Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2000pt BA-SW Tournament List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

TheHarrower

TheHarrower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,084 posts

I'm not say that he shouldn't run BA as his primary in this case, just that there's no need to spend that much on scoring (objective capping) units from the BA dex.

That's 90-535 points we could spend in a lot more interesting ways.

I'm not going to disagree with you that my list could be more optimized, but then again, I'm not going to shift the focus of the Space Wolves to be my primary troops units either. I'm not a WAAC player and I've stuck with the Blood Angels even during the whole debacle of the PDF Codex. The shortcomings I'll make up for with tactics and outplaying my opponent. Games I'll lose will be on me for being a bad tactician not because I have a "lesser" build or Codex. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: So I went back and I did entertain your idea, but I don't see very many interesting ways to spend those points. Sure, I could drop an ASM squad for another GH squad in a pod, but then my comms relay squatters aren't going to be as effective because there is nothing in the Blood Angels Codex at 75 points that is as good. I already mentioned earlier how Scouts suck and will fold like paper in assault.

I want force multiplication with FNP and FC from the Sang Priest on Meph and the ASM so I don't understand why you think he is a waste of points. Honestly, even with better and more cost effective troops in the Space Wolves Codex, I feel this is the optimal build. Then again, maybe I'm missing something? If you can think of a better way to do this by all means share your thoughts.

EDIT EDIT: K&F I hope I didn't come off as snarky. That wasn't my intent...

Edited by TheHarrower, 24 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

–The Harrower
Artist, Game Designer, and Wargame Veteran

dedardlogo.pnggallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

Visit DED'ARD a hobby blog focusing on all things Blood Angels and 40K!

Sokhar

Sokhar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 364 posts
Pretty much the same core I've been gaming with lately (Mephiston, Rune Priest, 2 Assault Squads, 2 Grey Hunter squads, Storm Raven), so good to see that I'm on the same page with others. I'm curious about how the podded Dreadnought has been performing for you guys. Objectively speaking it could be decent, but its the sort of unit and situation that would have me cringing in 5th. Its the only unit with an AV value besides the Storm Ravens, and those are flyers, so its possible the opponent ignores them. One lone vehicle seems like its going to die fairly regularly. I've been trying Death Company in a pod, though they have yet to really set the world on fire for me. Admittedly I probably haven't been using them terribly well, as I never tried them in 5th.

I was set to advocate trying a small Vanguard Vets squad as support for the podding Grey Hunters on turn 2, but for no discernible reason Space Wolves pods lack an option for Locator Beacons. The one thing BA get that Wolves don't? ;)

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

I want force multiplication with FNP and FC from the Sang Priest on Meph and the ASM so I don't understand why you think he is a waste of points. Honestly, even with better and more cost effective troops in the Space Wolves Codex, I feel this is the optimal build. Then again, maybe I'm missing something? If you can think of a better way to do this by all means share your thoughts.

EDIT EDIT: K&F I hope I didn't come off as snarky. That wasn't my intent...

No worries, I should have a made a proper post with some actual suggestion. I was in a hurry though so I kinda rushed it.

OK, let's just say I'm not fan of sang priests. I think they were too expensive in 5th and I definitely think so now. If you want the FC / FnP bubble I'd take an honor guard instead. Even with quad melta and jump packs they still cost less than the assault squad alone. With the points you save you could get IPs on the DC, a TDA wolf guard with cyclone (give the small GH unit some bite) or something else fun like a rhino or razorback that Mephiston can ride or hide behind as he moves up the board.

Personally I wouldn't mind dropping the second assault squad either and take even more aggressive units. But I understand that most people aren't comfortable taking as few capping units as I am :tu:
24 years of Blood Angels

TheHarrower

TheHarrower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,084 posts

I'm curious about how the podded Dreadnought has been performing for you guys.

Depends on what you kit it out with. With a pod, I find Furioso w/ Heavy Flamer and Frag Cannon to be the best bang for the buck. If you are hitting an infantry squad (and who doesn't run infantry nowadays?) it can do a lot of damage on the drop. Usually that's all I get though and it ends up dying first turn as it typically isn't ignored and draws a lot of fire. It makes for a great distraction though!

