1750pt Battle Report, Practice-NOVA Mission

CitadelArmyGuy

I’m posting up this Battle Report per request to tie back into a thread discussing utilization of the OODA loop to make deliberate and focused decisions. If you have comments for the Battle itself, reply at bottom. But if you’d like to discuss the OODA loop process and further in-depth discussion, please navigate to here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=262061

Reader warning up-front: This is going to be an ultra-long battle report, extremely in-depth at the most basic level. I will be discussing my OODA loop on all nearly all the decisions I make. It will take a lot of words to describe things which only take a mere moment of thought, hence the length of this post.

However, I will not even attempt to interpret why my opponent did anything. We had a fun time with banter and small talk, but we did not talk about the game or what either of us were thinking (he had a touch of the poker-face to prep for his tournament). So I will cover all his actions but will not even hazard a guess as to his own OODA loop.

This game was played back in mid-August (NB-- This means the BRB and Codex 1.1 FAQs were not out yet- this will matter) and my opponent was practicing for the upcoming NOVA Open so we used their mission primer: Mission Goals: Tiers--- During each round of the tournament, the following Goals will be set as Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary. If you win the Primary, you win the Round. If you tie the Primary, determine winner via the Secondary, and so on toward the Tertiary. If you tie all three goals, use the Tiebreaker.

Goal One: Collecting the Loot / Objective Markers

There are FIVE Objectives on the table. One is placed in the center of each Table Quarter, and one is placed in the board center. These are controlled with Scoring Units, contested with Denial Units.

Goal Two: Control the Field / Table Quarters

Each of the playing surface’s 4 Table Quarters can be captured. They are captured by a Points pre-ponderance. ONLY Scoring and Denial Units count for Points in this fashion.

Goal Three: Eliminate the Enemy / Modified Kill Points

Every enemy unit completely destroyed awards 1 Kill Point. In order to win this goal, you must score 3 more Kill Points than your opponent.

For our game Goal 3 was Primary, Goal 2 was Secondary, and Goal 1 was Tertiary. Basically a Kill Point game but no First Blood/Linebreaker/Kill Warlord and had to win KPs by 3 (otherwise down the Tiers for tiebreak)

My list was designed to be a fun friendly list, so I figured I was in for a tough fight since I’d be facing a potential Tournament List. I like this list since it’s basically “one of everything, no duplicates.” Please understand this is not a typical list I play! I would never take this thing to a Tournament. I threw it together because I wanted a list that had as many ‘Blood Angel-only’ Units as possible. Yes it is missing Sanguinary Guard, but other than that I like it.

Blood Angels 1750pts---

Librarian: Axe, Jump Pack (rolled Prescience & Misfortune)

Sanguinary Priest: Axe, Jump Pack

Furioso Dread: Talons, MG

10 Assault Marines: 2x MG, Axe

10 Scouts: Sniper Rifles

10 Death Company: on Foot, 2x PF

Baal Pred: HBs

3 Attack Bikes: 3x MM

5 Vanguard Vets: No gear (‘Free’ Sword)

Pred: AC/LCs

Stormraven: TLLC, TLMM

My opponent’s list was Space Wolves 1750pts---

Lord w/Thunderwolf Mount: Saga of Bear, PF, SS, Runic Armor, Talisman, Necklace

Lord w/Thunderwolf Mount: Saga of Majesty, Frost Blade, SS, Runic Armor, Talisman

3 Thunderwolf Cavalry: 1x PF, 3x SS

8 Grey Hunters: Rhino, Banner, MG, PF

6 Long Fangs: 5x Missile Launcher

6 Long Fangs: 5x Missile Launcher

Aegis Defense Line: Quadgun

OBSERVE (List Matchup):

As soon as I see his list, I begin my Observation- I need to examine the dominant pattern of his selections which I can interpret as what “Type of List” he is running. I see his list is defined by the Wolf Cavalry; I ballpark-estimate nearly half his points are in those 5 models (I learn later they were 785pts altogether). I have no Strength10, so that is raw 12 wounds at T5 with 2+/3++ saves required to kill them, and they are fast and dangerous to the last model—one of the penultimate Shock Units. For the rest of the list, I observe he can have decent backfield and midfield ability (Note: determining where on the table the opposing list plays strongest is an important Observation). This brings me to the conclusion that he is running a Single-Shock List (as opposed to a Double-Shock List which will have less support but two Shock Units). Note that experience is the only way I can easily classify his list—every player will have their own personal ‘Library’ of how they classify lists (the Internet has many ideas on this as well). The more you play and the more exposure you have to widely different builds, the more you will be able to correctly Observe how your opponent played his metagame of list selection. Note that I do not begin my Orientation phase yet until I observe his deployment- the more information before you begin judgment, the better.

