Is that a fully painted army I spy? (although I think some I may have painted and are banned from being used against me until they get repainted!)

Pity I didn't take an army shot of this one :( This lot was 99% painted and there was maybe two models you might recognise...

Battle Summary

Pick up game Vs Space Wolves using what I had to hand. I opted for a heavily armoured convoy and because I've not used it in 8th yet (mainly due to the price increase in CA17) and needed to write a quick list , I gave my Cerberus a run out :blush.:

Armies
Blood Angels

Captain
Lieutenant
Three Tactical Squads
Rhino
Two Predators
Cerberus

gallery_62972_9890_449538.jpg

Space Wolves

Bjorn
Primaris Battle Leader
Krom Dragongaze
Grey Hunters
Aggressors
Two Intercessor Squads
Redemptor Dreadnought
Stormhawk
Land Raider Redeemer

Pregame

Mission is Relic (Eternal War, BRB). No CPs and beta rules are in play :/
Deployment was fairly straightforward: both Preadors occupy my left flank, with my Cerberus on the right. The two flamer-Tactical Squads were pushed up in the centre whilst the Captain and Lieutenant shared the meltagun-Tactical Squad's Rhino, and this was parked centrally, but behind the flamer squads.

gallery_62972_9890_402919.jpg

My opponent hugged his left (my right) flank in the following manner: Redeember -> Redemptor -> Stormhawk -> Greyhunters -> Command blob -> both Intercessor Squads -> Aggressors

gallery_62972_9890_1330958.jpg

I successfully rolled for first turn.

The game

My flamer squads advanced to leave them a few inches away from the Relic. The Rhino moved into the ruin and the Predators moved up their flank into good firing positions. The Cerberus held back as I was feeling cautious with it (so far, she has only fought in Apocalypse games and against Wraithlords...), however, I needn't have been. She annihilated the Redeemer whilst the Predators put some damage on the Redemptor.
In retaliation, the Stormhawk moved to my back line and it and the Redemptor unloaded on the Cerberus doing maybe a wound or two thanks to the T9 0.o However, the foot units moved towards the Relic and destrpyed both my Tactical Squads...

gallery_62972_9890_541832.jpg

In turn two I moved up the Cerberus a bit but left the Rhino where it was – allowing the Commanders to disembark and move over to the nearest Predator as the other one moved behind the Aggressors. However, little of note happened: the Cerberus exploded the Redepmtor, and a couple of Aggressors died.
The Stormhawk moved back towards their lines and unloaded on the Rhino. Combined with the fire from elsewhere, four wounds were done to it. Meanwhile, they had the Relic and had it circled...

gallery_62972_9890_85889.jpg

Turn three was brutal for the Blood Angels. The Cerberus exploded the Stormhawk and charged the Grey Hunters. After this (and some AP fire from elsewhere), there was only two left. The Predators took apart the Intercessor Squads and the remaining Tactical Squad disembarked to mop up the stragglers. My Command moved to secure the Relic.
The SW command charged the Cerberus with Bjorn doing an almighty amount of damage. However, it wasn't quite enough and once all the attacks had happened, it had four wounds remaining.

gallery_62972_9890_111730.jpg

Considering my turn would have played out in the following manner: Cerberus would fall back, everything would shoot the stranded SWs, then I would charge whatever was left with whatever was in range as my Captain would leg it with the Relic, my opponent conceeded.

As a point of note, I couldn't apologise enough for the Cerberus and gave him a lift home :thumbsup:

Debrief
Basically, I had my 2500 IXth list with me and needed to conjure up a quick army. As it's a mechanised force, I opted to attempt a trimmed down version of a previous 2k "Heavy mech" list. This led to the Cerberus as she ate half of the points which meant less faffing on creating the rest of the list.

Captain

• In because he was there and I needed a Warlord. Nothing of note tbh

Lieutenant

• In because he was there and I needed a cheap second HQ. Nothing of note tbh

Three Tactical Squads

• First Tactical run out in a long time. Remembered to use assault weapons properly but they didn't do much of note. Felt they fit the list theme (and I had no Scouts with me!!!)

Rhino

• Again, more a themed choice than anything else, but it did keep some Troops alive to enable me to win

Two Predators

• Ignoring Feb's Apocalypse, this might amongst the first run out for my Predators using the "autolas" configuration and damn, I was impressed. The Predator Cannon is great doing three damage. Why don't I field them more often?!?

