First fight against new chaos

Jacinda

I have been wondering where to put this.

We played a few quick, low point games this weekend to try out some of the CSM new units. "We" means I got out the models while my roommate proceeded to play everyone that showed up :) I think she likes the new CSM and I may have a hard time getting my marines away from her for a game ... at least until her Dark Angels get a new codex. But anyway ...

750 points played on a 4' X 4' board. She had a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with The Black Mace, power armor and wings. 1 squad of CSM with plasma, one small squad of thousand sons and I think 20 cultists. I took Jacobus, a battle conclave of 4 DCA, and 2 crusaders. 2 Battle Sister Squads (melta, flamer, nothing for the superior) in Repressors and 1 Dominion Squad with 2 melta in a rhino.

Her thousand sons may have an invulnerable save but they drop to regular bolters just like any other marine. AP3 bolters are mean, but it is hard for them to get many shots off due to their high cost and they could do nothing against my transport vehicles that I hide in. Her aspiring sorcerer managed to kill one Repressor with a doom bolt but in two full turns of swapping fire, her thousand sons were eliminated while my Battle Sisters lost their ride and one sister.

Cultists tried to take cover on one edge in some woods. One turn of flamer, heavy flamer and bolter fire from my other Repressor killed all but 2 who then ran for their table edge.

Her Daemon Prince went right up the middle towards my conclave and was followed by the CSM on foot. Jacobus and conclave, who were also on foot, went straight for her Daemon Prince as well. It was not a sound tactical move for either of us but we wanted to know how they would do against each other. Shooting from the CSM cost me a crusader but I did manage to charge the Daemon Prince. The Daemon Prince has an I of 8! With the daemon weapon, it got 7 attacks even with doing smash. Only 2 DCA and Jacobus survived its attack. Using axes for the extra strength, the 2 remaining DCA managed to kill it with their 10 attacks total. Since I managed to remove the DP, we did not think The Black Mace would cause it's curse but we wanted to see its effects anyway so I rolled for toughness with Jacobus and the 2 DAC. Jacobus failed his test and was removed.

I was able to consolidate behind terrain so that the CSM would nt be able to shoot at me. They were able to assault, however, and without Jacobus , the poor DCA had no FNP and were down an extra attack. They managed to kill 3 CMS but did not survive the CSM's attack.

By this time her thousand sons were gone, her cultists were gone and my Dominions had arrived from reserves. The remaining CSM did not stand a chance being in the center of the smaller sized board and in range of 2 full squads plus another squad that was only down one model.

In the end, no one expected the thousand sons to be cost effective. If we would have removed them and an equal number of points from my list -- like one full BSS and half of the dominions -- it would have been much closer but still heavily in my favor. Also, being home instead of at the LGS so I can play with Repressors helped a lot!

That Daemon Prince, on the other hand, would still be deadly without the mace and armed with a beer bottle. Sure the Black Mace has Fleshbane, but a S10 vs T4 it is wounding on a 2+ anyway. He was killy but like any other beatstick, all it took was 4 wounds and he was out. For anyone keeping score, that's Jacobus and Conclave(185 points) 1, Daemon Prince (275 points) 0. Once we start playing full games where she can afford a little wrapping for the Prince I expect it to be harder to remove him.

I am getting to comfortable with my army builds. I need to bring out the Penitent Engines more and I HAVE to leave out the conclave sometimes -- I don't think know how to play with out it and that's bad sign of complacency.

Don't we have a battle reports forum? :)

Sounds like a good game. I haven't had a chance to face New Chaos yet, but I had a game with them... Thousand Sons are great against Marines, but overcosted agaisnt everytyhing else... and the lack of any kind of Perils protection means they kil themselves with depressing regularity.

Still doesn't hold a candle to the Daemon Prince Spawning himself on turn 1 though!

Mixing up your lists is always a good idea to keep things fresh, even more so if you find yourself relying on something too much. To be fair there's only so much you can do with our current codex so I wouldn't stress about it too much if I were you.

I too haven't faced the new CSM but generally speaking a marine is a marine whether he's forsaken the God Emperor or not as far as SoB are concerned (unless one day GW does something really radical/odd). Bolter, flamer and melta are all you need! Everything else is the icing on the cake B)

Thanks for the write up and well done on your victory over the traitors B)

Archived