It's that time of year again...

RTS Vow 1

I, Reclusiarch Jolemai, first of his name, wish to requite my past failings and recover my honour by completing one Land Speeder Typhoon with multi-melta and one Whirlwind with searchlight from ETL 1 on or before November 30th, 2017. During this time I shall were the insignia of the Death Company, only to be cast aside once my shame is finally avenged.

gallery_62972_9848_474365.jpg

Interesting how orange the light has made these look... Basically they need a second coat of red and the other colour basecoats finishing, before shading, detail, highlights, etc. I also want to magnetise the Typhoon but as the missiles are metal (yes, I've had it that long) that's probably the reason why it's not been done yet. However, I've got a few ideas which might work, namely sticking a large magnet inside and hoping it holds...

I'm also umming and arring about pulling the Whirlwind apart, painting the inside (I did this tank before I started painting interiors, so it's the only one not done and it makes me sad), and making it able to switch to a Rhino if and when needs be.

I'm also umming and arring about pulling the Whirlwind apart, painting the inside (I did this tank before I started painting interiors, so it's the only one not done and it makes me sad), and making it able to switch to a Rhino if and when needs be.

no

Well that settles it, she's going in the freezer tonight :wink:

Stormraven base

I added some paint and ink (chestnut from some advice elsewhere) and left it for a while. Recently I've come back a bit more confident and added some bullet holes and chips as per below:

gallery_62972_11196_8244.jpg

Just need to work out how to paint the bullet holes. Thinking black (maybe an ink?) to represent las blasts? I also plan on flicking a tiny amount of red ink onto them to finish them off.

Yes. A black wash would be best. Also if you want to be extra fancy do a fine highlight very light grey around the bottom.

If your red is blood splatter I doubt the colour on the wash will be strong enough. My guess is it will look like you got it on there by mistake. Its not something i've tried though so I could be wrong.

no

Well that settles it, she's going in the freezer tonight :wink:

Only when you the rest of your army is painted you should start to think about pulling the painted one apart.

RTS vow

Magnet solution...

gallery_62972_9848_9273.jpg

5 X 1 mm on the engine, same on the missiles with some green stuff to help things fit better. Basically I needed to pad out the one vertical (the difference on the assembled model isn't really noticeable) and both missiles needed raising for a flush fit.

The doors are some sprue (FW resin "tubes" - the part which attaches something small to a block) cut to size with some magnetic sheet metal (bottom of a Pringles tube) added.

Works so far. Next time bigger metal bits may be better.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of quick battle reports (read: not my usual standard) from my first ever games of 40k 8th edition.

Blood Angels Vs Harlequins - 500 points

This game is against the B&C's GawFang.

Army Lists

Patrol Detachment

• Corbulo - Warlord

• Scout Squad

• Attack Bike

• Death Company with Razorback

Harlequins

Patrol Detachment

• Trope Master – Warlord

• Two Tropes

• Shadowseer

Deployment

Mission: Retrieval Mission

Setup: Dawn of War

On the Tau board at Warhammer World. This one was quite open bar a few trees and the odd bunker. Four objectives were placed around the board. The BA Scouts deployed on an Objective near their deployment zone, whilst the Attack Bike and Assback (containing Corbulo and the Death Company) deployed on the other side. Opposing them sat the Harlequins all clustered up. The Harlequins got first turn.

gallery_62972_9890_64483.jpg

Turn One

T1 for the Harlequins was over quickly as they advanced on the Blood Angels

The Scouts reacted by moving into line of sight of their quarry whilst the Assback and Attack Bike stayed at range picking off the odd Harlequin.

gallery_62972_9890_1123734.jpg

Turn Two

Rinse and repeat for the Harlequins, with the odd spell thrown in for good measure

Scouts moved closer for a better angle, and a couple more xenos died to combined fire. DC alighted their transport but failed their charge.

gallery_62972_9890_1013444.jpg

Turn Three

Harlequins charged. Brutal. Only Corbulo and one DC survive. Razorback and Attackbike get pulled into combat but less than a handful of Harlequins are beaten.

gallery_62972_9890_37849.jpg

Turn Four

Scouts head back to their Objective. Combat continues with Corbulo and DC perishing (Slay the Warlord and First Blood). The Shadowseer dies leaving two from each Trope and the Master remaining.

gallery_62972_9890_1012729.jpg

Turn Five

Scout reach the safety of their Objective. Razor disengages with two wounds left, but the Attack Bike is destroyed.

gallery_62972_9890_1145209.jpg

Harlequins have Linebreaker and the Scouts have the only Objective of the game.

Harlequins – 3:3 – Blood Angels

Blood Angels Vs Space Marines - 500 points

This game is against the B&C's Olis.