The table-terrain was predetermined as per the NOVA Mission Primer:

gallery_27375_7797_13242.png

OBSERVE (Terrain):

Since the terrain is symmetric and predetermined, there are no Decisions or Actions involved with terrain. I do Observe that the large ruins in the center are two floors tall, and the bottom has very few windows and hence blocks Line of Sight. The Realm of Battle gameboard elevations meant the clear hills are less meaningful since a model in the corners will see right over them (‘Hill’ meaning Styrofoam 3” flat plateaus).

Deployment was the NOVA modified-Hammer and Anvil (where you only have 36” rather than the full backedge) and there was no Night-fight. This game was more than 6 weeks ago, but I know that the Warlord abilities did not play a factor (even with the NOVA rules to roll once on two tables to pick one). He won the roll-off and decided to go first, deploying as seen below.

Space Wolf Deployment:

gallery_27375_7797_11578.png

With the Space Wolves deployed, I have a flood of new information to Observe. Also, now that my first decisions (my deployment) are required, it’s time to Orient, Decide and Act as well. Note that if I had gone first, I would have MUCH less information to work with. Sometimes when you face a list that you don’t ‘understand’ (meaning haven’t played versus that build-type before or you aren’t sure how it functions on the tabletop) it may be greatly beneficial to go second.

OBSERVE:

He placed his WolfCav center-oriented on my deployment zone. He did not choose as far forward or as far back possible. His left flank is slightly stronger. He can advance down either flank. He has nothing in Reserve. I have 10” depth in my deployment zone outside his 48” weapons’ range. He has low anti-air ability (remember, 6th Edition was only 6 weeks old at this time, the meta was still figuring flyers out).

ORIENT:

I cannot easily predict if he will advance or castle. Everything is within mutually supporting distance. He won’t lose any units to a fallback move. If he castles and I don’t advance, my shooting may earn 3 Killpoints maximum (My AC/LC Pred and Raven can shoot the Rhinos). If he castles and I castle, he can only earn 2 Killpoints (Long Fangs shoot AC/LC Pred and Raven after they try for Rhinos) Travel distance to his lines is 36” and I cannot out-assault him if I do. If he castles and I advance, I will be defeated in detail. If he advances and I castle, neither of us will win by 3+ KP, neither of us will win Table Quarters; He will win the game by the center objective. If we both advance, the game is ripe for win by either side (favored towards SW for midfield fight). My single best asset is my Stormraven. My Vanguards will not do well if he castles.

DECIDE:

I must deploy weakly to encourage him to advance, perhaps even make him suspect I am castling. I must disguise any appearance of strength to encourage his confidence. Since midfield fight slightly favors SW, I must draw him into my lines. My ‘Turn 0’ strategy to win will be to attempt stringing the opponent out of mutually supporting distances. For my strategy to work, my tactics must directly address the WolfCav.

ACT (BA Deployment):

I load the DC and the Furioso into the Raven. I reserve the Vanguards for Deepstrike. I do not combat squad anything to minimize Kill Points. I deploy all units outside 48” weapons’ range. I deploy my predators and attack bikes to achieve shooting at the WolfCav ASAP along the route I predict them to advance (ie the shortest distance to my deployment zone). I deploy my Assault Marines centrally for advance to the 2-level Ruins which deny Line of Sight (hence provide safe approach). This encourages his advance to also secure the center obj, rather than if I place the RAS to hold my right flank objective. I infiltrate my Scouts onto the objective on my left flank outside my deployment zone.

gallery_27375_7797_12628.png

Deployment Situation: No Kill Points; 2 BA Quarters / 2 SW Quarters; 1 BA Obj / 0 SW Obj (but can get 2 quite easily)

Space Wolves Turn 1:

WolfCav move 12” then run 5” (Fleet- he rolled a 2” originally). The Rhinos shuffle to the defense line, but retain cover. The only shooting was Long Fangs ranged my Scouts and only killed one (I went to ground since I would not need them next turn).

gallery_27375_7797_30445.png

OBSERVE:

The WolfCav have advanced, can occupy the center objective, and put tons of points in any quarter. The rest of his forces have not committed. Castling is still an option for him.

