Magnets, bane, and joy.

I don't know, I really want to magnetize my precious sternguard. The kit is expensive, well all GW is expensive, but I'd like to be able to mix and match. The thought is I'll be able to switch out weapons based on my adversary. I'll have to try it out, but I'm dreading the work.

As far as Sternguard are concerned, Special Issue Boltguns are where they're best. Combi Weapons are for Company Veterans, since they can't use Masterful Marksmanship (yes, it is that good!).

• Remove the blue-tack from a lot of my stuff (so fix it or magnetise it)

I was in the position that models would lie unfinished for months as I couldn't build up to magnetising them. Now I don't magnetise so much and leave things with fixed loadouts, and I'm much happier. I'm also in that position of having way too much stuff, so I don't really need to magnetise all the heavy weapons on a dev squad as I have enough marine bodies to make it happen.

I think you're in the same boat regarding bodies, so my thought would be that if magnetising is slowing you down, or you're putting it off, then stop doing it!

It's not as black and white as that sadly. Take my Knight, it's half-finished paint wise (so legal for my group's gaming events), but blu-tacced as it is easier to paint in sub-assemblies. It needs magnetising to switch out weapons. Astorath is the same, he's not finished paint-wise but painted enough for gaming, so he's held together by blu-tac. and so on.

Basically, I've gotten myself into the trap whereby I'm rushing to use stuff rather than wait until it's complete - and this isn't helped by my current thought-process of painting virtually everything in sub-assembles :/

In other news, I'm trying to decide whether or not to abandon the batch paint process for my bikes as I can't see the wood through the trees at this point. Endless touching up, after touching up where the shade is too thick, etc. I know there's no good rule of thumb but I do wonder if it's more efficient to do one at a time going forward (if only for my mental well being)

I can definitely recommend finishing a unit first. I've got 2k+ of T'au (and still lots of models I'd like to add) but not a single fully painted unit (well...maybe the Hammerhead guess). Now I'm slowly building a Primaris BA army one unit at a time and have already two units finished working on the third.

<p>

• Remove the blue-tack from a lot of my stuff (so fix it or magnetise it)

I was in the position that models would lie unfinished for months as I couldn't build up to magnetising them. Now I don't magnetise so much and leave things with fixed loadouts, and I'm much happier. I'm also in that position of having way too much stuff, so I don't really need to magnetise all the heavy weapons on a dev squad as I have enough marine bodies to make it happen.

I think you're in the same boat regarding bodies, so my thought would be that if magnetising is slowing you down, or you're putting it off, then stop doing it!

It's not as black and white as that sadly. Take my Knight, it's half-finished paint wise (so legal for my group's gaming events), but blu-tacced as it is easier to paint in sub-assemblies. It needs magnetising to switch out weapons. Astorath is the same, he's not finished paint-wise but painted enough for gaming, so he's held together by blu-tac. and so on.

Basically, I've gotten myself into the trap whereby I'm rushing to use stuff rather than wait until it's complete - and this isn't helped by my current thought-process of painting virtually everything in sub-assembles :/

In other news, I'm trying to decide whether or not to abandon the batch paint process for my bikes as I can't see the wood through the trees at this point. Endless touching up, after touching up where the shade is too thick, etc. I know there's no good rule of thumb but I do wonder if it's more efficient to do one at a time going forward (if only for my mental well being)

I've been doing this too for the past couple years... I always lose a bunch of hobbying steam when I go back and try to magnetize or fully paint one of those units. I usually have to move on and work on something new... and then I'll half finish that...

I hate magnets even if it's usefull but i suggest batch painting a min squad even if you have to do 2 sessions for a squad of ten.

Less painfull on the mental and when you start seeing progress is motivation in itself :)

As for bike, painting 3 by 3 should be alright and less tedious 

Anamnesis

I've got six bikes and an Attack Bike that I'm dragging my heels on. I've decided to complete the Attack Bike first and there should be a picture sometime this week.

Ideally I want everything done by the first week of February, but we'll see.

Attack Bike

1/7 bikes done

gallery_62972_9848_970287.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_141287.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_328831.jpg

Couple of bits left to do such as a blood drop on the pistol and a back pack to touch up, but other than that it's complete.

2018 Ratio - in a bid to keep track of my incomings Vs outgoings...

Bought sets 0:1 Complete sets

Just for comparison, here's a picture of my first Attack bike:

gallery_62972_9848_1052964.jpg

This must have been painted around the third/fourth edition as it has some similarities to my RAS which were painted around the same era: yellow helmets which I gave up on; evidence of once having a black trim (and probably the reason why I gave up doing them - I think it was this model that broke me in that regard); the un-pictured camo-roll behind the rider that came with the metal Attack Bike is painted like my Scout cloaks of that era; the front headlamp. Certainly the oldest picture I have of it is 2011 (it had no base back then) and I don't recall painting anything between 2008 and 2011.

Eventually I'll move this off it's temporary base and magnetise the heavy bolter which is painted...

