Jolemai

Buoyed by my success with my 1500 point list I have changed my original plans and expanded on that previous list. In theory it plays the same as the earlier list and the opposition it's likely to face, as well as the alternative models at my disposal can be found in my Blog.

The List

Mephiston

Librarian
~ Prescience and ????

Sanguinary Priest
~ Power Sword

Assault Squad (8)
~ Melta Gun
~ Plasma Pistol, Power Axe, Melta Bomb
~ Rhino

Tactical Squad (10)
~ Plasma Gun
~ Missile Launcher
~ Combi-Melta, Chainsword, Melta Bomb
~ Rhino

Death Company (10)
~ Bolter, Power Fist (1)
~ Bolter (1)
~ Bolt Pistol, Power Sword (2)
~ Drop Pod

Scout Squad (10)
~ Heavy Bolter
~ Sniper Rifle (9)
~ Camo Cloak

Attack Bike Squadron (2)
~ Multi Melta (2)

Predator Destructor
~ Lascannon Sponsons
~ Search Light

Furioso Librarian Dreadnought
~ Shield and Wings

Options

As you can see I've again gone for a "rock" unit screened by four vehicles and the bikes. I've then got the Scouts that cab sit on 1-2 objectives, a large distraction unit and no anti air (but I don't really need that just yet). I know I'm a little shy on scoring units, but what can I change to improve that? Any further thoughts?

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

I would hope that it offers me more flexibility for the above force than a Tactical Squad on it's own. These Scouts can hold objectives outside of my deployment zone or, if necessary outflank at a later date. Basically they offer something different from a standard Tactical Squad, but with a better cover save should I go to ground with them.

Id keep the scouts cheap 'n cheerful.

Use the points from losing their camo cloaks (and hb) for upgrading your priest to Corbulo. He will do WONDERS for this list.

Our destructors (preds) run in at 180 points- thats HUGELY overpriced in my view. Rather rock a las/auto variant for 45points less. Use the points from here and drop one DC to get yourself another attack bike.

Id consider at least one Axe on the DC instead of the Sword.

Youre very weak anti-air, but hopefully with all the quick forward pressure you can put on the enemy, you will be up in their grills by turn two.

Overall, I like it a lot.

Destructor variant is the one with the Autocannon - so it is an Autolas Pred :D

I was pondering the Axe instead of the second Sword in the Death Company and while I know you're a huge Corbulo fan, he doesn't quite do the goods for me - I think it's probably because I don't get "stuck in" with him, but that's more down to my inexperiences with using him I guess.

As for the AA I don't need it just now as there's only one Flyer (Dakka-jet) in my group, but I hope to add an Aegis Line to my collection at some point...

• 3 months later...

Got a match booked for this list on the coming weekend, so I've made some of the changes listed above.

Revised List

Mephiston

Librarian
~ Force Axe
~ Prescience and ????

Corbulo

Assault Squad (8)
~ Melta Gun
~ Plasma Pistol, Power Axe, Melta Bomb
~ Rhino

Tactical Squad (10)
~ Flamer
~ Missile Launcher
~ Combi-Melta, Chainsword, Melta Bomb
~ Rhino

Death Company (10)
~ Bolter, Power Fist (1)
~ Bolter (1)
~ Drop Pod

Scout Squad (10)
~ Sniper Rifle (5)
~ Shotgun (1)
~ Melta bomb

Attack Bike Squadron (2)
~ Multi Melta (2)

Predator Destructor
~ Lascannon Sponsons
~ Search Light

~ Shield and Wings

The Scout squad looks off but I plan on combat squadding them to have the Sniper Rifles either camping an objective or coming on late to claim a board edge one and the other five Scouts to keep up with Mephiston and provide cover or to use as a speed bump.

As highlighted above I have hardly any anti air capability and I have little way to change that before the game. I know I'll either be facing a Dakkajet or a Helldrake so I plan on getting into combat as early as possible to negate it while the Predator (blessed with Prescience) takes some pot shots. How far can a Rhino move to allow a Librarian to cast out of a fire point? Alternatively is there anything else I could try given the limitations above?

Edited by Jolemai

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking to squeeze in my new Stormraven, so here's the proposed changes:

Revised List

Mephiston

Librarian

~ Force Axe, Melta Bombs

~ Prescience and ????

