Xenith

gallery_58096_7835_76859.png

I thought I'd share my Chaos army and various WIP things, hopefully to motivate myself to get some more painting done!

I have a decent sized Iron Warriors army, as well as a goodly number of Thousand Sons, which I'll get pictures of later.

My current projects are a start up Emperor's Children Warband, and a force of The Cleaved.

The Cleaved:

I made this Plague Marine years and years ago when I had a spare blob of Green Stuff. The armour was a test piece for the new foundations, its straight Dheneb with a heavy devlan wash. He got some nice armour scores, and some weeping joints

I abandoned them for a very long time, until the release of the new codex, whereupon I made a couple of plasma gunners to come later.

I also have 5 of these guys that will be geting the cleaved treatment.

My very first tank, well over 10 years old with an awful splotchy (but thin) nurgle paint job, back when the mark of Nurgle gave your vehicle +1AV all round. Rather than give it to the Iron Warriors, I've honoured it's heritage and dedicated it to the cleaved.

gallery_58096_7752_203778.jpg

The marine on the back was originally an ultramarine, but the blue wouldnt look good with the colour scheme. Green, however would, and seeing as there will probably be a few new DA players soon...and also to annoy Skink a little.

gallery_58096_7752_615909.jpg

The Nurglings on top need some detailing, as well as a few other bits and bobs, but I consider it table worthy after a weekend's work.

gallery_58096_7752_493962.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the new codex, I jumped at the chance to finally get some Slaaneshi marines under my belt. Noise marines with an 80's hair metal vibe.

I wanted a full Sonic blaster squad, buy only had one and the blastmaster, so time to make up some stuff:

Dude doing a squealy blaster solo, and regular blaster dude. You cant quite see the detail, ut they have hides/skin GS'd onto their leg armour, and regular dude has GW barbed wire wrapped around his thigh.

gallery_58096_7889_3631647.jpg

Blastmaster and DeathKorg. You cannot have a band without a synth, so this guy got made up. The idea is that the bolter fires, gets some funky rhythm attached to it as it goes along the barrel, then hits the opponent with some music that they've probably never heard of.
gallery_58096_7889_199950.jpg

Noise Champion: Since squad leaders cannot currently have blasters, and in the hope that they can someday, I made something in between a combi bolter and blaster, the backpack (from the classic NM) and belt amp can also double as a Doom Siren.
gallery_58096_7889_1784645.jpg

Smile:
gallery_58096_7889_2129924.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Looking good so far.

I really like the tone on the Cleaved marines armour and it sounds like it was pretty simple to do, which is always a bonus. :devil:

I'm very jealous that you've got hold of some classic Noise Marine parts, they look great when added to plastic Marines.

Also, nice idea with inverting the backpack vents. :yes:

I see you decided to go with a black undercoat for the pink. How are you finding it?

Looking forward to seeing those NM's painted.

Mike.

Cheers, Mikey!

Yea, the classic NM parts work really well, and I didnt want a couple of entirely metal classic models sitting around so they got broken up. I think the two bodies I have will be turning into champions at some point. Shame they're a little smaller than modern marines...

The pink is 2 coats of Ceramite white, then 2 coats of Emperor's Children to get a nice coverage, highlight of pink horror (the dry one) on the shoulder pad only for now.

I cant help but feel that the synth player's face should be pink and the arrow black. Time will tell.

• 6 months later...

And here's a few of my Iron Warriors, starting with heavy support: Enjoy!

Heavy bolter havocs1:

gallery_58096_12389_2114.jpg

Heavy bolter havocs2

gallery_58096_12389_20744.jpg

Heavy bolter havoc infected with the obliterator virus - he can only morph a heavy bolter, and it's taking it's toll on his sanity.

gallery_58096_12389_14607.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_21044.jpg

Lascannon havocs:

gallery_58096_12389_6860.jpg

Obliterators. I made most of these when there was only two heavy, expensive obliterator models available at Edited by Xenith

The guy with the heavy bolter sticking out of his chest is HILARIOUS haha. My only critic would be the skulls. Maybe yoy should give them a wash, they are far too white, even for polished (polished?) bone.

Cheers, guys!

Anaziel, good catch on the skulls, I hadn't even though about that, they could do with darkening down a little.

Kvlt - thanks! Glad you like it :) I think there's always something of the ridiculous in the cults, especially noise marines!

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't had much hobby time over the past few weeks, but I've managed to make my Mk8 trooper a brother.

gallery_58096_12389_835.jpg

I can't quite decide whether these guys should become Noise Marine equivalents, or Plague Marine equivalents: I had a thought that my Iron Warriors noise marine equivalents would be like a destroyer squad from the HH, in place of a blast master, my warriors will have a rad-cannon, wounding marines on 2+ with no save. To further this, I managed to get my hands to some Psylencers, which I think fit the bill nicely.

More to come.

Edited by Xenith

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Writing up my thesis has left little time for hobby recently, but in a quick study break:

gallery_58096_12389_3436.jpg

My love for chaos has been galvanised of late. I think that my hobby malaise was possibly to do with having modelled and played Eldar, then Blood Angels pretty exclusively since 2006, and possibly having too many armies.

I'm looking at coming back to chaos, corrupting all those marines that were lined up to complete my BA comapny, and re-inforce my Iron Warriors.