Edited by Jolemai

Bikes

3/7, grav edition.

gallery_62972_9848_21872.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_50817.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_10194.jpg

The grab gun is magnetised at the wrist so I can change to a meltagun or plasmagun to compliment the metal bikes in my other squad.

The Mk IV Marine is the rider from my jetbike. He has a Baal-pattern grab gun (or rather, I used a lightning gun as I had no other grav guns at the time). Gave it the same colour scheme (grav weaponry is blue in my universe) and it works fine for me.

Great looking bikers thusfar, Jolemai!

As per the magnets, I find the same logic Anamnesis used for painting; try to drill maybe 3-5 arms / weapons / etc as you go, then make sure your magnets are appropriately faced and glue. I did that a while back for my three bikers, and it made the process less painful.

I hope this helps with the motivation!

• 3 weeks later...

Bikes

4/7, Sergeant edition

With combi-grav:

gallery_62972_9848_106190.jpg

It's magnetised so I have the option of using the other bits too. Naturally, these aren't painted up yet...

With power lance:

gallery_62972_9848_652947.jpg

So yeah, I was a little annoyed that power lances were no longer an option for us in 8th edition. However, the rules are the same as power mauls so he's basically got a power maul in new money.

2018 Ratio - in a bid to keep track of my incomings Vs outgoings...

Bought sets 0:2 Completed sets

Edited by Jolemai

For my upcoming Apocalypse game I've got three LoW choices - Cerberus, Knight, Shadowsword.

Do I put them into a Super-heavy Detachment for the 3 CPs (we are using Detachments, CPs and Stratagems despite Apoc being Open Play), or give the non-BA stuff there own Auxiliary SH Detachment and put the Cerberus in one of my Supreme Command Detachments?

If I group them together I gain CP but lose out on any Stratagems and in the Guard tank's case, Regiment Bonus (it's either Cadia or Tempestus colours, need to check as it's borrowed)

Basically is separate worth the 2/3 BA Stratagems, +1 ATK and increased ++ for a turn (1 CP) for the Knight, and the decent Guard buffs?

For my upcoming Apocalypse game I've got three LoW choices - Cerberus, Knight, Shadowsword.

Do I put them into a Super-heavy Detachment for the 3 CPs (we are using Detachments, CPs and Stratagems despite Apoc being Open Play), or give the non-BA stuff there own Auxiliary SH Detachment and put the Cerberus in one of my Supreme Command Detachments?

If I group them together I gain CP but lose out on any Stratagems and in the Guard tank's case, Regiment Bonus (it's either Cadia or Tempestus colours, need to check as it's borrowed)

Basically is separate worth the 2/3 BA Stratagems, +1 ATK and increased ++ for a turn (1 CP) for the Knight, and the decent Guard buffs?

I'm assuming you'll have at least one BA detachment anyway? By doing so you have access to the stratagems and they can affect any BA models regardless of if they are in an "IMPERIUM" or "BLOOD ANGELS" faction detachment. Plus, what strats really effect a Cerberus?

If you don't need the 3CP, I'd say go separate though as from what I understand the Guard and Knight stuff ain't bad at all for keeping the big boys as killy as possible.

Is the Cerberus a relic too? As if it is you'll need at least one other Space Marine LoW... I think? Maybe it was FAQd as I remembering it being so.

The Cerberus isn't a relic and even if it was, it doesn't matter for LoW slots following the FAQ. Seems like I was getting confused on the stratagem part; I obviously have access but was unsure if I could use them on a unit in an Imperial Soup Detachment. On reflection, I wont be using the IK extras found in Chapter Approved as he wont be my Warlord and Regimental Doctrines wont apply to the Shadowsword however I field it - so I might as well go for the three extra CP to give me 31 in total...

(Off the top of my head, the only stratagem to work on a Cerberus is the mortal wound "save" stratagem)

I Reclusiarch Jolemai, first of his name rise to the HQ challenge of Blood & Zeal and vow to build two Chaplains and a Captain in Cataphractii armour for a combined total of 18 PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2017. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels Faction, whilst failure is not an option...

gallery_62972_9848_360023.jpg

So that's a new head on the Chaplain and Captain from the BaC box planned, along with a relic blade conversion. Also looking at doing the Chaplain that I got from the Reclusiam Command Box.

Jol! how do you plan on giving your Cat termie Capt a sword?!?! It may change my potential vow!

Currently in two minds. At first I was simply going to replace the chain bit with a blade (in this case, it was a nemesis force weapon blade with an R on it). However, last night I thought about attached the nemesis falchions to his fist in a Darth Maul manner.

Still mulling it over.

Also, the Chaplain with no conversion work is built. I know right, how can you compete with this speed :D

Both Chaplains down, working on the relic blade for the Captain tomorrow (hopefully) and I've opted for the Darth Maul type blade.

Should both blade face in the same direction (like a bat'leth) or should I have one forward and one backwards to allow for striking in more than one direction? Leaning towards the latter.