Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

I love this.  Was contemplating something similar myself as the old Mephiston is looking a bit static and dated now - although I have nowhere near your talent!!

That said thougn, he still looks a bit John Wayne with the pose.  He either needs the body widening (tricky, if not impossible), or the crotch narrowing a bit to my eye.

Cheers guys! :),

Pyschopath, means a lot, I've followed your Iron warriors for years!

Tarvik, I actually have some deathcompany, however they're rather boring as I didnt do any reposing or sculpting on any of them, a few have pretty cool poses from stock parts, but thats about it.

Anyway, for tonights progress, I've sculpted the skirt. Please note that this progress is pretty small and very rough, it's done the same way as the cloaks on my sternguard, using a mix of milliput and green stuff, so I'll be carving into it and sanding it once it's cured, it's not even begun to dry in the following pictures and I'll probably spend some more time on it. But for reference, I've been working on it for about an hour, I let it cure a bit once rough shapes are done, then go at it again, then repeat.

Now onto pictures:

med_gallery_14877_7794_101013.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_63005.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_152828.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_95199.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_145783.jpg

cheers :)

I'm foaming at the mouth, Hamster. I can't wait to see this bad boy done. He's so menacing with an absolute air of authority. He looks like he won't take nonsense from anyone.

Pretty much this.

-Tarvik

Cheers guys! smile.png,

Pyschopath, means a lot, I've followed your Iron warriors for years!

Mephiston conversion remind me of Lord Bolton from Game of Thrones. Really like the conversion & green stuff work been brilliant :D

Cheers guys, your continued support is great for the motivation!

Here he is with some tidying done to the robes whilst it was still wet (but after I took the last pics) It still needs to be washed and smoothed out. I've added arms to give an idea of the pose I'm going to go with. The arms will get quite a bit of resculpting.

med_gallery_14877_7794_124025.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_172909.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_192486.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_74678.jpg

daemonclaw, very high praise coming from you! thanks! smile.png

haha, noctis, I considered trying to do a bit of commission stuff a while back. but I'm just too slow and probably not on a commission sculptor level.

yeah the addition of milliput to greenstuff means it can be sanded and cut into very easily, it also dries pretty rigid, which is obviously perfect for robes and stuff, it was Lorenzen that opened my eyes to the concept though!

I actually got a spot of feedback from darkwrath on facebook that his hips were a bit wide looking with the addition of the skirt, I've hacked a fair portion of the milliput off of each side and resculpted the folds, looks a bit better now, will have pics later on. currently sorting out the arms and pinning parts for them, then I get the fun of working out how on earth I'm going to do the coat!, query for people:

the classic has skulls along the rim of the cloak, which is kind of ridiculous if you think about how thick the material is portrayed as being, with that in mind, I'm thinking about having them along the sides of the coat instead... thoughts?

Skull clasps.

Watching this conversion has made me look at the Astorath mini and wonder what I might me able to do with him. And then I realized not a whole lot compared to this beauty. Thanks for shattering that briefest of dreams...

Looking awesome! I agree the cloak makes the hips a bit wide-looking, would be good to trim them down if possible, unless it will be hidden by a cloak or coat?

For the sword, how about the Dark Angels Ravenwing power sword?

http://megabitzshop.com/bilder/produkte/gross/Warhammer-40K-Bitz-Dark-Angels-Ravenwing-Power-Sword-B.jpg

Hey Guys,

promised an update, so here it is smile.png

Currently the coat is very, very WIP, as is the hood, but I needed to get most of the shapes down so I knew what was going on, I still need to add the piping from the sides and front of the hood, but will wait to do the ones on the side till after both arms are on (they need to rest on the shoulder pads) the coat will be getting sine detailing, suggestions have been the skull buttons obviously, but I've not made it look like it could be fastened up, and to do so would obscure the chest detail a bit too much. Hood also need to be made a bit thicker, and brought a bit more forward on the left hand side (his left) then all the rivets and skull details to add too. I need to work out a plan for the wires to his head as well, which will be fun!

Currently neither the head or arm are actually attached, the arm hasn't been started yet.

med_gallery_14877_7794_61418.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_37485.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_61992.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_16621.jpg

Thinned down hips prior to adding coat:

med_gallery_14877_7794_514.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_34735.jpg

I ordered a random set of blood letter swords in the hope that the one I wanted is amongst them, failing that though, you may be onto something with the ravenwing sword! I've also had a go at casting my metal mephiston sword blade, will see how thinning it down pans out...

I don't know what it is, but with the new hairdo on the mephiston I'm getting a very Bill Nighy/ Underworld's "Victor" vibe off of Mephiston.  Not that there is anything wrong with that mind you.

Good luck with the sword! Great work as always! 

Archived