ORIENT:

The WolfCav are one turn away from a supremely flexible location. If the WolfCav have sufficient incentive, they will not occupy center because Killpoints is Primary Objective. The WolfCav is worth 3 Killpoints, but can easily destroy 4 or more Killpoints. My AC/LC Pred cannot easily shoot at Rhinos without getting into range of Long Fangs.

DECIDE:

I select to use Ambush on the WolfCav. The tactic will take at least three turns to execute- First the bait, then the retrograde (Raven should arrive), then the hammer (Raven disembarks DC into the WolfCav). If Raven is late, I will be in trouble. Therefore I need to soften the WolfCav with shooting as primary Target Priority-> if shooting softens them up enough, the Assault Marines may be able to take them one-on-one (unlikely but possible, in case the Raven is late).

ACT (BA Turn 1):

Attack Bikes and both Preds move into firing range of the WolfCav. The Assault Marines move into the lee of the ruins (safe from any Long Fangs shooting). I select the Attack Bikes as bait, with Assault Marines also advancing nearby for further enticement and convince him I’m committing to a general advance. 22” means the WolfCav (with Fleet) can absolutely make that 10” charge but it is still unlikely. Tempting but not thrown away. If the WolfCav make it, then I’ll be in trouble but at least they will be in the Ambush. I cast Misfortune but the Two Talismans and innate Deny the Witch do stack (pre-FAQ) so he blocks it. My shooting does a sum total of 1 wound on the WolfCav.

gallery_27375_7797_30450.png

Turn 1 Situation: No Killpoints; 2 BA Quarters / 2 SW Quarters; 1 BA Objective / 0 SW Obj

Space Wolves Turn 2:

The WolfCav move 12” towards the attack bikes; the Rhinos break cover 12” forward and then pop smoke. Shooting from All Long Fangs and Quadgun takes 2 hullpoints from my Baal and deals 1 wound to an Attack Bike. The WolfCav need 10” charge but fail even with Fleet.

gallery_27375_7797_6838.png

OBSERVE:The WolfCav is bearing down, almost fully committed but still may choose to redirect centrally. Rhinos in the open can potentially deliver easy KP.

ORIENT:

The Rhinos moving into the open means castling is far less likely as my opponent’s chosen strategy. The WolfCav will not redirect so long as targets remain in range. My Assault Marines with Priest and Librarian is a very fragile 3 KPs that the WolfCav would love to claim. I feel those 3 KPs vulnerability very acutely, but makes them ultimate bait. I can shoot at Rhinos to attempt gaining those KP but the pressing WolfCav took no damage and still requires softening.

ORIENT PART 2: I roll my reserves and the Vanguards arrive but the Raven does not. This means the ambush for the WolfCav will require at least 2 more turns. I can continue to retrograde but will still get caught. If I assault the WolfCav now, I will lose 3 KP before the DC arrive-> then DC kill WolfCav-> then the Grey Hunters will charge in to kill the DC= tradeoff of 4KP to 3KP. If the Raven does not show up again, I will lose this match. If I continue to retrograde, I can gain one more turn before the WolfCav charges something. For the Vanguards, they will surrender a killpoint but I can take the quadgun out of firing when the Raven does arrive. If the Vanguards attack Long Fangs, they may also cause diversion of a Rhino with Hunters to come deal with them (aiding in separation of forces, my original strategy).

DECIDE:

The Ambush is still in effect- I decide to retrograde but will leave the Baal in place as diversion (bait) to protect my Assault Marines. The Vanguards will charge the Quadgun-Long Fangs to cause diversion. I accept they will die and inflict a 1 KP deficit.

ACT (BA Turn 2):

The Librarian attempts to cast Misfortune on the WolfCav, but they block it again. The Assault Marines, AC/LC Pred and Attack Bikes retrograde max distance. This leaves the Attack Bikes 22” from the WolfCav, and the Baal is even closer to the Cav than that. My combined shooting deals 3 wounds to the WolfCav this time, but Pre-FAQ Look Out Sir! shenanigans means no models are dead yet. 4 wounds are dealt, 8 remain. The Vanguards deepstrike safely scattering 1”, then the Quadgun kills one with Interceptor. Their assault distance is successful, but Overwatch Krak Missiles nearly killed another one (Rolled a 1 to-wound). In melee, I lose 1 and kill 3 Long Fangs, they pass morale.

