... you actually caught his farseer?  How'd you manage that?

Also, did the Crimson Hunters not come in until turn 4?  That was a boon for you...

I set my list up to get in my opponent's face as soon as possible. As it happened, I was up against a force that wants to kite you and on a Hammer and Anvil Deployment (i.e. short edges). Combine this with the first turn nuking of the Warlock Council and the Farseer had nowhere to go and be able to cast offensively (he wanted to use a boosted Eldritch Storm). So he moved 12", cast the spell (and took another wound), then boosted away. (Think he forgot the extra move in the Assault Phase). My Chaplain was in range and just made it into combat.

Basically, I'm not going to be able to get away with this again! Ideally, I wanted to take him out in the alpha strike but his Deployment meant my Scouts weren't in range and Death Company Dreadnoughts aren't the best on the drop (maybe I need to take a heavy flamer with them...)

Metallic Red update

Following the viva metallica guide on the previous page I applied a coat of Red Wash over my "metallic pink" Techmarine...

gallery_62972_9848_602194.jpg

... and followed this up with a second coat which I'm happy with:

gallery_62972_9848_1013014.jpg

So he just needs the detail doing now. In theory, I can probably apply this to my other Techmarine and get him up to this standard - but that's an update for another day.

Battle Summary

on the above game:

Death Company Chaplain

• Despite their inflexibility, they were quite useful in shooting at the Flyers! Otherwise, they did as expected. Having one lag behind the rest of the army was a tad annoying but otherwise not a problem. Can't say I noticed the advantage over a regular Chaplain in this game (bar the shooting mentioned above)

Death Company

• Got the Deployment wrong on one of them which meant they had to walk for a turn or two, but other than that they worked as expected. Despite the jump packs they were still kited by the Vypers late on which was annoying. Nothing of note on the weapon choices, but things still tend to be dead before my INT 1 weapons get to do anything. I'd like to drop them but that one time you do you'll be wishing you had them...

Death Company Dreadnought

• Still not got the hang of this guy. Dropped him into cover and he lasted long enough but he's so slow and didn't make it into combat again. To be fair, I should have risked moving him earlier on before the Crimson Deaths arrived. Don't like having to choose between a magna grapple and smoke launchers. as the latter may have helped (would have meant a dithering toss up between running and popping smoke though...). Too aggresive and he dies. Too conservative and... he dies :dry.: Probably better suited to my other DC list but I don't want to drop him...

Scouts

• Scouts and combi-gravs are a good idea. Toss in Precision Shots and it seems even better until you realise it's a 1/6 chance. Still, they took out the Warlock Council which was the main thing and got some bonus jetbike kills. I like the 10th Company Formation even if combat Scouts aren't the most optimal choice for it. List certainly benefitted from its inclusion (and not just for the LBTF bonus)

Eversor

• It did something! Low threat priority during the game but not enough ranged output for this list? Might give the Cullexus a whirl next time. That said, I was happy with it despite its quiet regular 40k debut.

LBTF

• Tactics to overload at the start worked well, although another list may have counted this and I'd have had to deployed more conservative. Infiltrate + bonus move is great for getting into range - just a shame you can't charge. If we'd have deployed differently I'd have still gotten away with it but if the VV trick hadn't worked then I'd have had to attempt a refused flank or some-such... Not sure I've have survived if the jetbikes had played to their strengths
  • Possibly need some genuine anti-air. Got away with the gamble but only because I'd generated so many points prior to their arrival. -1 Reserves helped too :laugh.:
  • Alpha striking the Jetseer is a must for all my games against Eldar now as I can't afford to let him run riot... I'd have struggled with a bubble wrap though
  • Performance was fine despite the usual dithering and uncertainties. Need to cut them from my game. No glaring errors this time though
Edited by Jolemai

Sounds solid!

I think against most opponents (Bar Eldar and Tau) being so agressive means something is going to survive and start dealing damage in melee turn 2 onwards, as they don't have the speed to get away. A Tau gunline presents similar problems but cover & FNP can mitigate some of that.

Even a lone scout can straight up murder a unit of Eldar with little effort. A lone DC? Khaine help the poor soul (stone)!

The DC dread is pretty similar in my experience - a single one just isn't enough and that turn sat with his claw up his exhaust getting shot is just not fun.... Especially with AV12 and guided scatter lasorz about :(

I run the chaplain dreadnought with a flame storm cannon arm and call it a furioso with frag cannon. Everyone I've played said it was a good counts as and appreciated the fluffy attempt to differentiate dreadnoughts.

Chaplain dread with flamestorm cannon? 0_o

Why have I never heard of this!?

I run the chaplain dreadnought with a flame storm cannon arm and call it a furioso with frag cannon. Everyone I've played said it was a good counts as and appreciated the fluffy attempt to differentiate dreadnoughts.

Chaplain dread with flamestorm cannon? 0_o

Why have I never heard of this!?

... because Blood Angels can't use them (hence the counts-as Furioso suggestion). The rules are in Imperial Armour volume 2 Second Edition. 

Chaplain Dreadnought

Inferno cannon

Stormraven Update

Interior shot using an new approach:

gallery_62972_9848_575527.jpg

Rather than layering Bleached Bone over Snakebite Leather and leaving the brown showing in the recess, I've fully covered it in bone and applied Chestnut Ink into the recess. Needs a tad more practice but this should be faster in the long run.

Weapon select:

gallery_62972_9848_284930.jpg

Fully magnetised turret weaponry, pinned hurricane bolters. The nose weapons just pop into place. The red still needs highlighting but it done. Will probably turn the typhoon missile rim red too as black doesn't seem to fit. Probably needs some metallic in the recess too.

Edited by Jolemai

• 4 weeks later...

Xmas gift WIP time!

May have mentioned this one a few times...

gallery_62972_9848_1001002.jpg

Have you guess what it is yet?

also:

Blood Champion

So I need a second Command Squad for my Apocalypse game which means I've got an excuse to put together the Command Squad box I've got lurking around (well, I'll be using the Champion, Priest and Banner models initially). Also, with the advent of the Blood Angels Command Squad bundle (note: UK link!), I've taken inspiration for the Champion and mixed in the BA upgrade sprue:

gallery_62972_9848_832456.jpg

Need to finish the pose and I may add more bling/robes (my original one is robed and I'd like some consistency, but then, each Marine is his own guy so...) I'm undecided what base to put him on. Pretty much my entire collection is on 25 mm but I plan on moving my Characters to 32 mm. As he's the equivalent of a Sergeant, I'm unsure at the moment what to give him...

Edited by Jolemai

Just to add, the reason the champion looks odd in the picture is that I've been trying out undercoating models on the sprues in a bid to speed things up. On tanks it's a great idea. Troops, not so much (especially when I've got to go back and sort out mould lines I couldn't see beforehand...) Also sprayed one of my BaC Tactical sprues as I need some of them too.

Take a Tactical Squad, would it look odd if the Sergeant was on a 32 mm and the rest weren't? I'd do it with an Inquisitor warband (Inquisitor on 32 mm and the rest on 25 mm makes sense) but a squad of Marines? At least it would be consistent across the board if I did everything like that...

Be wary. Once you put one guy on 32mm and see how awesome it looks, you'll want to rebase your entire army.

Too much hassle given the size of my collection. I suppose, eventually, I'll do what I've done with my old Terminators and stack them...