Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

for the moment this is mostly just a placeholder.

Will post the Tycho from my other thread here for the sake of having an image:

gallery_14877_7728_174739.jpg

I'll update this thread in the next day or so with pics of the following:

5 x 10 man tactical squads, none of them are fully painted, one is 'close' but will probably get a new paint job based on recent paint developments.

2 x 10 man assault squads, same as above for state they're in.

3 x 5 man Sanguinary Guard squad, one of these is a 'pre heresy' mk4 squad.

1 x 5 man honour guard squad

20 terminators

4 sanguinary priests in various power armour

1 sanguinary priest in terminator armour

Custom build corbulo

Custom built Dante

Finished version of the Tycho above.

Terminator Librarian

WIP thunderhawk Gunship.

2 dreadnaughts

1 contemptor dread

4 rhinos

2 baal preditors

1 vindicator

1 drop pod

1 Storm Raven.

Also:

WIP (building) replacement Vanguard for the squad I posted last time around as they died a horrible death during the last thread (bad spray paint, heavy thing dropped on them, bad paint stripper)

WIP (building) Chaplain and Librarian in PA

There are forgeworld bits as well as greenstuff work on near enough every single model noted above, the marines are about 90% reposed as far as legs go, exceptions are a few Forgeworld ones that already had good poses + sanguinary guard legs.

Wish me luck :)

I'll tell you what....

You and I will push each other and make sure we get our projects moving along.

Sure, I have roughly 4 times as much to paint, but what the hell.....

Let's inspire each other!

@ Longfang66: Cheers mate, the finished version has a few improvements above and beyond the one above, hopefully folk will approve.

@ TalonZahn: Sure thing! The sons of Sanguinius should stick together! You have more to paint, but my main 'thing' is sculpting heh, I've still got another 30 marines for the battlecompany to cut into lots of little bits and then pose and sculpt detail on... and before those I've got 10 vanguard and 10 sternguard to do the same for... not to mention the deathcompany that I've not even thought of yet... Still we've got our work cut out, so best get to it! :)

and an update already (as I have a new phone and decided to test the camera... it comes to something when it takes better pictures than either of my actual cameras :/)

The starts of the Vanguard Squad I mentioned:

Vanguard #1, upper legs are entirely sculpted, lots of other bits of greenstuff work on there, he wears a slightly modified suit of mk2 armour and is posed to look like he's firing the pistol just as he lands, does he need any additional detail for a veteran do people think?

gallery_14877_7794_85461.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_110778.jpg

Vanguard #2, this guy will be the sergeant, using an Axe Encarmine and storm shield, the legs are as always, reposed, and a fair bit of gs work in them, still early on this guy though, he'll have detailing similar to sergeant lorenzo of space hulk and he's posed to look like he's landing into an enemy, the storm shield will be angled slightly to help with that image.

gallery_14877_7794_39801.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_52191.jpg

Thunderhawk Additional interior detail:

I decided that I didn't like all the waisted space inside the Thunderhawk (it's interior only goes about half way along) to that end, I've removed the wall section that slots into the back, replacing it with bulkheads so that the roof piece still sits in the correct place, and have been making a rear section that is loosely based on the thunderhawk scene from Ultramarines. It will have 5 more harnesses on either side of the harnesses already in place (I need to wait for 5 to be available from a bits site) as well as some wall detailing that'll include the roof bit for the holo projector. I'll probably also model a veteran marine using the terminal and maybe have marines in the harnesses on one side.

gallery_14877_7794_168421.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_214988.jpg

Painting Thunderhawk Interior:

The silver flooring is likely going to be redone, I'm not at all happy with it, there's some areas of tidying still to be done on the bone sections, and I'll obviously need to highlight the lot of it (joy). But here's a few pics of the terminals.

gallery_14877_7794_87341.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_53555.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_5788.jpg

Painting the Pilots:

So, they're pretty early on right now, the face on the one is mostly finished, while the other is awaiting more paint on my pin vice currently. The Red on the one with no head is mostly done, and uses Sixestohit's recipe, I'll likely add another highlight using some brown rose though, and also deepen the shadows a bit. Should I add weathering? For the marines elsewhere I planned to, but thought that pilots probably shouldn't be weathered, thoughts?

gallery_14877_7794_46737.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_29920.jpg

Pretty much waht Lorenzen said; I've always been envious of your skills with greenstuff, and has inspired me to try new things that I wouldn't have before. Thank you for all the inspiration, and I'll be looking forward to more of your filthy mutants painted up. ;)

Always been inspired by your works, blind.