gallery_27375_7797_1893.png

Turn 2 Situation: No Killpoints; 1 BA Quarter / 3 SW Quarters; 1 BA Obj / 0 SW Obj

Space Wolves Turn 3

The WolfCav move 12” directly towards the Bikes, leaving them 10” away again. All Rhinos move 12” then Flat Out 6” towards me. His Longs Fangs knock the last Hullpoint off the Baal Pred to kill it-> I did not expect that, I thought the Cav would charge the Baal, and the Long Fangs would charge the Vanguards fighting the other Long Fangs to preserve a KP and earn a KP in the process. [Note- Players forget that Long Fangs can charge- Never discount unorthodox charges]. The WolfCav fail their 10” charge again. In melee, both the Vanguards and Long Fangs flub everything.

gallery_27375_7797_19894.png

OBSERVE:

The flat-out Rhinos was unexpected, I can only conjecture my appearance of weakness paid off. A midfield game just became a fight in my backfield. If I choose incorrectly this turn, I will lose this game waiting for Raven’s contents to be able to assault. If the Raven does not show at all, I will certainly lose.

ORIENT:

My Stormraven and its contents represent 675 of my points still waiting to spring ambush. The Scouts will die to the Grey Hunters on my left flank, so I anticipate a future lost KP there. I cannot escape the WolfCav another turn, I’ve run out of boardroom. My Assault Marines are still vulnerable, with 3 KPs from the attached ICs. Charging the WolfCav myself is still not an option, shooting has not softened them up enough.

ORIENT PART2: I roll reserves and the Stormraven arrives and so I am still in this game with great chance to win. The Raven must arrive where the DC can unload on Turn 4 and still attack a target-> if I arrive to my left-flank of the WolfCav, they may simply run away so that the DC cannot charge them. If I arrive to my right-flank of the WolfCav, then I can explode a Rhino and still have Targets to charge even if the WolfCav move away. If I leave incentive-bait, I can ‘convince’ the WolfCav to stay in the area.

DECIDE:

The Attack Bikes will provide dual-function as Ambush-bait and a Screen to protect my Assault squad. (HINDSIGHT: This was the incorrect decision—the AC/LC Pred should have moved and flat-out to function as screen. The Bikes count for holding quarters, and are denial for objectives-> The Pred does neither). The Raven will move to set up next-turn disembark charges – the Furioso Dread will aim for Grey Hunters, the DC will aim for the WolfCav if they remain close.

ACT (BA Turn 3):

The Librarian casts Prescience on the Attack Bikes (Misfortune getting blocked twice discouraged me from continuing to attempt making it through stackable Talismans and DtW). The Assault Marines retrograde for the final time, literally with their backs to the wall-> they do not move towards the Scouts because I do not want the WolfCav to run away from the Raven. The Attack Bikes form a screen to prevent the WolfCav from reaching the Assault squad. The AC/LC moves 12” to escape assault-> it can shoot over the hill due to the elevated corner of the Realm of Battle. The Raven absolutely must break at least one Rhino open and so I do not use Power of the Machine Spirit to shoot both Rhinos-> it pops the chosen one, and the Grey Hunters disembark into the forest. Other shooting at the WolfCav only deals two wounds, but the first model finally dies (6 wounds dealt, 6 left). In melee, the Vanguards kill one Long Fang and take no wounds (pass morale).

gallery_27375_7797_33692.png

Turn 3 Situation: 1 BA KP / 1 SW KP; 1 BA Quarter / 3 SW Quarters; 1 BA Obj / 0 SW Obj

Space Wolves Turn 4:

Rhino on my left flank moves 6”, Grey Hunters disembark 6” and rapidfire the scouts for 5 dead (they pass morale). The WolfCav moves 1” from the Attack Bikes, charge and slay them. Rhino behind the dead Rhino maneuvers around for a meltagun shot from its hatch which misses. The Long Fangs open up with 5 Krak Missiles, one hits and glances a hullpoint from the Raven. In melee, the Vanguard kill one and lose one versus the Long Fangs.

gallery_27375_7797_450.png

OBSERVE:

The WolfCav is perfectly positioned for a combination charge by both the DC and the Assault Marines. The Raven can move 6” and unload the Furioso to easily charge the Grey Hunters in the Forest. The Scouts won’t escape as predicted.

