Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500pts Flesh Tearers (SW & BA) Drop Pods & Vanguard

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
I think the best Loganwing build is one that mixes and matches bodies. 3 TDA to 4 PA in a pod gives you bullet catchers for cheap that can still do a good job if called on.

Edited and added my 1750 iteration above for perusal.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Ok, I can't decide how to buff this to 1750....

10 man Assault Squad with Meltaguns..... 90% chance of them turning up on turn 2.

8 Man Sternguard with combi weapons in pod.

2nd 8 man Wolf Guard squad with combi weapons and 2 TDA models in pod.

Another pod would push the total up to 6 which means I'd still only get 3 turn 1 and be waiting on 3 for the rest of the game. But it would mean I can put my 3 Grey Hunters squads in Reserve and bring them in to take objectives later on in the game. Making them more survivable.

Sternguard bring the special issue ammo making the list a bit more versatile against MCs after 1st turn alpha strike. Wolf Guard are more hitty up close though.

And Assault Marines don't really add much threat to the list, but it is another fast moving scoring unit that can take or contest objectives across the board.

I was set on the Assault Marines but now I am thinking Sternguard.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Going into the store to play a pick up 1500pt game tomorrow. Trying to keep active

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,763 posts

Going into the store to play a pick up 1500pt game tomorrow. Trying to keep active

Keep us posted!
Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

I was set on the Assault Marines but now I am thinking Sternguard.

I was originally going to agree. But then I flip-flopped the other way, and flipped again. See you've got the Vanguards with JPs, but they don't score and they have low survivabililty. The ASM will allow a certain amount of flexibility, to go 'rescue' other squads in melee or claim/contest objectives. The sternguard are really attractive but their Ignores Cover ammo is really the only thing they provide that other elements of your list don't have. All your Plasma elsewhere in your list somewhat removes the need for either 2+ Poison or AP3 Gets Hot.

Now if you do jump for another Pod, how do you feel about Corbulo? If you haven't used him yet in 6th Edition, I highly suggest you playtest him to see what you think. Everytime I've played him, he has performed amazingly.

Active Duty United States Army, Alumni of The Citadel Military College. 6th Edition: 54 Win - 6 Tie - 5 Loss // 7th Edition: 10 Win - 0 Tie - 0 Loss

Nine Principles of Warfare: Objective, Offensive, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command, Security, Surprise, Simplicity. In tabletop wargaming, 8 of 9 apply.

Military terminology: A tarpit is a Fix. A bubblewrap is a Screen. Deathstars are Shock Units. Baiting units is an Ambush. Buffing is Force Multiplication. A pre-emptive decision is a Spoiling Action. Utilizing maneuver to influence your opponent's maneuver is Diversion. Special tricks that execute in 1-2 turns are Tactics, contrasted against your over-arching approach to winning a match is Strategy.

I play Semi-Competitive because after being a true believer and disciple of Competitiveness for years, I personally feel that 6th Edition made a mockery of game balance... but I've never had more fun than I do now! I still play nails-hard and I play to Win, but nevermore at the expense of fun for my opponent. Play what you like, or you won't like to play

Brom MKIV

Brom MKIV

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,443 posts
Another vote for scoring jumps as the best fit. Corbulo is amazing now but in the context of your list I dont see a good place for his inclusion without building around him like I feel is somewhat necessary. Sternguard seem an obvious choice with Corbulo but honestly the pseudo stern wolf guard do it for cheaper and with TDA.

Another couple options i think would do well with your current list:

-corbulo + tactical termies to hold midfield with corbulo tanking anything < ID.

-3 mmabs + bike for the libby. This unit is plain nasty. Its fast and resilient and erases things very well with 3 mms + blood lance not to mention casting sanguine sword when charged is a nasty surprise. Anyway just some thoughts.