When I'm done with the thesis, I'll hopefully have a lot more time to get my hobby wheels turning!

Edited by Xenith

Thanks, Forte!

A new recruit to the termies:

gallery_58096_12389_11449.jpg

I managed to get hold of a load of grey knight term arms and shoulderpads, which means I have a bit more freedom with comversions and can really jazz up the black reach terminators...

Poor DV chosen had his axe taken from him by a terminator. Luckily I found him a replacement sword.

gallery_58096_12389_10022.jpg

Skulls shaved from other locations (belt buckle, bolter, crux on the knee etc), then re-applied to the shoulderpad.

gallery_58096_12389_13933.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_28948.jpg

The Combi plasma still needs work, but Im much happier with this pattern than the previous ones, much less work involved in the wrist mounted version than cutting away half a storm bolter...

Edited by Xenith

• 3 weeks later...

well look what i stumbled on. great work here Xenith, really like the conversion work you've done and nice added detail in the modelling side. love the HB-havoc-oblit conversion, he looks awesome. also great to see more Iron Warriors, there can never be enough of them. For Perturabo and Death to the False Emperor!

Thanks, Leinmann - Launceston boy, I see? I've just moved back up north from Falmouth where I'd been for the past few years.

Next up, a test model for an Iron Warriors Siege-Breaker - Counts as MoN Mutilator:

gallery_58096_12389_20398.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_13699.jpg

Black Reach teminator base (I have too many of these) split at the waist, and the recesses in the legs filled in to bulk him out a little. Sergeant torso with the head carefully removed for later use, leaving the overhead arch intact. A Chaos Warrior helm then goes in. I'll probably GS a collar to protect the neck joint. Storm bolter arm minus the bolter and cables (kept for later) with a centurian siege drill blu tac mounted for now. The sword in the other hand is a place holder, as muties have that option. The siege drill will count as a chainfist in combat, or a mace if you just whack them with it.

Metal washers at the waist to increase height, and shoulders to increase bulk. I'll probably GS fancy trim onto him, like the obliterators. Unsure about the flesh-curse yet. I may leave him pristine.

Cheers,

Xen

Edited by Xenith

oh Xenith you're almost right :smile.: i do live in launceston (just up the road from your old ground, but then everything in cornwall is pretty much 'just up the A30' :tongue.: ) but i am in fact from woking in surrey originally. if you don't mind me asking where up north have you moved to? i have family in lincs, anywhere near there?

as for the MoN Mutilator, it looks great but can't wait to see in in IW colours. hadn't thought of using the AoBR TDAs for this purpose. consider the idea yoinked. great ideas fella, can't wait to see more. 

I'm back in Manchester now, home home. I was down in Fal for postgrad work at the School of Mines down there.

Pretty much all of my Termies are AoBR conversions, I bought 2 sets when it came out, and traded the orks for 2 more sets of marines to get 4 dreads, 20 terms, 40 tacs...so much power armour...

I've done some more GS work on the other termies. Previously, as with the obliterators, I'd try and do all the trim at once, and inevitably some of it got mushed by my fat hands. I'm now doing it in pieces, and I think it's coming out pretty sharp, if I may say so myself.

Pics later today if I get enough work done!

Xen

As an aside, I want to get the whole army into this thread. Would people rather see an army shot, then request close ups of interesting stuff; squad level pics, with close ups; or individual close ups from right off the bat?

Edited by Xenith

Time for an update on the last lot of terminators:

Latest obliterator just about finished:

gallery_58096_12389_3865.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_6869.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_12671.jpg

I've got these lengths of copper wire which re excellent for twisting into cables!

gallery_58096_12389_23696.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_10545.jpg

worked on this one's trim

gallery_58096_12389_350649.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_489910.jpg

Trim and a weapon swap:

gallery_58096_12389_23881.jpg

New trim

Weapon swap, and one greave was converted from current mark to the one withoutthe knee pad as a test

In other news: Project Thousand Sons is creeping ahead. I've been working out ways to make Thousand Sons terminators...with mixed results. Then, going back to the original index: Astartes image, I decided to modify the face plate:

New face plate and modified greaves

gallery_58096_12389_18938.jpg

And the other one: Black reach terminator, chaos combi bolter and powerfist, grey knight shoulderpads, berzerker bunny ears on top, tiny tiny beads!

gallery_58096_12389_74.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Xenith

• 3 months later...

Ok, now that my thesis is submitted and defended: updates!

I've done a bit since the last lot. Since I made that plasma biker up, I painted him, and then decided to go back and re-model and paint my old bikers, probably 15 years old now. They have been put onto new bike bases, and I have made a plain biker into a meltagunner, converting a meltagun to look like the already strange looking one that comes with the bike unit.

Plasma gunner
gallery_58096_12389_29460.jpg

Old plasma gunner
gallery_58096_12389_967733.jpg

Old melta gunner
gallery_58096_12389_819319.jpg

Converted melta gunner
gallery_58096_12389_660045.jpg

The Aspiring champion gets to do a wheelie, and a magnetised arm, currently with converted combi melta, for tank busting goodness.
gallery_58096_12389_809764.jpg

I also converted up a cultist from cadian, catachan, and DV bits:

The terminators have begun to get paint on them, photos soon (ish)

Edited by Xenith