Trying to decide on what my next vow will be. Options:

1. Twelve Death Company with Jump Packs, a power lance, a hand flamer, and two power swords. Also includes a Drop Pod with deathwind missile launcher and locator beacon and Lemartes (old model). At 521 points (I can throw in an extra model with a power axe and jump pack for 35 more points), this is the larger vow but is the most intensive vow for me to complete. All undercoated bar the Drop Pod and the additional model.
  2. Eight "Tactical" Terminators with a chainfist and an assault cannon. Vow includes a Librarian in TDA. 345 points, interesting vow, doable. Needs undercoating.
  3. 2 x 3 man bike squads, each with grav guns and power weapon. Vow includes a multi-melta attack bike and a librarian on (jet)bike. Weighs in at 356 points but will require some more prep work and undercoating.
  4. Cypher, 38 melta bombs. Needs some prep work and undercoating.

Everything else in my collection that isn't painted requires too much work to be a consideration right now. Original plan was option one but I'm really concerned about the amount of time left given how long it's taking me to complete my first vow.

*scratches beard*

I'm close to finishing 5 DC and let me tell you... It's not worth it. There is so much bling I've still missed some parchment and ropes in places I didn't think possible. The work isn't worth the points! Plus we really should at least try to stave off the Rage in the recruits :wink: PLUS I hear Pods are a nightmare to paint?

I say do the TDA, they're a bit flatter and less blinged up and then pop Cypher in as a last one if you have time before ETL close!

Unless you need some Bikers and Gravs to stay competitive, do them, TDA are a bit pants...

Edited by Charlo

Death Company Drop Pod, so it's black with red and silver bits ;) Although I do have to worry about the inside and my vehicle insides are bone... As for the Death Company, they are mostly third edition RAS models with the metal DC bits. Back in the day I bought two boxes of RAS and two boxes of DC and switched them to give me some really cool RAS models and jump DC models. Plus they are undercoated black meaning there's no need for a basecoat...

I painted the inside of my first Stormraven bone. Worst decision of my life. It looks so good that I can't NOT do it elsewhere!

I know, right? If only Bleached Bone wasn't such a pain to use...

My vote goes to the tactical vow reclusiarch!

I think I'm going to go with the DC as there's less prepwork as we need to points. Besides, "you don't make friends with salad" - which is an interesting turn of phrase for a vegetarian but you get my point ;)

At least with Droppods you can get a good geez at the work you did inside! My stormraven's all glued up aside from the front ramp.

The DC vow sounds good, though! Nice and meaty, with some things that oughta be fun to paint.

I left all the doors open on mine, but I did glue it before taking pictures! :teehee:

My Land Raider is blue on the inside. Don't actually recall why...

Yep, it's a "new" Terminator base. The reason I've done it like that is 1) because it gives the old model the extra height to bring it in line with the new Terminator models and 2) because if someone whinges that I'm not using the base supplied, I can take it off (the small base is attached by a small layer of blu-tac).

I'll probably do the same when I get some 32 mm bases, but put them on my characters first.

As for the storm bolter, this model is metal and I really don't want to go down the conversion route.

There was a time when the rules stated that models should come on the base they are supplied with. Today it's (and I'm paraphrasing here) that they are on a suitable base. Whilst I've not came across this yet, there's nothing like being prepared :)

My first squad of Bikes are on WFB cavalry bases (supplied) and I have an Avatar, Eldar War Walker and Wraithlord on square bases. Will likely redo the Bikes when I get enough spare round ones...

• 2 weeks later...

Vow complete.

gallery_62972_9848_755670.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_21257.jpg

I Jolemai, Reclusiarch of the Blood Angels sub-forum and first of his name, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete Lemartes, one twelve man squad of Death Company additionally armed with four power weapons, one hand flamer and jump packs, and one Drop Pod equipped with a deathwind missile launcher and a locator beacon from Codex:Blood Angels of total value 536 points on or before August 1st, 2015. Success will bring eternal glory to my Legion, Chapter, her Successors and her for a and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until my vow is fully completed. That shall be my penitence.

gallery_62972_9848_587772.jpg

Oh, and I'll add some individual photos of the first vow that will (hopefully) be of better quality in due course. Was looking at them in daylight this morning and they look really good clustered up together. Now I just need to find a way of storing them...