..All Space Marine legions and chapters, loyal and traitor, cast a shadow that resembles the Dark Angels.
-FerociousBeast

The only reason that Bjorn is in a dreadnought is that he fought Chuck Norris and won but the backlash of that much awesome mortally wounded him.....
-Emptyedens

"My IG infantry would kill for bolters... but they have lasguns, so they can't" -stripeydave

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
I got absolutely mauled by a themed Khore CSM list... KP mission.

Khârn and 8 Zerkers in a Raider. Lord on Jugger with Blind Axe and 4++. 2x4 Spawn. 2x15 Cultists. 2 Maulerfiends.

I won the roll and went 2nd. He castled up and bubble wrapped his Raider in a Cultist wall. Left Maulerfiends on the sides. Spawn toward the middle.

I dropped down Melta GHs and rolled 2 misses with the Meltaguns on the first Maulerfiend. Dropped Wolf Guard and dropped the Spawn to 1 left with 1 wound and the Lord lost a wound. DC came down and looked mean. No first blood.

He charged DC with Maulerfiend...:D they have no meltabombs or fist. Lord and Khârn with Zerkers charge Wolf Guard. They die. Oh do they die! Apart from the terminator who is still alive. No first blood for him either!

I had a pod scatter off the board and my VGV managed to score 2 pens on the Raider with meltabombs but roll 2 1s for damage.

Basically he just rolled through my army.

I should have dropped 18" in front of his lines and forced him to advance towards me exposing his rear to drop pod assault in turn 2 and 3.

I learned my lesson in that game.

Also strongly considering dropping Runic Armour to upgrade an Axe to a Fist in the DC and an Axe to a Fist on the WHPL in the Melta GH unit

Edited by SamaNagol, 20 November 2012 - 06:06 PM.

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

Khârn and 8 Zerkers in a Raider. Lord on Jugger with Blind Axe and 4++ .... 2 Maulerfiends...

These two guys, and bros like them, are why I need Mephiston in my Blood Angel tournament lists. Well, at least the ones that feature melee.

Sorry to hear about the loss Sama. If it makes you feel any better, Land Raider's aren't reliably killed unless there's about 4 meltaguns. At least that's what mathammer says:

4 MG deal 2.667 hits. Then need 7 on 2D6 to penetrate, so that means 1.556 penetrates. Then another 4+ gives 0.78 explodes results.

Of course, sometimes just one get lucky and that's all you need. The problem is anytime dice-rolls depend 4+ (or 7 on 2D6, rough equivalent) means that observed results can simply swing wildly in one direction or the other (sitting on the 'middle' of the odds like that). Melta sits on top of two of those filters (the Pen roll and Result roll).

So many people have this notion that meltaguns will autokill AV14, which is just not true. Of course, melta is still by far anyone's best chance against AV14 regardless.

Edited by CitadelArmyGuy, 21 November 2012 - 12:38 AM.

Active Duty United States Army, Alumni of The Citadel Military College. 6th Edition: 54 Win - 6 Tie - 5 Loss // 7th Edition: 10 Win - 0 Tie - 0 Loss

Nine Principles of Warfare: Objective, Offensive, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command, Security, Surprise, Simplicity. In tabletop wargaming, 8 of 9 apply.

Military terminology: A tarpit is a Fix. A bubblewrap is a Screen. Deathstars are Shock Units. Baiting units is an Ambush. Buffing is Force Multiplication. A pre-emptive decision is a Spoiling Action. Utilizing maneuver to influence your opponent's maneuver is Diversion. Special tricks that execute in 1-2 turns are Tactics, contrasted against your over-arching approach to winning a match is Strategy.

I play Semi-Competitive because after being a true believer and disciple of Competitiveness for years, I personally feel that 6th Edition made a mockery of game balance... but I've never had more fun than I do now! I still play nails-hard and I play to Win, but nevermore at the expense of fun for my opponent. Play what you like, or you won't like to play

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,763 posts
bugger to hear ><; unlucky with the melta - corbs coulda come in handy there!
Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Lots more toys I'd like to include, but at 1500 you really have to strip everything down.

I would definitely take Corbs every time if he would satisfy my 1 HQ requirement for Allies.