ORIENT:

I predict this game is now mine for the winning. The Vanguards may die and the Scouts may die, but I will kill 4 KP this round with ability to bag one more Rhino leading to 6 KP vs 3 KP (need minimum 3KP lead to claim). All my decision-making relaxes as I feel confident I pulled this game off, and I stop using the OODA loop and ‘play from the hip.’ I will be my own harshest critic—this game is far from over, I’ll highlight some hindsight where my opponent could have pulled the game back into a win for him.

Blood Angels Turn 4:

Librarian casts Prescience on the Assault Squad. Death Company unload move 6” towards the WolfCav. The Raven moves 6” towards the forest, and the Furioso Dreadnought unloads 6” towards the Grey Hunters. The Scouts move behind the ruins, hiding from Line of Sight. The AC/LC Pred moves up and shoots the WolfCav to soften them (as well as pistols and meltaguns) which kills one more model. The Raven kills two Long Fangs in the back to weaken them if the Vanguard free up (and also to cut down on return anti-tank fire). Surprisingly they fail morale and fallback 7”—this means they will auto-rally but can only snap-shot heavy weapons (6th Edition ATSKNF rules). The Furioso makes the 4” charge and kills 5 Grey Hunters, loses a hullpoint from a Powerfist glance. In the combination assault, I wipe out the WolfCav definitively, with only the loss of 1 DC and 3 Assault Marines. The Vanguard kill the last Long Fang and rally behind the wall to protect their killpoint.

gallery_27375_7797_17521.png

Situation Turn 4: 5 BA KP / 2 SW KP; 1 BA Quarter / 3 SW Quarters; 0 BA Obj / 0 SW Obj

The Furioso will kill the last 3 Grey Hunters for my 6th KP, and he has no ability to protect his Rhino from my AC/LC Pred and Raven combined so effectively I’ll have 7 KP by end of my turn.

Space Wolves Turn 5:

Rhino moves and meltagun side-shots my AC/LC Pred and it explodes. Well... that was nasty but it won’t help him unfortunately. The Long Fangs snap-shot at the Raven for no effect. Grey Hunters move so they can see the Scouts, then charge them and kill them all, consolidating onto the objective. Other Rhino goes Flat-out to escape.

gallery_27375_7797_2513.png

Blood Angels Turn 5:

Doesn’t really matter but I just target the offending Rhino, shooting it (explodes) then the DC (Prescience’d) charge and slay the Grey Hunters in the crater. Vanguards charge Long Fangs, kill 2.

gallery_27375_7797_14923.png

Final Situation:

8 Blood Angel Kill Points / 4 Space Wolves Kill Points

As you can see, I got lazy with my decision making as soon as the end became so predictable that it was barely worth playing out. I need to shake that bad habit, because you can easily lose a Tournament if you take your eye off the prize for even a second.

For final thought, I feel that my opponent was not careful enough. In a vast majority of games, his list should have literally face-stomped mine. But I feel I simply thought through exactly what I was doing and so I got the better of him.

This is a great battle report. I really like the way this shows the thought process behind everything. Does it take you long to go through all of this or is this something you constantly consider as the game goes on? I can play a solid tactical game, but it definitely takes me longer to go through a turn than my opponent and while I never played at a GT, I do fear my opponent would think I was trying to slow hammer them. Any thoughts on speeding up my turns or does it just get quicker with time?

Does it take you long to go through all of this or is this something you constantly consider as the game goes on? ....... Any thoughts on speeding up my turns or does it just get quicker with time?

Practice makes perfect. I can say most of the considerations I made took longer to read them than it even takes me to think them. The most important (and lengthiest) phase is the ORIENT phase-- it takes time to deliberately lay out both his options and your options. Once the options are delineated, making the decision is actually pretty easy and quick.

I cannot say I am the fastest decision-maker. I have trained though and am much faster with practice. But even I need to take my time to ensure I make the right call when it comes to more difficult decisions.

Well done :)

As you can see, I got lazy with my decision making as soon as the end became so predictable that it was barely worth playing out. I need to shake that bad habit, because you can easily lose a Tournament if you take your eye off the prize for even a second.

I know that habit, it always happens to me as well, very annoying. If he had turboboosted his rhinos towards your line in turn 1 already, do you think you would have stood a chance? What would you have done differently then?

I feel that I won a lot of my games by stringing out my opponent just like you did, enabling you to mass your whole army against only parts of his. But if he catches up and stays together, it becomes a lot more difficult.