Army Lists

Patrol Detachment

• Corbulo - Warlord

• Scout Squad

• Attack Bike

Space Marines

Patrol Detachment

• Techmarine – Warlord

• Two Tactical Squads

• One Assault Squad

• One Scout Squad

• One squad of Company Veterans

Deployment

Mission: Tactical Escalation

On the Tau board at Warhammer World. This one had the centre complex with trees and the odd building surrounding the perimeter wall. Six objectives were placed around the board. The BA Scouts deployed onto the building roof near the center of the board, whilst the Attack Bike deployed in the trees on the right hand side of their deployment zone. The Assback (containing Corbulo and the Death Company) deployed behind the perimeter wall and relatively central . The Marines' Scouts sat on an Objective opposite the Attack Bike. The Veterans were at the forefront and near Objective 1, with the two Tactical Squads fanned out around them. Behind that, sat the Techmarine and the RAS.

gallery_62972_9890_91397.jpg

Turn One

The Marine Scouts are purged (First Blood) as the Assback moves closer to the action. In retaliation, the Marines advance on their quarry whilst plinking off a few wounds from the Assback despite its cover.

gallery_62972_9890_251030.jpg

Turn Two

The Attack Bike makes a dash for the free Objective, but is headed off by the Marine RAS. One of the Tactical Squads perishes, but so does the Assback which disgorges its cargo near the perimieter wall.

gallery_62972_9890_509067.jpg

Turn Three

The Death Company get a charge off on the Tactical Squad and destroy them with ease, but this leaves them at the mercy of the Company Veterans who offer no remorse as they gun them down. Meanwhile, the BA Scouts have sniped the Techmarine (Slay the Warlord) and the Attack Bike has engaged the RAS in combat.

gallery_62972_9890_971494.jpg

Turn Four

Despite being up on secondaries, the Blood Angels were behind on primaries and needed to land some objectives. With the tower being so high, it was decided to treat it like a vehicle (so you embark it for a turn and disembark it the following turn) – hence why the BA Scouts are lying down. Meanwhile the Attack Bike is destroyed in combat leaving three RAS alive

gallery_62972_9890_50124.jpg

Turn Five

The BA Scouts disembark from the tower and get to work, but are eventually beaten in combat by the remnants of a Tactical Squad. Of the Marine force, there are three RAS, three Tactical Marines and two Company Veterans left alive.

gallery_62972_9890_590328.jpg

Marines win.

Here's one for GawFang...

RTS vow

So basically I'm working on getting the interior of the Whirlwind up to speed (for when it's a Rhino). This is my fifth bone interior and for the first three I went black undercoat -> Snakebite Leather -> Bleached Bone (layered on leaving brown in the recess) which was quite time consuming, For the last one I painted the bone on and then ran Chestnut Ink into the crevices which worked fine. However, Snakebite Leather doesn't really like a black undercoat and Bleached Bone doesn't like Snakebite Leather (on large areas anyway).

This time it's as follows: Halford's grey undercoat -> Beastial Brown (brown goes over a grey undercoat amazingly and in new money this becomes a base paint so...) -> Bubonic Brown (as Beastial is darker I wanted an intermediary colour and can't be bothered to buy something like Zandri Dust) -> Bleached Bone -> Chestnut ink

gallery_62972_9848_23345.jpg

Needs a second coat of Bubonic but it's looking good so far. The seat is Snakebite Leather as all my seats are.

A couple of quick battle reports (read: not my usual standard) from my first ever games of 40k 8th edition.

Blood Angels Vs Harlequins - 500 points

This game is against the B&C's GawFang.

Army Lists

Patrol Detachment

• Corbulo - Warlord

• Scout Squad

• Attack Bike

Harlequins

Patrol Detachment

• Trope Master – Warlord

• Two Tropes

• Shadowseer

Deployment

Mission: Retrieval Mission

On the Tau board at Warhammer World. This one was quite open bar a few trees and the odd bunker. Four objectives were placed around the board. The BA Scouts deployed on an Objective near their deployment zone, whilst the Attack Bike and Assback (containing Corbulo and the Death Company) deployed on the other side. Opposing them sat the Harlequins all clustered up. The Harlequins got first turn.

gallery_62972_9890_64483.jpg

Turn One

T1 for the Harlequins was over quickly as they advanced on the Blood Angels

The Scouts reacted by moving into line of sight of their quarry whilst the Assback and Attack Bike stayed at range picking off the odd Harlequin.

gallery_62972_9890_1123734.jpg

Turn Two

Rinse and repeat for the Harlequins, with the odd spell thrown in for good measure

Scouts moved closer for a better angle, and a couple more xenos died to combined fire. DC alighted their transport but failed their charge.