Definitely like the additional interior guts you've created for the Thunderhawk, some class work. Those Vanguard conversions capture that jump pack touchdown feel beautifully. More of that will create a fantastic looking squad. If you can find the time and motivation to continue updating it, this log might live on to become one of the greatest ever. :P Good luck, man. :D

Man, I remember your Imperial Fist scout project, what ever happened to them? Everything looks top notch, and it's nice to see someone with the guts to cut up the Forgeworld stuff. More power to you!

@ dynamicspartan: Cheers mate!

@ Midnight Runner: Very kind of you to say so, I do spend a lot of time on my miniatures, and of late have started getting very nitpicky too (I trashed a squad of sternguard that just didn't feel veteran-y enough, and a number of tactical marines that were especially far from current standard on reposing of legs etc), It's good to know that the effort shows though!

@ Killax: Thanks, I'll do my best B)

@ Lorenzen: Well, in fairness your skills have improved a lot more than mine, the time and effort you've put in over the last few years really shows in all your projects, the Deathguard for example are awe inspiring, and you continue to sculpt better tabards than me :). We'll have to motivate eachother!

@ 1000heathens: Cheers, that means a lot considering how awesome your own blog has been (the fact it has over 1k posts is impressive!!) I'll try to provide further inspiration, while stealing from you, your sense of movement is exceptional.

@ Darth Potato: Thanks mate, it's always nice to get a warm welcome back, and I'll keep an eye out for your own stuff now I'm posting more again. Glad you like the WIP Thunderhawk interior additions, if you have any suggestions on improvements though, please let me know :D

@ Talthus: Haha, thats showing your age! I did that model nearly 5 years ago! (I know as I'd met my now wife only a month earlier) Sadly the one member met a horrible fate... that being said, I do plan to make two scout squads for this army eventually, a sniper team and a bolter/bolt pistol+ccw/shotgun squad. I'll probably use the same concepts as I did for him all over again :huh: As for cutting up forgeworld stuff... well, I've got quite a bit of it and realised that ultimately they're just bits like any other, sadly in stock poses they often do not fit the rest of the army though.

Anyway, a Minor Update:

gallery_14877_7794_48157.jpg

need to add the blood drop and little rivets to it, then replicate the same design on the other leg along with sculpt the knee pad.

he's getting one of the shoulders with wings on it from the sanguinary guard kit and also have the handle of the storm shield to add then stick the shield to the arm.

Should I weather the armour of the Thunderhawk pilots? or not?

Yeah, I lurked on here long before I made an account. As to the thunderhawk pilots, I'd vote no, as they are probably shuttling their brothers back and forth from orbit so their armor probably wouldn't be damaged at all. Unless, that is the squads that are embarked in the thuderhawk contribute a pilot, then yes. If that makes sense...

That Sgt. is looking glorious, will his shield be getting decor?

Yeah, I lurked on here long before I made an account. As to the thunderhawk pilots, I'd vote no, as they are probably shuttling their brothers back and forth from orbit so their armor probably wouldn't be damaged at all. Unless, that is the squads that are embarked in the thuderhawk contribute a pilot, then yes. If that makes sense...

That Sgt. is looking glorious, will his shield be getting decor?

update for the Vanguard marine:

Right leg is finished, though I may touch up the left side of the crosshatch detail, maybe, the left leg needs the blood drop sculpted and rivets added, the knee also needs a little extra work to get the shape a little harder edged.

gallery_14877_7794_316176.jpg

Close up:

gallery_14877_7794_14836.jpg

I've made very slow progress on sculpting rivets on the Thunderhawk interior piece, but didn't bother to get pics as it's not very exciting.

Tomorrow I'll be undercoating 10 assault marines an a couple of tacticals, plus basecoating the lot in the first shade of red. So should be a decent update.

First up, some shots of stuff from a distance, as noted nearly every marine has been reposed, just the sanguinary guard, a few forgeworld models and one set of running legs that were not :o

Wide shots:

gallery_14877_7794_27240.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_83821.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_41561.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_44115.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_121984.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_33392.jpg

Squad pics (note I actually didn't take shots of a couple of em, and no pics of individual vehicles, I'll post pics of squads on their own when I get around to painting them):

Blood Angels 3rd Company 1st Squad(Tactical), Squad is armed with lascannon and Plasmagun, Sergeant carries a Power Sword, Squad armour consists of 1 mk2 1 mk3, 1 mk4, 2 mk6, 4 mk7 and 1 mk8 suits.