This is exactly the kind of battlereport/tactica I am looking for. Not just a description of events, but the thinking process behind every move. These kinds of reports will really help both new players and veterans alike!

I am looking forward to reading more of these reports. I'll follow your reports with great interest!

Excellent description of your tactical and strategic process to win the game. This OODA process has great applications.

I think with the FAQs your win would have been better / quicker. He would not have been able to spread the wounds around, and his combat power for the unit would have faltered.

My only thinking was that the scouts might have mis-deployed. It might have been better to have them behind the ruin (if possible) so they could not be targeted by the Fangs, but at a location where they could have a fire lane on the Wolf advance units, or have imacted how he would advance.

Also...as observed eslewhere, the amount of terrain in Nova can dictate the most useful lists as having 36"+ high S weapons, since your opponent would have to advance into the big guns, nerfing ground-based assault armies.

Very interesting read.

I had two questions for you.

#1 you ID'd the list type early on as single shock. What other types of lists have you identified and how does list type impact the process?

#2 how would you recommend someone begin using this methodology? I assume you would start small and simply.

Why did his long fangs have to snap shot after regrouping? In the BRB it says they act normally after moving 3 inches. And I really enjoyed the battle report and I agree with Raphiel that batreps like this are the best and it gave me something to think about for my future battles and list building.

If he had turboboosted his rhinos towards your line in turn 1 already, do you think you would have stood a chance? What would you have done differently then?

I feel that I won a lot of my games by stringing out my opponent just like you did, enabling you to mass your whole army against only parts of his. But if he catches up and stays together, it becomes a lot more difficult.

I think I would have had a chance because my target prioritization would have been different. (Probably) the AC/LC pred, Baal Pred and Attack Bikes would have targeted the Rhinos with prejudice, and I probably would not have put the Baal into Long Fang Range (as his intentions of forward rush would need no enticement).

To this day I cannot fathom his Turn 1 choice of Rhino movement. The Scouts would have died a whole turn sooner, but then my Assault Marines may have decided to flank-left to meet them so perhaps he was giving time to let the WolfCav 'clear the path'? I really can't hazard a guess, and if the Rhinos flat-out on Turn1 then it would have been a different game is several aspects but I don't think an entirely different game. Really hard thing to predict, since my decisions are a domino-effect of his decisions.

My only thinking was that the scouts might have mis-deployed. It might have been better to have them behind the ruin (if possible) so they could not be targeted by the Fangs, but at a location where they could have a fire lane on the Wolf advance units, or have imacted how he would advance.
I agree the Scouts were a hard choice to deploy well. If I put them in the center ruins, they could have ranged everything but may have taken a lot of shooting-pressure. It would have drawn him firmly to center though, and I did not want him in the center since the fight would favor him on that ground. Putting my scouts 'behind' the ruins on my left-flank might have been a touch more optimal than in the ruins, but other than that I think I made a fairly decent decision. Note: My first choice would have put them on the objective on my right flank but the 'clear hill' was determined not to grant area terrain cover.

#1 you ID'd the list type early on as single shock. What other types of lists have you identified and how does list type impact the process?

#2 how would you recommend someone begin using this methodology? I assume you would start small and simply.

1) Wow well the amount of types of lists out there are quite numerous obviously. I've mentioned the Single-Shock and Double-Shock, but in full description, technically he was running a Single-Shock with Strong Medium Infantry support. Basically my personal classification runs a touch different than most players- for example, I call it Mass Light Infantry rather than Hordes; I call it Mass Light Vehicles rather than MSU.

So for me, I classify a List based on what it runs selected from a Problem Set-- The Problem Set for me is: Light Infantry, Light Vehicles, Medium Infantry, Fast Infantry (Bikes/Jetbikes/Jump Packers), Heavy Infantry, Heavy Tanks/Walkers, Monstrous Creatures, Alpha-strikers (Deep-Strike/Outflank), Heroic-level Independent Characters, Shock Units, and Fliers/Flying Monsters. So each item receives Mass, Strong, Average, and Weak classifications, and sometimes useful to actually label Single, Double, Triple for low-density items (Like Heroic-ICs or MCs).

So a list with 2 Nob Bikerz units and Boyz to fill is a Double-Shock with Average Light Infantry support (where Average could be upgraded to as high as Mass Light Infantry, depending on the points-level). Instead of 'Dread-spam', I classify it as Mass Heavy Walker with Weak Medium Infantry support.

