Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500pts Flesh Tearers (SW & BA) Drop Pods & Vanguard

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Wanted to give a different type of list a run out and I hear ToS is far more geared towards the for fun style of play than hardcore tournament play these days. Still I would like to see how I do as I believe I have the foundations of something competitive here (apart from against Daemons). This basically started as me trying to work in Superior Grey Hunter drop pod units into my BA list in place of the weaker BA Assault Marine options. Originally it included a 5 man Sternguard unit, until I realised I could achieve the same goal with Wolf Guard and get a *free* TDA model in with the bargain in exchange for the Special Issue ammo. I really like VGV in this iteration of the game. I will be taking them a lot especially in 1750 games where they can almost guarantee they will come in before a Stormraven and deal with any nasty Interceptor units. In this list they are more of a disturbance, much like the Death Company but targeting different units in different ways.

Space Wolf Primary:
Rune Priest (Attached to Plasma Grey Hunters to hold mid table objective)
Runic Axe
Runic Armour

9 Wolf Guard
Terminator Armour w Power Axe & Combi Plasma (Attached to Grey Hunters)
Terminator Armour w Power Axe & Combi-Melta (Attached to Grey Hunters)
Terminator Armour w Power Axe & Heavy Flamer **thanks Brom MKIV**
3 Wolf Guard in Power Armour with Combi-Plasma
2 Wolf Guard in Power Armour with Combi-Melta
Drop Pod

8 Grey Hunters
Plasmagun
Banner
Drop Pod

7 Grey Hunters
Plasmagun
Banner
Drop Pod

8 Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Banner
Drop Pod

BLOOD ANGELS allies:

Librarian
Force Axe

5 Scouts
Sniper Rifles

7 Death Company
2 Power Axes
Drop Pod

5 Vanguard Veterans
Jump Packs
2 Meltabombs
Power Sword
Power Axe

Not cast in stone but I will probably drop down in this order...

Deploy
Scouts
Turn 1
Pod 1 - Librarian & Death Company
Pod 2 - Combi Melta TDA Wolf Guard, 8 Grey Hunters with Meltagun
Pod 3 - Wolf Guard pack
Reserves
Pod 4 - Rune Priest, Combi-Plasma TDA WG, 7 Grey Hunters with Plasmagun
Pod 5 - Combi Plasma TDA Wolf Guard, 8 Grey Hunters with Plasmagun
Vanguard Veterans

Scouts do deckchair duty. The melta GHs and Wolf Guard should be able to severely hurt two big targets first turn. I should get First Blood here. The Melta GH will be trying to drop near an objective in the opponents control zone. The DC come in somewhere they can advance on another objective with cover to protect. The Death Company offer a very scary target that should hopefully distract from the Grey Hunters and put them last on the priority list after DC and Wolf Guard which are huge threats if left not dealt with. VGV should come in turn 2 on a 3+ with a re-roll and get off a charge on a HS backfield unit or something behind a Defence Line. Reserved GHs come in as and when and go for other objectives.

I'm pretty sure Daemons will eat my face. And nids are probably going to be a pain if I can't vapourize the MCs early on. Everything else I am confident in being able to go head to head with. IG not really a problem. Eldar and Dark Eldar I dont mind. Other Marines I am confident in being able to take down. I should be able to ignore most flyers by pushing objectives all towards the board edge and coming in close to his edge so flyers will need to turn twice or ongoing reserve to come back round. Or hover and get Plasma gunned.

As I said more of a 'for fun' list but with a competitive edge to it. I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by SamaNagol, 07 November 2012 - 01:58 AM.

Brom MKIV

Brom MKIV

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,442 posts

I really like VGV in this iteration of the game. I will be taking them a lot especially in 1750 games where they can almost guarantee they will come in before a Stormraven and deal with any nasty Interceptor units.

This is awesome. VVs have cause problems for me in the past but now they are even better, not sure why most webgoers have avoided these guys thus far. Why the axe though or is this specifically for space wolves with wgpl's in tda?