I've been trying Death Company in a pod, though they have yet to really set the world on fire for me. Admittedly I probably haven't been using them terribly well, as I never tried them in 5th.

I used to use Death Company in 5th all the time and I would rip people up with them. Psychologically, I've never seen a unit influence my opponents more. Haven't tried them in a pod yet, but I would think they should work really well. Drop them in the heart of your opponents army where you can unleash the bolters at rapid fire range. I doubt you'd lose 10 Death Company in 1 Turn of shooting, so the following turn you can rip stuff up with the bolters again and Assault since they are relentless. Not sure how effective it'll be, but I can't imagine it being less effective then they were in 5th. Now I get 2 attacks on the Assault, can move where I want, and I can unload bolter fire if I'm assaulted. Sounds like a win to me. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? I'll post some results when I play.

As an aside, I bought a Space Wolves Pack the other day. If you have some tactical bitz laying around, 1 Space Wolves Pack is enough to make 15 Grey Hunters and a Rune Priest. So really, if you are worried about going to wolves for cost, don't be. $37.25 and you're in like Flynn (the wolves will be "borrowing" one of the Blood Angels Drop Pods).

Edited by TheHarrower, 01 December 2012 - 01:38 PM.

–The Harrower

TheHarrower

TheHarrower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,084 posts

OK, let's just say I'm not fan of sang priests. I think they were too expensive in 5th and I definitely think so now. If you want the FC / FnP bubble I'd take an honor guard instead. Even with quad melta and jump packs they still cost less than the assault squad alone. With the points you save you could get IPs on the DC, a TDA wolf guard with cyclone (give the small GH unit some bite) or something else fun like a rhino or razorback that Mephiston can ride or hide behind as he moves up the board.

I think Priests are a bit expensive myself. Never thought to take the Honor Guard to get FNP and FC, plus you have 4 other bodies in there as well. Interesting... The unit certainly has more bite than a lone Priest. Also, there is some potential for additional force multiplication if you take the Chapter Banner. Definitely something to consider. Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't mind dropping the second assault squad either and take even more aggressive units. But I understand that most people aren't comfortable taking as few capping units as I am :huh:

That's what I worry about if I'd drop out 1 Assault Squad. Honestly, in 2000 points I feel I need at least 4 scoring units. Once I get to play some people (which should be soon) I'll get a better feel for how this works. I appreciate the feedback.

–The Harrower

TheHarrower

TheHarrower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,084 posts
The tournament was today, but I actually skipped it because my models weren't entirely ready. I'd play with primed models, but not gray plastic. More importantly, I wasn't ready having only played one game before attending. So I played against a friend of mine who uses Grey Knights. He's a fairly new player, but has picked up the game very well in the past couple months. His list was as follows:

HQ
Inquisitor w/ Terminator Armor, Psyker (Prescience), Psycannon
Inquisitor w/ Terminator Armor, Psyker (Prescience), Psycannon
Warband w/ 4 Jokero, 6 Warrior Acolytes w/ Bolters

TROOPS
10 Strike Squad w/ 2 Psycannons, Hammer, Psybolt
10 Strike Squad w/ 2 Psycannons, Psybolt
10 Strike Squad w/ 2 Psycannons, Psybolt

FAST
10 Interceptors w/ 2 Psycannons, Hammer, Psybolt

HEAVY
Dreadknight w/ Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator
Dreadknight w/ Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator

FORTIFICATION
Aegis w/ Quad-gun

We ended up with Crusade (5 objectives), Dawn of War. There was no night fighting in the beginning of the game and I rolled the Warlord trait that adds 1 to charge range. I can't remember what my opponent's was, but it was nothing of consequence. My opponent won the roll off and made me deploy first. I deployed my 5 Grey Hunters behind terrain on the left hand side out of sight and sitting on an objective and the Comms Relay. I deployed 1 Assault Squad in the middle with the Rune Priest and the other on the right flank with the Sanguinary Priest. Mephiston was in the middle of both squads and everyone was in the range of the Sanguinary Priest for the FNP/FC bubble. Aegis was placed on the right flank about 18" in so I could jump to it. There was an objective in the middle, 3 on his left flank, and 1 in the middle in his deployment zone.