Cerberus

• Can I play you every week? First time she's pulled her weight in a normal game (even if I feel dirty for taking her) as she normally gets the attention of, say, two heavy wraithcannons early on :dry.: That heavy neutron pulse array is really impressive (72", Heavy 3, STR 14, AP -4, D 3+D6) but she can still be countered hard, especially in combat (even though she has 8(!) attacks at WS 5+, STR 8, AP -2, D D3) on a T9, W 22 platform. Oh, and she's overpriced.
Edited by Jolemai

Congratulations on your victory! Knowingly or unknowingly you took the worst possible list for your opponent to face and executed the mission mercilessly :thumbsup:
It's a pity that poor Tacs were obliterated so quickly, but being a meatshield is sometimes necessary for the plan. And they put pressure on the enemy turn 1 by threatening to grab the relic, so he had to deal with them. 

Only 3 shots/turn out of that behemoth? Looks like a perfect distraction carnifex and it did it's job splendidly. 

Congratulations on your victory! Knowingly or unknowingly you took the worst possible list for your opponent to face and executed the mission mercilessly :thumbsup:

It's a pity that poor Tacs were obliterated so quickly, but being a meatshield is sometimes necessary for the plan. And they put pressure on the enemy turn 1 by threatening to grab the relic, so he had to deal with them.

Only 3 shots/turn out of that behemoth? Looks like a perfect distraction carnifex and it did it's job splendidly.

You can pay for it to have either heavy bolter or lascannon sponsors, and it can have a pintle weapon (storm bolter, heavy flamer, heavy bolter, multi-melta) but it's 680 base...

Oh my... forgot about that landraider... it just disappeared so quickly! :woot:  Point to You, Panzer, I admit.
But still I'm not sure. I mean, seriously - just 3 shots! How easy it is to blow 2 rolls sky-high? Or for the enemy to roll some Invulnerable save? True, even that 1 shot that getst through will hurt - at least 4 damage, and 6-7 at average, so enough to force something big a level down on the operational chart. And at T9 it's really durable.
In the battle above it clearly didn't get enough proper attention from the enemy however meagre were his assets. I'd say that he wasn't sure what to do with it until it was too late, so in my eyes it did caused a confusion of sorts. 

EDIT: 680pts base... ughhh... But still she pulled her weight in that battle :thumbsup:

Edited by Majkhel

• 3 weeks later...

I love a good armoured fist style list!

Glad the predators performed well, I think even though their price is a little too high, the pred autocannon is a massive improvement on last edition.

One thing, the shade of red you have is awesome, super vibrant (I'm jealous, I don't have the patience to build up that colour) , but might do with a tiny recess shade, to really make them stand out?

How many tanks do you have in total? Have you used the Venator recently? Any good?

I love a good armoured fist style list!

Glad the predators performed well, I think even though their price is a little too high, the pred autocannon is a massive improvement on last edition.

One thing, the shade of red you have is awesome, super vibrant (I'm jealous, I don't have the patience to build up that colour) , but might do with a tiny recess shade, to really make them stand out?

How many tanks do you have in total? Have you used the Venator recently? Any good?

Most of my stuff varies in its painted state, but they do get a recess wash eventually. On this page alone, the red Drop Pod, Cerberus, and older Predator still require it.

If by Venator you mean Sicaran Battle Tank then I haven't used it outside of Apocalypse yet. As for tank numbers,I have eleven or so with paint and three without. Still got loads to get!

Prototype servo hauler in the background?

Entirely possible.

Damn Jolemai you really need a new cam. Your pics are so grainy. :D

Indeed,or at least I need to know how to best use my camera phone.

If by Venator you mean Sicaran Battle Tank then I haven't used it outside of Apocalypse yet. As for tank numbers,I have eleven or so with paint and three without. Still got loads to get!

I thought I seen a Venator somewhere in one of your lists - the HH one? The Cerberus is a testament to the effectiveness of the neutron pulse laser thingy. I have a Venator in it's bag still, needing some love.

