Jolemai

For the Terminators, you make one Reserves roll for the Formation and when they arrive, they can run and shoot on the same turn - so the list is built to maximise this.

Whilst I am unlikely to face an Imperial Knight, I might face a Wraithknight so the point still stands... Other then catch it in combat with the Hammernators (unlikely), I guess I'll either shoot it or ignore it...

Basically, I'm just trying to build a list where I can use my Terminators!

• 2 months later...

Done some fiddling to the list below. Changes in red.

Not game planned, but fancied sprucing up an old list to use some of my other units from my collection.

Revised List

Combined Arms Detachment

Damocles Command Rhino

~ Hunter-killer missile

~ Stormbolter

~ Searchlight

:HQ:

Sanguinary Priest

~ Bolt pistol and chainsword

~ Warlord

:Elite:

Dreadnought

~ Assault cannon and missile launcher

:Troops:

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Plasma cannon

~ Plasma Gun

~ Combi-plasma, bolt pistol and melta bombs

Scout Squad (6)

~ Camo cloaks

~ Heavy bolter with hellfire shells

~ Sniper rifle (4)

~ Boltgun, bolt pistol, melta bombs

:HS:

Devastator Squad (6)

~ Missile launcher (3)

~ Lascannon (1)

Aegis Defense Line

~ Quad gun

Inquisitorial Detachment

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

~ Conversion beam projector, bolt pistol

~ Servo Skulls (3)

Archangels Orbital Intervention Force

Terminator Assault Squad (6)

~ Thunder hammer and storm shield (4)

~ Lightning claws (2)

Terminator Squad (7)

~ Heavy flamer

Terminator Squad (7)

~ Assault cannon

Strategy and options

Fairly simple really. The CAD sits back on Objectives with a 4++, with the Librarian likely rolling on Divination to buff either the Tactical or Devastator squad. The Damocles is there to get the Terminators on early and the Inquisitor is for fun (CBP) and for the servo skulls to help with scatter on the Terminators and the blast weapons.

Can fiddle with the weapon options on the Dreadnought by losing some melta bombs, can use a BSF instead of a CAD if necessary.

Switching out the Librarian for a Sanguinary Priest means I can afford another red shirt and a lascannon for the Devastators. It also means I get improved durability (FnP) at the cost of accuracy (Divination). As I potentially have a game with this on the weekend, I'm still up for tweaking.

I've got the Damocles primarily for it's reserves manipulation. If I drop it and change the quad gun into a comms relay, I'll be 116 points at the cost of changing a +1 on the dice into a re-roll for Reserves (and this is before I consider the other benefits of the Damocles). Trying to work out what game changing units I have in my collection that would make that worth it...

What are you more worried about? AA or reserves?

You know me, I advocate 2 Lascannons & 2 missile launchers with +2 chafe marines in my devastator squads. Taking the coms relay gives you this with points to spare. But will leave you more vulnerable to Air Support. With the extra points you could also flesh out your priest, giving him the VV and an auspex, if you chose. otherwise I like the list.

I think the Veritas would actually be pretty null here.

Jolemai doesn't have a lot to infiltrate or benefit from MTC etc that doesn't already have it, especially if keeping back.

A Rhino for the Tac squad could be an option if you can fit it - let your cannon and plasma gun just shoot out and when the time is right drive up, unload and pop off four plasma shots in a new position.

Considering I know your opponent is bringing his new flyers with DftS I'd keep the Quad gun, considering it's about what, 800pts tied up in those terms you need them in asap but it's up to the dice gods as both reserves options are strong. If not... Drop the Damocles and change around some points for Karlean if you can get a model?

You could drop the Conversion beamer on the Inquisitor. That's a spicy but expensive weapon choice. You could do a straight swap for a Hellgun and a level of Psyker, netting a free Force Sword in the bargain. Alternatively, you could use the points for gear for the priest, a rhino for the Tacticals, or gear for the Devastators.