His deployment is Aegis in the middle next to a forest. All 3 of his Strike Squads are in the middle to the right of the Aegis. Warband is behind the Aegis on the Quad-gun and the Interceptors are on his right flank. Should have taken a picture, but I was ill prepared. Deployment was as follows:

[Dread Knight] [Dread Knight]
[Interceptors] [Strike Squad, Inq] [Strike Squad] [Strike Squad, Inq] [Warband]
[Aegis, Quad-gun]

[Aegis]
[Grey Hunters] [Assault Squad] [Assault Squad]
[Comms Relay] [Rune Priest] [Sang Priest] [Mephiston]

I will attempt to keep this brief, as I pretty much lost this when deploying the objectives. Instead of keeping my objectives back, I placed 1 in his deployment zone so I would have to jump to it. I thought a refused flank would let me concentrate my army at one point and smash through his lines, but I played too aggressive and underestimated his fire power. Rune Priest rolls Prescience and Assail. Meph keeps book powers. My Assault Squad in the middle falls to the Red Thirst, and my opponent fails to seize. First turn to me.

TURN 1
Drop Pod with Grey Hunters lands behind the Warband within rapid fire range of the Dread Knight and the Warband. Both Assault Squads jump forward, the middle Assault Squad with the Rune Priest jumps into the ruins in the center of the board. The Assault Squad on the right, jumps behind the Aegis with Mephiston. Sang Priest is still in range of both squads for the bubble.

Didn't think I would take out the entire Warband or make them flee, so I rapid fire and throw a krak grenade at the Dread Knight. Plasma only does 1 wound and my opponent makes his invuln. I also cause 2 wounds from bolter fire and 1 from the grenade. My opponent rolls and fails 3 2+ saves! Wow! Dreadknight is down to 1 wound. Rune Priest casts Assail on the Warband and the Quad-gun. No wounds. Other Assault Squad and Mephiston run for position. Grey Hunters on the Comms Relay move deeper into terrain and further out of sight.

My opponent tries to activate Prescience with both Inquisitors, but I block both with my Runic Weapon. Both Dread Knights drop incinerators on the Grey Hunters and I lose about 5 of them in the process. They hold and I still have both Plasma Guns and my banner.

Warband and 1 of his Strike Squads shoot at my Assault Squad in the ruins. Due to extremely poor rolling and poor placement, I lose the Rune Priest and 4 Assault Marines to Lascannon fire and Rending bolters (damn monkeys!). First Blood to my opponent. :D Other 2 Strike Squads shoot at my other Assault Squad. I lose 5 marines from this squad and didn't make a single Feel No Pain roll this turn! Interceptors move up and find LOS to 1 of the Grey Hunters on the Comms Relay. I make my saves.

Dread Knight with 1 wound left assaults the remaining Grey Hunters. I use my banner and kill him with snap fire.

TURN 2
At this point, I'm in very sorry shape and things look bleak. 3 of my troops units are down to about 50% and all he lost was a Dread Knight. Because I placed the objectives on his side of the table, I pretty much have no way to win because I have to come to him and I have no way to blunt all that firepower. I can't out range him and I'm too weak to win in assault. The game is pretty much over, but we play it out. Death Company scatter wide and land near the Warband and did some damage, but not enough to take them out. Both Assault Squads press forward with Mephiston. It's all or nothing at this point. Storm Ravens came in and did little damage. 1 had to jink, from the Quad-gun which had 4 hits, but of course failed to glance or pen on any of them. Return snap fire does little. Grey Hunters ended up killing the monkeys in Assault. 5 marines in the middle charged the Strike Squad and were wiped. Mephiston failed his charge roll leaving him stranded and out in the open… Grrr.