Battle Summary

Using my Troop spam – 2000 points Vs Deathwatch & Imperial Knights

Nb: I forgot some models for this game and had to use proxies. The Tarantula is a standard Bike and the TDA Captains are Attack Bikes :blush.:

Armies
Blood Angels

Captain Smash – Warlord (DVoS)
Captain (Veritas)
Lieutenant (Angel's Wing)
Librarian (jump)
Sanguinary Ancient (Standard)
Sanguinary Guard
Terminator Squad
Company Anceint
Three Devastator Squads
Two "choppy" Scout Squads

Two Tactical Squads
Bolter Scout Squad
Shotgun Scout Squad
Bike Squad
Two Attack Bike Squads

gallery_62972_9890_216590.jpg

Brigade – extra relics and DvoS = 11 CP

Deathwatch & Imperial Knights

Two Librarians
Three Vanguard Veteran Squads
Bike Squad
Corvus
Two Helverins
Knight Castellan

gallery_62972_9890_469982.jpg

Super-heavy Detachment + Vanguard Detachement = 7 CP

Pregame

Mission is Supply Cache (Open War cards). Beta rules are in play :/
Dawn of War deployment and I split my forces into four groups: I put my Devastators and a Tactical Squad on and around the silo on my right flank to guard a potential objective, with their character support (Captain, Company Ancient) hidden behind them; I started the SG, SGA, Librarian, and Smash in the centre; I started the bikes and the other Tactical Squad on the left flank in a ruin and adjacent another potential objective; I have three Squads of Scouts in the Grav-haulers and one by the Thunderhawk. The Terminators were in Reserves.
My opponent puts his Knights opposite my Devastators (with a VAS entourage), has a second VAS squad and bikes in the centre, and has a third VAS and the Corvus out of sight on my extreme left flank (there's also a potential objective there).
The final two objectives are on in the grav-haulers and one by the upended Thunderhawk. Oh, and I lose first turn...

gallery_62972_9890_116324.jpg
T1 has actually just started, but you get the idea of Deployment :blush.:

The game

With no objectives revealed in my opponent's turn, the VAS in the corner camped the objective whilst the Corvus flew towards my lines, bombing the bikes on the way. Further shooting from it removed two more leaving just the Sergeant remaining. In the centre, the Librarian, another VAS and the Bikes went after my Scouts. Shooting, psychics and assault reduced them down to a handful in each squad... Meanwhile, the Knights moved towards my Devastators. Firing was as you'd expect, leaving a couple of models in each and a few Scouts (which the final VAS mopped up in combat).
In my turn the objective had been found (by my Bikes and Tactical Squad to the far side of the Knights) and retaliation was swift, starting with a number of wounds being put on the Corvus. In the middle, the melee continued with a handful of models going from each side. Now, there was only five Scouts left between them to hold up that part of the board... The remaining heavy weapons spat out death (or rather, a few wounds on the Helverins) and the SG and characters moved up. The SG failed their charge but the characters got in on the VAS and Librarian and took them apart.

gallery_62972_9890_490092.jpg

The camping VAS now left their post and advanced towards the correct objective, while the Corvus limped towards the Devastators, removing a few more. In the centre the VAS disenegaged and also made their way over towards the Objective, but the Librarian and a few more Scouts perished. On the knight flank, some shooting went towards the Devastators but most of it went into the SG who despite perishing, tanked the majoirty of it admirably. This mean the Knights could charge my characters... Whilst the Helverins didn't do a great deal, the Castellan stomped my Lieutenant. Then Captain Smash revealed himself, Heroically Intervened, and knocked off eight wounds. He then went again, knocking off a further twelve...
In my turn I brought the Terminators on to reinforce the Objective and my free Scouts charged the Bikes. Whilst nothing of note happened here (and the Corvis was still alive), charging meant the Knight player could interrupt the proceedings – and he proceeds to stomp Captain Smash into the ground :sad.:

But wait! Blood Angels don't die without a fight and with Only In Death Does Duty End Smash gets his final round of combat. After the dice have rolled, a further eight wounds get through which causes the Castellan to detonate, which obliterates the Helverins and the rest of my Characters.

gallery_62972_9890_57456.jpg
gallery_62972_9890_110605.jpg

Turns three and found were just clearing up now for the Blood Angels. The DW Bikes eventually go down to the Scouts (Sergeant remains), the VAS actually dispatch the Terminators with shooting but the Attack Bikes and Tactical Squad finish them off (the Corvus is also shot down by the remaining heavy weapons) to clear the field and take the win for the Blood Angels!

gallery_62972_9890_318133.jpg

Edited by Jolemai

Congratulations Jolemai!
Happy for your victory! It's great to see you win using characterful, themed list. You've got it pretty balanced I'd say. 3 Devastator squads are also working for me, what loadout you gave them? I see LCs and MLs. Pity the Terminators got killed. Still they provided what was necessary for the game - cover for the objective, so nobody can say they were useless.

