Vow two ready for undercoat. Arms and shoulders magnetised, brass etch added. As the BaC Contempt or only comes with a stormbolter on the power fist, I've made the fist part interchangeable with the chainfist arm (that arm has graviton (30k only) and melta options).

gallery_62972_9848_1307910.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Vow complete:

gallery_62972_9848_186770.jpg

Arms put on the other way to prove they are magnetised and I've left the melta gun bit on the base to prove that claim. Temporary base due to this model being moved up the paint list at the last minute and I base in batches. Oddly enough, it still matches most of my BA collection...

The model is quite easy to paint all in all but I did struggle a bit this ETL due to my Blood Red/Evil Sunz being on its last legs. It seems my white spray and Burnished Gold are on their way out too, as is my fine detail brush; but I can't do anything about it for a few months :/

Just to add, there's a reason for buying the lascannon arm other than ETL points. Perhaps some of you who view the PCA Forum will guess why that is ;)

Edited by Jolemai

• 5 weeks later...

So, here's the reason for the lascannon:

gallery_62972_9848_945815.jpg

So far I've cut the magnet holes on the frag launcher into a groove to allow the hinge of the lascannon arm to fit. Just need to build up the sides, add a magnet and find a suitable ammo hopper to put on the back

... and in unrelated news, our group's next Mega Apocalypse is scheduled for the 28th - 30th April 2017. It turns out that we've outgrown the Guard/Titan player's house so we've had to hire a venue. We've got free reign of the top floor in this place which is a craft beer place that's local to the majority of our group's members. £20 per person isn't too shabby either :)

So that gives me ca. six and a half months to prepare. Going to start off by getting things magnetised (one or two things blu-tacced is OK. A third of a 12k army is not...) but I've got no idea what else to get ready :unsure.:

..Going to start off by getting things magnetised (one or two things blu-tacced is OK. A third of a 12k army is not...) but I've got no idea what else to get ready :unsure.:

How often will you actually change load outs on stuff?

Stopping magnetising every single last thing really cleared my head space and sped up my hobby. I had magnet paralysis before. That's where my Eldar army stalled. 

A good question, but it's more the potential that I might.

Take the Stormraven. I've never swapped out the TLAC and TLMM but with the advent of DFtS, I might (when I actually sit down and bother to read/understand it). All the same, the Hurricanes need to be magnetised so it's a case of "I might as well whilst I'm here".

But then there's things that need doing. My Knight, Cerberus, Character arms need magnetising. I can't justify having eight different Sergeants when one will do given the plethora of parts at my disposal.

Basically, I can't get away with "model rep" anymore :(

Gotta say - reading the Article on Gav's Eldar army in WD (with out callouts, woo!) has really motivated me to paint for the Apoc ;)

The venue also looks amazing!

I've been on the receiving end of some of those models since 1996 :/

It's okay - we'll have a hopefully nasty formation to bring this time.

I am also going to invest in one big toy for it... Just deciding what. Much to Gav's annoyance though It probably won't be a titan.

I'd recommend that. The "organisers" are considering a SHV/GMC/Apoc Formation buy in this year, however, we've not really started the rules discussion(s) yet. Just dates and a venue.

Take the Stormraven. I've never swapped out the TLAC and TLMM but with the advent of DFtS, I might (when I actually sit down and bother to read/understand it). All the same, the Hurricanes need to be magnetised so it's a case of "I might as well whilst I'm here".

But then there's things that need doing. My Knight, Cerberus, Character arms need magnetising. I can't justify having eight different Sergeants when one will do given the plethora of parts at my disposal.

Basically, I can't get away with "model rep" anymore :sad.:

Don't change the sergeant parts?

Speaking from experience, I've magnetised a lot, and not once gave I actually swapped the loadout. This will change at somepoint due to me maximising points on my vanguard squad - a few of them need bolt pistols/chainswords instead of  everyone having a special weapon, but once in that config, they'll probably stay that way.

Of course, me wanting to finish a company plays into this.

I am also going to invest in one big toy for it... Just deciding what. Much to Gav's annoyance though It probably won't be a titan.

I'd recommend that. The "organisers" are considering a SHV/GMC/Apoc Formation buy in this year, however, we've not really started the rules discussion(s) yet. Just dates and a venue.