On my opponents turn Interceptors shunt and shoot up the Grey Hunters on the Comms relay. I have 1 Grey Hunter left. Mephiston takes a ton of fire and loses 3 wounds. Grey Hunters that took out the Warband are torched by the Dread Knight. At least they all die by shooting and are spared being slaughtered in Assault.

TURN 3+
Pretty much just clean up for my opponent at this point. Mephiston takes out a Strike Squad and 1 of the Inquisitors with my remaining Assault Squad before they all die to focused fire. Death Company is severely out of position and ends up hopping back into a Raven and reposition. They eventually they get killed by the Dread Knight in assault. By the end of the game, I have just the Drop Pods left. I don't remember what the final count was, but it was really one sided. I gave up Line Breaker, First Blood, and Slay the Warlord plus however many objectives he had. The Sons of Sanguinius were soundly defeated.

HINDSIGHT
This is a pretty tough game for me no matter how you spin it, but it didn't help that I served it up for him on a silver platter. There is so much fire power in his list that by the time I get in close, I take so many casualties that I couldn't win in assault. I won't even start my rant with how much worse Blood Angels are now against Grey Knights in Assault because of the nerf to Furious Charge.

Feel No Pain was pretty much worthless for me in this game as well. I hardly made any rolls, and by the time I did, it didn't matter anymore. I'm used to playing against Grey Knights with a couple Vindicators and Baal Predators. I usually just sit back and out range them before I charge in. Not having long range in this list hurt, but I could have won if I played defensively and put another objective in my deployment zone. I should have hung back Turn 1 and dropped the Death Company instead of the Grey Hunters. I normally don't put Mephiston in a Storm Raven, but it probably would have been a good choice in this game because it would have forced me to stay play more careful and it would have got him in close unmolested.

I did get another game in today against Imperial Guard. Nothing like a good @$$ kicking to make you play better. More on that game soon.

Edited by TheHarrower, 16 December 2012 - 02:50 PM.

–The Harrower

Calnus

Calnus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 354 posts
Well, I wasn't going to come back and post the first game I had with this list concept, but reading Harrower's experience, I feel a little better sharing my defeat. Particularly since my game was practically over in turn 3 as well.

Here's what I took:

Mephiston
ASM
ASM
Priest
Frag Dread in Pod
Rune Priest
GH in Pod, 2 plasma
GH in Pod, 2 plasma
Stormraven x2, HB sponsons and TLAC, TLMM loadouts

it was 1935 or so, but I really couldn't decide on anything else to spend the points on, and since I was proxying the SW models with primed tacticals, no real way to keep track. At 2000pts, I'm a bit disadvantaged, but it wasn't going to matter anyway.

My good friend took IG with the following:
Lord Commissar (no gear)
Marbo
Ratlings x5
Ratlings x5
Veterans, plasma x3, Chimera
Veterans, Plasma x3, Chimera
Platoon
-PCS, 4x flamer
-Infantry
-Infantry
-Infantry
-HWT, 2 missile, 1 Lascannon
-HWT, 2 missile, 1 lascannon
-HWT, 2 missile, 1 Lascannon
Vendetta
Vendetta
Vendetta
2x Basilisk
Leman Russ Battle Tank
LRBT

So, his list has almost a one of everything feel, I wrote it up so the organization is apparent. He kept the Lord Commisar with the blob (no power weapons or upgrades of any kind, just 30 wounds to chew through with LD10 Stubborn). His list was exactly 2000pts.

So I'm still trying to figure out exactly what went wrong. I'm trying to get in a rematch and see if I can play better this time, because I don't think its a list issue. Here's why:

Mission: Crusade, 4 objectives. Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

IG won the roll-off for deployment and took first turn. He puts the basilisks out of line of sight behind a hill approx. 3" tall in his back corner. He deployed HWT on top fo the hill, and one froming an arc next to the hill almost touching his back edge. The third goes into area terrain in the middle of his deployment zone. Blob goes on his left flank poopiste the Basilisks, with LRBT in between. PCS is in a crater next to the blob. Both Chimeras are in reserve.

