Xenith

Ooh pretty pictures.

I think the green flames could use a yellow highlight.

Noted! I'll give it a go. Originally the flames were painted as 'true flames', we the then brightest point in the deepest recess, however it looked...wrong, admit tends to in miniature form. I covered it in scorpion/moot green with a Biel tan wash and never looked back. Might be time to revisit.

I've also picked up Alaitoc and Hoeth blue, GW's suggested highlights for dark blue, and will see how that looks.

Edited by Xenith

• 1 year later...

I'm looking at working on my TS again and have put up a test 1500pt list in the TS forum, any input is welcome!

I tried my hand at making a rough 1500pt list for the Thousand Sons that I could aim toward painting. The list is far from optimised, but I really have no idea what I'm doing with TS this edition. making armies is hard when you have to think of so many powers. So my questions are:

1) Do I use ahriman as the magic machine gun, or buffing agent, and use a Devastating magic+arcane focus exalted to do the mortal wounds?

2) I know a single mauler is silly, but it's what I have. Hellbrute will move forwards also. 

3) 2x small units of TS for smite spam or one larger for resilience?

4) lots of points in the scarabs and termie sorcerer to keep them alive - bad idea?

Any input is welcome!

+++ Thousand Sons Test (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [87 PL, 1,342pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [87 PL, 1,342pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Magic

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]: Doombolt, Infernal Gaze, Tzeentch's Firestorm

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch [8 PL, 143pts]: 6. High Magister, Arcane Focus, Force stave, Prescience, Warlord, Warpflame Pistol, Warptime

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour [8 PL, 111pts]: Force stave, Glamour of Tzeentch, Inferno Combi-bolter, Weaver of Fates

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 42pts]
. 8x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun: 8x Autogun
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 42pts]
. 8x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun: 8x Autogun
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 91pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Warpflame Pistol
. 4x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 91pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Warpflame Pistol
. 4x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun

+ Elites +

Helbrute [7 PL, 101pts]: Helbrute plasma cannon, Power scourge

Scarab Occult Terminators [22 PL, 364pts]: 2x Hellfyre Missile Rack
. Scarab Occult Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Combi-bolter, Temporal Manipulation
. 9x Terminator: 9x Inferno Combi-bolter, 9x Powersword

+ Heavy Support +

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 122pts]: Lasher tendrils

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 69pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter

Created with BattleScribe

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363440-initial-thousand-sons-1500/?p=5511695

Nice to see you back at Chaos! Not a Thousand Sons player so I can't offer tactical advice, though 10 terminators would look pretty cool on the table! :smile.:

Indeed they will! 40 AP2 shots is nothing to sniff at, and to reinforce that, this just arrived!

gallery_58096_7835_1459700.jpg

I managed to get my hands on a Fractal Blades Kill Team for

Dear Tzeentch. I finally dug my external HDD out of storage which had backups of my old Photobucket images, and I've gone through and updated pretty much every post with the original images or what I think were the originals. Took a while, but I think we're now up to speed and the blog is semi-readable!

The terrain in the Fractal Blades box is real nice, nice that you got it for cheaper. Looking forward to seeing them in their glory. I am quite in love with Terminators especially with my Space Wolves, but I shouldn't mention those, what with the subject matter for this thread. :teehee:

The terrain in the Fractal Blades box is real nice, nice that you got it for cheaper. Looking forward to seeing them in their glory. I am quite in love with Terminators especially with my Space Wolves, but I shouldn't mention those, what with the subject matter for this thread. :teehee:

Hehe, thanks! I also love terms, these will be fun to get through. Also, I have a Space Wolf in this thread!

gallery_58096_12389_293064.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Breaking my cultists out of storage, they have sat unpainted for too long (since I got them on release in 2012). Now with the advent of contrasts, I think it's time to plough through them. Seeing as I bought most contrast paints for my tyranids and skaven armies, the colours are a little...brighter...than I would want for a unit of grotty dregs of society, but I have enough browns and blacks in there to make some workable colours with a few glazes. With that in mind, I took my old chaos black undercoated guys out and gave them a shot of Grey Seer and got to work. This is them so far:

gallery_58096_12389_104819.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_661192.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_35567.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_612625.jpg

And compared to the originals:

gallery_58096_12389_41589.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_609852.jpg

I dont think they look too out of place. I really need to get a dark blue contrast though, that was the standard colour of my cultist trousers before. I might have to just paint the trousers macragge blue then finish the rest in contrasts to get the same effect.

So time to break out the SOT's I got when they were released...I think December 2016 perhaps?

As my first unit of these, one will defeinitely be a sorcerer. The next 5 will all be scarabs, I think, as I already have a staff/combi TDA sorcerer to lead a second unit if needs be.

gallery_58096_7835_813342.jpg

Edited by Xenith

I spent yeasterday evening getting these scarabs together, I'm loving this kit, although it feels they've maybe skimped on some details like the knee joint bolts, wrist power cables etc. Still, it makes beautiful models, and I'm looking forward to the challenge of painting them!

gallery_58096_7835_1528926.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_67914.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_108615.jpg

Some minor conversions, namely using some other legs for the sorcerer, as opposed to the ones supposed to be for him. Little did I know this meant I'd have to cut down the sorcerer tabard and stuff so it fits the other legs. I also magnetised the reaper cannon and the warpflamer to be swappable with both a combi bolter on that marine, and be able to swap the heavy weapon to the missile rack guy. The flexibility is nice as you never know when a codex or edition will change, making it better or worse to have your specials on one model or not.

