Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Komodo's log of Unforgiven

Deathwing knights Caestus assault ram Landspeeder finished

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

After couple of years of lurking, started my very own DA dedicated log. You might have seen couple of my works in showcase thread.

So, here is my new DV tac. squad.
OQh6u.jpg
KZ998.jpg

Tried some coloured lightning on this one, but it kinda sucked.
8DMth.jpg

Gonna paint DW squad next.

Edited by Komodo, 29 April 2013 - 12:14 PM.

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,374 posts
Very nice squad, brother, although I think the OSL is a wee bit heavy, imho. :tu:
  • DAG42 likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

WatchCaptainAzrael

WatchCaptainAzrael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 702 posts
Sucked, he says... :tu:
23.jpg
I am a bundle of stress and insecurities. Ignoring me is best thing you can do for 70% of the time.

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,509 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves\Novamarines
These are lovely, really crisp paint job and lovely green.

I too think the OSL may be a bit heavy for my tastes, but it looks epic nonetheless.

More please!

Cheers,

WW

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
First time I actually tried OSL, and first time I tried it with airbrush. Well, I agree, I kinda went over the top with it, but I guess it looks not bad. Thanks for the input everyone.

Edited by Komodo, 29 October 2012 - 12:45 PM.

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,453 posts
Problem with OSL effects are that different surfaces reflect things at different intensities. No way is flesh or cloth as reflective as polished marine armour, and dirty non-polished marine armour isn't as reflective as polished etc.

Additionally, things closer to the source might reflect more of it than something further away. And, the reverse side of an item is going to be in the source's shadow and reflect nothing.

It is indeed really, really tricky to pull it off accurately without looking very false. But actually does that really matter? It adds (colour) drama and atmosphere to models in a way that very little else can. So just leave it as it is and enjoy it on that basis :).

Cheers
I
gallery_4666_1311_36564.jpg

Keeper of the Dark Fortress

Armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights and a cheeky little Inquisitiorial detachment.
(I'd have more if my wife would let me)

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,261 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech
heya Komodo,
Very Nicely done 2x :) Crisp clean and really well done table top quality,it would be a pleasure to play opposite these on a table!!
although as others have said the OSL is waay OTT :) it isnt wrong in so much as it would be more suitable looking on a diorama piece with some background terrain and atmosphere.
really great stuff otherwise,not super sold on the grey on the base rims...but it is your stuff after all :P
look forward to lots more from you!

cheers Mithril

p.s i almost forgot,whats the paint recipe and technique used for the chest eagles please??

Edited by mithrilforge, 29 October 2012 - 12:13 AM.

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png PtR_Black_Pearl_Badge.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_48988_6285_17537.pngETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificergallery_6494_6331_8260.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Interrogator Stobz

Interrogator Stobz

++ VILICUS PISCARIAM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,288 posts
Cool minis brother K, I'm thinking 'gets hot' rule and a lot of ones being rolled :lol:

Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave.

gallery_48988_15465_19298.pngETL_2013_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_05f_PtR_2012.gifETL_Medal_06.gif

Stobz'z DAngles

Izzuan

Izzuan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 150 posts
  • Faction: Iron Reavers
I love it! I personnally fail at OSL at an epic level, so my plasma weaps will always be at a neutral state heh.

crisp colors, and I personnally love the look...lots and lots of drama!

If I don't post on your WIP, it's not cause I dont like your work, it's cause I havent had a chance to read the whole thread and ogle the models yet!!!

We are Iron, and we are Death.

And We Shall...Know...No...Fear.

Path_to_Redemption_05W.jpg

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
Thanks everyone for the input.

p.s i almost forgot,whats the paint recipe and technique used for the chest eagles please?

