• Autarch
  • Jetseer
  • 3 x Dire Avengers
  • 9 Banshees + Exarch in Wave Serpent
  • 9 Scorpions + Exarch in Wave Serpent
  • Crimson Hunter Exarch
  • Hemlock

Pregame
Missions is Retrieval from Chapter Approved GT 2020. Primaries are 5 points for one objective, 5 points for two objectives, five points for more than your opponent, all of which are scored in Command Phases 2-5. Both armies select the same secondaries; Bring It Down (Kill a monster/vehicle, 2/3 points depending on wounds) , Grind Them Down (kill more than your opponent that battle round), Engage On All Fronts (Fully in three quarters and away from the centre = 2 points. Four quarters is 3). Map is laid out as per the mission with six objectives; one in each deployment zone 18" from the centre and a further four equidistant from each other in no man's land. Cover as per the BRB.

gallery_62972_9890_808241.jpg

BA deployment sees the Pods and cargo in reserve. Librarian Dreadnought on the flank behind a ruin, Mortis and Techmarine behind a structure near the central objective, Leviathan behind a structure within range of the other objective. The Scouts are forward behind some crates.

gallery_62972_9890_629302.jpg

Eldar deployment sees a flank of a Hemlock, the Scorpions' Wave Serpent, and a squad of Dire Avengers behind a ruin. Other flank a Dire Avengers squad (in range of the home objective), Autarch, and Jetseer behind one ruin, and then the Banshee's Serpent and the last Dire Avengers squad behind another ruin. Lastly, the Crimson Hunter Exarch is there too.

gallery_62972_9890_1053429.jpg[

BA go first :woot:

The Game
T1
This sees the Mortis and Techmarine move the other side of the objective to get into a different table quarter from the Leviathan, which moves towards its objective. It sends off three hunter-killer missiles at the Scorpion's Wave Serpent which only does a bit of damage due to the tank's defenses. The Mortis itself adds a spot more damage whilst the Scouts move out of cover to draw a bead on the autarch, but whiff their assassination attempt. Both Drop Pods arrive in range of the furthest no man's land objectives and spit out their cargo: on my left flank a combat squad go on the crates, another goes out of sight behind a structure near the centre of the board... on my right flank a combat squad go behind some barricades, the other pushes towards the ruin where a Dire Avenger squad and Banshee's tank are hiding behind. Additional shooting is minimal and there is no combat. The Librarian Dreadnought gets Wings and Quickening off and moves onto a nearby objective.

In response the Crimson Hunter Exarch moves to within 6" of my Librarian Dreadnought whilst the Hemlock does the same on the Techmarine. Whilst the Hemlock dispatches the Techmarine with relative ease, Duty Eternal saves my Librarian Dreadnought - who gets a semblance of revenge through Unbridled Ardour and Heroically Intervenes to leave the aircraft on three wounds. The Scorpions get out of their tank, assist the Wave Serpent in getting rid of the combat squad on the crates, and then mug the Scouts in combat. Not willing to be outdone, the Banshees disembark and attempt the same on the five man squad approaching their ruin. Eighteen power sword and three Executioner attacks result in one dead Tactical Marine - who kill three in return. Their Dire Avenger buddies move up, as do the Autarch and Jetseer.

gallery_62972_9890_640569.jpg
gallery_62972_9890_298676.jpg

Having killed more and with units fully in three quarters (I nullified myself hiding something near the middle), the score is 0-6.

T2
15 points in the Command Phase. The Dreadnought Drop Pod arrives in the back corner behind the Banshee's ride. The Furioso emerges, kills some Avengers and knocks some wounds off the tank but forgets to charge :facepalm: The combat squad in combat kills another through pistol fire but the combat is a standoff. Moving away from the centre, the combat squad there moves and gets a charge on the Banshee's Serpent leaving it with two wounds remaining by the end of the turn. The Librarian Dreadnought gets Wings off again and finally dispatches the Crimson Hunter in combat. On the other flank, the Leviathan obliterates the Scorpion's Wave Serpent and roasts the Scorpions down the one member.