You could drop the Conversion beamer on the Inquisitor. That's a spicy but expensive weapon choice. You could do a straight swap for a Hellgun and a level of Psyker, netting a free Force Sword in the bargain. Alternatively, you could use the points for gear for the priest, a rhino for the Tacticals, or gear for the Devastators.

I think trying to win the Psychic phase against Eldar is futile. Mephiston can work because of his Warlord trait, psychic hood and ML3 but it's an uphill struggle to get powers off yourself too.

Thanks for all the responses folks. Basically, with all my lists I want them to be "take all comers", hence the lack of opponent mentioned. But yes, I would have been against Eldar this time.

What are you more worried about? AA or reserves?

The quad gun is there as my only AA choice (and that fact that I never use it). My Reserve manipulation is the whole point of the Damocles so it should be OK provided is survives to turn two.

I think the Veritas would actually be pretty null here.

Jolemai doesn't have a lot to infiltrate or benefit from MTC etc that doesn't already have it, especially if keeping back.

A Rhino for the Tac squad could be an option if you can fit it - let your cannon and plasma gun just shoot out and when the time is right drive up, unload and pop off four plasma shots in a new position.

Considering I know your opponent is bringing his new flyers with DftS I'd keep the Quad gun, considering it's about what, 800pts tied up in those terms you need them in asap but it's up to the dice gods as both reserves options are strong. If not... Drop the Damocles and change around some points for Karlean if you can get a model?

I've got Karlaen but he'll stay in the box for now. At first I thought that about the Veritas but see below... I can fit the Rhino in and it will bring ablative wounds to the Tactical Squad and/or be an extra Objective Secured camper.

Dropping the conversion beam projector will net me a Rhino in return - of course this means the Inquisitor is just there for Stubborn on the Devastators and the servo skulls...

I was thinking more for trying to grab Strategic Genius or Divide and Conquer here.

I can free up the points needed by dropping the Inquisitor's power weapon and some melta bombs. To be honest, it's our strongest Relic so I should probably take it - I'm in a CAD anyway so that's 2 rolls on Strategic with re-rolls...

Basically the "firebase" would castle up either in a corner or somewhere advantageous and around an Objective. The Scouts will camp elsewhere and the plasma Tacticals will get grouped together in the Rhino. The other five red shirts will likely go in Reserve to grab an Objective elsewhere at a later date...

That's a fair point. And with ML1 the only option, it's probably just throwing good money after bad, really. I think the trade of the Conversion Beamer for a rhino might be the best option there.

Regarding psykers, it's only the Eldar player in my group that I need to worry about really and even then, he doens't *always* go nuts about it. For example, if it's a Wraith Host then that's a Spirit Seer and a Farseer/Autrach elsewhere. If he opts for a jetbike & tank list (which he took in his last 1750 battle against Dark Angels) then it will be a Farseer and the odd Warlock. Basically, I've not seen him go full Seer Council outside of Apocalypse yet...

• 2 weeks later...

Latest changes in red:

Revised List

Combined Arms Detachment

Damocles Command Rhino

~ Hunter-killer missile

~ Stormbolter

~ Searchlight

Sanguinary Priest

~ Veritas Vitae

~ Warlord

Dreadnought

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Plasma cannon

~ Plasma Gun

~ Rhino

Scout Squad (6)

~ Camo cloaks

~ Sniper rifle (4)

~ Boltgun, bolt pistol

Devastator Squad (6)

~ Missile launcher (3)

~ Lascannon (1)

Aegis Defense Line

~ Quad gun

Inquisitorial Detachment

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword

~ Servo skulls (3)

~ Lightning claws (2)

Terminator Squad (7)

~ Heavy flamer

Terminator Squad (7)

~ Assault cannon

Strategy and options

Fairly simple really. The CAD sits back on Objectives with a 4++, with the Librarian likely rolling on Divination to buff either the Tactical or Devastator squad. The Damocles is there to get the Terminators on early and the Inquisitor is for fun (CBP) and for the servo skulls to help with scatter on the Terminators and the blast weapons.

Can fiddle with the weapon options on the Dreadnought by losing some melta bombs, can use a BSF instead of a CAD if necessary.