The benefits of this system is that you classify his units more on how they are killed and less on what their capabilities are. Things that kill Tacticals (Medium Infantry) also kill Devastators, Assault Marines, Incubi, 'Ard Boyz, Nid Warriors, Striking Scorpions, etcetc. If you focus on categorizing by how to kill them, then you become objectivized and focused rather than daunted or confused. (Example from history: Roman Legionaries treated Chariots the same way they treated War Elephants, and hence did not break or run just from fear of the unknown).

2) I would certainly start small, and simply by using ORIENT (don't deliberately worry about the other phases yet). ORIENT is the most important- and there is no need to get overwhelmed either, start small even with that. Instead of trying to delineate all possibilities, just think about the best-case and the worst-case. Make your predictions binary, and then go with that (instead of letting your head swim with the countless ways the game could play out).

Why did his long fangs have to snap shot after regrouping? In the BRB it says they act normally after moving 3 inches.
Well the 'Know No Fear' rules says the models auto-regroup and then act as normal. However, 'normal' in this case means the 3" regroup puts them into the 'counts as moving' for the firing of Heavy Weapons. I can stand to be wrong on this account, it is just how my group interprets the ruling. Let's open a thread in the Official Rules subforum to get answers there if our ruling seems wrong.

It is worth mentioning that Turn 3 is where my opponent really lost the game. Look at 'BA Turn 2B.' If you run the OODA loop as if you were my opponent you will discover that

1)His shooting could probably take the Baal (which it did).

2)He could send one Rhino with Hunters back to sit on an Objective.

3)He could send the other Rhino to go rescue his Long Fangs then sit on that objective.

4)He can send the third Rhino to the center objective to sit on that obj.

5)The Wolf Cav could also enter the center ruins and hide from LOS.

Killing the Baal and the Vanguards would give him 2 KP. That means I would require 5 KP to win-- 3 Rhinos from shooting would be the best I'd manage, and in assault I would not be able to combination-charge the WolfCav hiding in the Ruins (cannot charge what you cannot see) and he'd have Hunters directly nearby for support. So nobody would win by KP, nobody would win quarters, and at the very most I would only have 2 objectives and he would have 2 or 3 objectives.

If he had been less eager and had been more analytical, Turn 3 could have been the turn where he'd place the 'burden to win' on me.

Forgive me if this was asked before, its a long and very interesting thread Ill be reading after my shift ends - but how often would you say you use OODA to disurpt an opponents plan?

I mean - do you often find yourself trying to disrupt an opponents plans more then just going with your own?

Forgive me if this was asked before, its a long and very interesting thread Ill be reading after my shift ends - but how often would you say you use OODA to disurpt an opponents plan?

I mean - do you often find yourself trying to disrupt an opponents plans more then just going with your own?

Generally my plans are more important, especially since there is much more control for your own actions and an opponent may not act in ways you predict.

That being said, if there is a failure in my plan predictions to 'win straight-up' then I will have to look for ways to subvert my opponent's decision cycle.

There's more on the subject, I'll have to write up my thoughts later though. Busy day tomorrow

I like your approach to the game. Whilst I don't use an algorithm to organise my tactics,

I can see similarities in my thinking process to this. It's nice to have it explained with

such a good example.

Personally my tactics favour an enticement (all round defense with plenty of baiting (often

verbally :-P) combined with distractions/ambushes from outflankers and combination

distraction/fixing forces to help control the midfield)

Most of my opponents find it difficult to cope with the varied tactics, and when backed up

by careful target priority from my shooty elements, they tend to find themselves running

out of manpower and momentum by the time they hit my lines (if they make it that far).

I may try and apply your algorithm to my next battle and see if the added organisation

helps eliminate the few tactical errors that occasionally slip through.

Laterz...

Love your list, it must be much more satisfying from a hobby point of view to make and paint all those various infantry/walkers/tanks/fliers than building 6 indentical squads!

Really enjoyed the bat rep and your thoughts about how you approach the game.

Im currently playing a deathwing army and this thread and some of your articles have given me alot of ideas so thanks!

OH and look forward to more !

D

Does it take you long to go through all of this or is this something you constantly consider as the game goes on? ....... Any thoughts on speeding up my turns or does it just get quicker with time?

