Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

LutherMax: I'm going to give making a mold of the original sword a go again - i've tried before and never managed to get a result i was happy with.

the sword im talking about isnt available anymore, it was from the old chaos lord on manticore, and even it would have needed some conversion work i think.

so, i'm having a bit of a dillema.

I've had a chat with Lamenter/master of the forge about how he made the sword seen in LutherMax' photo.

He recommended i use:

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/images/ZOMBIEDRAGON%20(2).JPG

this was apparently the sword hed planned to use originally before breaking it.

I then also found

http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/WightKingSprue.jpg

And im wondering if the wight king sword might be a good option?

Things I know:

Finding either part as a stand alone bit has been impossible, i've checked about every site i could think of. If anyone has suggestions on that, please share!

I did find a place in america that sells all the vampire lord bits as a set, but that works out as about £20. I could get the wight king as a complete kit for about £8.

The vampire lord sword is more detailed for sure, so might give the overall better final appearance. On the other hand the wight king sword is broader which puts me in mind of this image:

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358181319l/17241736.jpg

which was a big part of the inspiration to do my mephiston with gauntlets and legs the way he has them...

Any suggestions/opinions please share!

so, im feeling pretty rough today, but wanted to show progress on a custom sword for Mephiston...

i'm going to see if i can get this right, and if i can i'll use it, if not, i'll sort out getting one of the two swords listed above...

gallery_14877_7794_95989.jpg

i'll be using the blade up to the part where it meets the power generator. but will be sorting out a different crossguard.

thoughts?

Why did you recreate the silly form of stock Mephiston's blade?

i still may not use it, will depend on how the wight king blade looks size wise.

on the other hand, one of the key things when doing a scatch build version of a stock character is to ensure certain visual aspects are kept as close to the original as possible.

so for example, my dante has the same style left shoulder pad, same design to the leg armour, same detailing to the chest and waist and then the pistol is near identical and the axe is kept visually similar albeit larger.

So for mephiston i've always wanted to find a stock blade that had a similar 'feel' to his sword, and always failed. I'll test out the wight kings sword for sure, but till i can get a chance to go get the model, i wont know how it'll look.

so... a bit of progress, as part of deciding id do the sword, i also decided i was no longer happy with 'settling' for the belt detail astoraths torso had, so am now sculpting a more traditional looking belt for him, also removed the odd belt around the coat i did, i dont feel it added to the model. But i have added a small cord with vial of blood to his belt and a couple of plastic blood drops (that i think i may remove and sculpt smaller versions of tbh :P) as well as added the missing rivets to his hood and horns to the skulls.

med_gallery_14877_7794_25191.jpg

Then there is also a bit of progress on his sword - this is proving to be a slow process, but once things are sanded down, details are added (blood drops on either side of the base of the blade, the side of the hilt you can see here is where a cable will be added going from it to under the shoulder pad, the other side will get a skull as per the classic look and i'll probably add a couple of rivets on each side of the bit the blade attaches to the hilt by (as per the dark vengeance DA librarian which i used for reference))

med_gallery_14877_7794_30439.jpg

as well as the above things i've been working on this:

med_gallery_14877_7794_465732.jpg

Goes together rather well, interior has been sprayed white, however my compressor is not up to the task of anything at all - so need to wait for next pay day (where im hoping for some backpay) to get a replacement, once interior is done i'll stick it together.

I mentioned i'd been doing bases for my devastator squad, this is how they look at the moment (note that second from the left at the front has had a tweak to make the resin bit less obvious already since this pic haha)

med_gallery_14877_7794_730227.jpg

I also made a bit of progress on the five new vanguard i had started and they're starting to come together slowly:

med_gallery_14877_7794_55535.jpg

oh and these arrived:

med_gallery_14877_7794_397697.jpg

which (along with a number of mk2 and 3 models i already have but havent built) will form a 10 man breacher squad and a 10 man tactical support squad (any suggestions on special weapon to give that squad?)

little bit of progress on mephiston - belt is done, a little hard to see due to areas of miliput around it showing again where i've removed/smoothed things.

sword is almost done, just need to sand the hilt smooth and add rivets the attach to hand along with a pomel (using one from the Dark Vengeance Librarian i think)

gallery_14877_7794_80961.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up on the update there.  Mephiston looking really great Blindhamster, same with the Devastator, Vanguard & tank.  When do you think you'll be getting Mephstion painted?

I've just been rebase my Iron Warriors & Space Wolves onto 32mm base over the past few months.  Can not really see past useing them for Power Armour models, just look really cool :D

Just caught up on the update there. Mephiston looking really great Blindhamster, same with the Devastator, Vanguard & tank. When do you think you'll be getting Mephstion painted?

I've just been rebase my Iron Warriors & Space Wolves onto 32mm base over the past few months. Can not really see past useing them for Power Armour models, just look really cool biggrin.png

Thanks man, pretty pleased with how he came out.

I've fully undercoated him now, but havent had a chance to start painting him yet. I have however been working on the interior for the spartan when i've had a little spare time.

Totally agree on 32mm bases, make a huge difference for how marines look.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, as always, its been a while since my last update. However i've not been totally idle, a number of things have been getting worked on, albeit very little painting has been getting done (I so rarely have the painting bug these days, its a little frustrating).

Anyway... on to pictures.

