Final seventh edition 40k match:

Blood Angels Death Company Vs Imperial Knights - 1850 points

Army Lists

Blood Angels

Flesh Tearers Strike Force – Lord of Cretacia (re-roll FT Warlord Traits); Explosion of Bloodlust (Rage on a charge roll of 10+)

• Chaplain - Warlord
  • Scout Squad
  • Assault Squad (Drop Pod)
  • Predator (Autolas)
Strike Force Mortalis – Crusader; Fury of the Forlorn (basically, Rampage)
  • Chaplain
  • Two squads of Death Company (Rhino)
  • One squad of Death Company
  • Death Company Dreadnought (Drop Pod)
  • Death Company Dreadnought
  • Stormraven Gunship
Oathsworn Detachment
  • Imperial Knight Paladin
gallery_62972_9890_181761.jpg

Imperial Knights

Household Detachment – Objective Secured; Knight Commander (re-roll IK Warlord Traits); Lord Baron (Warlord becomes a Character, can take Heirlooms of the Knightly houses, gains +1 WS & BS)

• Warden – Warlord/Baron
  • Two Gallants
  • Errant
  • Paladin
Deployment

Mission: Tactical Escalation

Setup: Dawn of War

The board is a Realm of Battle board with six tiles of the order:

ABC

DEF

There are hills on all the external corners. All structures are ruins and follow the BRB rules for them, but the ground floor of a ruin offers no cover save or imposes no movement penalties. Ascending a floor is done via an access point or climbing the edges/through a window, descending is done via an access point of by jumping. Tiles A has a ruin on it's a boundary to Tile B and a crashed lander on it's boundary to Tile D. Tile B has a ruin near its board edge whilst tile C has a forest on its boundary to Tile F and the rest of the lander at its internal corner that stretches into Tiles E and F. Tile D has forest that's near its internal corner and there's a large ruin in the middle of Tile E.

Obj1 is on the crashed Lander that stretches over Tiles C, E, and F. Obj2 is on boundary of Tiles A and B close to the ruin and Obj3 is nestled into Tile E's ruin. Obj 4 is by the statue, Obj5 is in Tile C-F's forest and Obj 6 is out in the open near the centre of Tile A. Mysterious Objectives are not in play.

The Chaplain’s Warlord Trait was Conqueror of Cities (Move Through Cover [Ruins] and Stealth [Ruins]), whilst the Baron's trait was Knight Seneschal (+1 attack for the Baron). Death from the Skies content was not in use.

Deploying first, the Blood Angels set up the Knight and Predator in Tile A, with the Predator using the Knight as cover. Both Rhinos start behind the trees in Tile D. The Stormraven (with the third Death Company squad and second Death Company Dreadnought), and the two Drop Pods (DCD 1 and RAS respectively) start in Reserve .

The Knights deploy in a line along the edge of their deployment zone in the order Gallant 2 (G2) → Gallant 1 (G1) → Errant . The Paladin starts in the middle of Tile C and the Baron starts in the middle of Tile F

The Scouts start just behind Tile E's ruin.

gallery_62972_9890_299901.jpg

Turn One

Blood Angels

~ Tactical Objective (TO) 32 (Secure Objective 2) is drawn

~ The Pod with the RAS arrives behind the Errant. The Knight and Predator advance towards G2 whilst the Rhinos skirt around the forest to the “southern” board edge.

~ RAS and Predator combine to knock 2 HP off the Errant

~ TO 32 is claimed for 1 VP

Imperial Knights

~ TO 44 (Ascendency) is drawn

~ G1 heads towards the Drop Pod, with G2 moving to engage the BA Knight

~ The Errant nukes a Rhino containing the DC and non-Warlord Chaplain (DCC). The Baron takes 1 HP off the other Rhino and wipes the RAS (First Blood)

~ The Baron pops the Drop Pod in Tile F

~ TO 44 is claimed for 2 VP

BA: 1-3 :IK

gallery_62972_9890_640816.jpg

Turn Two

Blood Angels

~ TOs 25 (Secure Objective 5) and 46 (Domination) are drawn

~ The DC with the Warlord (DCW) disembark and the Rhino heads towards Obj5, while the Scouts move into the Ruins in Tile E. The Stormraven enters play and moves centrally towards the Errant. Both the Knight and Predator head towards G1

~ The Stormraven knocks 1 HP off the Errant and the Predator matches this damage on G1

~ The Knight charges and quickly dispatches G1 for no return damage (!)

Imperial Knights

~ TOs 55 (Psychological Warfare) and 66 (big Game Hunter) are drawn

~ Both G1 and the Paladin advance, whilst the Baron sidesteps for a better firing position...

~ However, only 1 DC dies to the Baron's fire and the Paladin knocks 1 HP off the Stormraven

~ The Errant charges the DC and kills two more

~ TO 55 is discarded

BA: 1-3 :IK

gallery_62972_9890_963452.jpg

Turn Three

Blood Angels

~ TO 33 (Secure Objective 3) is drawn

~ The Pod with the second Death Company Dreadnought (DCD2) arrives behind the Baron. The Stormraven enters Hover mode to allow DCD1 and it's DC cargo to disembark towards the Errant

~ G1 loses 1 HP from combined fire.