His deployment then ends up looking like this:
[Basilisk][Basilisk]
[HWT][HWT][HWT][HWT][HWT][HWT][LRBT][HWT][HWT][HWT][LRBT][PCS][Blob]

Forgive my artistic license, but you can see how he basically created a front with AV14 and guard in terrain in front of the artillery. The blob was the only thing out of cover.

I deployed one squad with rune priest on my left (opposite the basilisks) in area terrain, while Mephiston and the squad with attached priest were between two hills (same as the one his basilisks were behind) on my right flank, opposite his blob. The priest has range to both units, but can't really get a cover save. He'll rely on 2+ LoS! to stay alive.

Ratlings infiltrate into the center and my right, next to the blob in terrain. Objectives are all unclaimed, 1 central in his deployment zone, 1 in my right rear deployment, and 1 each on the right and left centerline in terrain.

No Night Fighting Turn 1: Basilisks start the party, scattering once and hitting once, destroying 4 marines on the left side of my right ASM (the priest's group). Priest survives. LRBT scatters into the opening left by basilisks, HWT knock a wound off the ASM in area terrain, other LRBT knocks another wound off ASM in terrain thanks to scatter and a cover save. Blob moves up around a terrain piece, they can get to the objective next turn. PCS shifts a little to get in range of deployment zone objective while staying in terrain. ASM are hurting (down 25% overall) but still viable.
BA turn, Frag dread and GH pod #1 come in. GH choose to come in between HWT and LRBT on the left, they don't scatter and will be in range to charge the basilisks through terrain next turn, or the HWT. Double plasma into the backside of the nearby LRBT wrecks it with Hull Points. Frag Dread picks on the PCS for First Blood, wiping them out with triple templates. Right ASM and Mephy move up, Rune Priest and left ASM move towards central terrain to assault Ratlings, which unfortunately wipes them all out even with stringing out the unit. Unit consolidates into terrain.

Turn 2: All IG reserves come in. He had gotten the Warlord Trait for re-rolling reserves, but only used it once to bring in a Vendetta. 3 Vendettas move to center of board, 2 pointing to my right, 1 pointing to my left. Basilisks open up on the Rune priest's ASM group, killing 3-4, asssited by Vendetta shooting to bring that group's remaining members to 4. LRBT knocks another couple wounds off the right group, blob shoots to no effect. 2 Vendettas wipe Mephy in a single round of shooting, I made 0 FnP saves from the lascannons, so he pulled Warlord then and there. HWT knock 2 HP off the dreadnought, stunning it in the process. Marbo comes in and Demo Charge-s the GH group (who were clustered next to a board edge), killing 7, including both plasma gunners. Chimeras rolled on to the backfield, behind where the LRBTs started, they will be in plasma range of my army next turn.
BA turn, 1 Stormraven and the other pod come in. I pod the GH into terrain on the right-center objective, and double-tap the blob. This is my only full strength squad, I've got less than 5 marines in each other unit. The priest's squad (priest still alive somehow!) hides behind the objective holding GH, while the RP's squad (or whats left of it) hide in terrain within jump distance of the center left objective. GH from the first pod (all 3 of them) charge the HWT in cover and lose 2 to snap fire Krak and lascannon shots. Stormraven rolls snake eyes for melta damage, and glances a single Vendetta once, despite using PoTMS and 2 missiles.

Turn 3: Basilisks hit twice and wipe out the entire GH pack on the objective. Being clustered from coming out of the pod really sucked, taking 14 wounds from 2 hits on the scatter dice. 2 Vendettas turn off the board, Chimeras move up toward each center objective, blob shifts around to the deployment zone objective, and the last HP off the dread is evaporated by drive-by plasma fire. For consolation prize, he did lose 2 plasma gunners from the drive-by shooters. LRBT shoots the Rune Priest's group, wiping them out with poor cover saves. Marbo charges the lone GH in combat with the HWT, and kills him before he gets to swing. HWT knock random HP off pods, taking 2 stormbolters. Remaining vendetta on the board has range to dogfight the SR, and gets 1 lucky lascannon through cover saves to explode the aircraft. At this point I offer to concede, but we play it out.
BA turn, second Stormraven comes in, attempts to kill Vendetta. Fails miserably, with the TLMM missing entirely. I attempt to charge the blob at 10" with my remaining 3 marines (including priest!), but fail the 2D6. Forget to fire the one live stormbolter.