I like the list overall and I think it will be fun to play with and against so congrats there. I also really like the wolf guard. I currently run something very similar so my suggestion would be to change one combi weapon to a heavy flamer and if possible find room for a 10th member, just to give access to another HF. This unit along with the VVs make great rapid interdiction units. The HF(s) is/are a must though IMO so they remain a serious threat after they've wiped their target unit. If you lose the VVs axe and the runic armour you can get the 7th WG in TDA with 2 HFs. Just a thought.

..All Space Marine legions and chapters, loyal and traitor, cast a shadow that resembles the Dark Angels.
-FerociousBeast

The only reason that Bjorn is in a dreadnought is that he fought Chuck Norris and won but the backlash of that much awesome mortally wounded him.....
-Emptyedens

"My IG infantry would kill for bolters... but they have lasguns, so they can't" -stripeydave

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
The Power Axe in the VGV unit is 'hidden' effectively as the sergeant gets a free Power Sword and can accept challenges leaving the Axe to just swing and kill with a higher tally of wounds. They won't be attacking anything nastier than a pack of Long Fangs with a TDA Wolf Guard in anyway.

I will take your advice on the Heavy Flamer, but as the Rune Priest is my Warlord and with things like Bale Flamers about I feel the need for a 2+ save on him to be quite necessary so probably just the 1 will make it in.

Edited by SamaNagol, 04 November 2012 - 07:36 PM.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Would love some more feedback on this if anyone has anything pertinent to add?

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

What's your plan for the BA lib? Powers, deployment, etc.
24 years of Blood Angels

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

I've got some ideas, but its already pretty dang solid. I understand your thought now from my 1500pt thread where you mention using SW base then cherry pick BA units.

For me, the army is an alphastrike-list which actually prefers melee after the drop-blast! lol eat that Vulkan-podders. Having one Terminator per-squad is such an interesting concept, please let me know how it works out!!

For having so many points in Reserve, I'm curious if a Comms-Relay wouldn't be prudent. Probably not worth the 70pt investment at the 1500pt list-size, but if you expand this list to a larger size then I absolutely insist you'd need one then.

Active Duty United States Army, Alumni of The Citadel Military College. 6th Edition: 54 Win - 6 Tie - 5 Loss // 7th Edition: 10 Win - 0 Tie - 0 Loss

Nine Principles of Warfare: Objective, Offensive, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command, Security, Surprise, Simplicity. In tabletop wargaming, 8 of 9 apply.

Military terminology: A tarpit is a Fix. A bubblewrap is a Screen. Deathstars are Shock Units. Baiting units is an Ambush. Buffing is Force Multiplication. A pre-emptive decision is a Spoiling Action. Utilizing maneuver to influence your opponent's maneuver is Diversion. Special tricks that execute in 1-2 turns are Tactics, contrasted against your over-arching approach to winning a match is Strategy.

I play Semi-Competitive because after being a true believer and disciple of Competitiveness for years, I personally feel that 6th Edition made a mockery of game balance... but I've never had more fun than I do now! I still play nails-hard and I play to Win, but nevermore at the expense of fun for my opponent. Play what you like, or you won't like to play

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Thanks! Yeh, I quickly realised that the resiliency of the Grey Hunters against being assaulted meant that I could happily drop them down and Rapid Fire other troops choices without really caring if I get assaulted back. And by dropping down 3 pods turn 1, I mitigate the threat of them being shot up as the target priority is heavily weighted towards my 2 non scoring units.

All I am doing is swapping lacklustre drop podding BA troops for super useful SW ones, and taking the better Librarian option too. Trading out the FnP and Furious Charge for a 2+/5++ sergeant model to soak up mundane wounds and smash some heads in a challenge.

The coms relay would only be of benefit to the 2 units of GHs in pods as the vgv unit has an 89% chance of coming in turn 2.

At 1750pts I drop the Scouts for Long Fangs. I want to find a way to add a Storm Raven and add Arjac Rockfist. Arjac Rockfist is INSANELY GOOD in 6th edition.

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

I understand your thought now from my 1500pt thread where you mention using SW base then cherry pick BA units.