Just to add, don't get a 30k only SHV transport as your 40k stuff won't be able to use it - but I guess that's only a Stormblade?

As in everyone needs to run at least one etc?

Won't lie - depending on the new rules, I do only need one more storm raven to get that tasty assault from deep strike....

Just to add, don't get a 30k only SHV transport as your 40k stuff won't be able to use it - but I guess that's only a Stormblade?

Wallet/ Time/ Life willing, I was considering bringing both a 40k and 30k BA army... :devil:

If I really find the time I wouldn't mind getting Mortarion some purely broken Zone Mortalis action too with the Death Guard... But we'll see ;)

Edited by Charlo

Basically, I can't get away with "model rep" anymore :sad.:

Don't change the sergeant parts?

Speaking from experience, I've magnetised a lot, and not once gave I actually swapped the loadout. This will change at somepoint due to me maximising points on my vanguard squad - a few of them need bolt pistols/chainswords instead of everyone having a special weapon, but once in that config, they'll probably stay that way.

Of course, me wanting to finish a company plays into this.

You're probably right but I can't shake the "what if?" Thought. It's like my Knight. I glued the stubber ammo hopper on the gun meaning it is battle cqnnon onlu and I need to break it off to use the thermal cannon. Will I use it? Unlikely but I might if I ever make that super bike list or use it with another army...

To be honest, the whole scenario is daunting :(

• 2 weeks later...

I Jolemai, Reclusiarch of the B&C BA Sub-forum and first of his name, rise to the challenge of From Rage to Salvation and vow to complete one Stormraven Gunship with full magnetised options and one Death Company equipped with a thunder hammer on or before November 30th, 2016. Should I bring honour to the Blood Angels Chapter, I will proudly wear the IRATUS DOMINUS badge; should I fail I will display the CARCERES IRA on my chest as a reminder of my shame.

gallery_62972_9848_944880.jpg

As you can see, this needs a fair bit of work.

• (At least) two more layers of red
  • Metallics washed and re-drybrushed
  • Shades and highlights
  • Detail
  • Finish building it
  • Magnetisation (weapons - turret, hurricanes)
  • Basing

Yeah, I've got my work cut out for me here...

Blood Angels Vs Eldar – 1750 points

Nb: this game was done in June so it's using the older Formations from SoB: Exterminatus

Army Lists

Blood Angels
Combined Arms DetachmentGain Objective Secured on Troops; re-roll BRB Warlord traits
  • Sanguinary Priest - Warlord
  • Damocles Command Rhino
  • Dreadnought
  • Tactical Squad (Rhino)
  • Scout Squad
  • Devastator Squad
  • Aegis Defense Line (ADL) with quad gun

Archangels Orbital Intervention Force – One Reserve Roll for entire Formation; can run and shoot the turn they arrive

• Two Terminator Squads
  • Terminator Assault Squad

Inqusitorial Detahcment

• Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

gallery_62972_9890_835198.jpg

Eldar
Craftworld WarhostRun moves are automatically rolls of six
Pale Courts Battlehost: On Lonely Paths Guardians within 12” of Rangers gain Move Through Cover

• Farseer – Jetbike, Runes of Fate, Warlord
  • Three squads of Guardians
  • Two squads of Rangers
  • Warlock Conclave - Jetbikes

Aspect ShrineRites of Battle (+1 BS); Shrinekeepers (re-roll failed Fear, Morale and Pinning tests)

• Two squads of Warp Spiders
  • One squad of Fire Dragons

Aspect ShrineRites of Battle (+1 WS); Shrinekeepers (re-roll failed Fear, Morale and Pinning tests)

• Two squads of Striking Scorpions
  • One squad of Howling Banshees

gallery_62972_9890_887014.jpg

Deployment
Mission: Cleanse and Control
Setup: Vanguard Strike
The board is a Realm of Battle board with six tiles of the order:

ABC

DEF

There are hills on the external corners of tiles C and F, and there is a hill straddling the boundary of tiles A and B. All structures are ruins and follow the BRB rules for them, but the ground floor of a ruin offers no cover save or imposes no movement penalties. Ascending a floor is done via an access point or climbing the edges/through a window, descending is done via an access point of by jumping. There are two five floor ruins in the centre of the board connected with bridges and one in tile E. Tile D has a three floor ruin near its boundary with Tile A and there’s another three floor ruin on hill AB. Tile boundary BC has a two floor ruin and there’s a three floor ruin in the middle of tile C. Finally there’s an Imperial Statue on the tile F hill which affords the same cover save as everything else.
Objective (Obj) 1 is placed on hill AB while Obj2 is placed adjacent to the Imperial Statue. Obj3 is on the ground floor of the central building and Obj4 is on the top floor of tile E’s ruin. Obj5 sits underneath tile D’s ruin and Obj6 sits near to tile C’s ruin. Mysterious Objectives are in play.
In addition to Guide, the Farseer rolls Doom, Mind War and Fortune of the Runes of Fate table. The Warlock Conclave get Destructor/Renewer to compliment Conceal/Reveal of the Runes of Battle table.
The SP’s Warlord Traits were Conqueror of Cities (army has Move Through Cover [Ruins] and Stealth [Ruins]) and Divide and Conquer (-1 opponent Reserve Rolls); whilst the Farseer’s trait was Falcon’s Swiftness (+3 to run rolls).
Deploying first, the Blood Angels set up the ADL between the ruins in tiles D and E, with the quad gun in tile D. Adjacent to this is the Rhino with the Tactical Squad (which have split into Combat Squads) and the Dreadnought on the first floor (Obj5 revealed to be a Skyfire Nexus) The Damocles is behind the large ruin in tile E and the Devastators, SP and Inquisitor take up positions on the top floor of the same ruin next to Obj4 (Grav Wave Generator). The Servo Skulls are stretched across no-mans land with one being by Obj1, one being on the fourth floor of the middle ruin and one being near Obj2.
To counter this, the Eldar army sets up out of site. The first squad of Warp Spiders (WS1) sits being the ruin in tile A. The first squad of Rangers (R1) sets up in ruin BC with the Howling Banshees underneath, second squad of Guardians (G2) to the east and the second squad of Warp Spiders (WS2) behind. Huddled around the next building by Obj6 is the first squad of Guardians (G1), the Farseer and Warlock Council. In front of them is the Fire Dragons and right in the external corner of Tile C is the final squad of Guardians (G3)
The Blood Angels Scouts infiltrate as close to the middle ruin as they can whilst the second squad of Rangers (R2) get themselves out of sight by the Imperial Statue. Both squads of Striking Scorpions but themselves into the BA deployment zone on the boundary of tile EF. The Scouts make their Scout move up to the first floor of the ruin and as dawn approaches, the Blood Angels get the first turn.

gallery_62972_9890_485700.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_469576.jpg

Turn One
Blood Angels
~ The following Tactical Objectives (TO) are drawn: 42 (Behind Enemy Lines), 44 (Ascendency) and 45 (Supremacy)
~ The Damocles moves towards the BA board edge to get line of sight on the Scorpions. The Combat Squad without any special weapons disembark their Rhino and head over to the quad gun while the Scouts move onto Obj3 (Grav-wave Amp). Everything else stays put.
~ The Scouts gun down a Banshee, the Devastators pick off two from G1 and the Damocles takes out one Scorpion from the nearest squad.
~ TOs 44 and 45 are turned in for 1 VP apiece.
Eldar
~ TOs Eldar 11 (Legacy of Sorrow), 25 (Claim Objective 5) and 26 (Claim Objective 6) are drawn
~ G2 moves into range of the Devastators and the Farseer moves into casting range of them. The Howling Banshees advance on the Scouts with WS2 in tow, and both squads of Scorpions moves towards the ruin occupied by the Devastators. The Fire Dragons move into cover, R2 uncovers Obj2 (nothing of note) and G3 advances towards Obj6. Lastly WS1 moves towards the Combat Squad.
~ Doom is cast on the Scouts, Guide on G2 and Fortune on the Farseer’s squad
~ WS1 kill two Marines from the Combat Squad who proceed to flee 8” and WS2 move towards the Scouts. Both the Fire Dragons and G2 enter cover and G3 moves onto Obj6 (Skyfire Nexus) Both squads of Striking Scorpions advance on the Devastators and finally, the Farseer squad turbo boost over to Obj1.
~ The Howling Banshees wipe the Scouts in combat (First Blood)
~ TO’s 11 and 26 are claimed for 1 VP apiece.
BA: 2-3 :Eldar

gallery_62972_9890_1623157.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_586922.jpg