Forgot to add this in regards to vow two:

[Disclaimer] These were originally done a long time ago and they have been simply painted black, given Skull White skulls and a green base. Any skull-work I do involves working up from a brown base to bone (so I will be taking the white bits down to brown and working up), whilst my model's bases will eventually look like the Sanguinary Guard's bases. Just putting this here to show that I'm not cheating :smile.:

So yeah, a bit of work. Since that photo was taken, I've made everything black and started drybrushing Chainmail to the metal bits. Just got to remember how to paint a Drop Pod now!

• 3 weeks later...

So far I/we're generating interest in our group for the annual winter Apocalypse.

Interest so far:

• Chaos (one CK) ~ 7k
  • Blood Angels (one IK) ~ 7k
  • Eldar (three titans) ~ 11k
  • Guard (six titans) ~ 10k
  • Deathwing (one titan)
  • Space Marines ~ 4k
  • Khorne Daemonkin ~ 3k
  • Tau ~ 3k
  • Necrons (possibly) ~ 2k

Rule pack so far:

• Main board will be the 8x6 board. This will incorporate an Imperial Primus Redoubt and 1/2 Aquila Strongpoints which will be inactive at the start of the game.
  • There will be 2/3 satellite 4x4 boards, one of which will be a Zone Mortalis board that runs at double time. Each of the Satellite boards will contain a generator which once held, permits you to power up and fire the emplacements on the main board.
  • There will/should be a ZM zonein on each board and travel between the overland zones will be permitted via flight.
  • We are also looking into 100+ non-titan, non-psychic Barrage weapons being able to fire across.
  • Formation-heavy forces preferred (unsure how to work this yet)
  • All painted, WYSIWYG, rules to be hard copy where possible (and no cheeky knock offs!)

Oh, and we're looking at two kegs of beer again.

Should be fun. I've also heard that one of the satellite boards is ready - a snow themed one :wub.:

Now I really should work out what to buy/paint to field more Formations...

Been given the green light to borrow some Blood Angels for the upcoming Apocalypse. This means I can now rock up with the following Formations:

Battle Company (Apocalypse)

Masters of the Chapter (Apocalypse)

Predator Assassin Squadron (Apocalypse)

Armoured Vanguard Squadron (Apocalypse Damocles)

Suppression Force (Apocalypse Damnos)

Whilst I'm just one Death Company Dreadnought and two Librarians away from fielding The Black Rage (Apocalypse) and the Librarian Conclave (Apocalypse) respectively.

Wow.

Holy cow. How many points does that rock up to?

D

I forgot to mention I'm also a Cullexus and an Eversor short of the Assassin Formation. Tallying up the above and including my Paladin & Cerberus, we're looking at ~ 6.2k before upgrades. That also leaves me with ~ 2k tops to fit into a BSF or something.

Been looking over the rules and they are making me giddy:

• The Battle Company has Counter Attack, Tau-style Overwatch support at 12", Stubborn (within 12" of Objectives) and a "free" Orbital Bombardment.
  • The Librarian Conclave has a WC 4 Vortex spell - I'm going to place them in a Drop Pod and give one a vortex grenade too :devil:
  • Masters of the Chapter have a combined Finest Hour (when the Warlord uses it, this squad all get a 3++), generate three Strategic Resources in the first break (this is huge) and one thereafter.
  • The Death Company Formation gets bonus attacks equal to the turn number instead of Rage
  • The Predator squad is basically when an Annihilator hits with all its lascannons it can resolve it as a STR D shot (it also gets re-rolls)
  • The Armoured Vanguard squad gives the Rhinos/Razorbacks taken Tank Hunter and Assault Vehicle rules (!)
  • The Suppression Force is a better version of the C:SM one
  • ... I'll probably use the Codex: Assassins Formation as the Apocalypse one is broken now.