That was me, samanagol doesn't have a single post in that thread ;)

The coms relay would only be of benefit to the 2 units of GHs in pods as the vgv unit has an 89% chance of coming in turn 2.

I want to find a way to add a Storm Raven and add Arjac Rockfist. Arjac Rockfist is INSANELY GOOD in 6th edition.

From playing a lot of pods it's not like you always want them to arrive early either. There might be a specific threat (or target of opportunity!) to one of your podded units that you want to remove (demch, remove bubblewrap or important model) before it drops. Does the coms relay allow you to reroll all reserve rolls or just failed ones? No rulebook atm.

Don't you think he's a little expensive for a 2 wound model? The local SW players were all over him and Njal when 6th dropped but now I don't seem them in their lists anymore.
24 years of Blood Angels

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

That was me, samanagol doesn't have a single post in that thread :)

Oh no! whomp whomp.... my fail, sorry about that K&F lol. I knew it was somebody who has good opinions that mentioned it, didn't mean to confuse you and Sama

I want to find a way to add a Storm Raven and add Arjac Rockfist. Arjac Rockfist is INSANELY GOOD in 6th edition.

From playing a lot of pods it's not like you always want them to arrive early either. There might be a specific threat (or target of opportunity!) to one of your podded units that you want to remove (demch, remove bubblewrap or important model) before it drops. Does the coms relay allow you to reroll all reserve rolls or just failed ones? No rulebook atm.

Don't you think he's a little expensive for a 2 wound model? The local SW players were all over him and Njal when 6th dropped but now I don't seem them in their lists anymore.

Yes, the relay lets you re-roll whatever you want-- which exactly highlights your point about sometimes needing to delay things. Comms Relay is a Strategic piece of gear, directly benefitting certain small-builds but practically mandatory at high points-levels if you have 3+ units in reserve.

For Arjac, I'm with knife&fork. He's good at what he does. Insanely good. I know it, you know it, and your opponent knows it. Problem is, there's quite a few lists around that carry cheap naked sergeants, meaning sometimes he's not too economical. If you're taking him for tanking, that's good but would you rather have Arjac or an entire extra squad of GH? Drop-podding him is basically the only way you can play him either; well that and Land Raider I suppose. A mobile army just avoids him-- but versus gunlines he runs rampant.

He's like a 'Lysander Lite' but without the Force Multiplication. Granted, Lysander is one of the most undercosted Heroes in the game so its sort of unfair comparison.

Edited by CitadelArmyGuy, 07 November 2012 - 02:50 PM.

Active Duty United States Army, Alumni of The Citadel Military College. 6th Edition: 54 Win - 6 Tie - 5 Loss // 7th Edition: 10 Win - 0 Tie - 0 Loss

Nine Principles of Warfare: Objective, Offensive, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command, Security, Surprise, Simplicity. In tabletop wargaming, 8 of 9 apply.

Military terminology: A tarpit is a Fix. A bubblewrap is a Screen. Deathstars are Shock Units. Baiting units is an Ambush. Buffing is Force Multiplication. A pre-emptive decision is a Spoiling Action. Utilizing maneuver to influence your opponent's maneuver is Diversion. Special tricks that execute in 1-2 turns are Tactics, contrasted against your over-arching approach to winning a match is Strategy.

I play Semi-Competitive because after being a true believer and disciple of Competitiveness for years, I personally feel that 6th Edition made a mockery of game balance... but I've never had more fun than I do now! I still play nails-hard and I play to Win, but nevermore at the expense of fun for my opponent. Play what you like, or you won't like to play

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
There is no Sergeant in the game who will last a phase of combat with Arjac. Which means in the next combat phase he will be free to challenge any IC. And will most likely win.

3+ to hit with re roll against any IC or MC with S10 to wound means he will be doing a lot of damage with those attacks. And against Daemon Princes or Tervigons, being able to drop them down to I1 from a shooting attack is beautiful.

What's your plan for the BA lib? Powers, deployment, etc.

Prescience + 1. Goes in with the Death Co.

