Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

So, as I got just two suggestions for the next marines, I decided I'd do them in the order received :P

Current progress on Veteran Brother Orsino of the 1st Company:

gallery_14877_7794_161508.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_63895.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_125592.jpg

Zuriel will be joining Veteran Brother Sergeant Dario and Veteran Brother Zuriel as part of Dante's strike force that are en route to back up Brother Captain Tycho's 3rd Company in thei campaign against the local Tau (housemate has a Tau army, more often than not he has been my opponent lately).

In other news, I also sprayed the remaining 10 assault marines with two coats of Mephiston red, as well as giving the two blood red tactical squads a coat of Mephiston Red too to darken them up to match. I need to perform the same process on the remaining 10 assault marines and then I'll be giving them coats of Carroburg Crimson. I also removed the frankly rubbish fincast Vanguard jump packs from the two members of Dante's Honour guard that had them and replaced them with two more of the forgeworld vanguard jump packs as they're lovely.

oooh and a Deimos pattern rhino arrived... with a dodgy side panel which is getting replaced, as well as a set of tartaros terminator bits, which will be providing lightning claws for the Vanguard marine that'll get em as well as a Power Maul for the 5th member of the Vanguard Squad - Veteran Brother Savio.

As a 'bonus' update, I've also undertaken the task of creating some night lord shoulder pads for a fellow frater here, Traitor scum, rather than my beloved sons of sanguinius, but here's the progress:

gallery_14877_7805_1565451.jpg

'can ya tell what it is yet?'

@ DarkAngelDelight: Firstly, love the name... possibly because I'm a huge fan of Angel Delight... Butterscotch flavour to be exact... and thankyou for the kind words :) Honestly most of the conversions I do are not too difficult, they just take a little planning and patience.

@ Nephren-ka: Glad you approve mate (even if you are traitor filth!!). I've some thoughts on how to go forward with the pads, which I'll outline in a PM once I'm done.

@ TattooedGreenMan: Cheers, it's always especially nice when one of my battle brothers has positive words. Concerning Corbs, I actually LOVE the standard model, I just wanted to use non standard, same as I have with my Tycho/Dante. I'm interested to see your Corbulo, perhaps start up your own blog on here? :D

@ Lorenzen: Cheers mate, I'm pretty happy with how the vets are coming out, my basic goal was: Make a squad of assault marines in poses as dynamic as the new chaos Raptors... then kill my friends Raptors once he has some :P. As for Brown stuff... actually it's green stuff, I just had an unfortunate accident with red paint that refused to totally wash off my hands :yes:

@ Gray Knights: Cheers mate!

Anyway, Update time!

Firstly we have a 'finished' Brother Orsino (which means Bear-like in italian apparently, figured it was apt for the Power Fist dude).

gallery_14877_7794_99278.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_27062.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_143415.jpg

Trouble with him is... I'm not sure he looks Veteran-y enough? I added little blood drops to his left knuckles, a blood drop pendant to his right leg and a blood drop to his chestplate... any suggestions? I want to avoid tabbards/the leather straps on the Vanguard, but was thinking maybe a laurel on his helmet?

Group shot of Veteran Sergeant Dario alongside Brothers Zuriel and Orsino:

gallery_14877_7794_45136.jpg

I also did a little something on one of the Thunderhawk Pilots:

gallery_14877_7794_187961.jpg

What do people think? I should note that for some reason, I couldn't get a non pink shot of the red, and it's gotten a bit washed out, I assume due to the lighting when I took the picture, theres a bit more contrast and it's definitely not pink.

and a little update on the Night Lord Pad:

gallery_14877_7794_141402.jpg

I decided that I hate sculpting the same thing two times in a row... getting the second wing to look remotely like the first was a B) but hopefully it meets with approval.

bangle symbols on the jump pack, purity seals to add some interest to the "empty" panels & more flow to his pose, laurel wreathed blood drop on his left knee & potentially alter the stud on his forehead to a blood drop.

imho.

sculpting symetrical stuff is horrible

laurel wreathed blood drop on his left knee & potentially alter the stud on his forehead to a blood drop.