~ Shield and Wings

Sanguinary Priest

~ Power Sword, Melta Bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta Gun

~ Inferno Pistol, Power Sword, Melta Bombs

~ Razorback

~~ Twin-linked Heavy bolter

~~ Dozerblade

Assault Squad (5)

~ Plasma Pistol

~ Plasma Pistol, Power Axe, Melta Bombs

~ Razorback

~~ Lascannon & Twin-linked Plasma Gun

~~ Dozerblade

Death Company (10)

~ Power Axe (1)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Drop Pod

Attack Bike Squadron (2)

~ Multi Melta (2)

Predator Destructor

~ Lascannon Sponsons

~ Dozerblade, Stormbolter

Stormraven

~ Twin-linked Multi Melta

~ Twin-linked Assault Cannon

~ Hurricane Bolters

Basically I have removed the Scouts and Tactical Squad, and downgraded Corbulo to a normal Priest. I have also split my RAS into two and added two Razorbacks in order to get the Stormraven in. Am I now woefully low on Troop choices for this force to be effective? Thoughts please.

Edited by Jolemai

• 1 month later...

With 2 5 man squads to score, you will crash and burn unless you manage to somehow keep them from getting picked off. Why so many Libbies? You have nothing left of significant size for the libby to buff. 

I would not bother with power swords on the DC, more axes or fists will reap more benefits. Especially the Axes, since they are just better in every way unless you have a very low model count.

As a 230 point model, using a storm raven purely as a gunship is a waste. It has amazing carrying capacity and ability to deliver 2 troops on 2 seperate objectives in a turn is pretty awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Wolf_Pack. I had been thinking the same with regards to the Troop choices so I have come up the following alternative:

Revised List

Mephiston

~ Shield and Wings

Sanguinary Priest

~ Power Sword, Melta Bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Melta Gun

~ Inferno Pistol, Power Sword, Melta Bombs

~ Razorback

~~ Twin-linked Heavy bolter

~~ Dozerblade

Assault Squad (5)

~ Plasma Pistol

~ Plasma Pistol, Power Axe, Melta Bombs

~ Razorback

~~ Lascannon & Twin-linked Plasma Gun

~~ Dozerblade

Death Company (10)

~ Power Axe (1)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Bolt Pistol, Power Sword (1)

~ Drop Pod

Scout Squad (10)

~ Sniper Rifle (5)

~ Shotgun (1)

~ Bolt Pistol & Close Combat Weapon (4)

Attack Bike Squadron (2)

~ Multi Melta (2)

Predator Destructor

~ Lascannon Sponsons

~ Dozerblade, Stormbolter

Stormraven

~ Hurricane Bolters

While I am still working on the best load out for the Scouts given what is at my disposal, this change should ensure I have some better options for scoring later in the game.

To be honest I'd like Corbulo back but I've got no idea where to shave off the points. Perhaps reduce my Death Company?

I would replace the predator with a devastator unit. They can make better use of cover, offer more volume, are less susceptible to  alphastrikes/ deep striking tank hunters. With this change you can swap out the priest for Corbulo. The devastators are cheaper than a pred.

-For scouts, go snipers all the way. A missile launcher could be a nice touch without too big of a price tag on it.

-I would include at least 1 power fist in your DC. You don't want them to get tied up by a dreadnought or wraithlord/wraithknight all game.

-Separates your bikes in two squads of 1. Forces a unit to waste all it's shooting at one, and lets you ping two seperate targets.

-You also need a way to remove cover saves. Replacing the Libby dread for a frag dread will accomplish this.

I totally disagree with Wolf_Pack on devastators vs. predators, but I'm not sure you have enough armor to make the predator work.  Actually, the list seems kind of schizophrenic about what it wants to be doing.

Anyway, the first thing I'd do is drop the furioso librarian.  It's irredeemably bad, and certainly not worth paying extra points for above a regular furioso.  If you want to stay mechanized, I'd look at getting some more mechanized options. 

I don't like the pistol upgrades on the ASM seargents either.  Or rather, if you're going with pistols, take a pair of pistols for gunslinger.  If you're using a power weapon, just take a bolt pistol.

Also not a big fan of plasma pistols on ASM at all, when meltaguns are available and cheaper.  Yeah, you lose an attack, but you get better anti-armor and an insta-kill shot against T4, and for less points too.

Speaking of finding points, when you're feeling low on models, its time to go through and strip out the unnecessary expenses:

Dozer Blades (all of them)

Pintle-Mounted Storm Bolter on the pred

Hurricane Bolters on the stormraven.  (Seriously, it synergizes with none of its other weapons).

Trim the weapon options down, and that might be another unit.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you again for your replies and I do apologise for the length of time it has taken to reply myself. Please note that while my choices may seem odd, this is due to simply taking what I have available.