~ The Scouts, DC and DCD1 charge the Errant, with DCD1 doing the 2 HP needed to destroy it. The Knight charges the Paladin doing 1 HP but taking one in return, with the Paladin's stomp attack managing to catch and wreck the nearby DP and DCD2... 0.o

~ TO 33 is claimed for 1 VP, and 46 is discarded

Imperial Knights

~ TOs 32 (Secure Objective 2) and 53 (No Prisoners) are drawn

~ G1 shuffles into a better position to reach the Stormraven

~ A squad of DC are wiped out from shooting and the DCD looses an arm.

~ G1 charges the Stormraven and wrecks it. The BA Knight and Paladin destroy each other.

~ TOs 53 and 66 are both claimed for two VP apiece.

BA: 2-6 :IK

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Turn Four

Blood Angels

~ TOs BA13 (Purity Through Bloodshed), 45 (Supremacy) and 61 (Kingslayer) are drawn

~ Remaining DC head towards G2 whilst the Predator draws a bead on the Baron

~ Ineffective shooting

~ The DC charge and knock 3 HP off the Gallant. In return the DCD and Chaplain (Warlord) perish (Slay the Warlord)

~TO 45 is cashed in for 3 VP

Imperial Knights

~ TOs IK12 (Duel of Honour), IK15(Honour of the House), 22 (Secure Objective 2) and 24 (Secure Objective 4) are drawn

~ G1 advances on the Predator, the Baron goes after the Rhino

~ The remaining DC are removed from the game by the Baron

~ The Rhino is charged and destroyed by the Baron, whilst the Gallant charges and takes out the Predator

~ TO IK15 is claimed generating 3 VP

BA: 5-14 :IK

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Turn Five

Blood Angels

~ The Scouts charge the Gallant and explode it with a melta bomb, but they all die in the ensuing explosion.

Edited by Jolemai

Not going to bother with a review as it's all change now. However, my Paladin munching through two Knights was ace (it's what she does best) and my Scout Sergeant taking out a Knight was brilliant (I'm going to miss melta bombs in combat). Looking forward to persisting with this list in 8th!

I think I recognise those models!

Thought you might :wink: As it turns out, you were absolutely caning me on points - it was table you or bust!

It was the 5th knight. Turned the tide.

I haven't made a knight list for 8th yet but I think I can only get 4 in a 2k army now.

Trying to decide what to do next.

Basically I was working on my bikes but I had to pack them and all my painting stuff away* when I went to WHW. Essentially this means I've got a clean slate for the two months prior to the start of From Rage to Salvation. Do I:

• Carry on with the bikes
  • Work on (and maybe finish) my Knights
  • Do some scenery
  • Other

Half tempted to leave the bikes for the RTS but I was going to use it to finish off a bunch of characters... Other could be anything from finishing off my myriad of half jobs to even doing non-BA stuff :ohmy.:

* Four kids aged 6, 5, 5, & 1 running rampant whilst I'm off for the weekend? I should have bought door locks.

Spoilsports :teehee:

Right, I've got the following in the WIP cabinet* what would you like to see next?

• Stormraven
  • Cypher
  • Inquisitor
  • Dante
  • Games Day Captain
  • Karlaen
  • Bikes (that's six and an Attack Bike)
  • Librarian on bike
  • Aegis Defense Line & quad gun
  • Imperial Knight base
  • Astorath
  • Air Defence Command Platform
  • Talisman toad x4

* Long story, suffice to say if it's up there the toddler can't reach it and the rest of it is full of junk...

Astorath and Karlaen will be the easiest to make a huge impact on your games. Asian because of his rules, Karlaen because captains are great buffers now, and thunder hammer and storm bolter is a good load out for combat and counter charges. Edited by Father Mapple

That base looks great! I'm on my phone and can't check now, but do you have your basing technique detailed in here? If not, can you share it? I'm not sure how I feel about my "urban" bases...

Well, first you need to settle on something to add to your base. I've genuinely got no idea what I use* but the nearest equivalent I've seen is some flower pot stones found at garden centres. This I add to a base using PVA and then seal it with watered down PVA. This is preferably undercoated whatever colour I'm using and turned a dark grey (most of the time I use Codex Grey (Dawnstone); the Stormraven base being larger allowed me to spray it with Halford's Grey Primer). Then I wash it with Nuln Oil (this is actually a new step but I like the look so...) and drybrush it with Codex Grey, then Fortress Grey (Administratum Grey), then Bleached bone (Ushabti Bone).

On my models I don't mind it "splashing" on their legs as the colours appear to me as a clay-like mud. I paint the rims Goblin Green (Warboss Green) as it is a nod back to my older bases and it blends in my vision on how I want my terrain to be (overgrown, muddy, forgotten - I have a lot of ruins).

* Seriously no idea. It's a packaging material for chemicals; gold-coloured and lightweight, it was often found to keep glass vials from breaking in metal cans or in large boxes to stop things from rattling around. Going to be really sad when I finally run out

It looks good but could do with some colour - so as Lemartes suggested a dead Xeno or misc battlefield debris (Rhino door, weapons etc) - anything you can splash a bit of colour on. Tufts of grass or shrubbery would be another option, and the green would contrast nicely with the red of the model itself.

Does dry brushing grey with bone work? I Would use longbeard grey or even white.
Maybe bring the blocks up to a lighter grey or even a blue grey.

If you don't want to add anything extra to get more colour in then spot around some brown and sepia wash before the final highlight.

Thanks!

If you think the base is still missing something, maybe add a dead/dying guy? I think some Blood for the Blood God would look great on there. Other options may be to paint hazard stripes on the barricades or maybe add part of a destroyed vehicle? 

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

You know, a nice Biel-Tan green Eldar or five would look great strewn across the base ;)

Hazard striped are a great idea too.