Turn 4: Vendettas come back in and Chimeras reach both center objectives. Vendettas finish off Stormraven with 2 sets of TL lascannons, wrecking it with HP. Plasmagunners and blob open up on marines in the open, and although I finally get and make a few saves, my marines all evaporate by the end of the infantry shooting. Basilisks perform danger close shooting on the nearby pod, and manage to take off 1 hull point and not kill themselves. HWT takes off remaining HP from the close pods, and LRBT takes off the last HP from the last pod, tabling me.

Major tactical mistakes: I did not pod in to kill the Basilisks and LRBTs soon enough. They accounted for almost half (or more) of my dead marines just from those 4 vehicles. 3 really, as one tank only got off one shot. I was worried about scattering off the board, so I podded in in front of the screen rather than the tiny area behind it, and so couldn't get to the basilisks. Also, could have put a lot more wounds on the blob with the Frag dread than I did to the PCS, but I don't think he should have been a first-turn pod in this game anyway. Ideally, I would have gotten in both GH pods, using plasma guns to wreck basilisks and maybe a LRBT. Still, I feel like that would have been extremely risky considering the screen castle setup he had his artillery in.

Other than that, I noticed a bit of a dice advantage on his part, but I know that was just bad luck on mine (I was using his dice for saves anyway most of the time). I feel like I need/want a first turn melta unit, or something with Dante, but I just can't protect my vulnerable marines from those Barrage blasts on turn 1.

Anyone got comments? I know its not the best report, but I've been thinking about the game for almost a week, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

TheHarrower

TheHarrower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,084 posts
Placing objectives is REALLY important. You got to place 2, so they should have been in your deployment zone. Once you get First Blood, you are up 3-2. At that point, you need to make him come to you. This is the biggest issue I have. Sitting back and playing more defensively especially against lists that outgun me. That is what cost me in my game and how I turned it around in my second game (more on that soon).

You have to be aware of what is coming in from reserves. If he has 3 Vendettas in reserve and he is re-rolling reserves, pretty much count on all of them arriving on Turn 2. Not sure what the set up was with Mephiston, but you always want to be in a position where you are at least getting a cover save and Feel No Pain. Surround him with an Assault squad if there is no terrain for the 5+ cover, 5+ FNP.

Not having Night Fighting first turn definitely hurt as did not Drop Podding in to take out his artillery. Those tanks NEED to die. I don't disagree with the Furioso with the Frag Cannon coming in first since it did get you First Blood. A lot of people discount First Blood, but getting it is SO important and really puts the pressure on your opponent.

You are playing Imperial Guard, so templates are a major concern. Not sure why your models were clustered coming out of the Pod. You move 6" on disembark, so make sure to spread them out. In this type of situation, putting Mephiston in a Storm Raven isn't a bad idea. As long as you are moving 36" onto the table and you are within striking distance of all those tanks, even if the Raven goes down, Mephiston will take it off like a sweater and beat some face. Hope this helps!

–The Harrower

Calnus

Calnus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 354 posts
Agree that having Mephiston in a flyer makes sense for that, but even with 5+/5+, he failed 4 saves and had a perils earlier. My dice failed me a couple key times.

Bunching up out of the drop pods was not ideal, but rather a limitation of space than disembark rules. I had to come down in tight areas where there was maybe 6-8" of space if I wanted a decent shot. Any further out than that and I was either landing in terrain or within 6" of the board edge. I have to say it was an excellent deployment setup for my friend in that regard, he used the large bases of the HWT to keep me away rather well, leaving only one Leman Russ exposed. While I could have (and maybe should have) taken the risk of dropping in close to the board edge, the mishap table still bothers me a good deal.