Turn Two
Blood Angels
~ TOs 24 (Claim Objective 4) and 26 (Claim Objective 6) are drawn
~ The Combat Squad auto-rally and advance on WS1 with the Dreadnought in tow, the Damocles gets into cover
~ The Damocles kills one from G2 and one from WS2 with its orbital bombardment. The Devastators kill a Banshee
~ The Combat Squad charge the Warp Spiders and die to Overwatch…
~ TO 24 is cashed in for 1 VP
Eldar
~ TOs E14 (Guardians of the Hidden Path) and 23 (Claim Objective 3) are drawn
~ Pretty much everything moves towards the Devastator Squad except for WS2 which moves towards Obj3
~ Doom is cast on the Devastators, Guide on G2 and Fortune on the Farseer (and squad)
~ WS1 pops the Damocles whilst R2, G2 and G3 kill five Devastators. The Farseer and Banshees move into cover and the Scorpions close the distance between themselves and the remaining devastators
~ TOs E14 and 23 are claimed for 1 VP apiece
BA: 3-5 :Eldar

gallery_62972_9890_1116980.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_1168097.jpg

Turn Three
Blood Angels
~ TO 31 (Claim Objective 3) is drawn
~ The Terminator squad with heavy flamer (THF) arrives behind G2, the one with the assault cannon (TAC) teleports in behind G1 and the Terminator Assault Squad (TAS) to the side of G3. The Inquisitor detaches from the Devastators and the Rhino moves towards Obj1
~ WS1 Flickerjump out of line of sight as the plasma gun Marine kills himself… THF purge eight from G2, TAC take six from G3 and the Devastators kill one from SS1. The Rhino moves Flat Out onto Obj1 (nothing of note)
~ TOs 26, 31 and 42 are claimed for 1 VP each
Eldar
~ TOs 23 (Claim Objective 2) and 34 (Claim Objective 4) are drawn
~ G1 runs off the board. G2, WS2, the Banshees and the Fire Dragons head towards TAC. WS1 advances on the Dreadnought. SS1 goes for the Inquisitor and SS2 goes after the Devastators via the floor above.
~ Doom is cast on THF, Fortune on the Farseer (and squad)
~ WS1 pops the Rhino whilst G2 and G3 bag a Terminator each from THF WS2 and the Fire Dragons kill seven from TAC and Rangers kill one from TAS. SS1 gun down the Inquisitor. The Farseer boosts over to Obj2.
~ SS2 engage the Devastators wiping the squad and the Sanguinary Priest (Slay the Warlord). WS1 jump into cover
~ TOs 32 and 34 claimed for 1 VP apiece
BA: 6-8 :Eldar

gallery_62972_9890_1329654.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_1528716.jpg

Turn Four
Blood Angels
~ TOs 34 (Claim Objective 4), 43(Hold the Line) and 46 (Dominion) are drawn
~ TAS moves towards R1, TAC advances on some Guardians
~ TAC kill two Guardians
~ The Dreadnought swats 2 from WS1 who flee 11”. TAS butcher R1 in combat
~ TO 46 is discarded
Eldar
~ TOs E15 (Strands of Fate) and 31 (Claim Objective 1) are drawn
~ WS1 rally and everything advances on the Terminator squads
~ Doom is cast on T3, the Farseer then suffers a Perils of the Warp, rolls Warp Surge and passed the Leadership test…
~ The Banshees and Rangers kill two from THF, whilst the Fire Dragons and WS2 combine to eliminate TAS. WS1 then advance on and kill the remaining Tactical Squad.
~ TOs E15 and 31 are claimed for 1 VP apiece
BA: 6-10 :Eldar

Turn Five
BA concedes.

Edited by Jolemai

So, a quick summary of that list:

In general Whipped out the Apoc scenery (what? It's really cool) but five floors of ruins probably hindered the match despite my Warlord Trait being favourable. The list is supposed to be static and one where I used a lot of my "benched" models, the trouble is the OIF (from SoB:Exterminatus) doesn't do enough damage on arrival to warrant that many points being held back and it also really exposes how static the firebase is. Going forward I'll need to reconfigure the list but I'm not prepared to give up on it yet.

Oh, this was also the game where my opponent started to use his Jetseer correctly (move, cast, turbo into cover, rinse and repeat) and not nuking him from the off didn't help at all.