gallery_62972_9890_1013444.jpg

Turn Three

Harlequins charged. Brutal. Only Corbulo and one DC survive. Razorback and Attackbike get pulled into combat but less than a handful of Harlequins are beaten.

gallery_62972_9890_37849.jpg

Turn Four

Scouts head back to their Objective. Combat continues with Corbulo and DC perishing (Slay the Warlord and First Blood). The Shadowseer dies leaving two from each Trope and the Master remaining.

gallery_62972_9890_1012729.jpg

Turn Five

Scout reach the safety of their Objective. Razor disengages with two wounds left, but the Attack Bike is destroyed.

gallery_62972_9890_1145209.jpg

Harlequins have Linebreaker and the Scouts have the only Objective of the game.

Harlequins – 3:3 – Blood Angels

Blood Angels Vs Space Marines - 500 points

This game is against the B&C's Olis.

Army Lists

Patrol Detachment

• Corbulo - Warlord

• Scout Squad

• Attack Bike

Space Marines

Patrol Detachment

• Techmarine – Warlord

• Two Tactical Squads

• One Assault Squad

• One Scout Squad

• One squad of Company Veterans

Deployment

Mission: Tactical Escalation

On the Tau board at Warhammer World. This one had the centre complex with trees and the odd building surrounding the perimeter wall. Six objectives were placed around the board. The BA Scouts deployed onto the building roof near the center of the board, whilst the Attack Bike deployed in the trees on the right hand side of their deployment zone. The Assback (containing Corbulo and the Death Company) deployed behind the perimeter wall and relatively central . The Marines' Scouts sat on an Objective opposite the Attack Bike. The Veterans were at the forefront and near Objective 1, with the two Tactical Squads fanned out around them. Behind that, sat the Techmarine and the RAS.

gallery_62972_9890_91397.jpg

Turn One

The Marine Scouts are purged (First Blood) as the Assback moves closer to the action. In retaliation, the Marines advance on their quarry whilst plinking off a few wounds from the Assback despite its cover.

gallery_62972_9890_251030.jpg

Turn Two

The Attack Bike makes a dash for the free Objective, but is headed off by the Marine RAS. One of the Tactical Squads perishes, but so does the Assback which disgorges its cargo near the perimieter wall.

gallery_62972_9890_509067.jpg

Turn Three

The Death Company get a charge off on the Tactical Squad and destroy them with ease, but this leaves them at the mercy of the Company Veterans who offer no remorse as they gun them down. Meanwhile, the BA Scouts have sniped the Techmarine (Slay the Warlord) and the Attack Bike has engaged the RAS in combat.

gallery_62972_9890_971494.jpg

Turn Four

Despite being up on secondaries, the Blood Angels were behind on primaries and needed to land some objectives. With the tower being so high, it was decided to treat it like a vehicle (so you embark it for a turn and disembark it the following turn) – hence why the BA Scouts are lying down. Meanwhile the Attack Bike is destroyed in combat leaving three RAS alive

gallery_62972_9890_50124.jpg

Turn Five

The BA Scouts disembark from the tower and get to work, but are eventually beaten in combat by the remnants of a Tactical Squad. Of the Marine force, there are three RAS, three Tactical Marines and two Company Veterans left alive.

gallery_62972_9890_590328.jpg

Marines win.

Really nice boards but imo not enough terrain. Especially for 8th edition. :tongue.:

That Tau board is there larger themed board that was split into three for us. It's normally used for things like Apocalypse, hence the lack of scenery. All the "regular" boards were in use for some event (Throne of Skulls maybe?) and they tend to have more scenery.

Quick painting update seeing as Wolves are getting absolutely mullered :dry.:

RTS Vow - tank internals

A spot of tidying needed but I'm pretty much done with the internals.

gallery_62972_9848_24981.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_23578.jpg

Now we have a small conundrum. I painted the doors like I have my Stormraven and plan on having them removable (as one day, this chassis may well end up having sponsons added - long story), so the question is, what colour do I do the outside facing internal doors? No chevrons though...

gallery_62972_9848_50514.jpg

Red? bone? metal? Something else?

Quick painting update seeing as Wolves are getting absolutely mullered :dry.:

RTS Vow - tank internals

A spot of tidying needed but I'm pretty much done with the internals.

gallery_62972_9848_24981.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_23578.jpg

Now we have a small conundrum. I painted the doors like I have my Stormraven and plan on having them removable (as one day, this chassis may well end up having sponsons added - long story), so the question is, what colour do I do the outside facing internal doors? No chevrons though...

gallery_62972_9848_50514.jpg

Red? bone? metal? Something else?

Looks good.

Keep it red and crack on with the parts people will actually see.