Edited by SamaNagol, 07 November 2012 - 08:45 PM.

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

Prescience + 1. Goes in with the Death Co.

That means no powers on the drop and being the only character in a unit.
24 years of Blood Angels

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
No buffs. And I have no problem rejecting a challenge with him. Anyone who is foolish enough to deal with Death Company by charging them is doing my job for me.

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts
Well the original 1500pt list is written extremely well, if any changes were to be made I'd consider this-- drop one meltabomb off the Vanguards to give a combi-melta to the Runepriest. Then make the 'melta' GH as the 7-man so that the Runepriest and melta WG can be in that pod-- three melta has far greater chance of securing that important First Blood.

Also, the scouts are doing nothing. Take 5 GH for 75pts to do your backfield babysitting. Better in far more situations.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
lmao of course! Grey Hunters are only 15 pts too! Good grief.

The thing with putting the Rune Priest in the Melta unit is I am reticent to put such a fragile Warlord that close to the enemy. Sure, he can basically hide in the unit whilst the WGPL is alive to accept challenges but I dunno.... Kinda worried about that. And I felt having him in a mid-board objective holding unit would maximise his range of influence with his dispell and buff spells.

I wish now I could drop the Scouts but the tournament is this weekend and I still have the 2 librarians and Death Co to paint. Unlikely to be able to get another 5 Marines done. Shall have to hope the Sniper Rifles do something.... somehow... haha

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

lmao of course! Grey Hunters are only 15 pts too! Good grief.

The thing with putting the Rune Priest in the Melta unit is I am reticent to put such a fragile Warlord that close to the enemy. Sure, he can basically hide in the unit whilst the WGPL is alive to accept challenges but I dunno.... Kinda worried about that. And I felt having him in a mid-board objective holding unit would maximise his range of influence with his dispell and buff spells.

I wish now I could drop the Scouts but the tournament is this weekend and I still have the 2 librarians and Death Co to paint. Unlikely to be able to get another 5 Marines done. Shall have to hope the Sniper Rifles do something.... somehow... haha

Sorry I didn't get ya that advice sooner! And good luck this weekend!

I understand about the Runepriest not taking melta. Perhaps taking combi-plasma? Idk I was just trying to see what might optimize an already well written list.

Just too bad about those Scouts. You'll do fine anyhow!

Edited by CitadelArmyGuy, 07 November 2012 - 11:12 PM.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Yeah it's not really a super serious tourney anyway. I just wanted to see how all alpha striking lists could hold up at this points level.

Thanks for these little surgical tips. It is great to get other peoples' perspectives on this kind of stuff because, as illustrated by the Heavy Flamer and the Grey Hunters there are some things you just can't see for yourself when you are in list building mode and get carried away

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Managed to rig up another 5 Grey Hunters and a Heavy Flamer Termy so I will be running that at ToS!

Brom MKIV

Brom MKIV

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,442 posts
Its always funny reading posts about grey Hunters from players used to the troops from other codices. They are just so good. Podded GHs with a tda wgpl are indeed amazing, I run 2, often with rune priests attached. Anyway I would say the cbmelta isn't needed on the RP because living lightning is just better. Its like dropping double melta plus 2-3 auto cannons next to side armour. Even better with a chooser for bs5 that will also screw CSM d3 infiltrators.

I understand the need for runic armour and I've actually gone back to using it whenever possible so if you still need pts you could lose 1 GH from the 8 man packs, 7+wgpl in tda is very tough better than 10 other meq id wager. Don't drop the mbs though, you will want the ability to assault armour.

Lastly I'm happy to see your running the wg eraser pack. Mine is 203 for 2 tda/hf + 4 pa guys with cbplasmas and they answer anything short of a land raider, even wiped mephiston in one phase.

Edited by Brom MKIV, 09 November 2012 - 08:21 PM.

