So how's this going?

2018 goals:

• Astorath done by the end of March - failed
  • Bikes done by the end of March - failed
  • Remove the blue-tack from a lot of my stuff (so fix it or magnetise it) - too vague a goal per se, but I did trim a lot of it.
  • Finish my DC Knight - see below
  • Participate in the three* BA events this year - this may affect the above list! - ongoing

* RTS, ETL (hopefully) and something to be confirmed...

• Bikes are almost done, I've got some minor highlights to do on the last three. Will be done by the end of the year, hopefully before the RTS
  • Astorath got moved along nicely, but he's still maybe 70 % complete? Will be done by the end of the year
  • Still got lots of blue tac to remove (which means magnetise and/or paint aftwerwards). Lets aim for five models to be sorted by the year's end*
  • RTS plans have already been made, I'm looking at completing 2/3 units (which means less bluetac)
  • With regards to the DC Knight (which includes less bluetac), penitence vow enacted:

* Right, I pledge to get my Knight completed before the year is out.

* Astorath, Knight, Drop pod x2, + 1 other (maybe Dante)

ETL VI vow 2 WIP

Final tank WIP, should be done by Sunday...

gallery_62972_9848_161217.jpg

To add, all tanks need their tracks attaching and I need to sort the secondary weapons to Vindicator and Scorpius (painted, but still in bits).

Scorpius needs a second coat of red, recess wash, tidying, and detail.

Vow 2 complete

gallery_62972_9848_818382.jpg

I Reclusiarch Jolemai, first of this name rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels and vow to complete the following; one Librarian with force stave, bolt pistol, jump pack of total value 120 on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

gallery_62972_9848_426347.jpg

Not much to add; I expect to get the model done but I'm going to have to focus and push hard to do it over the next two evenings. Doing three tanks was a bit of a slog in the end (especially having to add on three lots of tracks at around midnight last night) but I'm glad they are out of the way.

Looking good! Do you use painters tape for the stripe on the demolishers shield?

Nope, just a ruler :blush I probably should look into it tbh especially for large DC vehicles...

ETL VI Vow 3 complete

gallery_62972_9848_232130.jpg

... and with that I'm done, having burned significant family faction over the past three months to get these vows done (I'm also on vacation from Wednesday with little signal). Basically, I "hope" I'm not painting anything else during August...

Despite needing a base and some highlights (which probably wont ever happen), I have to say Tigurius has never looked so good :p Ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered, but I was given the model and there's hardly any Ultramarine insignia. Also, I need a foot/jump guy with a staff so...

• 2 weeks later...

Hidden Content
I think you're going to have a blast with the Libby Dread. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on adding a Furioso to any of my lists. If he were more combat effective I think I would bring him along. Let us know how he fairs!
Edited by Jolemai
Added spoiler tags - see below

Hidden Content
Cool list. I don't know what those dreadnoughts are but they sound awesome. I've been pondering a dreadnought heavy list for quite a while. I really do like all of the models and fluff. They're expensive points/PL wise but who cares? I can probably field 2 x DC, 1 X librarian, 2 X furioso, 2 or 3 X regular dread, and one fancy old dread forget their names but they're in the codex. Oh yeah also a new push fit primaris dread. I'm going to have to do that!
Edited by Jolemai
Added spoiler tags, see below

Added spoiler tags because there are spies lurking around :ph34r.:

Replies:

Hidden Content
I think you're going to have a blast with the Libby Dread. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on adding a Furioso to any of my lists. If he were more combat effective I think I would bring him along. Let us know how he fairs!

The plan was to field all my Dreadnoughts which meant I had to find space for a second Librarian Dreadnought/DCD/Furioso and in the end, it came down to points (hence the footslogging Furioso). Given the movement plus advance, he will be a fast moving thorn to be dealt with regardless. Naturally, I'll report back!

Hidden Content
Cool list. I don't know what those dreadnoughts are but they sound awesome. I've been pondering a dreadnought heavy list for quite a while. I really do like all of the models and fluff. They're expensive points/PL wise but who cares? I can probably field 2 x DC, 1 X librarian, 2 X furioso, 2 or 3 X regular dread, and one fancy old dread forget their names but they're in the codex. Oh yeah also a new push fit primaris dread. I'm going to have to do that!

The Dreadnoughts you don't recognise can be found in Imperial Armour Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes.

• Mortis Dreadnought - basically the same as the regular Dreadnought but with two ranged weapons of the same type. Basically I'm using the rules here for my "Rifleman" style Dreadnought over the Index Imperium 1 rules
  • Relic Contemptor Dreadnought - like the Codex version but better and with better weapon choices. Basically, I've used these rules to give him a twin lascannon
  • Relic Leviathan Dreadnought - like the new Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought in the Codex, but better (and pricier!) and with arguably better and more varied weapon choices

Hidden Content
When did you get a Leviathan?!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326946-your-ba-pile-of-shame/?p=5081934 :tongue.:

Vow 2 complete

gallery_62972_9848_818382.jpg

Always love a Predator Annihilator. Got any shots of just that?

