I'd like to request MK3 Blood Angels torso. I know we don't have much in the way of something to go off of but I think you can come up with something. Everything in here is amazing BTW.

Edited by marine7312000

gallery_42599_12844_77654.jpg

I have talked before on this thread about my theory on the shape of marines. I like characters which add something cool but if they don't keep the basic silhouette of the SM models then they fall flat for me. To that end, the officers and character models which do something different while keeping the shape are the best IMO. The three essential pieces which make up the shape of the MKIV marine are the helmet, the shoulder pads and the torso. Keep these on the model, with only subtle changes and you will get a model with real character that cannot but be a 30k marine.

This is what I hope to bring out of this tutorial. It keeps the basic shape of the MKIV while deliberately breaking it up in a key area: the helmet crest. That will be enough for the file legionnaires in your force to hammer down their allegiance. In the future I hope to do some mini tutorials covering 3D Legion symbols but today we will just cover the flourishes which pick out a legion's allegiance. Some are easier than others (eg. Fur for SW, though this is controversial at the moment...).

Let's get started!

gallery_42599_12844_13940.jpg

1. These are all the pieces you need to break the standard silhouette of a MKIV Marine and tick the Thousand Sons box. You’ll need basic MKIV pouldrons, a basic MKIV helm (I have used one from the plastic kit for ease but personally I prefer to use the FW MKIV for this because the lines are much sharper), and a standard MKIV torso.

2. Starting with the pouldrons, carefully shave away 1mm sections out of the trim leaving an ‘L’ shape in the corner about 2mm on each edge. Now flatten a small blob into the nook of the ‘L’.

3. Split the GS blob with a sculpting tool so that it looks something like the flaming comet of Sigmar.

4. Using your sculpting tool carefully bend the ‘tails’ of the comet around to meet the outer edge of the 1mm gap in the trim and flatten these, making sure to keep the curve in the new trim. I have also expanded the curve where we split the blob in the middle to more closely match the FW shape.

My aim is to evoke these plates but clearly make it a tiny affectation rather than stepping on the more elaborate FW plates. Besides it saves time.

gallery_42599_12844_253501.jpg

5. For the helm this is a straight rip from one of the FW helms in the conversion kit. The changes are very basic though. To start, apply three tiny blobs to the helm. One on the forehead for the crest, and one on either side of the MKIV face plate.

6. Flatten the side blobs and with your smallest tool shape these into cheek guards. Take care that the eye lenses are not concealed and that the points of the cheek guards don’t go further forward than the inner edge of the highest MKIV ‘Whiskers’ (The three little holes on either side of the face plate). It helps to use the helms with those three holes for this conversion but it’s not essential.

7. Now for the crest. We’ve talked about the importance of silhouette above so don’t get carried away. All we need is a nod to the hobbyists who see your models across the gaming table. Here you just need to carefully shape the blob into a diamond. Ideally the top of the diamond should rise above the vent on top of the helm but again that’s not essential.

8. Just for the coup de grace add a stud or rivet to the middle of the diamond.

gallery_42599_12844_145382.jpg

9. The torso is a very basic conversion. Start by carefully cutting away the bottom pipes of the MKIV torso. This is a nod to the Thousand Son we have seen on FW Inferno promotional material.

10. Roll a pair of thin sausages into the gaps left by the pipes and add a small blob into the middle nexus of the torso.

11. Smooth over the blob so that it takes the shape of a disc. I envision painting this bronze to draw the eye. Now all that’s left for the torso is to clean up the sausages into sharp edges to mimic the ablative plating covering the hidden pipes. Alternatively you could add more pipes underneath (See my MKIV tutorial Pg1) but these wouldn’t match the remaining ones on the chest.

12. Here is the finished Thousand Sons Veteran. These pieces do no overwhelm the basic shape of the MKIV marine (which is the whole reason we wanted those marks in plastic) like some of the FW kits but they do clearly break up the standard silhouette and leave no doubt that you’re ranged against a Thousand Son. I intend to use this gentleman and thirty others like him to form a small strike force of Thousand Sons.

I hope this helps my fellow aspiring sorcerers out there! I’m looking forward to applying this to some of my other marines.

Next I hope to have a go at a Night Lord Legionnaire. After that I will take a look at Blood Angels, as requested by marine7312000. After that I’m gonna have a go at making a Consul Variant. I’d love to hear which one you want to see a tutorial for.

All the best, and happy Heresy!

GV

Great tutorial! Looking forward to the blood angel and consul variant tutorials. After looking at this thousand sons tutorial, I think a generic guide for commander heads would be nice. I'd love to see what modifications you could come up with for normal heads to make them more unique since the box sets only give you a plume to show rank.

@Gawain Veteris
So inspired by your work I did a quick and lazy additon to my glued MKIV style NL Raptor. No where near as detailed as your work but for someone who is impatient and even with 10 years to cultivate some GS talent has not, I actually found this doable and great. Painting shall save my poor attempt but alas I thought id share.
gallery_81675_12858_18653.jpg

Now ive started my NL Raptors Ill try harder to follow some of your Tutorials to give them a post Heresy vibe, cant wait for you Winged Helmet tutorial!

-Noctem

*Updated photo*

Edited by Noctem Cultor

Just to reassure brothers following this thread, I will still be tackling Night Lords and Blood Angels armour accents shortly. This post was a diversion about which I am rather excited.

