Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

@ Midnight Runner: Glad to hear it, the important part about this squad is they needed to have the right look to them for vanguard! Also... loving the Flesh Eaters, some epic poses in there

Hey thanks man, but they have nothing on these guys, mine tend to be just kit-bashes but I am getting braver with repositioning thanks to logs like this. You manage to get them so fluid; and with paint on it is hard to tell what is converted and what is not which is always win for converting. I second the request for the girders, I do hope you can buy them and you did't scratch build them!

@ Rhetoricus: Daw thanks mate :D, I actually noticed a little oddity in the picture that resulted in said oddity being fixed on the miniature (odd shape around left foot)

@ Biohazard: Thanks, Remo is now pretty much finished, will post a pic of him later today.

@ reckoning34: Yes... paint :D I did start painting the first tactical squad I'd made (they got made around 3 years ago :/) and in doing so found just how bad my reposing was on my very first attempts. couple that with it being one of the squads that was completely butchered by a bad batch of Army painter dragon red made m make the decision to keep just the sergeant and 3 other marines... I'm in the process of remaking the other 6 currently, but an actually not reposing 4 of them thanks to a few sets of forgeworld legs, so they'll be back up to full strength in a day or so. Paint will come, I promise.

@ HellChyld: Well, I centered the little triangle thing, it looks better for it. I'm going to have a pop at greenstuff molding my own design and applying it to a terminator pad, I can then go about tweaking it as needed.

@ Darth Potato: Thanks man, it used to take a lot lot longer to make them than it does now, just practice I guess. I too am looking forward to having paint on them but I'm finding that painting is something I get frustrated with more than sculpting (unless it's looking at older miniatures)... I had a look at the black reach commander boltgun arm, and I'm suitably impressed with how clean your conversion that used it was.... it looks like a :( to do.

@ DarkAngelDelight/Lorenzen: Actually, in my case the Girders were scratch made, I had no idea there was anywhere local I could source em from... so I just used some of the vast quantities of plasticard I always have.

@ Midnight Runner: Well, either way, your marines look great IMO, and the fact they're painted nicely is just another bonus for you ;) Thanks for the kind words though, very much appreciated.

As noted, Blood Angels 3rd Companies Tactical Squad has sustained heavy casualties and are currently awaiting reinforcements, Sergeant Gideon, veteran of many battles against the Tau has survived, as did three of his battle brothers (mk5, mk6 and mk4 melta gunner). Reinforcements will be a mk4 marine to replace a dead mk4 marine, a mk3 marine (they're cool and I've not used enough in my army yet!) a mk6 marine who will be kneeling with a scoped bolter. and three mk7 marines one of whom will be a deathwatch veteran.

In other news, the Upper section for the Thunderhawk didn't arrive yesterday as UPS suck, but hopefully will arrive monday.

I've also got a game against Grey Knights later, 1750 points, I'm undecided on running a Dante list of the giggles, or running the portion of third company that I've got built.

The girders are plasticcard H beams most places that sell railway stuff usually sell them (for the birmingham based like me & blind places likemodelzone, bobs models & ian allens)

Cool, i'll remember that when i pop into my local Modelzone. might have to buy a load of them! :D

@ DarkAngelDelight/Lorenzen: Actually, in my case the Girders were scratch made, I had no idea there was anywhere local I could source em from... so I just used some of the vast quantities of plasticard I always have.

Fair enough making your own, i have a modelzone nearby so i might have to take Lorenzen's advice and pop in there :(

Heya folks, there will indeed be updates, I've just had a lot on with Uni lately, coupled with a pretty busy software development job as well... and I might POSSIBLY have played through XCom on classic and played again on Ironman... but I simply cannot confirm that ;)

Actual progress in the army has therefore basically been non existent the past two weeks, 4 vet assault marines are completed, 1 has legs in bits, waiting to be stuck together.

8 of Sergeant Gideons re-worked tactical squad are built, 2 need legs cut up which I've not had time to do yet.

The Thunderhawk has been a pain in the rear end due to general dodgyness of the cast coupled with a blunder or two here and there. Still it's nearly built to the point I can simply take bits on and off.

I'll be away for the weekend as its the wifes birthday weekend stuff, but I do aim to have some new pictures up next week :o

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Reviving this as I've joined in a Tale of Painters type thing over at:

https://www.facebook.com/thegoldfishofjustice?fref=ts

Basic premise is to paint up 250 points a month, then in September have a game with fully painted armies, for anyone that knows me... that is an extreme novelty!

So for my first month, my pledge is a tactical squad and a bare bones sanguinary priest.

Here's a pic of the squad as they stand as of this second:

gallery_14877_7794_379671.jpg

As an addition to this monthly Challenge, Lorenzen decided it'd be fun to have a Sergeant Challenge yesterday, we have to finish our sergeants before the end of the weekend. Mine was at a state of flat red prior to the challenge and I've spent a bit of time working on him since then.... In fact, I have painted three different heads for him (each with sculpted hair, one even had sculpted ears) but didn't like the first two, finally settled on the one you see in the next pic:

gallery_14877_7794_57221.jpg

He's far from finished still... I need to finish the gold and silver areas, highlight the black, paint a couple more of the gems, finish the purity seals and then weather him!

For anyone that's wondering, I put the thunderhawk on hold as it STILL wouldn't fit together, but when we started this challenge, I also set myself a bonus objective of finishing the Thunderhawk, with that in mind, the interior is about 50% done, I got it fitting together (mostly) and it is now stuck together (mostly). I'll post pics of that sooner rather than later.

I also built the 5th member of the Vanguard squad from this thread a couple of weeks back.

