Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

so after some thought, i'm going to combine this:

0efcb6048a0fa02be7ce9685bad4989c.jpg

with

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Thunderhawk-01-Black.jpg

for placement of blacks. however instead of a red stripe in the black stripe, i'll try for a gold filigree type thing along the lines of the heresy fire raptor art. I'll also try and fine some similar spots to apply additional gold detailing as well...

Great idea - sadly I can't do photo shop, so I can't be totally specific with my suggestions!

I think the gold will work really well, especially with the black stripe. The Raptor seems to to have the gold around doors and guns, so perhaps around the inset panel on the nose by the heavy bolter sponson; that inset could also be black.  I might also see how a gold filigree band/pattern along that long side panel above the engine/the one that has the sculpted aquila on.

okay, so black stripe has been started, i need to make it thicker on the top and then ensure it all joins up i think, but not too bad for my first ever attempt at masking tape on a miniature :)

med_gallery_14877_7794_280393.jpg

and for giggles, some shots that shows some of the interior I painted... right at the start of this thread! I'm currently redoing the pilots, totally replaced the one on the left (bald one) and the one on the right had new torso and legs.

med_gallery_14877_7794_467985.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_762325.jpg

I'm on it!

Not quite the right pattern maybe (too floral?) but I guess something along these lines?

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Thunderhawk-03-Black-Gold.jpg

And some other panels black with decorative gold borders like the Fire Raptor:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/BA3_zpspg0z3vdz.png

That will look awesome. I'm concerned if you do the gold on the flat red colour it may be a little lost. If you do it at the junction of a black and red area I think it will look ace. Keen to see what you can come up with. 

@ Luthermax, that is such a handy skill to have in this hobby, will have to try and acquire a basic level at some point. 

@ Luthermax, that is such a handy skill to have in this hobby, will have to try and acquire a basic level at some point.

To be honest this is the first time I've done anything like this hobby-related, but I'm a graphic designer by trade so use Photoshop a lot in general smile.png

I've brightened up the gold a bit for more contrast with the red. The red in the HH book pics is deeper / darker and the gold is quite pale so there is more contrast. I think it will be possible to get good contrast on your red though with the right gold.

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Thunderhawk-05-Black-Gold.jpg

To be honest this is the first time I've done anything like this hobby-related, but I'm a graphic designer by trade so use Photoshop a lot in general smile.png

I've brightened up the gold a bit for more contrast with the red. The red in the HH book pics is deeper / darker and the gold is quite pale so there is more contrast. I think it will be possible to get good contrast on your red though with the right gold.

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Thunderhawk-05-Black-Gold.jpg

Looks great :)

I'm going to get metal and black areas blocked in tonight hopefully, for the gold I'll need to look at the pile of gold paints I've got and decide which to use. I'm leaning towards using the same as I do on the marines - retributor gold washed with sepia and agrax then built up to liberator in layers.

I pondered the idea of transfers but a lot of spots they'd need to go on are not at all flat so that might be tricky.

Yeah I was thinking that when I opened the file again - on that front black stripe there are a lot of raised details the transfer would have to lay over - would be a bit of a nightmare!

Freehand it is then, certainly a challenge - good luck!!

Something simpler around the nose section and above the rear engine would probably look better anyway. More like the FW book artwork where it's a solid line with little kicks coming off it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Thunderhawk has had some progress made, but nothing exciting, waiting for new paints to arrive currently so no progress updates on that.

Also Gabriel my 11 week premature secondborn son came home last week so not had too much time for painting. But i did make a thing:

Captain Aphael - he just needs his left shoulder pad to arrive. (the head also isn't stuck down, as it'll be painted separately)

med_gallery_14877_7794_306261.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_319076.jpg

med_gallery_14877_7794_336469.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_256042.jpg

For reference, the hair style (and the model, although I did take some artistic license with stuff like the iron halo, sword style, pistol and right shoulder pad) is based on the art from Angels Blade, here is a close up of his face:

med_gallery_14877_7794_2223.jpg

Halo is from one of the two Web-exclusive Captains that GW added to orders over £100 when their new webstore opened a few years back, IIRC.

Nice work, Blindhamster. Where is the head from originally?

Actually no. The halo is from the standard mono pose captain.

I used the same one on tycho.

I did however use the one from the Web exclusive captain for my 30k praetor.

The head is the deathwatch blood angel head.

I've got a bunch of mk8 blood angels in the works too.

The Cape is from the forgeworld loken. I've got another one spare...

Shoulder pad arrived for Aphael, I removed the RS icon and then GS a flat plaque thing that will probably get a transfer.. probably:

med_gallery_14877_7794_180395.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_77412.jpg

So for build he just has a base remaining, i doubt i'll do anything else to him unless anyone has suggestions? Speaking of Suggestions, what should his command squad look like? I figure they'll be running too, I'll likely use vanguard vet legs, with some GS BA icons added.

also, I have been messing about with the deathwatch bits I have and started doing some mk8 BA to mix into existing units (and start another new tactical squad).

med_gallery_14877_7794_206892.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_143965.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_184489.jpg

The torso needs a bit of tidying on the one aiming his gun forward, the one with the BA symbol on his chest was an experiment with blu stuff, really good product for quick results (it'd take me forever to sculpt the wings in particular).

and the sergeant for a brand new tactical squad (because BA tactical squads are obviously so good...)

med_gallery_14877_7794_136633.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_50775.jpg

Archived