About objectives...While I agree that in most cases its good to setup in your deployment zone, I think its actually quite difficult to hold it with the kind of aggressiveness inherent in jump marines. I have 0 shooting with a range greater than 12" on the troops (24" on the pods), so to stay back I'm deliberately letting myself get picked apart at range. Yes, going to ground on objectives would keep me in the game for a while, but shooting armies will eventually remove you if you don't reduce the output somehow.

Had a second game last night, same players, same list, but this time the board had more terrain (larger pieces, symmetric on the diagonal like a tournament we both went to this fall) and the game was KP instead of objectives. Major difference was I rolled Night Attacker for Warlord, and so did he! So I decided it was night, he went first, and I took 0 losses the entire first turn. Game went better for me with dice, no pods scattered, his barrages scattered completely off twice, and even though the artillery survived 3 turns, they did maybe 4 wounds the whole game. Marbo once again devastated a GH pack right out of a pod (space issues, can't disembark into enemies!), but was shot in the back of the head by Mephiston's plasma pistol next turn. I even had to look up his BS, which tells you how often that happens. In short, BA won 11-4 in KP, also getting First blood and both players getting linebreaker.

Consistent performance goes to Marbo and the GH packs. Both games, marbo was an excellent disruption, countering the clustering the GH had to do to reach enemies in tight confines. However, the GH are performing almost as expected, killing a tank/unit the turn they arrive and then dying heroically and absorbing most of the enemy fire the following turn. Which in this last game left 20 angry assault marines poised to wipe up on turns 2-3, but in the first left ~10-15 angry marines getting shot by large blasts turn 3.

I'd almost consider allying in Guard just to get Marbo at this point. Maybe I make him juicy targets each time, but being able to pop up without scattering and throw an S8, AP2 large blast is just tactical gold. Even better that he costs less than a minimum scout squad.

TheHarrower

TheHarrower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,084 posts

Any further out than that and I was either landing in terrain or within 6" of the board edge.

Inertial Guidance really helps you to get a Drop Pod to where you need it to go. Also, why are you worried about landing in terrain?

About objectives...While I agree that in most cases its good to setup in your deployment zone, I think its actually quite difficult to hold it with the kind of aggressiveness inherent in jump marines. I have 0 shooting with a range greater than 12" on the troops (24" on the pods), so to stay back I'm deliberately letting myself get picked apart at range. Yes, going to ground on objectives would keep me in the game for a while, but shooting armies will eventually remove you if you don't reduce the output somehow.

Everything is relative. Really depends on the terrain and a lot of other factors. Range is hugely important and a lot of people overlook it, but you should be able to use the Drop Pods to slow any advancers down. Also, if you have a decent amount of terrain on the table, you should have those objectives in positions where you are either out of sight or in good cover. I do agree though, sitting on objectives all game is just going to get you shot up. You have to know when to counter charge. The key to Blood Angels now is knowing when to strike. Again, I'm speaking more in general terms as I don't know what your table looked like.

Had a second game last night, same players, same list, but this time the board had more terrain (larger pieces, symmetric on the diagonal like a tournament we both went to this fall) and the game was KP instead of objectives. Major difference was I rolled Night Attacker for Warlord, and so did he! So I decided it was night, he went first, and I took 0 losses the entire first turn.

Congrats. Sounds like that game went much better. First game just seemed like one of those games where everything goes wrong.

I'd almost consider allying in Guard just to get Marbo at this point.

I wouldn't. I played against him quite a bit and I never see him do anything worthwhile. In most games I usually end up shooting him off the table with a Quad-gun after he comes on from reserves. :cuss

I'll try and get my game against the Imperial Guard up this weekend. Still waiting for my opponent to send me his list. Maybe his a little miffed because I crushed him? :D

Edited by TheHarrower, 21 December 2012 - 07:03 PM.

–The Harrower