..All Space Marine legions and chapters, loyal and traitor, cast a shadow that resembles the Dark Angels.
-FerociousBeast

The only reason that Bjorn is in a dreadnought is that he fought Chuck Norris and won but the backlash of that much awesome mortally wounded him.....
-Emptyedens

"My IG infantry would kill for bolters... but they have lasguns, so they can't" -stripeydave

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Well I went 2-2-1 over the weekend.

In the end, the list I took was...

Space Wolf Primary:
Rune Priest (Attached to Plasma Grey Hunters)
Runic Axe
Runic Armour

9 Wolf Guard
Terminator Armour w Power Axe & Combi-Melta (Attached to Grey Hunters)
Terminator Armour w Power Axe & Heavy Flamer
3 Wolf Guard in Power Armour with Combi-Plasma
2 Wolf Guard in Power Armour with Combi-Melta
Drop Pod 35

8 Grey Hunters
Plasmagun
Banner
Drop Pod

7 Grey Hunters
Plasmagun
Wolf Banner
Drop Pod

8 Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Wolf Banner
Drop Pod

5 Grey Hunters 75

BLOOD ANGELS allies:

Librarian
Force Axe

7 Death Company
2 Power Axes
Drop Pod

5 Vanguard Veterans
Jump Packs
2 Meltabombs
Power Sword
Power Axe

Wins vs Necrons mini flyers with Oberon + his boss, and wins vs Codex Marines w/ 2 Stormtalons and a Jump Pack captain + Assault Marines

I really liked how the Alpha strike worked. Firstly it almost always guaranteed me first blood and line breaker, which was great for tight games. It also presents a lot of tough choices for opponents to make early on.

I can't really say anything under performed. The VGV did the worst and that was only because 1 game they scattered the full 6 inches and mishapped, another game they came down to double team a Keeper of Secrets that died to Plasma and Life Leech shots so they weren't needed, another game they came down and charged a 5 man Dec squad causing 1 wound, and the sergeant died in a challenge to a normal Sergeant with a chainsword.... But I can see their value. They just rolled really badly and you cannot make informed decisions on aberrations of chance.

Need to learn how to position my Grey Hunters better so that the bullet catchers do their job and the Terminator isn't literally taking EVERY hit. 2+ still fails some times.

Perhaps pushing up to 1750 by adding a 10 man Jump Pack Assault Squad from BA with 2 flamers and a LC/MB serg and put another body in the DC with a Power Weapon going in a GH unit. I don't wanna just add a Stormraven and derp derp derp lol

Edited by SamaNagol, 12 November 2012 - 04:12 PM.

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

Well I went 2-2-1 over the weekend.
Wins vs Necrons mini flyers with Oberon + his boss, and wins vs Codex Marines w/ 2 Stormtalons and a Jump Pack captain + Assault Marines

I really liked how the Alpha strike worked. Firstly it almost always guaranteed me first blood and line breaker, which was great for tight games. It also presents a lot of tough choices for opponents to make early on.
Need to learn how to position my Grey Hunters better so that the bullet catchers do their job and the Terminator isn't literally taking EVERY hit. 2+ still fails some times.

Congrats on the wins! Now tell me more about those ties&loss. Don't worry I don't judge-- it's just I felt your list was very very well written so I'm curious what mission-combos and opposing lists you came up against.

Summarized mini-batreps requested!

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
First loss was against a Necron force with Destroyer Lord, Rez Orb Lord in Chariot, 2 Night Scythe Warrior units, Doom Scythe, 6 Wraiths (no whip coils) and 3 Annhilation Barges, 2 x 3 Scarab bases (I think that's it)

Necron match: Kill Points and Diagnonal deployment

He deployed castled up with Barges and chariot to the sides, Wraiths in front with the Destroyer Lord and the rest hunkered down.

I dropped the Wolfguard down and smoked the Chariot, dropped Grey Hunters down and rolled up 2 Melta hits on a barge which then managed to result in 1 glance... Death Company landed in front of his lines and fired some Bolters at Wraiths. DC eat Wraiths. He commented that he really liked the list as it made him have to make some tough decisions.

