2000pts of Volkite awesomeness

Olis

This is more of an exercise than a real army list but I thought I'd whack it up and see what people think:

Legion Praetor

- Master Crafted Volkite Serpenta

- Paragon Blade

- Artificer Armour

- Iron Halo

- Digital Lasers

-Frag and Krak Grenades

Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

160pts

Legion Command Squad

- 2 Extra Chosen

- Volkite Charger x4

- Power Sword x5

- Artificer Armour

- Legion Standard

- Bolt Pistols

- Frag and Krak Grenades

230 points

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad x2

- Power Armour

- Bolters

- Chainsword/Combat Blade

- Frag and Krak Grenades

- Nuncio-Vox

- Volkite Serpenta x5

- Power Sword x5

- Volkite Charger x1

220 points x2

Legion Destroyer Squad

- Power Armour

- Twin Bolt Pistols

- Frag, Krak and Rad Grenades

- Jump Packs x5

- Volkite Serpenta x1

- Phosphex Bombs x3

185 points

Contemptor Dreadnought

- Smoke Launchers

- Searchlight

- Twin-Linked Lascannon

- Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon

200 points

Legion Tactical Support Squad

- Power Armour

- 5 Extra Marines

- Volkite Caliver x9

- Bolt Pistols

- Chainsword/Combat Blade (sergeant only)

- Frag and Krak Grenades

220 Points

Legion Heavy Support Squad

- Power Armour

- Volkite Culverin x5

- Bolt Pistols

- Frag and Krak Grenades

185 points

Legion Predator x2

- Searchlight

- Smoke Launcher

- Predator Cannon

- Lascannon sponsons x2

250 points

Legion Vindicator

- Searchlight

- Smoke Launcher

- Laser Destroyer

- Combi-Bolter

130 points

I know - I need wheeling away. :ermm:

Any thoughts on the list? I got about halfway through and then I realised I needed some anti-armour firepower. Is it enough do you think?

What Legion do you plan on using?

Well... If I actually commit to this list, which I may or may not yet, it'll be the Fists. I've been a son of Dorn at heart for a long time. <_<

@ Witchunter Kraine - Jetbikes, you say? I never really considered them seriously. However, the options you suggest do make them seem appealing...

What Legion do you plan on using?

Well... If I actually commit to this list, which I may or may not yet, it'll be the Fists. I've been a son of Dorn at heart for a long time. <_<

@ Witchunter Kraine - Jetbikes, you say? I never really considered them seriously. However, the options you suggest do make them seem appealing...

I'd be surprised if the Imperial Fists favoured Destroyer Squads over, say, Breachers. Destroyers just seem a little more Iron Warriors. I'd be interested to hear how people actually get on with Volkite weaponry - it seems like it would be great against IG / Eldar Guardians / etc but I have reservations over how well they'll work against MEQ or TEQ armies (of which I mostly face).

I'd be surprised if the Imperial Fists favoured Destroyer Squads over, say, Breachers. Destroyers just seem a little more Iron Warriors. I'd be interested to hear how people actually get on with Volkite weaponry - it seems like it would be great against IG / Eldar Guardians / etc but I have reservations over how well they'll work against MEQ or TEQ armies (of which I mostly face).

This

I suppose with the extra wounds it causes when you fail your save it could be more devastating than I realise, but as we're only really facing other marine armies at this point (no real rules for xenos enemies, though there's no reason why you can't just use the 40k set) I wonder how many it'll actually cause?

Has anyone done a math hammer on what damage a squad of volkites would do on a marine?

I'd be surprised if the Imperial Fists favoured Destroyer Squads over, say, Breachers. Destroyers just seem a little more Iron Warriors.

Well, I'm sure there was some Destroyers in the Fists somewhere. :P

In regards to Volkite weapons - to me they're a fairly cheap (usually +5 pts unless it's a heavy weapon) upgrade to bolt weapons. Granted they have a shorter range but with Deflagrate they'd decimate 5+ armour saves and might also cause a bonus casualty in heavier armoured troops. I haven't done the maths yet though. :P

next question, how do you plan on modelling the volkite weapons?

Or will you just get a bank loan and buy the FW stuff when it's released?

Hmm. Probably will get them (the Volkites) from FW in one go, tbh, if I go with this list. Anything else might have to be done in separate batches, money permitting.

If that really becomes the case, I'll have to create a model each for Dollus, Solun and Krane, then. :lol:

Funny we should talk about that, actually, as I've been thinking of how Crocell would be modelled through his various iterations in my/our story. :tu:

If that really becomes the case, I'll have to create a model each for Dollus, Solun and Krane, then. :P

Funny we should talk about that, actually, as I've been thinking of how Crocell would be modelled through his various iterations in my/our story. ;)

I think I coud make Crocell easily with his Mark IV armour and fur cape, it would be interesting, besides that will be my goal once I get the heresy book and some units to start off with. I can't forget Tarkain, De'kar or Belathur either now can I ;)

About the Destroyer Squads, I'm not too sure Fists would have them. Especially after reading the various Heresy books about the Imperial Fists. It just doesn't fit their character. The Iron Warriors would have no such problems though.

And for the list, I can't help (sorry) as I don't know half the rules yet ;) But I do wonder whether you had considered including some Volkite weapons in that army list?

Ludovic

About the Destroyer Squads, I'm not too sure Fists would have them. Especially after reading the various Heresy books about the Imperial Fists. It just doesn't fit their character. The Iron Warriors would have no such problems though.

The way I'm looking at it is that the Fists had at least some Destroyers - that is unless FW tells me they didn't. ;)

Saying that, I could be tempted to swap them out for Jetbikes... ;)

I'm sure this list would be terrible against Orks/Eldar/IG, but the sum of all the extra shots could be a blow even for good armours.

I don't know if you made this for fun, but I'm positive it could be a valid choice in these numbers; the Fists surely fit the character and I agree on destroyers. :whistling:

I'm sure this list would be terrible against Orks/Eldar/IG, but the sum of all the extra shots could be a blow even for good armours.

Terrible? How so? :)

I don't know if you made this for fun, but I'm positive it could be a valid choice in these numbers; the Fists surely fit the character and I agree on destroyers. :)

I did, although it might possibly end up being a genuine army. Thanks for the support, btw. :)

Anyway, for a slightly alternative list I'd swap out this:

Legion Destroyer Squad

- Power Armour

- Twin Bolt Pistols

- Frag, Krak and Rad Grenades

- Jump Packs x5

- Volkite Serpenta x1

- Phosphex Bombs x3

185 points

For this:

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron

- Power Armour

- 1 extra Jetbiker

- Bolt Pistol

- Frag and Krak Grenades

- Jetbike w. Heavy Bolter

- Volkite Culverin x1

180 points

Might give me some extra mobility, firepower and toughness but I'm trading battlefield roles here. Both units harrass, granted, but Destroyers tend to be a salt-the-earth unit that messes with the enemy and acts as back-up for the hammer unit whereas Sky Hunters chip and wheedle the enemy with somewhat painful firepower and act as a mobile annoyance.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Should I switch in something else, or would it throw out the (what little) synergy of the list?

Terrible? How so? :huh:

"Terrible" in the Good way! :lol:

You had me worried there - I thought I had missed something! ^_^

@AngelsAbsolute - Nice weapon, although I would have to modify the front of the gun, if I get any, so that it fits in with how I envision what a Volkite weapon looks like. :)

Archived