Combined Arms DetachmentGain Objective Secured on Troops; re-roll BRB Warlord traits Mainly for the stategic table fun but the trouble was getting the +1 ruins trait meant that I was more tempted to go in the ruins... Not sure if there's a better Detachment for this list right now.

• Sanguinary Priest - Warlord Cheap, VV caddy and there to keep the Devs alive. Probably needs some combat prowess/deterrant going forward

• Damocles Command Rhino Completely messed this up. Got tempted the encroaching Scorpion bate when I should have tried to nuke the Farseer. Better skull placement would have helped in this regard

• Dreadnought Rifleman Dreadnought, didn't do a great deal

• Tactical Squad (Rhino) Think I was in two minds at how to use these guys. Plasma cannon didn't do a great deal either. Probably best to consider the loadout

• Scout Squad Too aggressive. Grabbed an Objective and died but not sure what else they could have done

• Devastator Squad Lascannon did well on his debut but otherwise nothing to write home about this load out works best for stripping void shield so I need to reconfigure for regular games

• Aegis Defense Line (ADL) with quad gun Barely used and shows how situation it can be (i.e. it wasn't needed)

Archangels Orbital Intervention Force – One Reserve Roll for entire Formation; can run and shoot the turn they arrive

• Two Terminator Squads
  • Terminator Assault Squad

Pretty much sum this one up in one go as they did what was said on the tin. Looking forward to trying this with the new rules in Angel's Blade. Also was possibly too aggressive but given how slow they are I'm not sure what choice I had or where better I could have placed them...

Inqusitorial Detahcment

• Ordo Xenos Inquisitor The big one here was that I messed up the servo skulls placement. I should have put the middle one lower down for better coverage and possibly better arranged the other two. Not sure if he's really worth it as a barebones skull caddy.
Edited by Jolemai

Apocalypse 2017 update

Point 1 - We're at eight players confirmed - 2 x BA, Eldar, IG & Titans, Chaos & Orks, Tau, RG, and IH
Point 2 - The chap with a few Ravenguard and an Imperial Knight has gone and purchased a Thunderhawk... :blink.:

As for me, like I said over in BA Today I've got a bunch of stuff that needs its blu tac removed (so fixing/magnetising) before I plan on painting anything else. So the rest of this year will likely be sorting/finishing my Stormraven -> Cerberus -> Imperial Knight. Then comes Xmas and ideally, I want to get something in for the Apoc (note, not a SHV). Here's what I'll have at my disposal Formation wise, along with the rules:

• Battle Company (Apocalypse) has Counter Attack, Tau-style Overwatch support at 12", Stubborn (within 12" of Objectives) and a "free" Orbital Bombardment.
  • Librarian Conclave (Apocalypse) has a WC 4 Vortex spell - I'm going to place them in a Drop Pod and give one a vortex grenade too :devil:
  • Masters of the Chapter (Apocalypse) Dante and four Captains have a combined Finest Hour (when the Warlord uses it, this squad all get a 3++), generate three Strategic Resources in the first break (this is huge) and one thereafter.
  • The Black Rage (Apocalypse) Death Company get bonus attacks equal to the turn number instead of Rage
  • Predator Assassin Squadron (Apocalypse) is basically when an Annihilator hits with all its lascannons it can resolve it as a STR D shot (it also gets re-rolls)
  • Armoured Vanguard Squadron (Apocalypse Warzone Damocles) gives the Rhinos/Razorbacks taken Tank Hunter and Assault Vehicle rules (!)
  • Suppression Force (Apocalypse Warzone Damnos) is a better version of the C:SM one
  • Codex: Assassins Formation as the Apocalypse one is broken now.

With everything else going into regular Detachments. Here are my options (note I'll probably only have time to paint one):

• Paint up another Command Squad to add to Masters of the Chapter (provided I get permission from the group - long story)
  • Acquire another Vindicator and paint it and my other unpainted one up to use the Vindicator Linebreaker Formation from Damnos (better than the squadron one)
  • Thunderhawk kitbash - no, really - but this will be pushing it cost and time wise.
  • Two squads of SG and the Sanguinor :dry.: to do the Golden Host
  • Second Stormraven for a Flyer Wing
  • More Scouts :dry.: to WYSIWYG the 10th company Formation
  • Other
Edited by Jolemai