Barge that survived moved away and 2 x 5 Warriors stepped up and double tapped the Grey Hunters along with the Barge causing about 50% casualties. They held. Rez Orb lord left his Chariot wreck. Thinned the numbers of the Wolf Guard with another Barge. I think Wraiths and Destroyer Lord charged the DC after shooting them ineffectually with everything else he had. Those barges are REALLY annoying. It seemed like every miss he re-rolled came up as a 6 next time!

My VGV came down and scattered a full 6 inches in the only direction they could go off the board, which meant they were placed deep in the corner of my deployment zone after rolling a 6. They were due to melta bomb a barge out of existence. Grey Hunters came down and plasmad the Rez Orb lord to death. Death Company power axes killed the Destroyer Lord thanks to Prescience and some poor rolls from him.

From there it was just attrition and as my list puts itself out there to cause early damage, when I roll poorly it falls apart. Failure to break the enemy's back leaves my jaw hanging out in the wind. The game was tight up til turn 5. We were at 8 KP each, but he went on to win 14-8 by turn 7.

His flyers were largely redundant as he got about 2 turns of shooting max on my units. I never got the opportunity to Jaws his Wraiths and I ended up using 2 units to try (and fail) to remove a Barge which thinned my resources out too much.

2nd loss was against themed Slaanesh CSM with Slaanesh daemon allies. I drastically under-estimated the shooting prowess of Slaanesh Noise Marines.

He had a Lord in Terminator Armour with pair of claws & melta bomb. He had 5 Terminators with MoS and Icon of Excess. 3 x 6 Noise Marines with Blast master and sonic weapons. 6 CSM with BP, Bolter and CCW in a rhino. Each unit had a champion with power sword. Keeper of Secrets and 10 Daemonettes. It was 3 objectives and short edge deployment. Lord rolled Hatred trait. I rolled Outflank (heh). Prescience and Life Leech on the Rune Priest. Prescience & Smite on the BA Libby.

Castled up 2 Noise Marine units in a 3 story ruin on the far corner of his deployment zone. Put the Termies and Lord next to the objective in his zone with the 3rd 6 man squad. Rhino was in the back. I put my 5 man GH squad on the objective in my deployment zone. There was a 3rd objective mid table on the roof of a 1 floor sealed bunker.

He brought in his KoS near my home objective and advanced on the 5 man GH squad on deck chair duty there.

I dropped down the Wolfguard next to the terminators to try and cause enough damage so I could shift them off the objective. Caused 1 wound.... 5++ and FnP is pretty good! Death Company dropped in front of the 6 man squad in front the terminators holding the objective. Smite and Bolters from the DC did.... not much. Annoyingly. Melta GH slagged the Rhino removing any hope he had of getting across the board to my objective with anything other than DSing Daemons. Pinned the unit.

And then I found out about Noise Marine shooting. Ap3 Template took out 3 Death Company. Sonic Weaponry killed another 2. The Grey Hunters by the Rhino took salvo and blast fire from 12 Noise Marines. Wasn't fun. 5 died. His KoS ate my 5 man GH unit. Daemonettes came in and landed on the roof of the bunker to claim mid objective.

My next turn and the VGV came in as well as the Plasma GHs with Rune Priest. Both dropped down next to the KoS so I could guarantee my home objective was held. The KoS failed 5 saves from shooting. Bye bye. VGV sit there scratching their heads. They run towards mid table and the Daemonettes. The Death Company are 5 inches away from the Noise Marines in cover holding his objective... they roll a 3,3,1 for their charge range. I roll my eyes. The Grey Hunters in his deployment zone take shots at the Noise Marines in cover as do the 2 Drop Pods on the table in range. I feel I gave this unit up too easily. Admittedly taking out the Rhino was important to remove his mobility, but not worth a 200pt unit.

He then finished off the Wolf Guard in combat with the Terminators, finished off the Death Company with the Noise Marines. Reduced the Grey Hunters in his deployment zone to just one model. And sat there with his Daemonettes.