With 5 points in the bag from objectives, the Dire Avengers near the red Pod move into range to one up it on the Objective and the lone Scorpion legs it into the table quarter by the Leviathan. The Hemlock moves towards the Librarian Dreadnought and finishes it off whilst the other Dire Avenger squad assist the Banshees to finish off the stubborn Tactical Squad (with the help of Doom). The Banshees consolidate into the Pod and get in range of the objective. The remaining Wave Serpent finishes off the Marines it's engaged with (with some Smite assistance).

gallery_62972_9890_296862.jpg
gallery_62972_9890_1253910.jpg

BA killed two vehicles and are in every quarter. Eldar took out a vehicle, killed more, and are in every quarter. 24-19

T3
10 points acquired in the Command Phase. The Leviathan roasts the remaining Scorpion and annihilates the Dire Avengers contesting the objective. The red Pod detonates the Wave Serpent which hilariously takes out a number of models including putting two wounds on the Autach - which the Furioso gleefully rips apart in combat.

5 points for Objectives. The Hemlock moves over to the red Pod and pops it with ease. What's left of the Banshees take out the black Pod, whilst smite and shuriken fire take the last few wounds away from the Furioso.

gallery_62972_9890_974104.jpg
gallery_62972_9890_670011.jpg

BA get a "large" vehicle and quarters, Eldar get three "small" vehicles and more kills. 40-30

T4 & T5
Sitting on Objectives, the Leviathan obliterates the Hemlock, the Mortis kills some chaff. To deny Engage On All Fronts points, the Eldar pop the Dreadnought Drop Pod, they then spread out and try to gun down the Leviathan on the last turn whilst the Mortis plinks away some more chaff.

gallery_62972_9890_948341.jpg

Final score: 68-57. But wait! The Eldar army is fully painted whilst the BA one has a grey Leviathan! 68-67 :blush.:

BA killed two vehicles and are in every quarter. Eldar took out a vehicle, killed more, and are in every quarter. 24-19

Game Debrief

Mistakes. Made so many this game, hopefully due to rust as I haven't played in at least a month.

• Stopped myself from getting the secondary T1 due to moving a unit into the centre. Fortunately the Pod was just out of range... :facepalm:
  • I forgot that my Librarian Dreadnought wounds on 2s due to Red Thirst and that it had Artisan of War! :facepalm: :facepalm: Would have meant it could have hopefully munched something else in my turn.
  • Forgot to charge the Furioso into the back of the wave Serpent. Got away with it but :facepalm:

Librarian Dreadnought

• Both my opponent and I discovered the use of Unbridled Ardour tonight (I didn't realise it was "any unit"). At least it got into combat but otherwise underperformed. Additionally, Duty Eternal and for a change, Armour of Contempt helped here.

Techmarine

• Kept it within 3" of the Mortis but it was behind which gave the planes and opportunity to snipe... Soulwarden was useful though.

Tacticals

• Add so much mobility to this force with the Pods. Bad placement with the red Pod meant one half died quicker than it should have and the other denied a secondary. Will learn. The other did a grand job, maybe it should get a power sword too...

Scouts

• Nothing this game except for being bait. Happens

Leviathan

• First game it's really been an absolute star to the point where I felt bad. However, it needs a paint job...

Mortis (Rifleman)

• Didn't do much bar plink away and hold an objective. Standard really.

Furioso

• Took the place of the Codex-Contemptor from the last battle and did a job despite my error. Nice distraction unit if a little fragile. Will likely keep it in now until the next points increase...
Edited by Jolemai

Great write up mate. Have you thought about doing the furioso for a DC dread? It's extra killy and has the 6+++ which would help on durability. Plus you can then bump that to 5+++ with refusal to die when needed.

Initially, the Furioso was in the keep the points down but that was when I had five Dreadnoughts with a more static playstyle... And because it doesn't feature in a different list these days.

The DCD rocks up in two of my other lists which was the main reason it was left out in the past but I have been thinking of including one, especially as it's a fluffy choice.

Great write up mate. Have you thought about doing the furioso for a DC dread? It's extra killy and has the 6+++ which would help on durability. Plus you can then bump that to 5+++ with refusal to die when needed.

Initially, the Furioso was in the keep the points down but that was when I had five Dreadnoughts with a more static playstyle... And because it doesn't feature in a different list these days.

The DCD rocks up in two of my other lists which was the main reason it was left out in the past but I have been thinking of including one, especially as it's a fluffy choice.

What do you load them with, the fists?

Death Company WIP

12m Challenge - October

I, Reclusiarch Jolemai , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of October pledge to complete 8x Death Company, 1x Chaplain to the defence of the Imperial Faction by month's end.

