Komodo

After couple of years of lurking, started my very own DA dedicated log. You might have seen couple of my works in showcase thread.

So, here is my new DV tac. squad.
http://i.imgur.com/OQh6u.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KZ998.jpg

Tried some coloured lightning on this one, but it kinda sucked.
http://i.imgur.com/8DMth.jpg

Gonna paint DW squad next.

Edited by Komodo

First time I actually tried OSL, and first time I tried it with airbrush. Well, I agree, I kinda went over the top with it, but I guess it looks not bad. Thanks for the input everyone. Edited by Komodo

Problem with OSL effects are that different surfaces reflect things at different intensities. No way is flesh or cloth as reflective as polished marine armour, and dirty non-polished marine armour isn't as reflective as polished etc.

Additionally, things closer to the source might reflect more of it than something further away. And, the reverse side of an item is going to be in the source's shadow and reflect nothing.

It is indeed really, really tricky to pull it off accurately without looking very false. But actually does that really matter? It adds (colour) drama and atmosphere to models in a way that very little else can. So just leave it as it is and enjoy it on that basis :).

Cheers

I

heya Komodo,

Very Nicely done 2x :) Crisp clean and really well done table top quality,it would be a pleasure to play opposite these on a table!!

although as others have said the OSL is waay OTT :) it isnt wrong in so much as it would be more suitable looking on a diorama piece with some background terrain and atmosphere.

really great stuff otherwise,not super sold on the grey on the base rims...but it is your stuff after all :P

look forward to lots more from you!

cheers Mithril

p.s i almost forgot,whats the paint recipe and technique used for the chest eagles please??

Edited by mithrilforge

I love it! I personnally fail at OSL at an epic level, so my plasma weaps will always be at a neutral state heh.

crisp colors, and I personnally love the look...lots and lots of drama!

Thanks everyone for the input.

p.s i almost forgot,whats the paint recipe and technique used for the chest eagles please?

Pretty easy. I still got plenty of old paints, so

1) Dheneb stone

2) Wash with devlan mud

3) Bleached bone highlight

4) Skull white highlight

Nice work there - I will have to +1 for the OSL being a bit too much, but you are far braver than me. I am too chicken to try OSL at all :lol:

Nice and pretty models :(

As for the OSL... the plasma pistol you could still get away with it :P

But the PC I'd say are an "easy fix": just layer a bit to bring back the colour you covered and you'll probably be good to go ;)

Keep it up!

Personaly I like the OSL effect. If we are going to go as far as to look for details as intensity and reflectiveness (is that even a word?), lets start first with armor highlights that most people do, reflecting the light from every possible angle and making TRON look like a night sleep lamp. My point is, lets not look for needles in a hay stack. Those models are extremely good.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I use an airbrush (nothing fancy, Iwata revolution), so it's much more easier for me. But nevertheless here it is:

1. Spray Bestial brown equiv. all over

2. Spray 1:1 Mix of Bestial brown and Bleached bone equiv.

3. Spray Bleached bone.

4. Spray Skull white.

5. Cheap woman hair spray

6. In order for these two identical brother-twins to differ I used black-brown-sepia wash (black, added a bit of bestial and a bit of vermin brown, then simply added some cheap vodka. It creates a nice wash, I almost switched to my hand-made washes. Tac squad weapons and armour was washed in my h-m. wash) on one of them. Then both was washed with black wash in recesses and cavities.

7. Cautiously remove any excess dried wash with white spirit. That's why I used a hair spray -- to protect precious coats of paint from rubbing off

8. Highlight with skull white with normal detail brush (a zero 0 size).

That's it. It was relatively easy and fast to paint the armour. But all these tiny little details eat up a lot of time.

Edited by Komodo