block line of sight, it hinders movement. Spaces strewn with rubble and debris are marked with one of the rubble counters provided in the basic Indomitus counter set.

It costs an additional 1 AP to enter a rubble and debris space. The move from a rubble and debris space to another space has no additional penalty (unless the other space also has rubble and debris).

When a Space Marine or Chaos Space Marine fires a bolter, storm bolter, assault cannon, or reaper autocannon at a target in or behind a rubble and debris space, there’s a chance the shot is deflected by the rubble and debris. The Genestealer may re-roll each of the D6 that hits. On a 5 or 6, the shot is deflected and has no effect. On any other result, the shot hits as normal. If the shot passes through or into more than one rubble and debris pile, the Genestealer re-rolls for each pile.

Optional:
If players agree, destroyed doors may be replaced by rubble and debris. If a door is destroyed, replace the door marker with a rubble and debris counter.

Okay, that pretty much captures all of the terrain that is currently being considered for inclusion.

The focus right now is ensuring that the basic concept of the rules for each terrain type are fair and clear.

Once we settle these rules, we can explore any additional terrain types that we might want to add (though the window of opportunity for that will be pretty small as we've basically had the door for that open for awhile).