Hidden Content

gallery_62972_9848_1428092.jpg

To do:

~ Eleven various backpacks to complete/magnetise

~ "Disco" Lemartes and the power fist chap just need touching up and the odd bit of detail. Lemartes has a magnetised pistol which I may do weapon choices for it I can recover my bits box from a Lockdown area :sad.:

~ Three bolter chaps need detail, highlights, gluing and their bases painted.

~ The two with chainswords need magnetised weapon options, gluing, details, highlists, painted bases

~ Thunderhammer/power axe chap needs details, highlights, finishing off

~ Winged chap needs details, highlights, finishing off

Death Company update 1/4

gallery_62972_9848_838449.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_435125.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_572247.jpg

Broken this vow down into four manageable chunks and I've started with the "easiest" ones. What did i do?

• The jump packs had magnets added (everything else already did). Detail, highlights, etc
  • Powerfist chap just needed freshening up. I did his eyes and power fist to my current standard but left the wings as my older style - tbh I quite like having older painted stuff in my force as I like seeing my progression (and it was fine anyway). Yes I know he'll need a weapon change!!!
  • "Disco" Lemartes got his base sorted, highlights, weapon, eyes, grenades to my current standard. Everything else was freshened up but I couldn't find a left-handed pistol anywhere (his bolt pistol is magnetised as I run him as a regular chaplain these days)

• 2 weeks later...

Battle Report: Blood Angels Vs Biel'Tan Eldar, 1500 points

Hidden Content

Armies
Blood Angels - my 1500 Light Mech list - 11 CPs
  • Captain Tycho
  • Librarian on Bike
  • Tactical in Bolterback
  • Tactical in Lasback
  • Scouts
  • Predator Annihilator
  • Stormraven Gunship
  • 2 x Bike Squads with Attack bike

Eldar - 10 CPs

• Autarch
  • Jetseer
  • 3 x Dire Avengers
  • 9 Banshees + Exarch in Wave Serpent
  • 9 Scorpions + Exarch in Wave Serpent
  • Crimson Hunter Exarch
  • Hemlock

gallery_62972_9890_710056.jpg
gallery_62972_9890_861309.jpg

Pregame
Mission is Vital Intelligence from Chapter Approved GT 2020. Primaries are 5 points for two or more objectives, 5 points for three of more objectives, 5 points for more objectives than your opponent, all of which are scored in Command Phases 2-5. However, you can move off the objective and it remains in your possession until an opponent tags it. Both armies select Bring It Down (Kill a monster/vehicle, 2/3 points depending on wounds) and Engage On All Fronts (Fully in three quarters and away from the centre = 2 points. Four quarters is 3) as secondaries, however, the Blood Angels opt for Raise the Banner High (you basically tag it and objective and gain an extra point for it in the command phase), whilst the Eldar went for the mission specific Data Intercept (completed action gains bonus points based on the amount of objectives you control) Map is laid out as per the mission with six objectives; one in each deployment zone 18" from the centre and a further four equidistant from each other in no man's land. Cover as per the BRB.

BA deployment sees the Stormraven, Lasback, Predator, Scouts (on the home objective), Tycho, Lasticals on the short board edge. On the long edge, the Bikes, Librarian, and Bolterback are pushed further up.

Eldar deployment sees the Scorpion's Wave Serpent pushed up along the long edge and pretty much everything else near the short edge (with a Dire Avenger squad on the home objective).

gallery_62972_9890_960391.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_1130704.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_1852735.jpg

Eldar go first.

The Game

T1

The home objective DA does Data Intercept (they will do this all game). The autrach moves towards a ruin window to draw a bead on the Bolterback knocking off a few wounds with the Jetseer moving onto an objective, Dooms a Bike Squad, but the Banshee's Wave Serpent fails to capitalise. As it moves up, a squad of Dire Avengers takes an objective in it's shadow. Meanwhile, the planes have both gone a full 60" down the board and nuked the Stormraven... The Scorpions' Wave Serpent has taken an objective, as has the more advanced squad of Dire Avengers.