Also, cannot help but notice that splendidly made downed Thunderhawk in the middle of the field!:thumbsup:

Debrief

General Musings

• Made a few changes to this list after the 1kS game above, namely the third Devastator Squad, two Tactical Squads, and a change to the tactics: teleporting the Terminators and starting the SG on the board. I also remembered the Chapter Banner rules (and thus, banner shenanigans!). Main mistake was starting the SG where I did (they were last to go down so I could have put them closer to the Knights and got a charge off myself). On the whole, I'm getting faster and better, but this list can still improve as it evolves - just like me.

• Did what I wanted for a change which I'm happy with. Played it well too by not letting on he was a Smash Captain and purposefully not using him in the initial combat against the VAS/Librarian.

Captain (Veritas)

• Vital for the re-rolls, however, the changes to CP regeneration hurt. Just have to get used to it...

Lieutenant (Angel's Wing)

• It was only during the game that I realised that his buff is the same as the Archangel banner :blush.: (there's been a spot of lag between writing this up and playing the next battle where he was benched for a Priest)

Librarian (jump)

• Initially nullified due to Nullzone. Useful afterwards though thanks to Rage. Not going anywhere.

• Love it. Helped the SG tank admirably with Standard of Sacrifice and I love the shenanigans too

Sanguinary Guard

• Might get to use them in combat one day but they did their job as a bodyguard. Keep forgetting about their re-rolls though...

Terminator Squad

• Didn't get the chance to use their stratagem this game, so they just reinforced an Objective - which happens. Still die far too quickly, mind.

Company Anceint

• Absolutely adore this in conjunction with my Devastators for that extra Hellfire/Flakk/Plasma Overcharge on death - and for the shenanigans!

Three Devastator Squads

• Added a third for redundnacy (pc/hb, pc/ml, hb/ml) which worked well enough. Juicy target though...

Bolter Scout Squad
Shotgun Scout Squad

• Does what it says on the tin and I love chainswords on my Sergeants. Still don't think i get the maximum out of them though :sad.:

Two Tactical Squads

• Dropped the Tarantula to spread the lascannons into these Squads which worked well enough. Gives me more coverage and redundancy too.

Bike Squad
Two Attack Bike Squads

• Tax units and they didn't do much other than defend an objective. TBF I can't use them right anyway... :blush.:
Edited by Jolemai

Battle Summary

Using my Troop spam – 2000 points Vs Necrons

Armies
Blood Angels

Captain (Veritas)
Sanguinary Priest (Angel's Wing)
Librarian (jump)
Sanguinary Guard
Terminator Squad
Company Anceint
Three Devastator Squads
Bolter Scout Squad
Shotgun Scout Squad
Two Tactical Squads
Bike Squad
Two Attack Bike Squads

Brigade – extra relics and DvoS = 11 CP

Necrons

Lord
Cryptek
Destroyers
Large Warrior Squad
Doomsday Ark
Two Tesseract Arks
Pylon

Super-heavy Auxilliary Detachment + Spearhead Detachement = 4 CP

Pregame

Mission is Roving Patrol (Chapter Approved 2017). Beta rules are in play. The mission requires your force to be split into roughly three groups. One of these in randomly determined to be your starting force, with the rest arriving from Reserves in T1 on a 3+ (unless you're arriving be Teleport, etc), or automatically in T2. Three objectives were placed, one in my deployment zone, one in my opponents, and on in the centre of the board.

gallery_62972_9890_198647.jpggallery_62972_9890_47460.jpg

Yes, that's a Tarantula being a bike again! :blush.:

My three groups were the Scouts and Bikes; Tacticals, Devastators, and foot characters; TDA, SG, jump characters. My middle choice was chosen and this setup in the middle of my deployment zone around my home objective.
The Necrons choices were: Destroyers and Cryptek; Pylon and Doomsday Ark; Tesseracts and Warriors. He ended up rolling for his first choice and they deployed opposite my blob on their home objective.