I would replace the predator with a devastator unit. They can make better use of cover, offer more volume, are less susceptible to alphastrikes/ deep striking tank hunters. With this change you can swap out the priest for Corbulo. The devastators are cheaper than a pred. With my current setup the tank is flanked by the Razorbacks and gets covered by Shield of Sanguinius. Any Devastator Squad would be quickly isolated and looking at the models I've got, I can't spam, say, Missile Launchers. I have have bad experience with them.

-For scouts, go snipers all the way. A missile launcher could be a nice touch without too big of a price tag on it. I don't own a Scout armed with a Missile Launcher. My plan for the Scouts involves them taking advantage of Skies of Blood later in the game. The five with Sniper Rifles I can either start on the board or drop them out of the Stormraven first, while the "choppy" Scouts I can use to assault something off an objective. However I'm not sold on this yet...

-I would include at least 1 power fist in your DC. You don't want them to get tied up by a dreadnought or wraithlord/wraithknight all game. Noted

-Separates your bikes in two squads of 1. Forces a unit to waste all it's shooting at one, and lets you ping two seperate targets. Will do.

-You also need a way to remove cover saves. Replacing the Libby dread for a frag dread will accomplish this. While I could switch this out, I only have one Drop Pod meaning my Death Company would need to take a Rhino (seeing as neither will keep up on foot). As I want to use Shield of Sangiunius to cover my advance, removing the Librarian Dreadnought would require me to purchase a regular Librarian.

I totally disagree with Wolf_Pack on devastators vs. predators, but I'm not sure you have enough armor to make the predator work. Actually, the list seems kind of schizophrenic about what it wants to be doing. With this list, the Predator, Razorbacks and Mephiston move as one, with the Librarian Dreadnought using Wings to keep up and Shield to cover the advance. Given how weak five RAS are, the Librarian Dreadnought is also used to eat Overwatch fire and to supplement the RAS' attacks in combat. The Death Company arrive in the Drop Pod as a distraction, while the Scouts begin the game in the Stormraven for late-game objective grabbing.

Anyway, the first thing I'd do is drop the furioso librarian. It's irredeemably bad, and certainly not worth paying extra points for above a regular furioso. If you want to stay mechanized, I'd look at getting some more mechanized options. I don't have any further options. While I can jig some things around, the Librarian Dreadnought is integral to the plan listed above.

I don't like the pistol upgrades on the ASM seargents either. Or rather, if you're going with pistols, take a pair of pistols for gunslinger. If you're using a power weapon, just take a bolt pistol. The pistols are there to (hopefully) ensure I have less stuff to "kill me back" in combat. While it is expensive, on MSU they need to be optimised and going in naked is far from optimal. No?

Also not a big fan of plasma pistols on ASM at all, when meltaguns are available and cheaper. Yeah, you lose an attack, but you get better anti-armor and an insta-kill shot against T4, and for less points too. I only own one Meltagun, so it's either a Plasma Pistol or a Flamer for the second special weapon.

Speaking of finding points, when you're feeling low on models, its time to go through and strip out the unnecessary expenses:

Dozer Blades (all of them)

Pintle-Mounted Storm Bolter on the pred

Hurricane Bolters on the stormraven. (Seriously, it synergizes with none of its other weapons).

Trim the weapon options down, and that might be another unit.

I do realise you're correct, but I do have my reasons for equipping them as such. I have Dozerblades on my armour because I regularly get them immobilised on terrain... The Pintle-mounted Stormbolter is there for weapon destroyed redundancy... The Hurricane Bolters allow me to take advantage of Power of the Machine Spirit and can blitz a nearby squad... But yes, I will look into trimming them down to squeeze something else in.

Thanks again guys, I hope I outlined the methods to my madness. Edited by Jolemai

• 1 year later...

Going for something completely different with this list for the 7th edition.

Revised List

Captain Tycho

Damocles Command Rhino

Corbulo

Sternguard Veteran Squad (8)

~ Combi-Meltaguns (3)

~ Heavy Flamer

~ Drop Pod

~~ Locator Beacon

Terminator Squad (5)

~ Heavy Flamer

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Plasma Gun

~ Plasma Cannon

~ Melta Bomb

~ Rhino

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Flamer

~ Missile Launcher

~ Melta Bomb

~ Rhino

Stormraven Gunship

Devastator Squad (5)

~ Missile Launcher (3)

~ Multi Melta (1)

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

~ Conversion Beam Projector

~ The Tome of Vethric

~ Servo Skulls (3)

~ Psychic Mastery Level 1

Tactics

Servo Skulls are there for lesser chance of scattering the Orbital Bombardment and for the Drop Pod's arrival. It's cargo is Tycho, Corbulo and the Sternguard. The Terminators can land near the Drop Pod or the Servo Skulls for minimal scatter and should (along with the Stormraven) arrive faster due to the Damocles. The Tomb of Vethric should help the Devastators, and so should the Mastery Level when rolling on Divination. The Rhinos will allow for faster reactions to Maelstorm missions too.