Sure, I'll get around to that at some point. However, I may throw it into the RTS as a secondary vow for the Destructor and Rhino bits, so you may have to wait until then. I do intend on getting some more pics up at some point though :)

• 1 month later...

I Reclusiarch Jolemai, first of his name rise to the challenge of From Rage to Salvation and vow to complete the following as a primary vow: two Drop Pods and the following secondary vows: Astorath; details, basing, assembly on or before November 30th, 2018. Should I bring honour to the Blood Angels I will proudly wear the IRATUS DOMINUS badge; should I fail I will display the CARCERES IRA on my chest as a reminder of my shame.

gallery_62972_9848_336684.jpg

Right, basically they were the only thing unpacked and thus they have queue jumped into the RTS :facepalm: they need:

• Second coats and tidying
  • Recess washes, detail, highlights
  • Internal changing to bone on the red one
  • Harnesses built and painted for both
  • Gluing fully (as I'm not going to bother using them as Lucius Pods much anymore)
  • ... and then there's Astorath in that bag. He needs his details, basing, and assembly doing

Good luck Reclusiarch. When I painted my drop pod bone it took much of the competition to get it right.

If you're curious of my method; it was Rakarth Flesh thinned in multiple coats. Followed by multiple recent shades of agra earthshade, tidied up along the doors with multiple thin coats of ushabti bone. Followed by the cockpit having the same method, except I dry brushed the innards and then edge highlighted with screaming skull.

gallery_92746_14190_187088.jpg
Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Good luck Reclusiarch. When I painted my drop pod bone it took much of the competition to get it right.

If you're curious of my method; it was Rakarth Flesh thinned in multiple coats. Followed by multiple recent shades of agra earthshade, tidied up along the doors with multiple thin coats of ushabti bone. Followed by the cockpit having the same method, except I dry brushed the innards and then edge highlighted with screaming skull.

Cheers. I essentially do that on mine, but in old money: it's currently a Celestia Grey basecoat -> (Bubonic Brown) -> Bleached Bone -> Chestnut Wash (recesses) -> Bleached Bone -> Pallid Wych Flesh. Basically I've moved on from using a brown basecoat as I can't get it down smooth enough (wrong colours to hand) and the Bubonic I use as a transition piece on larger surfaces. It's coming up quite nice all in all.

Battle Summary

Using my Dreadnought List - 1500 Vs Harlequins

What's a battle summary I hear you ask? Well basically it's a summary with photos of the battle rather than an in-depth report like I normally do...

Armies

Blood Angels

Librarian Dreadnought - Warlord

Lieutenant - Veritas Vitae

Captain

Three Scout Squads

Devastator Squad

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought

Mortis Dreadnought

Furioso Dreadnought

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought

Battalion + Spearhead - 9 CP

gallery_62972_9890_93885.jpg

Harlequins

Troupe Master

Three Harlequin Troupes

Three Shadowseers

Solitaire

Death Jester

Three squads of two Skyweavers

... maybe 8/9 CP?

gallery_62972_9890_704299.jpg

Pregame

Mission is Kill Confirmed (Chapter Approved 2017, page 74)

Basically, BA deployment is the Devastators and shooty Scouts in some ruins, with the three shooty Dreadnoughts, Captain, and Lieutenant in cover. The Furioso protects one flank whilst the Furioso Librarian in placed centrally. A large Troupe is off the board for Webway Assault in the first turn. The two smaller squads and attached Seers are hidden (along with the Master), whilst the bikes are fairly well hidden too. The Death Jester, Solitaire, and another Seer are holding hands in the back corner...

Oh, and he Seizes the Initiative :/

gallery_62972_9890_866009.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_814660.jpg

The game

So basically, everything moves forward. The Troupe appear via the Webway, whilst the three characters use Heroes Path to do the following: The Solitaire targets the Devastators, the Death Jester appears on the other flank to see the shooty Dreadnoughts and Charaters, the Seer appears alongside the large Troupe... which is making a beeline for the Scouts by the central objectives (as you can see, we're not using the beta rules...) Shooting sees the Furioso take a lot of haywire before dieing, the Mortis is reduced to two wounds, and the Characters and Scouts take a few wounds. Next the large Troupe assaulted the shooty Dreadnoughts (this lasted into my second turn before they were all purged, but some Dreadnoughts became unengaged after this initial assault) and the choppy Scouts bore the brunt of the assault from the smaller Troupes. The Solitaire charged the Devastators in a fight which went on for two and a half turns before the Devastator Sergeant emerged victorious (having spent far too many CP trying to swat it aside).