Oh, and I lose first turn...

The game

On the whole, the first turn was quite short. The Necrons were reinforced by the Warriors (who arrived in line with the central objective) and the Tesseract Arks which flanked them. The Destroyers moved up the board and everything shot at my Devastators causing numerous wounds as they were out in the open.
Electing to leave my jumpers and Terminators off until T2, I successfully rolled for my choppy Scouts (which arrived behind the silos out of sight), the Bikes (which arrived between the Devastators and Scouts) and the Attack Bikes (which I placed on the right flank by the Thunderhawk. I then promptly cursed the mission again as they had to arrive 6" on the board and couldn't Advance... Shooting-wise little of note happened other than a few Destroyers being blown out of the sky.

gallery_62972_9890_452322.jpg

T2 was somewhat more interesting. The Warriors continued their march towards the central objective and the Pylon and Doomsday Ark arrived on my opponenets right flank. They procedded to light up my Bikes and kill a few more Devastators.
My choppy Scouts advance towards the central objective and my Attack Bikes move up their flank taking pot shops where they can. The remaining Scouts arrive on the board to fill the gap where the previous ones were and what's left of the Devastators and Tacticals shoot down another Destroyer and take some wounds off the coloured Tesseract Ark. The Terminators arrive near the outermost Tesseract Ark, drown it in a hail or storm bolter fire and then finish off the remaining four wounds in combat :ohmy.: The SG and their entourage come down on the other flank with everything failing their charges except the Priest who engages the Doomsday Ark knocking off a wound in the process.

gallery_62972_9890_361411.jpg

T3 sees the Pylon blow up an Attack Bike and the Doomsday Ark move out of combat and knock a couple of wounds on the Characters. The Warriors kill a couple of Terminators as they continue their movement forward and the Destroyers still holding ground in the centre. Sadly the SG have now perished.
The Terminators continue towards the Warrirors killing a few more (but the heavy flamer – and a subsequent charge – are out of range). A lascannon hits home on the remianing Tesseract Ark leaving it on six wounds and the odd wound is put on the Destroyers as the Scouts continue towards the central Objective – which the remaining Attack Bike has now reached. Meanwhile, the Characters split their targets: the Librarian and Ancient engage the Doomsday Ark and plink off a few more wounds whilst the Captain and Priest engage the Pylon. With the help of stratagems the Captain generates seven hits which all wound and knock off a whopping 28 wounds! Sadly the Priest can't deal with the remaining two meaning the Captain has to use 3 CPs to down it otherwise it can act normally next turn, my Characters can still be shot at and, it would continue to give everything a 5++ within 6".

gallery_62972_9890_544213.jpg

T4 saw the Warrirors almost reach the central Objective and gun down my Terminators. The Doomsday Ark did it's trick again, moving out of combat to shoot things and I think my Librarian went down this turn.
In retaliation the remaining characters split up to deal with the tanks. Whilst my Captain dealt with the Tesseract Ark, the others still struggled with the Doomsday Ark. Elsewhere, I had Scouts on the Objective and a few made there way towards the Necrons to act as a speed bump, but they failed their charge.

gallery_62972_9890_382493.jpg

With the game potentially ending on T5, the Lord split off from the Warriors and occupied the home Objective, with the Warriors themselves getting stuck into the main group of Scouts. The Destroyers and Cyptek used Veil of Darkness and ported themselves away from the centre into my Deployment zone and continued to plink away at the models on my objective.
My Attack bike split off and went after the Destroyers, but was fairly ineffectual. The remianing heavy weapons took down the Doomsday Ark (which sadly killed the Priest in the explosion), allowing my Characters to engage and destroy the Lord on the other objective. Due to greater numbers, I currently hold all the objectives, but the game goes on to T6.

gallery_62972_9890_18061.jpg

In the last turn of the game, my Captain holds the Necron objective, allowing my Ancient to engage the Necrons in combat. This (along with the re-rolls, 5+++, and shenangans) keeps me ahead on numbers by 1 model. With both sides taking Linebreaker and First Blood going to the Necrons, The Blood Angels take it 10-2.

gallery_62972_9890_186656.jpggallery_62972_9890_181567.jpg