^^ This, I dont think it would need much more to get the look youre going for. I love that pose btw. ;)

Good work on Brother Orsino, blindhamster, what about an Iron halo in the helmet ala Sanguinary guard mkVII helmet, i think those represent better the status of veteran mora than laurel in BAs, even it would be easier to convert the mkVII helmet to mkV, ive done various in my BA, also looking forward to brother Savio :D and the tartaros termis.

@ DarkAngelDelight: Firstly, love the name... possibly because I'm a huge fan of Angel Delight... Butterscotch flavour to be exact... and thankyou for the kind words :) Honestly most of the conversions I do are not too difficult, they just take a little planning and patience.

Thanks! Angel delight is the nuts, especially butterscotch. I never tried any other flavour to be honest lol but i'll stop ranting before i waste up space on your thread with angel delight dreams... :P

As for the conversions, they are just so full of character so hopefully as i said i can at least try to emulate some characterful poses. I thought you just made the name up, but its good to see it means something. Bear-like fits in too, the armour and power fist seem to add to his charater also.

your sculpting is a treat too, can't wait to see more

Hi all,

sorry for the lack of updates!

@ Lorenzen: Cheers, I went with a blood drop on his head and a laurel without blood drop on knee in the end, I may still add blood angel chapter symbol to one side of the jump pack and a shield design (like the forgeworld vanguard culln has) to the other.

@ Hellchyld: Thanks mate, hopefully you'll approve of the update below.

@ Midnight Runner: Glad to hear it, the important part about this squad is they needed to have the right look to them for vanguard! Also... loving the Flesh Eaters, some epic poses in there

@ darkwrath: Nice one Captain, I felt the need to work on the army some! Progress, even if slow, is still progress! Now hurry up and show me some Flesh Tearers! We can tag team our ancient nemises next time he's in our neck of the woods then :)

@ Gray Knights: Thankyou brother!

@ alejandrinus: Yeah I'd actually considered adding an Iron Halo, they're kind of cool, but I will leave that for one of the mk4 marines and one of the mk7 marines, don't want too many of them, though I actually plan to use a few in the next squad (sternguard) too.

@ DarkAngelDelight: Ah yes, a lover of Butterscotch Angel Delight is always good in my book. Thanks for the kind words and let me know when you've got some stuff up and I'll take a look ;)

onto the (small) updates:

Firstly a (probably) finished Orsino, as noted I may add a detail or two to the jump pack, undecided for now.

gallery_14877_7794_529597.jpg

Next I move onto a marine that has caused me no end of trouble... Veteran Brother Remo (means swift) I say he's caused me no end of trouble for one very simple reason... I've remade the legs a total of 5 times, I believe I'm happy with them this time around... need to sculpt the left knee pad, fill a gap or two on the left knee, add the left foot and add some detail to one or both knees + add left arm and pouches. He's getting a company Champion shoulder pad with a rim sculpted onto it for the right shoulder and a more standard pad for the left arm, probably going to add a laurel to that one, he'll also have one of the forgeworld vanguard jump packs.

gallery_14877_7794_574090.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_420119.jpg

I've also started work on Veteran Brother Savio, whom will be the requested second mk2 marine, carrying a Power Maul. Currently he's at the point where I have a pair of mk2 feet a mk2 pelvis and a pair of mk2 lower legs.... upper legs will have to be sculpted much like Veteran Brother Zuriels....

Other news, I have given 20 tactical marines and 10 assault marines the coating of Mephiston red, that leaves 20 more tactical marines and 10 more assault marines to give the same treatment too... plus possibly the mostly painted squad as they're going to look horribly out of place otherwise. I've also given the oldest of my squads (and hence the least tidy in terms of sculpting...) a coat of Carroburg Crimson as initial shading - these can be seen in the background of the above images... along with the WIP thunderhawk. The replacement upper sections of which should arrive tomorrow :) I still need to finish the Harnesses however.

and on a Traitor update... the near enough finished Tactical Pad:

gallery_14877_7794_2722.jpg

I noticed that the little arrowy shape below the skull is slightly off center, I'll fix that. I also need to add a little triangle to the right corner of the shoulder pad rim. I also learned that I hate sculpting Skulls, we'll see what Hellchyld thinks, and I may have to resculpt it.

Archived