I've been working on replacement sanguinary guard, nothing particularly fancy, but i want this unit to look like they'd fit with Dante, so going with landing type poses, also tried out Lamenters liquid blu stuff as a means to replicate the sanguinary priest shoulder pad (I dont want to think about how much i've spent on ordering multiple copies of that pad already...)
med_gallery_14877_7794_68078.jpg

I'll be adding another 10, and probably trimming off and sculpting hair for the chap at the front whom will be Seraphan, captain of the sanguinary guard - he is using astoraths jump pack.

I've also finished building and undercoated a few tanks:

med_gallery_14877_7794_9968.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_55775.jpg

This includes painting the interior of the spartan - i do need to go back and add weathering to it, which might have been easier before sticking it together :P

med_gallery_14877_7794_39698.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_167353.jpg

I've built a number of tactical marines -these are specifically with the intent of use in heresy games so i dont need to use later mks if i dont want to (and to allow me to replace special and heavy weapons in pre existing heavy weapon squads if desired)

med_gallery_14877_7794_284403.jpg

Also started on 3rd companies second devastator squad finally... this will be a lascannon squad - do i make the 4th heavy weapon another lascannon? or something else??

med_gallery_14877_7794_64459.jpg

And a random heavy flamer marine that is to replace the regular flamer marine in a tactical squad for when i want to run them as veteran tacticals in heresy (seeing a trend here?)
med_gallery_14877_7794_96596.jpg

I really like how his pose came out, slanted debris with plasticard floor panel worked pretty well I think..

first 5 breachers... hopefully the other 5 arrive monday, as i want to use these guys in a zone mortalis heresy game at WHW on the 18th of this month.

med_gallery_14877_7794_11830.jpg

anyway the above is all the 'generic' stuff i've been working on, to be fair i've also built another contemptor, a vanguard marine and rebased a few other bits too.

I've also been working on various characters (as always!)

new librarian, made from the overkill BR one.

med_gallery_14877_7794_271883.jpg

such a simple conversion and he looks pretty damn cool, he'll be seeing use in heresy shortly.

WIP jump pack librarian:

med_gallery_14877_7794_28204.jpg

still a lot more work to do on this one, including a bit more work on the tabbard I think, I really dont know what to do for head on him though.

I've also made my legion Praevian:

med_gallery_14877_7794_67758.jpg

I still want to add a bolt gun on strap over his shoulder though... but I rather like the pose - this guy is also HUGE.

Then there is my Praetor, I've started working on his base this evening, going with the steps idea still, once the stuff I've done already has dried I'll be filling gaps and adding an aquilla and maybe a few rivets to the steps. I've got to resculpt the Praetors left toe as well, because the solaq models pose is a bit different.

med_gallery_14877_7794_267464.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_14038.jpg

The head is the BA terminator Librarian head with skullcap filed away and hair added - i actually lost that BA mk4 head, and i've no idea where...

Then last but not least, Mephiston as he currently stands (still no paint).

med_gallery_14877_7794_192664.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_86311.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_279970.jpg

pretty happy with how he looks, although the sword looks a tad rougher than i'd hoped, overall happy with the end result, and the sword fits in well with the new librarian above.

Anyway, hope some of you like some of the stuff above at least :)

Just waiting for my copy of retribution, some breachers and destroyers, 5 more cataphractii as well as two castellax and some other bits and bobs to arrive now :D

Damn, you've been busy! For the sake of consistency go with a 4th lascannon. I'm really looking forward to seeing those Breachers painted. Not a fan of the Praetor head though. Make sure you find that Mk IV one quick! ;)

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated!

Damn, you've been busy! For the sake of consistency go with a 4th lascannon. I'm really looking forward to seeing those Breachers painted. Not a fan of the Praetor head though. Make sure you find that Mk IV one quick! ;)

Boo, I was really pleased with his head lol, I do prefer my characters helmless tbh...

Will however have a look again for the helm. I had planned to magnetise it originally afterall

Was the liquid blu stuff easy to use & do you like it?

To be honest I'm typically against casting of any kind, but I think when I sculpt some extra stuff like shoulder pads or perhaps even heads, I'd use it again.

It's super easy to use, just do a 50-50 mix of the two parts, pour over whatever you want to make a copy of, wait 20 mins, then cut open to take the original part out.

I used the miliput/greenstuff mix I usually use when making the pads as it's softer than pure greenstuff and dries harder.

I think it's not a good product for doing a cast of anything more complex than perhaps a shoulder pad or head without really careful planning.

• 5 weeks later...

very minor update, although i have been busy. I've gotten to actually use my Heresy Blood Angels in a few games now, very enjoyable.

outside of that, I've been attempting to get through all the marine bases and red left to do in the army.

as such i've got about 20 models left to upgrade to larger bases, all the rest (about 180 marines) have been upgraded to 32mm bases and have had all the base work done. And everything that is built and isnt in TDA is at least red. All non red helmets are now the appropriate colour (yellow, gold or blue) And i've been working on blocking out colours on my sanguinary priests

gallery_14877_7794_643408.jpg

and i decided to do something of a production line for all the bare heads in the army. Note that these are very early on and isnt quite 'all' the bare heads, a few are totally finished (tycho, dante, a few from a tactical squads) and a couple are attached to models so i didnt want to tackle them as part of this process.

I'm going through the steps from the eavy mdetal lorenzo tutorial for them, much like i did with Dante. It'll take a bit of time but will help bring the models to life a bit before everything else is done. They're at the base scorched brown wash stage now. Then i'm on to the actual fine brush work.

gallery_14877_7794_167157.jpg

Archived