Switching out the Librarian for a Sanguinary Priest means I can afford another red shirt and a lascannon for the Devastators. It also means I get improved durability (FnP) at the cost of accuracy (Divination). As I potentially have a game with this on the weekend, I'm still up for tweaking.

I've got the Damocles primarily for it's reserves manipulation. If I drop it and change the quad gun into a comms relay, I'll be 116 points at the cost of changing a +1 on the dice into a re-roll for Reserves (and this is before I consider the other benefits of the Damocles). Trying to work out what game changing units I have in my collection that would make that worth it...

Opting for the VV and a Rhino over the Librarian as I feel more strategic buffs and more durability will be better than more accuracy...

Game should be on for the weekend.

Derp, that's actually supposed to say two twin-linked autocannons...

To be honest though, I'd rather than the higher ranged output than enhanced combat capabilities on a Dreadnought which will be sitting back.

Grab some rad grenades on the inquisitor, they reduce the toughness by one for everything locked in combat with them. It's nice being able to double out all the T5 models and you wound wraithknights on 2's if you get the charge off.  They have another relic that confers usrs to a unit, i can't remember all of them, but one of them is scout giving you some tactical flexibility. 

Worth noting is that rad grenades lower toughness first round of combat, so while it isn't an ongoing effect it still works without the charge.

With regard to (in-Codex) Dreadnoughts and shooting the rifleman often yields the best results. If only we could take Mortis Dreads...:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Latest changes in red:

Revised List

Combined Arms Detachment

Damocles Command Rhino

~ Hunter-killer missile

~ Stormbolter

~ Searchlight

Sanguinary Priest

~ Veritas Vitae

~ Warlord

Dreadnought

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Plasma cannon

~ Plasma Gun

~ Rhino

Scout Squad (6)

~ Camo cloaks

~ Sniper rifle (4)

~ Boltgun, bolt pistol

Devastator Squad (6)

~ Missile launcher (3)

~ Lascannon (1)

Aegis Defense Line

~ Quad gun

Inquisitorial Detachment

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword

~ Servo skulls (3)

~ Lightning claws (2)

Terminator Squad (7)

~ Heavy flamer

Terminator Squad (7)

~ Assault cannon

Strategy and options

Opting for the VV and a Rhino over the Librarian as I feel more strategic buffs and more durability will be better than more accuracy...

Game should be on for the weekend.

A bit later than planned, but here's how the list got on...

• 5 months later...

Been thinking about this list lately and here's the latest version. Basically, the Inquisitor has been benched in favour of the Chapter Ancients formation...

Revised List

Combined Arms Detachment

Damocles Command Rhino

Aegis Defense Line

~ Comms Relay

Sanguinary Priest

~ Chainsword and melta bombs

~ Veritas Vitae

~ Warlord

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Plasma cannon

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Missile Launcher

Whirlwind Squadron (1)

~ Storm bolter

Chapter Ancients

Dreadnought

~ Twin-linked autocannon (2)

Dreadnought

~ Twin-linked autocannon and missile launcher

Dreadnought

~ Twin-linked heavy flamer and heavy flamer

~ Drop Pod

Terminator Assault Squad (7)

~ Lightning claws (3)

Terminator Squad (7)

~ Heavy flamer

~ Chainfist (1)

Terminator Squad (7)

~ Assault cannon

~ Chainfist (1)

Strategy and options

Fairly simple really. The CAD sits back on Objectives with a 4++. The Damocles and Comms Relay is there to get the Terminators on early. Flamer Dreadnought has the potential to be brutal whilst the other two can either start in Reserve or behind the Aegis Line. I still think this list needs some work to make it usable though...

I guess I don't really know where I'm going with this list theme wise (or the part where I use stuff I don't often use in my collection - hence the Terminators, Priest and regular Dreadnoughts). Oh, and I have no anti-air capability :/

Previously this was the SoB OIF Formation, do the larger numbers made sense. As it is Angel's Blade I can probably keep the shooty ones minimum but having that extra ring on the Assault TDA is paramount to any success imo.

Will play around with it.