gallery_14877_7794_138191.jpg

Blood Angels 3rd Company 2nd Squad(Tactical), Squad is armed with Rocket Launcher and Melta Gun, Sergeant carries a Power Sword, Squad armour consists of 2 mk4, 1 mk5, 3 mk6, 2 mk7 and 2 mk8 suits.

gallery_14877_7794_233958.jpg

Blood Angels 3rd Comapny 3rd Squad(Tactical), Squad is armed with a Heavy Bolter and a Flamer, Sergeant carries a Bolter. Squad Armour consists of 1 mk5, 3 mk6 5 mk7 and one suit of an unknown mk.

gallery_14877_7794_242800.jpg

Blood Angels 3rd Company 4th Squad(Tactical), Squad is armed with close combat weapons and an infernus Pistol and Flamer, Sergeant carries a Power Sword. Squad Armour consists of 1 mk3, 2 mk4, 1 mk5, 2 mk6 and 4 mk7 suits.

gallery_14877_7794_60026.jpg

Blood Angels 3rd Company 5th Squad(Tactical), Squad is armed with A Plasma Gun and Plasma Cannon, Sergeant carries a Power Sword. Squad Armour consists of 2 mk6, 7 mk7 and 1 mk8 suits.

gallery_14877_7794_290303.jpg

Blood Angels 3rd Company 7th Squad(Assault), Squad is armed with two Melta Guns, Sergeant Carries a Power Sword. Squad Armour consists of 1 mk2, 2 mk4, 2 mk5, 2 mk6 and 3 mk7 suits.

gallery_14877_7794_92575.jpg

Blood Angels 3rd Company 8th Squad (Assault), Squad is armed with two Melta Guns, Sergeant Carries a Thunderhammer. Squad Armour consists of 1 mk2, 1 mk4, 1 mk5, 1 mk6 and 6 mk7 suits.

gallery_14877_7794_242523.jpg

Tycho is joined by Commander Dante and elements of the 1st company along with most of the Sanguinary guard and units from the motor pool:

Sanguinary Guard (third squad not pictured, the first squad is a squad wearing older artificer armour that is less gaudy):

gallery_14877_7794_283531.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_195298.jpg

Sanguinary Priests (Corbulo is the mk4 marine in the middle, pose was made to mirror the classic Corbulo, while continuing my trend of building my characters from scratch):

gallery_14877_7794_93647.jpg

Terminators (space hulk ones not pictured):

gallery_14877_7794_287454.jpg

Dante's Honour Guard (banner bearer and sanguinary initiate are not shown, the Blood Champion may be replaced with a better model at some point, he's not really in keeping with the rest of the squad who are more static)

gallery_14877_7794_9211.jpg

Actual Progress Update:

So, Vanguard sergeant is 'finished' in terms of sculpting now I think:

gallery_14877_7794_82741.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_81358.jpg

I also had some green stuff left (as usual) so added a couple of random extra details to the other vanguard:

gallery_14877_7794_237728.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_247179.jpg

Next I'll have to cut up the next set of legs...

I've got 4 mk7 marines and one mk6, mk5, mk4 and mk2 marines still to do. In that lot there is a power maul, 2 power swords, a power fist and a pair of lightning claws. What combo should I do as Vanguard number 3? Votes??

Comments, suggestions, thoughts on the next marine and requests for better pictures appreciated ;) ('ll actually start painting soon, I promise!)

great update so far! I have always been a fan of your BA and all the lovely extra detailing. great idea on the thunderhawk. I have 10 spare drop pod harnesses also and wanted to attempt a similar conversion (once i will own a thunderhawk one day). is it difficult to magnetize the thunderhawk so the top is removable and you can see the interior? i heard the fit of the model is terrible!

Hmm, nobody has a view on which Vanguard Marine to make next?

I've got 4 mk7 marines and one mk6, mk5, mk4 and mk2 marines still to do. In that lot there is a power maul, 2 power swords, a power fist and a pair of lightning claws.

@Biohazard/Furioso-prime: Thanks guys, glad you like them :D

@Tagsta: Yeah, it just seems a shame to have all that wasted space on the thunderhawk!, much better to use it :) As far as magnetising it goes, I wouldn't bother, stick the top section together, but stick the nose and the rear engine to the bottom section (pinning them of course) then just add a couple of pins along the length to add additional support for the upper section to simply lift out and slot in. it'll probably require a little work to get neat though, there is a LOT of filing and cutting involved in the thunderhawk. The main area that didn't fit for me, is where the two top sections meet.

Archived