Xenith

• 1 month later...

+++Thusly continues the tale of Ahrabeth, Lord of Dust, Guardian of the Ninth Gate +++

The Thousand Sons have always been my favourite, and I always find myself drawn back to them. I've collected them since there was onlyone official model, and have generally had to convert my own.

After a while with the Iron Warriors, my attention has been drawn back to the Brotherhood of Dust.

I started by working on some conversions that have been in stasis for a decade or therabouts: Started when the plastic CSM box was a new thing

One of the Thousand Sons models in the 3.0 Chaos codex had this head (possibly one of the first published instances of a chaos warrior head on a chaos marine?), so I decided to copy it:

gallery_58096_7835_3931.jpg

This guy came much later, and as you can see, my GS'ing hs improved.

With the release of Dark Vengeance, I saw a lot of people upset that there were duplicate bolter toting marines. I saw opportunity. What other legion has rank upon rank of identical bolter wielding marines?

gallery_58096_7835_661281.jpg

Progress on the Terminator:

gallery_58096_7835_360093.jpg

And a Sorcerer in TDA conversion that I began long ago:

gallery_58096_7835_37361.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_528932.jpg

Also of interest, I decided to try and make a Tzeentch Chaos Lord that would ride a disc, have the burning brand, and generally be a nuisance in games. Here is progress: The flame-hand represents the burning brand. i figure this guy is Pyrae.

gallery_58096_7835_9906.jpg

I have also recently acquired the Daemons codex, and am looking forward to allying some horrors into my TS army. I have also been working on schemes for my cultists, theyre looking pret-ty sharp, if I may say so myself.

I'm going with a few themes for the cultists. First, there are a fallen Imperial Guard regiment, so slightly better equipment, healthier skin tone, etc.

gallery_58096_12389_646288.jpg

Then there are some ad-mech/hive-mutant looking cultists. These will either be ship ratings, or vat grown. Possibly both. Either way, they very rarely see the light of day, so are almost albino.

gallery_58096_12389_609852.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_278852.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_41589.jpg

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've done a few more bits and bobs, mainly getting the Thousand Sons Rubricae onto battlefield readiness - they still need a few layers of gold and highlighting, but they're tabletop ready.

What I've also done is gone back and sculpted tabards for them. I really liked the one I did on the horn Rubricae, so they all get them. I really feel it adds necessary bulk to the model - the TS end up being really tall and spindly with the crests.

gallery_58096_7835_7685.jpg

Also in there are some prototype crests for Rubric Terminators that I am experimenting on. Heres the MK1:
gallery_58096_7835_31649.jpg

And the Mk2 - Added tabard, crest, resculpted faceplate to closer resemble the Index Astartes: Thousand Sons Terminator
gallery_58096_7835_9512.jpg

The DV marine received his Legion Badge:

gallery_58096_7835_212867.jpg

And they all got some OSL on their eyes (I still need practice...):

gallery_58096_7835_379347.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_379347.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_12309.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Reborn

A new project is the reclaimation of my old Thousand Sons dread. It has been stripped, taken apart, and not it is time to rebuild.

As I did with my Omega Marine dread, I'm making this guy bigger. Washers at the ankles, waist and shoulders should see to that:

2 spacers in the ankle

gallery_58096_7835_11870.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_3672.jpg

3 Spacers in the waist

gallery_58096_7835_16655.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_25357.jpg

He's a biggun.

gallery_58096_7835_26823.jpg

Just how big, you ask?

This big:

gallery_58096_7835_9824.jpg

That is a proper dread.

I also managed to get my hands on these:

gallery_58096_7835_22503.jpg

3 sorcerers, 18 rubric heads, 11 bolters, some shoulderpads. So many options!

Until next time!

Edited by Xenith

Torsch'lag

Torsch'lag, Warsmith of the 109th Grand Company of the Iron Warriors Legion, depicted in power armour. The Iron Warriors of Torsch'lag's company are frequently seen fighting with the Thousand Sons of the Arch-Heretic Ahrabeth, former pupil of Ahriman. This is supported by the disproportionate attacks on Libraries, Reclusiums and Shrine-Worlds, seemingly non-military targets. Torsch'lag lost his right arms and leg, and hearing in the right ear in an incident involving a Chaplain of the Blood Angels Chapter, when the Warband was looting an imperial battlefield for wreckage. The Bionic claw that has replaced his arm makes him a dangerous foe.

gallery_58096_12389_387598.jpg

Edited by Xenith

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, Deathspectre - I'm away from home at the moment, so other views are not possible, but I'll take some more pics as soon as I can!

Here is a small fluff piece on Torsch'lag and the origins of his claw, from the Inspiration Friday thread:

Iron Phantom

Edited by Xenith

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My paintbrushes do work!