A Tactical Squad disembarks the Bolterback which moves in front of the Wave Serpent, shoots the other Waver Serpent and charges it the one in front of it (along with the non-grav bikes). Meanwhile that same Tactical Squad also shoots the nearby Dire Avengers and gets a charge on both them and the Autach. As the smoke clears, the Autarch has lost two wounds and the Dire Avengers have a lone member left (a couple of wounds have gone from the Serpent too). Across the board the Scouts raise a banner and fire on concentrated on the Dire Avenger squad and Wave Serpent. The Serpent has two wounds left (and is charged by the Lasback to contest it's objective), the Dire Avengers are eventually pummeled off their objective by Tycho. The grav bikes have tried to knock some wounds off the Crimson Hunter before the Librarian charges it and knocks it down a bracket.

gallery_62972_9890_955763.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_1229389.jpg

E - 6:2 - BA

T2

In the top corner the Jetseer smites a few Marines then finishes off the last in combat as the Autarch takes one out with his pistol. The Banshees disembark and overwhelmed the remaining Doomed bikes. Meanwhile, the planes have swapped positions which enables the Hemlock to Smite and then shoot the Librarian off the board. The Crimson Hunter wrecks the Predator with ease and the Scorpions have gotten out of their tank but can't do much as their way is blocked.

The Scouts advance towards cover and the Lasticals do similar towards the contested objective in front of them. The wounded wave Serpent is finally dispatched as Tycho charges in and the grav bikes knock some wounds off the Hemlock.

gallery_62972_9890_879116.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_847555.jpg

E - 21:13 - BA

T3 onwards

The Crimson Hunter circles around the Lasback and wrecks it, whilst the Scorpions are able to gun down Tycho. The Banshees charge and dispatch the Scouts and the Hemlock circles and finishes off the remaining Bike Squad. The handful of BA models do little damage before being wiped in T4 as the Biel'Tan continue to score.

gallery_62972_9890_1593221.jpg

E - 75:15 - BA

Post Mortem

Not how I wanted the Codex swansong to go tbh but I don't mind as it's helped me feel the direction I want this list to go in. I learned quite a lot from this game and it will only get better going forward imo. The list in question is my "Light Mech" list, something I've used a variant of since at least 5th edition. The theme here is akin to Razorspam with a bit of oompth and has gone through evolutions using a Fragioso in a Pod to a Stormraven. This is it's second run out this edition (let's call them pre-season games). Was on the back foot the whole game too - which is pretty much what I did last time with my Pods.

Captain Tycho

• I should have had a Chaplain on Bike but I've misplaced it, so Tycho arrived to save the day. As you'll see with the other character, I need to learn better placement when Flyers are around but he was solid enough for what it is. Only going to get better going forward.

Librarian on Bike

• Never used Galian's staff, completely forgot about Artisan of War :facepalm: It probably needs a different weapon if I'm going to use him like this but the model has a staff so... Possibly should have done better with it but I was reactive the whole game. Not sure what to swap it out for going forwards as Legends will require an update.

Scouts

• Never shot due to secondary duties and so on. Maybe I should run them cheaper if I plan for this.

Tacticals

• As you'd expect. Power sword was a useful addition. Could do with more going forward.

Razorbacks

• Lets just say I'm looking forward to the heavy bolter changes now. Lasback is fine but I'm going to miss my Plaserback :cry:

Bike Squads

• I think I might switch this up to one squad and a squad of Attack Bikes. The chaff squad hasn't done much and I'm loathe to run a large squad these days.

Predator

• Workshorse of the list. Necessary.

Stormraven Gunship

• It got mugged before I could use it which is fine, but that's a lot of points at this level. I may bench it for a smaller Flyer and/or a Whirlwind to try and spread the threats around

Changes I foresee are some form of indirect fire, some more Troops, maybe a different Flyer. It just needs tweaks rather than an overhaul.

Edited by Jolemai

Death Company update 2/4

gallery_62972_9848_825729.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_413581.jpg

Bits done here:

• Bases - but I did them a little differently in that I started from Eshen Grey as opposed to Celestia Grey. Undecided
  • Details and highlights, but I left the scrollwork as it was.
  • Faces, helmet eye sockets done to my current standard

Tricky game there, that Eldar army is fast.

A whirlwind while good, wont help dilute the firepower if it's hidden. If Eldar are a regular fixture of yours, maybe a hunter or stalker? The stalker now gets 12 shots v aircraft for a max burst of 24 damage, while the hunter has that one strong shot that can do a lot of damage. 

This was actually the same list I played with my Dreadnought spam. Other than my list, the main difference was having second turn this time which meant I was on the back foot and hemmed in - with the Dreadnought list and the Pods I was the one pushing forward.

The Whirlwind/Rapier idea is because if I can't get up the field, I need something to take out a backfield camper. With Pods, I have that option. With tanks and a Flyer, the option is gone if the Flyer is nuked and my tanks have to react to closer threats.

I also haven't gotten the Hunter/Stalker kit yet...

• 2 weeks later...