I wasn't able to shift the Daemonettes as they went to ground every turn. And I didn't have enough bodies to risk throwing into combat with them. Come turn 5 I had Line Breaker, First Blood and 1 objective. He had 2 objectives. So as I went 2nd I jumped the VGV into the ruin to deny the objective and risked the game ending to snatch victory. The game didn't end and he blew the 3 remaining Veterans away with his units without even needing to assault them. I had no chance from then. He won by 1 VP.

Over the weekend I learned I need to work on my model placement to ensure maximum use out of the WGPL Termies. A 2+ model will roll a 1 sometimes so it is better to roll a few 3+ saves first. And how best to initiate 'pawn exchanges' when dropping my units in to hamstring his force. I was really happy with how I managed to pin enemy forces down in their deployment zone and force my opponents to make tough decisions. I could have quite easily gone 4-0-1 that weekend. But with Alpha Strike forces, if the dice go badly against you then you really suffer in a game of attrition.

The other bonus.. and this is a bit 'gamesy'... is that if I have a force that can do a lot of damage in turns 1 and 2 most tournament games go to turn 5 and maybe 6 so it is an advantage. I need to press that advantage as much as I can.

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

I was really happy with how I managed to pin enemy forces down in their deployment zone and force my opponents to make tough decisions. I could have quite easily gone 4-0-1 that weekend. But with Alpha Strike forces, if the dice go badly against you then you really suffer in a game of attrition.

Awesome write-up, thanks so much man.

Some hard breaks in there. Really too bad about the Necrons game! Your list was his Nemesis-list in so many ways.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Some bad breaks, some bad choices. But that's why I went to the tournament, to try and learn how to make better decisions.

The one thing that I liked the most was how positively everyone reacted to the list. People looked at it... saw it offered some nasty combinations... but looked forward to playing against it because it was something different and not obviously cheesy. And of course it is entirely of my own construction rather than a net build.

I think that sold it for me.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Anyone know if you can have more than 1 Wolf Guard pack in a SW army? I am looking in the codex and can't see anything that says I cant....

Looking to buff up to 1750 with the following:

Space Wolves Primary Detachment:

HQ:

Rune Priest
drops Runic Armour
Living Lightning
Jaws of the World Wolf

Elites:

9 Wolf Guard
Terminator Armour w Power Axe & Combi Plasma x 2
Terminator Armour w Power Fist & Combi-Melta
Terminator Armour w Power Fist & Heavy Flamer
Power Armour and Combi-Melta x 2
Power Armour and Combi-Plasma x 3
Drop Pod

Troops:

8 Grey Hunters
Plasmagun
Banner
Drop Pod

7 Grey Hunters
Plasmagun
Banner
Drop Pod

8 Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Banner
Drop Pod

5 Grey Hunters

BLOOD ANGELS ALLIED DETACHMENT:

HQ:

Librarian 100
Force Axe
Fear Of The Darkness
Blood Lance
Troops:

7 Death Company
Power Fist
2 Power Axes
Drop Pod

10 Assault Marines
2 Meltaguns
Lighting Claw

Fast Attack:

5 Vanguard Veterans
Jump Packs
2 x Veterans with Meltabombs
Sergeant w Power Sword
Veteran with Power Sword

In fact I am very much considering dropping the Runic Armour for the 2 WG Power Fists in the 1500 list too

Edited by SamaNagol, 13 November 2012 - 03:51 PM.

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

Anyone know if you can have more than 1 Wolf Guard pack in a SW army? I am looking in the codex and can't see anything that says I cant....

You can have 3 Units of WG. You can have 6 if you take Logan, because he makes them Troops.

I've never seen a non-"LoganWing" WG army though... Usually if someone take Logan for Troop-WG then they go the Terminator route. Why not PA route? A WG is only 3pts more than a GH, and gets +1 Ld and +1 Attack. Ubergrit? Try ultraubersupergrit...? (lol 4 Attacks each even if being charged). Idk, maybe lack of a Wolf Banner is a turnoff? lol

Edit: Oh I see. They don't have Bolter-BP-CCW. They only have BP-CCW.

Edited by CitadelArmyGuy, 13 November 2012 - 03:44 PM.