Getting hold of a copy of Inferno I was eager to model Magistus Amon of the Thousand Sons 9th Fellowship. His wargear struck me as a great opportunity to make a characterful centerpiece for my force and also take advantage of the insane Psybrokeness. I picture this guy (as per concept) seeming to dissolve into aetherial smoke/sand. This would represent his Armour of Shades.

gallery_42599_12875_159203.jpg

I will be basing the model on the Betrayal at Calth MKIV Chaplain and I will be keeping this thread updated on the progress. It's an ambitious project for me but I wanted to sharpen my teeth a little. Keep an eye out for that Night Lord tutorial nevertheless!

Let me know what you think of the concept and I would really welcome any tips for improving the design.

Happy Heresy, All is dust etc...

GV

Sounds great to me similar effect to the new Eldar Avatar, maybe use of something from the Sigmar Death Range might bits wise or to inspire, other than that I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Looking forward to the NL, I have my notebook and GS at the ready.

-Noctem

gallery_42599_12875_1064426.jpg

gallery_42599_12875_1081110.jpg

gallery_42599_12875_649072.jpg

gallery_42599_12875_1017314.jpg

gallery_42599_12875_1194971.jpg

So I have made some progress on Magistus Amon. I have been experimenting with the smoke effect (shown in concept above). The intended impression is Amon's armour seeming to blend into an aethereal smoke. This fits his wargear, Armour of Shades (and maybe even Dust of the Devourers). I take the model's cue from special effects in the Mummy movies, but also the new model, Avatar of Ynnead.

I am enjoying the modelling opportunities afforded by Thousand Sons. This model will be the Warlord of my little strike force. I sculpted a new left hand so that he can be striking a more somatic sorcerer's pose. The composition deliberately keeps the actual 'magic' behind the hand, however. This emphasizes that the smoke is constant. The fluff describes the Armour of Shades as allowing Amon to appear as other than he is, but on the battlefield I wanted a more practical, visible effect which also explains why he confers a minor cover save/cover save buff to his squad. That is, he's a walking smoke bomb...

The minimal robes are made from finecast resin sprues, carefully carved and heated to be shaped into flapping bolts of fabric.The sword is an amalgam of tomb kings khopesh and the power pack from a Grey Knights force weapon. All that's left for this guy is to make a holstered Archaeotech pistol and add other wysiwig elements, like F&K grenades and something which can represent the Dust of Devourers (perhaps an hour glass).

Not quite finished yet but I was excited to show you guys my progress and to ask your opinion on the smoke/dust effect. I also wanted to get the feeling for the composition. Would a helmet be better than a bare head? I added a tiny beard (like Amon's artwork) to tick that box.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Best, and Happy Heresy,

GV

The minimal robes are made from finecast resin sprues, carefully carved and heated to be shaped into flapping bolts of fabric.

Now this is a nice detail I had not thought of doing, using the resin sprue for robes. I'mma gonna have to make a note of that, so thank you.

And your conversion looks really great, I haven't seen the artwork for this character or read his description, but it still looks super awesome.

The minimal robes are made from finecast resin sprues, carefully carved and heated to be shaped into flapping bolts of fabric.

Now this is a nice detail I had not thought of doing, using the resin sprue for robes. I'mma gonna have to make a note of that, so thank you.

And your conversion looks really great, I haven't seen the artwork for this character or read his description, but it still looks super awesome.

No problem. I hope it's useful. And thanks! The smoke is a tonne of artistic licence (just my interpretation). I take my cue from the artwork for the bearded face and the head with two ears (I had to sculpt his left ear back onto his head instead of a coms piece).

GV

I can't believe I haven't commented on this thread yet.

Wonderful, and inspiring stuff from start to finish.

I'm a huge fan of your work, and I think what you have been doing is a service to the community! I think I first saw your thread in 2013 and it was the first time. I ever gave sculpting a solid go.

Keep up the good work :)

Oh, and if you are still considering suggestions for ideas from the frater, how's about:

1) fur pelts for space wolves/white scars

2) Saturnine terminator armour (or am I pushing my luck?) :p

Saturnine Terminator Armour is a great shout, I've a feeling it's going to get FW treatment at some point but would love to see GV's take on it.

I've got fingers crossed FW make it into the original Centurion armour that was changed for less protection for mobility later on.

-Noctem

I can't believe I haven't commented on this thread yet.

Wonderful, and inspiring stuff from start to finish.

I'm a huge fan of your work, and I think what you have been doing is a service to the community! I think I first saw your thread in 2013 and it was the first time. I ever gave sculpting a solid go.

Keep up the good work :smile.:

Oh, and if you are still considering suggestions for ideas from the frater, how's about:

1) fur pelts for space wolves/white scars

2) Saturnine terminator armour (or am I pushing my luck?) :tongue.:

I hope these have been useful to the community. That's why I do it! :) And Saturnine Terminator Armour has been a long-term ambition for me. I love the old 80's concept drawings. I'd probably model it on Indomitus Pattern... It'd be a big job but I'm open to it :)

GV

Wow that Amon model is really impressive!!! The smoke effect is one of the best I've ever seen, a tutorial on how to do that would be awesome! I really cannot emphasise enough how much I like the model, it is simply a great conversion.

• 5 months later...