Behold, the IV Legion predator 'Immortal',

The Immortal has been in the armoury of the Iron Warriors Legion since the dawn of the Great Crusade, and has a history steeped in the extinction of Xenos species and those unwilling to see the illumination of the Imperial Truth. During the dark days of the Horus Heresy, the Immortal's guns were turned upon those still loyal to the Emperor. Treachery revealed at Istvaan V, the deaths of hundreds of Salamaders and Raven Guard Legionaires can be attributed to its fearsome weaponry. The Immortals first wounds came at the hands of the Primarch Corax, who ambushed an Iron Warriors armoured column, punching through the armoured front of the tank and crushing the skull of the driver in one swift motion, before destroying the right side motors, crippling the tank. Abandoned while the Iron Warriors regrouped and recovered from the wrath of Corax, and after the Raven Guard Primarch's flee from Istvaan, recovery of damaged materiel begun. The Immortal, bore many scars from the fight, and was about to be towed away for repair of the damaged drive motors, when the engine roared into life, before idling. Of the previous crew, there was no sign. No blood, no discarded armour, the ruination of the battle still writ large across its outer shell, the mechanisms of the Immortal appeared as perfect as the day it was commissioned.

Phall. Tallarn. Barakiel VI. The Immortal fought and was seen to die in all of these battles, and yet in the aftermath, appeared in full working order in the IV Legion vehicle hangars, the crew missing, presumed dead. The superficial damage to the outer shell would initially be repaired, however when the tank was next seen, be it in the hangar of a cruiser, or upon set down by thunderhawk transporter, it always returned, yet seemed to offer no additional weakness for the enemy to exploit: The armour, although ripped and dented, proved strong. Over time, Legion serfs and tech servitors were instructed not to bother patching up the tank, its spirit appearing to revel in its disfigurement.

After millenia of fighting within the Eye, the Immortal has found its way into the hands of Warsmith TorschLag, with whom it fights to this day. To crew the immortal is both a reward and a punishment from Torschlag. The tank will perform its duties, and bring honour and glory to its driver and gunners while protecting them in its armoured shell, however the tank commander that allows critical damage to befall the Immortal, be he outmaneuvered, outgunned or otherwise beaten...well, no remains have ever been found. There are no second chances with the Immortal.

gallery_58096_12389_1656406.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_1172479.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_522373.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_71287.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Thanks, guys!

Yes, I'm going through a tank phase and put a lot of effort into this one, and I think it's paid off. I'm also going darker and grittier with my IW, I think, inspired by some of the awesome work in the HH forums!

• 2 weeks later...

Vroom, bikes are done!

Just about. Now I have some outriders for my force. Excuse the squad, there are 2x plasma 2x melta and a combi melta champ in there, I need a second champion to make 2x 3bike units!

gallery_58096_12389_49202.jpg

This guy you've seen before, but touched up with more rust

gallery_58096_12389_49190.jpg

Melta

gallery_58096_12389_75887.jpg

Melta 2

gallery_58096_12389_91285.jpg

Champion with magnetised combi melta arm

gallery_58096_12389_1529276.jpg

One thing I have realised is that Chaos bikes suck. I think I'll be converting all mine from Ravenwing bikes with the cool fairings from now on, like the plasma gunner.

Edited by Xenith

• 1 month later...

And the next addition the the army, a large unit of Wolf Brothers!

Here is the first of...10 maybe?

gallery_58096_12389_293064.jpg

The Wolf Brothers were an attempt at a second founding chapter by the Space Wolves. Knowing their incompotence, they failed utterly, and the half Legion was wracked with mutation and fell to Chaos. They were last seen being pushed into battle by Magnus to delay some space wolf chapter master while Magnus wrecked The Fang.

These guys will be made from Space Wolf Pack, Possessed, Raptor and normal CSM parts.

Edited by Xenith

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So over a year since I posted here...that's pretty bad.

Since the advent of 8th I've been stepping off the gas with my Blood Angels and looking at other armies, namely Tyranids and wanting to finish off some other projects. I've had that old metal chaos dread I posted before for over a decade. He was painted, then stripped about a year ago, and embiggenend. Now he gets paint.

Retributor armour base over bare metal following Duncan's Thousand Sons tutorials - this worked quite nicely

gallery_58096_7835_513567.jpg

And then paint over the weekend. This was a relatively quick job, but is ok tabletop.

gallery_58096_7835_68595.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_211260.jpg

Also with a test Tzaangor

gallery_58096_7835_232494.jpg

This guy was a colour experiment I think worked.

gallery_58096_7835_411168.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_521974.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_538117.jpg

The Tzaangor was corax white base, leadbelcher then runefang over the metals, purple wash 50/50 leviathan to lahmian, skin was lamenters yellow glaze 3-4 coats straight over the white, shaded with cassandora yellow, then trollslayer (?) orange on the beak.

Thanks for looking!