Currently these are out in the yard after a coat of leadbelcher. I'm really tempted to slather these in contrast to get a metallic scheme, but I'd have to test it out on a normal rubric first. These will otherwise become part of the Silver Sons Sect.

Edited by Xenith

Hobby butterfly that I am, I've run back to try and finish those cultists off - I already have three done using old school methods, and found that I can rocket through them with contrasts. I almost finished 6 last night, just basing and metallics to go, compared to maybe 1 night per model before? Black Templar is perfect for the cultist gimp masks and the commissar trenchcoat champion.

I'll get some photos and update tomorrow.

Everything is looking good and I want to see those terminators built and painted up. I was hoping those aggressors were going to get converted up for the scarab occult. But I look forward to seeing what you do with them too regardless.

Thanks! The Scarabs have a coat of boltgun on them and will be next on the painting table. I'm heretical, but not heritical enough to convert those aggressors - theyre for some Blood Angel Sucessor!

I've finally finished off half those cultists

gallery_58096_12389_356030.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_217292.jpg

gallery_58096_12389_152642.jpg

The do really look quite rag-tag. It's not so easy on the eye, but I think that;'s what I ws going for, they're jumbled up enough, but still all only using the same 3-4 base colours. The contrast paints are nice in that you can maintain the same pallette, but glaze the models with multiple coats to get different shades, and an overall slight variation between models.

These dregs will be performing double duty as cannon fodder in my Iron Warriors and Thousand Sons army, so the main colour that joins both of those is yellow for the hazard stripes and helm crests, so the cultists have a visual tie to both. The blue ties to the thousand sons, and is kinf of uniformy, and I've tried to tie in the bright green spot colour of my IW in a couple of places.

My latest Thousand Sons have got orange eyes, however I might repaint them as glowy green like my earlier sons so tie both forces together, and then have the same spot colour running across my IW and TS.

Thanks for looking!

Nice work on the cultists! I like the idea of visually tying them into your IW and TS armies. I always though of keeping a limited palette with black, brown, and grey to do the same but I like the use of multiple colors. Makes them stand out and show they are rag tag cultists.

Nice work on the cultists! I like the idea of visually tying them into your IW and TS armies. I always though of keeping a limited palette with black, brown, and grey to do the same but I like the use of multiple colors. Makes them stand out and show they are rag tag cultists.

I might try something a bit more muted with the next batch - I think I have 80 or so cultists in total, I went a bit overboard buying them...

I just placed an order for some Scarab Occult crests and inferno bolters to hopefully convert a few Indomitus Termies to the Changer of the Ways - It'll be fun playing with them!

80 cultists? And bits to convert termies to the Scarab Occult? I'm in!

As for the schemes I like both. However, from what I can see with the pics, I like the blue in the second pic as it pops more. And I do not know if it is the picture but I like the yellow in the first pick, its more mustard yellow than the way it looks brighter in the second pic.

...I like the blue in the second pic as it pops more. And I do not know if it is the picture but I like the yellow in the first pick, its more mustard yellow than the way it looks brighter in the second pic.

My thoughts exactly :yes: 

The contrast between the brighter blue and the silver is better on the second one. Doesn't really matter if you mute the silver more or leave it as bright and shiny as it is. The muted yellow (Averland Sunset?) is better though as it does not draw attention away from the armour as much. 

With yellow, you could even mix the two - base with the muted one, and add highlight with the brighter one (Flash Gits?). 

Edited by Majkhel

I prefer the first one, second one seems a little too Night Lordy. I like the silver on the second one. Would it be possible to get a photo of the two models in the same picture? The lighting seems quite different. 

Both look quite nice, though. Has to be said.

Edited by BadgersinHills

80 cultists? And bits to convert termies to the Scarab Occult? I'm in!

As for the schemes I like both. However, from what I can see with the pics, I like the blue in the second pic as it pops more. And I do not know if it is the picture but I like the yellow in the first pick, its more mustard yellow than the way it looks brighter in the second pic.

...I like the blue in the second pic as it pops more. And I do not know if it is the picture but I like the yellow in the first pick, its more mustard yellow than the way it looks brighter in the second pic.

My thoughts exactly :yes: 

The contrast between the brighter blue and the silver is better on the second one. Doesn't really matter if you mute the silver more or leave it as bright and shiny as it is. The muted yellow (Averland Sunset?) is better though as it does not draw attention away from the armour as much. 

With yellow, you could even mix the two - base with the muted one, and add highlight with the brighter one (Flash Gits?). 

I prefer the first one, second one seems a little too Night Lordy. I like the silver on the second one. Would it be possible to get a photo of the two models in the same picture? The lighting seems quite different. 

Both look quite nice, though. Has to be said.

Thanks all! @BadgersinHills I've founf a photo of the two side by side uder the same (poor) lighting and added to the above post. I really need to get my lighting arrangement sorted. 

I think I also prefer the look of the darker blue, despite agreeing it's more night lordy...I also though Alpha Legion, which I also dont mind as these guys might be run using AL legion traits.

The darker also harkens back to the old IA article for the 'Sons:

220px-ThousandSonsPost-Heresy.jpghttp://redelf.narod.ru/pi/w40k/ia/ts_children.jpg

For reference, my first exposure to Thousand Sons was in the 3rd ed dex, where they didnt even have a model with a crest:

3rd_edition_thousand_sons_miniature.JPG

A lot of my older sons are just old metal CSM's painted blue, as GW did themselves! I still want to replicate the fire pattern on some models.