If your opponent’s army contains any detachments chosen from any of the codexes shown in the table below, the bearer of the Tome of Vethric gains the corresponding special rule. For example, if your opponent had a primary detachment chosen from Codex: Tau Empire and an Allied Detachment chosen from Codex: Eldar, the bearer would have both the Furious Charge and Split Fire special rules.

Enemy detachment’s codex - Special rule gained by bearer

Dark Eldar - Night Vision

Eldar - Split Fire

Orks - Counter-attack

Necrons - Tank Hunter

Tau Empire - Furious Charge

Tyranids - Monster Hunter

From the Inqusitorial Relics and for the price of four Melta Bombs. (Yes, that should be Tome not Tomb... Oops!)

I 100% disagree about the Hurricane Bolters on the Raven - that is one of the most efficient values in the BA book. 30 points for 5 wounds per turn against T4? that's a bargain. And as for synergy, Squirrelloid can only be logically consistent if he says the weapons on a Land Raider Crusaders don't work - because who would want TL assault cannons, Hurricane bolters, and Multi Meltas.....?

Also, not real sure what the terminators are doing in there.... but they're cool looking and fun to play if you can actually make it across the board.

Thanks for the reply. The Terminators arrive via Deep Strike and are able to home in on any of four positions (Drop Pod's Locator Beacon or any of the three Servo Skulls - provided these are still alive of course). With reserve manipulation from the Damocles and Corbulo's re-roll (if necessary), the Terminators are likely to arrive on turn two and my opponent will have to deal with them.

Also, I rarely get to use them outside of Apocalypse and it would be nice to give them a game...

I can see you dropped the scouts, were they not pulling their weight for you either?

I tired to like scouts, I really did.  Even when they repeatedly let me down and failed to be useful over and over, I still kept fielding them.

Then one day I realised that 5 scouts with snipers and cloaks costs the same as an Auto-Pred with Heavy-bolter Sponsons I thought to myself "in what situation am I ever going to prefer 5 snipers (only hitting 50% of the time) to an armour 13 battle tank?"

I've never used them since and I've not missed them one bit.

To be honest, I love Scouts. Whilst I couldn't eat a whole one, I enjoy the flexibility they bring and (on paper anyway), the irritation they can be to an opponent. The thing is, I guess I just don't know how to use them.

The plan was to combat squad the above, with the Sniper Rifle-armed Scouts camping something and the combat-armed Scouts arriving in the Stormraven for drop shenanigans later in the game. However, the sniper Rifle guys didn't really do much and the others have the same impact for me as regular troops - usually negligible.

In other lists, I have tried Outflanking Scouts and various other tricks, but they aren't performing as I feel they should be so I have benched them for the time being. As this list is a return to old for me, I am basically giving my Tacticals another chance. Doesn't mean I wont switch them out again though...

• 1 year later...

Not game planned, but fancied sprucing up an old list to use some of my other units from my collection.

Revised List

Combined Arms Detachment

Damocles Command Rhino

~ Hunter-killer missile

~ Stormbolter

~ Searchlight

Librarian

~ Level 2 upgrade

~ Divination

~ Auspex

~ Bolt pistol and force sword

Dreadnought

~ Assault cannon and missile launcher

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Plasma cannon

~ Plasma Gun

~ Combi-plasma, bolt pistol and melta bombs

Scout Squad (5)

~ Camo cloaks

~ Heavy bolter with hellfire shells

~ Sniper rifle (3)

~ Boltgun, bolt pistol (2), melta bombs

Devastator Squad (5)

~ Missile launcher (3)

~ Boltgun, bolt pistol, melta bombs

Aegis Defense Line

~ Quad gun

Inquisitorial Detachment

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

~ Conversion beam projector, bolt pistol

~ Servo Skulls (3)

Archangels Orbital Intervention Force

Terminator Assault Squad (6)

~ Thunder hammer and storm shield (4)

~ Lightning claws (2)

Terminator Squad (6)

~ Heavy flamer

Terminator Squad (6)

~ Assault cannon

Strategy and options

Fairly simple really. The CAD sits back on Objectives with a 4++, with the Librarian likely rolling on Divination to buff either the Tactical or Devastator squad. The Damocles is there to get the Terminators on early and the Inquisitor is for fun (CBP) and for the servo skulls to help with scatter on the Terminators and the blast weapons.

Can fiddle with the weapon options on the Dreadnought by losing some melta bombs, can use a BSF instead of a CAD if necessary.