Practice makes perfect. I can say most of the considerations I made took longer to read them than it even takes me to think them. The most important (and lengthiest) phase is the ORIENT phase-- it takes time to deliberately lay out both his options and your options. Once the options are delineated, making the decision is actually pretty easy and quick.

I cannot say I am the fastest decision-maker. I have trained though and am much faster with practice. But even I need to take my time to ensure I make the right call when it comes to more difficult decisions.

Really interesting read, that's very similar to how I always play my games, as it follows a very logical progression - I never realised it was laid out anywhere in such definitive terms however!

I find mistakes sneak in when I try and rush the ''Orient'' phase (though obviously I never had a definitive 'phase' in my thinking - I will from now on) - and in most tabletop games there really isn't a need to rush there.

I'd like to see how you go on in NOVA, so I'd definitely be interested in reading more battle reports like this.

Incidentally, just from looking at the terrain, I didn't think he was allowed to seperate his Aegis Defence Line (one line in-front, a smaller line behind) thanks to the FAQ stating the line needs to be continuous so that one piece is in contact with atleast one other piece and there is no 'break' in the chain?

I may have miss-read that though.

Good work in the battle report.

Thanks for this report, I really like when players lay out their whole decision-making process in battle reports. It has really helped me identify where my own tactical problems occur: namely, I have a habit of not Observing all of the data available to me (or forgetting said data), and I tend to rush the Orient stage. There was a time when I was pretty capable of predicting what an opponent would do at any given time, but I've just gotten lazy about it...

It was a very interesting read, I look forward to any future reports you do :lol:

• 1 month later...
It is worth mentioning that Turn 3 is where my opponent really lost the game. Look at 'BA Turn 2B.' If you run the OODA loop as if you were my opponent you will discover that

1)His shooting could probably take the Baal (which it did).

2)He could send one Rhino with Hunters back to sit on an Objective.

3)He could send the other Rhino to go rescue his Long Fangs then sit on that objective.

4)He can send the third Rhino to the center objective to sit on that obj.

5)The Wolf Cav could also enter the center ruins and hide from LOS.

Killing the Baal and the Vanguards would give him 2 KP. That means I would require 5 KP to win-- 3 Rhinos from shooting would be the best I'd manage, and in assault I would not be able to combination-charge the WolfCav hiding in the Ruins (cannot charge what you cannot see) and he'd have Hunters directly nearby for support. So nobody would win by KP, nobody would win quarters, and at the very most I would only have 2 objectives and he would have 2 or 3 objectives.

If he had been less eager and had been more analytical, Turn 3 could have been the turn where he'd place the 'burden to win' on me.

Is placing the burden to win a strategic goal?

I frequently use the phrase 'burden to win' because it is so descriptive. The actual terminology I should be using is Strategic Advantage.

The Strategic Advantage is that if both players do nothing further, literally make no actions, then the player with the Strategic Advantage will win per the conditions of the mission. Commonly the Strategic Advantage is when there are 3 or 5 Objectives. The player who starts with the extra objective in their deployment zone has the advantage from Turn 1. Also, the Advantage can obviously change hands in the middle of the game.

Gaining and maintaining the advantage is often your main strategic goal. However, there have been quite a few games where I've let the opponent possess the advantage all the way up to the last turn. An opponent will play much more cautiously and comfortably when they have the edge, sometimes making it easier for you to position for a late-game push.

I frequently use the phrase 'burden to win' because it is so descriptive. The actual terminology I should be using is Strategic Advantage.

The Strategic Advantage is that if both players do nothing further, literally make no actions, then the player with the Strategic Advantage will win per the conditions of the mission. Commonly the Strategic Advantage is when there are 3 or 5 Objectives. The player who starts with the extra objective in their deployment zone has the advantage from Turn 1. Also, the Advantage can obviously change hands in the middle of the game.

Gaining and maintaining the advantage is often your main strategic goal. However, there have been quite a few games where I've let the opponent possess the advantage all the way up to the last turn. An opponent will play much more cautiously and comfortably when they have the edge, sometimes making it easier for you to position for a late-game push.

On the other hand, when you have the advantage, it forces them to do something. For example, they might have to come out from behind cover and expose themselves to fire or engage an enemy they are not suited to engage in desperation. I'm wondering then if this is akin to the idea of initiative. When you have the advantage, they have to react to you, allowing you to dictate a lot of the ensuing battle. On the other hand, it forces them to be proactive and that tends to make you reactive doesn't it? That seems contradictory.

Archived