Are SoB still viable?

Ganders

So i'm back in the hobby after a couple of years due to work and children arriving. I have a very large Ultramarine army and a largish Grey Knights army but i wanted to try something different this time. So after a lot of thinking i decided to go for Sisters of Battle as i love the character and fluff of the army.

But it seems that GW have downgraded them. No proper codex and no plastic troops set. I dont fancy paying for the same 3 or 4 metal battle sister models to make up an army of a decent size.

Is this permanent or are there any plans by GW in the near future to address these issues?

There are always consistent answers from GW bigwigs at Q&As about that, that the Sisters are in the plan to be properly redone. We never have an ETA though. As it is, it is what it is. We have the White Dwarf Codex and the existing models, which consistent comments and rumors that one day the Sororitas will have a proper plastic treatment like everyone else. :D

Welcome aboard Ganders, I'm sure you've already poked around a bit to figure out the SoB basics but if not there's plenty of people here who are happy to help. Have you thought about having a proxy game or two with your Marines to test the codex out?

GW has a policy now of not announcing in advance so there's no reliable way to know what's coming with any decent notice. Of course you can draw certain clues from the volume of rumours and such to the point where you're more or less waiting for GW to confirm it (as with Chaos and Dark Vengeance for example) but we're not at that stage with SoB yet. We're definitely on the table though :D

Viable as in a tactically competitive army? Yes.

Viable as a new army to build and play? Not really.

While the metal figures are getting on in age, they are still some of the best looking metal figures Citadel has made. But with limited number of models and few still in production it will be a repetitive looking army that is difficult to modify. But that's not the reason I say they are not viable as a new army.

There is no legal way to get a copy of the codex other than buying two out of print magazines second hand from other people. It has been that way for a year now. Believe me, the resellers know it is hard to get and they are even selling the 3rd edition codex at a premium price. Now I'm not saying they are intentionally trying to mislead people, but it does seem a little suspicious. In fact, an ebay listing right now has no listing for the 1st half of the codex, only 1 copy of the 2nd half, but there are 9 copies of the 3rd edition codex listed for sale.

Earliest speculation puts the new Sisters around 4thQ 2013. While it is a well formed argument based on the few scraps of information and the writers’ previous time taken for writing a codex, it is still speculation. I am hoping, tho. I want to double the size of my army and while I do like the models out now, I don't want to paint the same few things all over again.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the lack of variety in the models is whats going to stop me for the moment. I think i'm going for a White Scars force instead to tide me over till the hopeful arrival of the sisters in the near future. Everyone needs a third marine army right? :D

Of course they are viable. My sisters took on an Imperial Guard list tonight just to discover that IG sould never play an tank list vs them. IG surrendered before the assault phase on my turn 4 (Top). 10 repentia with Jacobs were about to assault his big tanks. plus the 2 surviving exorcists, about 8 melta guns, two immy's with MM....

Needless to say. they are very good...

Archived