Other than that, from the 50 tactical marines I'd previously built, I destroyed 14 of them (due to no longer being happy with the quality of my sculpting on those older ones) and have been slowly replacing them. I've also built some heresy style sanguinary guard.

I'll get more pics soon when Lorenzen shows me how to take decent pics smile.png

I have always been jealous on how well you can sculpt hair. It gives each of your unhelmed Marines a very unique appearance. Would a tutorial be out of the question?

Other than that, from the 50 tactical marines I'd previously built, I destroyed 14 of them (due to no longer being happy with the quality of my sculpting on those older ones) and have been slowly replacing them. I've also built some heresy style sanguinary guard.

Wow, this sounds exactly like me. I feel your pain. Getting to the point where you've constructed something your semi-pleased with, then sitting on it and deciding to demo it is like my main modeling flaw. Very inconvenient at times. 

Keep at it dude! You do quality work and I can see the blood, sweat and tears you put into your efforts. And I agree with Heathens on the hair tutorial. :)

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

I'll have a think on what to do about a hair tutorial, maybe give some suggestions on particular hair styles? I personally dislike sculpting long hair, because I kind of suck at it (only minis I've done it for and been happy with are my Dante and an almost scratch sculpted elf I did for D&D recently). Honestly off the top of my head, I kind of just make a shape then hack away at it till I'm happy, thinking about where the crown on the mini is and drawing all my lines from there. Hopefully once I know the sort of styles people might like, I'll be able to actually demonstrate with pics, as words are probably going to fail me here! :)

Anyway, minor update on the Sergeant (whom I need to finish before tomorrow as I'm running a 12 hour D&D session tomorrow lol).

gallery_14877_7794_175816.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_246553.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_145427.jpg

I touched up the face a little as I said I would, same for a few of the highlights on the armour, the gold is now 'done' (I might give some areas a purple wash). The silver is barely started but I'll probably keep those areas simple, most of the black isn't highlighted, purity seals need a highlight then text added, the seals themselves will be scab red in colour, so darker than the armour but still red (same as space hulk) the Blood drop on his belt is squad marking (these will be 4th squad I've decided now) the white one on his right pad is due to being third company, the rest of the gems on them will be purple (hence me thinking I'll add purple to the gold) Still need to weather the entire mini in some manner.

also the dodgy left foot, I might fix, this was one of the old minis I did (minus the sheathed sword and his head) so the sculpting quality is a bit lacking compared to my neater more recent ones.

So, I missed the deadline, my bad *sheepish grin* In my defense... I DID run a 12 hour D&D session on sunday so lost the day, with that in mind, I feel that I hit my own personal deadline (of about 4-5 days to finish the mini).

Of course, I do use the term 'finish' relatively loosely, Sergeant Kano is complete for the time being, however once I've determined how exactly I'm going to do the weathering on my angels, I'll be returning to him to apply weathering in the form of chipped paint and then weathering powders. He also needs the chapter icon added to his left shoulderpad, but lorenzen is going to help me with that smile.png

Other than that, I am pondering adding a brighter highlight on the silver areas (bringing it all the way to runefang) and a brighter highlight on the face also (pale flesh from Vallejo). Thoughts?

pics:

gallery_14877_7794_21105.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_75061.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_182297.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_256607.jpg

*doh* realise I also need to highlight the ribing on the legs...

Other than Kano, I made a little progress on the Tacticals, I plan to get a coat of red onto the black ones tomorrow and possibly get the shading done too:

gallery_14877_7794_138525.jpg

Then for the final update in this post, some of you may remember I was working on a Thunderhawk, as part of this challenge I also opted to get off my rear end and maybe finish it, to that end, I painted the interior last week after spending a whole lot of extra time trying to get it to fit as well as possible, I've also finished the pilots (minus edge highlights in brown rose) and even undercoated the main chassis - you'll note some bits are missing, thats because I'll stick those on one it's painted.

pics:

gallery_14877_7794_100877.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_191639.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_269659.jpg

Cheers for the kind words guys smile.png

cant wait to see the thunderhawk fully complete gonna be awesome! Kano is looking ace too, most of the green work is barely identifiable and as hes somewhat old i cant wait to see what you can knock out over the coming months :D

That Tactical squad is beautiful. The converted poses, subtle true(er)-scaling, and greenstuff work is what I aspire to emulate as a modeler. 

Not to mention the excellent painting. How do you get that red for the armor? 

drive-by update:

gallery_14877_7794_154638.jpg

Pic is a little blurry, they are actually the same colour but the light has had an amusing effect of making the middle ones look significantly brighter lol.

They've currently been sprayed red (including priest) and given washes of biel tan green and riekland fleshshade (in recesses, but a bit messy... need to get better at that bit), plasma gunners arms have been removed so i can get at the details on his chest (they're resting in place in the pic)

I also sprayed assault marines so they match the new red (blood red is FAR more orange than mephiston red) and also resprayed the drop pod.

Plan to start touching up the red on the tacticals again today, then finish that and do the black tomorrow.

The red is really basic, took some advice from DemonPrinceDargor on the choice in colours for shading.

Black Spray

Mephiston red Spray

Biel Tan Green wash in recesses

Riekland Fleshshade wash in recesses

touch up with mephiston (thin coats)

highlight with 50:50 mephiston and evil sunz

highlight with evil sunz

highlight with 50:50 evil sunz and vallejo brown rose

fine highlights in some places wiht pure vallejo brown rose.

Thanks for the kind words all :)

p.s. Darth Potato... your marines are awe inspiring honestly, easily at least as good as mine.

p.p.s. no updates on the thunderhawk for the moment

Archived