Retaliation wasn't much cop tbf. Having become unengaged, the Leviathan moved to the left flank whereby it fluffed it's lines completely. First it shot the bikes whiffing everything (meltagun and grav weapon), then it fired it's heavy flamers at the Death Jester and charged it, only for it to survive. (Next turn it moved away which allowed the Skyweavers to haywire the Leviathan to death...) Stuff moved, the Contemptor's lascannon did as well as expected (i.e one hits that does four wounds to a Skyweaver), the Scout Sergeant's sniper rifle did two wounds on a Seer (!) but the Hellfire shell missed... These Scouts didn't get another chance to shine. The Furioso Librarian failed Wings so didn't do much either, and so on.

gallery_62972_9890_1065669.jpg

It got to around turn four where once my Warlord (the Librarian Dreadnought) was dead that I called it. I was already down something silly like 14-4 and couldn't score my cards or kill anything...

gallery_62972_9890_719494.jpg

Edited by Jolemai

Battle Summary

Using my Dreadnought List - 1500 (but reduced to 1k) Vs Grey Knights

What's a battle summary I hear you ask? Well basically it's a summary with photos of the battle rather than an in-depth report like I normally do...

[interesting note] This is my first game at a new group a lot closer to me. Hopefully playing more often will help me shake off the rust and all ow me to do less mistakes...

Armies
Blood Angels

Librarian Dreadnought - Warlord
Lieutenant – The Angel's Wing
Captain - Veritas Vitae
Three Scout Squads

Devastator Squad
Mortis Dreadnought
Furioso Dreadnought

Battalion 8 CP

Grey Knights

Kaldor Draigo (yes, really)
Interceptors
Rhino (maybe a five man squad inside? No idea)
Two Stormtalons

CP 3
Apparently this was correct but then something was amiss in the list above. Apparently he had a Patrol Detachment which would have meant a five man squad (and thus, over 1k points), but if not then this would be a Unbound army (so zero CP). Got to love PUGs...

Pregame

Mission is Field of Glory (Open War cards)

Basically, BA deployment is the Devastators in a ruin at the back and the shooty Scouts in a ruin in front of them. Between them was our "home" objective. The Captain, Lieutenant, and Contemptor were out of sight by the Devastators, the two choppy Scout Squads were pushed up as close to their deployment quarter/board edge as possible, and the Furioso and Librarian Dreadnought were at the front of my Deployment zone. The GKs castled up in their opposite corner (with the Rhino on their objective) and for those unfamiliar with this mission, a third objective was in the center of the board.
Oh, and he Seizes the Initiative :/

gallery_62972_9890_35849.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_925178.jpg

The game

The GK Rhino stays where it is camping the objective and everything else moves towards the Scouts. By that, I mean the Interceptors shunt over there, the Stormtalons zoom, and Draigo Gates into the middle of them all. One five man squad of Scout is drowned in 40 storm bolter shots, whilst the other perishes from the talon's dakka (with the missiles knocking six wounds off a Furioso). I think the shooty Scout Squad took a couple of wounds here too, probably from Smite.

In my turn the Contemptor moves into line of sight of the Rhino but only manages to knock off six wounds. Devastators doubletap the Flak Missiles stratagem but I knock off maybe two/three wounds off one of them? Meanwhile, Wings is blocked so a super Smite goes through on the Interceptors thinning them somewhat. The Lieutenant uses UwoF and combos it with DoA to get a charge off on Draigo and the Interceptors, to which the two Dreadnoughts follow. I then make a slight blunder by activating my Furioso to pound away at Draigo (who saves everything with his 3++). Draigo obviously goes next and decks my Librarian Dreadnought and the remaining Interceptors slice up my Furioso.

gallery_62972_9890_778326.jpg

In T2 the Interceptors disengage and head over to the central objective, whilst the Talons fly south towards my troops. Draigo proceeds to Gate out of combat and port over to my objective (which I've left uncontested), and that's game.

gallery_62972_9890_133589.jpg

Short and sweet, so here's a few extra photos taken by my opponent:

gallery_62972_9890_34310.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_43651.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_21082.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_18918.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_15952.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_42768.jpg

Edited by Jolemai

Cheers. I essentially do that on mine, but in old money: it's currently a Celestia Grey basecoat -> (Bubonic Brown) -> Bleached Bone -> Chestnut Wash (recesses) -> Bleached Bone -> Pallid Wych Flesh. Basically I've moved on from using a brown basecoat as I can't get it down smooth enough (wrong colours to hand) and the Bubonic I use as a transition piece on larger surfaces. It's coming up quite nice all in all.

I will say it is my favorite model I've painted. Or at least I feel the most proud of it. That's the main reason it finds so many spots in my lists, I just wish it was cheaper, much much cheaper. T_T

I can't say for sure since you didn't list your Devastators at all and left out the loadout of your shooty scouts but it sounds like using Auspex Scan could've helped a lot against the Harlequins. ^^

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought
Mortis Dreadnought
Relic Leviathan Dreadnought

What are these? I'll do some Google fu later on but are these forgeworld goodies?

Yes, they all are from Forgeworld.