Pretty easy. I still got plenty of old paints, so

1) Dheneb stone
2) Wash with devlan mud
3) Bleached bone highlight
4) Skull white highlight

elmo

elmo

++ SANGUINEUM MARIONETUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,873 posts
  • Faction: T'au/Dark Angels/711th CCAB
Nice work there - I will have to +1 for the OSL being a bit too much, but you are far braver than me. I am too chicken to try OSL at all :lol:

Tanhausen

Tanhausen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,340 posts
Nice and pretty models :(

As for the OSL... the plasma pistol you could still get away with it :P

But the PC I'd say are an "easy fix": just layer a bit to bring back the colour you covered and you'll probably be good to go ;)

Keep it up!

Herald of DA fun, vocal supporter of proper manners and fostering enjoyment!

2015 Projects - FW Dreadnought Chaplain WIP Painting a Hellbrute just for fun

ETL_03_Custos_Fidei_Vow_01.jpgETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

Brother Immolator

Brother Immolator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,724 posts
Personaly I like the OSL effect. If we are going to go as far as to look for details as intensity and reflectiveness (is that even a word?), lets start first with armor highlights that most people do, reflecting the light from every possible angle and making TRON look like a night sleep lamp. My point is, lets not look for needles in a hay stack. Those models are extremely good.

Img_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012D.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gif
"Ninety-nine boltershells in my bandolier! Ninety-nine shells in my bandolier! Shoot a heretic down Load another round Ninety-eight boltershells in my bandolier!"

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,261 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech
:) Thanks for the recipe Komodo,
i too have all those "old" paints,i will def give it a go.
keep up the good work!

Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png PtR_Black_Pearl_Badge.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_48988_6285_17537.pngETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificergallery_6494_6331_8260.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
Haven't posted for quite a time. My DW terminators in progress.
Posted Image

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
Posted Image
Some more progress.

Posted Image
and an in-game picture of my older DW squad.

Edited by Komodo, 19 November 2012 - 12:18 PM.

Brother Immolator

Brother Immolator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,724 posts
Very inspiring. The vintage chaplain is a great match for them!

Img_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012D.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gif
"Ninety-nine boltershells in my bandolier! Ninety-nine shells in my bandolier! Shoot a heretic down Load another round Ninety-eight boltershells in my bandolier!"

demio

demio

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 190 posts
Lovely models mate but I have to say really jelous of that Chaplain!

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
Got him mint in the box condition, for a couple of pounds.

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
Posted Image
Finished two generic termies. Now to the "tasty" ones.
New termies are soo much better than AoBR ones, more character, nice pose and details.

Brother Immolator

Brother Immolator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,724 posts
Impressive! Care to share the technique?

Takes notepad and scribbles down shamelessly :D

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
Well, I use an airbrush (nothing fancy, Iwata revolution), so it's much more easier for me. But nevertheless here it is:

1. Spray Bestial brown equiv. all over
2. Spray 1:1 Mix of Bestial brown and Bleached bone equiv.
3. Spray Bleached bone.
4. Spray Skull white.
5. Cheap woman hair spray

6. In order for these two identical brother-twins to differ I used black-brown-sepia wash (black, added a bit of bestial and a bit of vermin brown, then simply added some cheap vodka. It creates a nice wash, I almost switched to my hand-made washes. Tac squad weapons and armour was washed in my h-m. wash) on one of them. Then both was washed with black wash in recesses and cavities.

7. Cautiously remove any excess dried wash with white spirit. That's why I used a hair spray -- to protect precious coats of paint from rubbing off
8. Highlight with skull white with normal detail brush (a zero 0 size).

That's it. It was relatively easy and fast to paint the armour. But all these tiny little details eat up a lot of time.

Edited by Komodo, 19 November 2012 - 10:53 PM.

Komodo

Komodo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 477 posts
For those who liked my Chaplain, here it is in all his glory. Photos are kinda bad, a lot of unnecessary reflections. And no water effects added on the toxic sludge.

Posted Image

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,453 posts
That's a really good looking old termy chaplain :).
gallery_4666_1311_36564.jpg

Keeper of the Dark Fortress

Armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights and a cheeky little Inquisitiorial detachment.
(I'd have more if my wife would let me)

Brother Immolator

Brother Immolator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,724 posts
:tu:.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Deathwing knights, Caestus assault ram, Landspeeder finished

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users