Well, until I get models to replace them, the two I have will remain amongst the models I have :laugh.: I've posted a new list with two Sisters units proxied until I get proper ones. I'm roughly half way through painting what I do have (will post pictures either here or in my WIP forum topic), so I'll be able to get my first game in with them soon :happy.:

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the dust is settling after ETL (where I failed :sad.: ), I'm turning my attention again to my Sisters army. After the news that the Immolator is no longer available from the UK GW site, I'm a little disheartened, as I wanted to get at least one :sad.: Still, if push comes to shove, I'll either have to make my own from scratch or bite the bullet and get one via ebay...

I heard on a Sisters FB page that the Exorcist apparently has the Immolator sprue included with it. Is this true?

Anyway, I have a day off tomorrow and intend on getting more painted. For those of you who haven't seen my WIP forum topic, here's a few pictures:

med_gallery_51296_8390_499462.jpg

The second Canoness' face is a little ruddier than I wanted, but it kinda suits Saffron Sera's character - she's nearly always mad! :laugh.:

The Sisters with the blonde hair, however, came out better than I expected. I have, of course, forgotten the method I painted their hair colour, so I need to rediscover it again... :laugh.:

med_gallery_51296_8390_139301.jpg

Lucia's Providence. I really enjoyed painting this model. The turrets and the rest that needed finishing have been completed now, and I really want to get another Rhino started soon.

med_gallery_51296_8390_171184.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8390_189288.jpg

I'm going to get a couple more sets of each of the Rhino doors soon. Nothing but the best for my Sisters! :wub.:

That Rhino is looking the goods @Aquilanus.  The SoBs too.  Any ideas for bases yet?

I feel your pain re hair colour too... I paint my SoBs 5 at a time, and of course between each batch I manage to forget the colours I used, and have to go through trial and error to get it looking right (or "near enough").

Thanks! I really like your topic, which was one of a few that finally decided me on getting on the Ecclesiarchy train :laugh.:

I had intended on doing the bases first with the GW Agrellan Earth or Martian Iron Earth paints, but whilst they looked okay initially on another tester model, the paint came off almost immediately after drying. Not sure if I've not done it correctly (possible, although I did put enough on each base, so not sure what could have gone wrong...), or it could just be that they're not very good. I might have a go at using one of the Technical paints instead. Not sure which though.

I tend to batch paint models these days myself. I wish that I'd painted all of the Sisters with hair first, but the helmless Sisters are divided between a few squads, so in the end I painted by specific squad rather than model type :laugh.: One way around it would just be to paint a few Sisters with black or darker brown hair (or the Stereotypical white hair :laugh.: ), and have a fiddle around to see if I can remember. In fact, as I type this, I think I remember. It was a flesh tone (forgot which, but it'll come to me when I see it) and then washed with yellow glaze :happy.:

I've (mostly) primed and preshaded (kind of) nearly all of the models I have currently. I'm sorely tempted to go to my local GW and just get an Exorcist later on, or at least get a few more "line" Sisters to get at least one squad up to 10. After that, I want to get either a Repentia squad or some Seraphim :happy.:

That's a nice blonde you did there, Aqui!

For the record, if it's Repentia or Seraphim then I vote Seraphim.  They have a place in more army lists and they're easier to use too.

That's a nice blonde you did there, Aqui!

For the record, if it's Repentia or Seraphim then I vote Seraphim.  They have a place in more army lists and they're easier to use too.

I agree :smile.:

I've gone for getting a Seraphim squad. This one in fact :happy.:

I'm still going to get Repentia though, as the Order are a sub Order of the Valorous Heart, who are apparently known for having more Repentia than most others.

I've painted some more, but I still have some way to go before they're finished. Pictures to follow! :happy.:

Thanks! I really like your topic, which was one of a few that finally decided me on getting on the Ecclesiarchy train :laugh.:

Thanks @Aquilanus - I'm flattered, and glad that my humble sisters managed to help convince you to fight the good fight!

I'm pleased you went with Seraphim over Repentia...  I've got a whole lot of Repentia that I'm really struggling to find a place for in any Army List...  I love the models, and I really want to make them work, but they just don't seem to be that good.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong?  But Seraphim are (by all accounts) a good choice - not that I've managed to make them work particularly well either...

Looking forward to seeing the next lot of painted sisters!

Well, here's two pictures of today's progress:

med_gallery_51296_8390_87263.jpg

med_gallery_51296_8390_181311.jpg

The success in painting hair has been mixed :laugh.:

Two have bubblegum pink hair. A few have "natural" blonde/ash blonde/very light brown hair. Two have perxiode blonde hair :laugh.:

The base colour for all of them has been screaming skull, then a wash of whichever colour I decided to try. The first attempts (the better ones in my opinion) was with the Cassandora yellow shade. I might repaint the others to match them...or I might leave them as they are :laugh.:

I'm pleased you went with Seraphim over Repentia... I've got a whole lot of Repentia that I'm really struggling to find a place for in any Army List... I love the models, and I really want to make them work, but they just don't seem to be that good. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? But Seraphim are (by all accounts) a good choice - not that I've managed to make them work particularly well either...

I saw the ebay lot earlier, realised that they are rare oop and never been painted, so I pounced on them :laugh.: I'm still getting a squad of Repentia, and even a Penitent Engine (even if I never, ever use them), as I think that a squad of homicidal maniacs attacking the enemy with no armour or thought for their own safety is true "grimdark"!

I still need to get some more Rhino doors, but I'll have to leave that until the end of the month.

Now that the dust is settling after ETL (where I failed :sad.: ), I'm turning my attention again to my Sisters army.

What makes you think you're getting away that easily? :wink:

I ain't going anywhere :tongue.:

So, after a brief panic that the Immolator was being discontinued (which I ordered and hope to get around Thursday), I can say that the total points I have available is 1201! :happy.:

The list below still relies on counts as models for the Penitent Engine and the Exorcist (Which I'll be getting sooner than later).

Sisters list NEW (1201pts)

Adepta Sororitas: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment)

No Force Org Slot

Sororitas Command Squad

Hospitaller, Melta Bombs

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Flamer

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Flamer

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Storm Bolter

Celestian

Bolt Pistol, Storm Bolter

Sororitas Rhino

Dozer Blade, Extra Amour, Laud Hailer, Storm Bolter

HQ

Canoness

Chainsword, Inferno Pistol, Melta Bombs, Rosarius, The Mantle of Ophelia

Saint Celestine

Troops

Battle Sister Squads x2

4x Battle Sisters, Flamer

Sister Superior

Chainsword, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Upgrade to Veteran Sister Superior

Battle Sister Squad

4x Battle Sisters

Sister Superior

Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Melta Bombs, Upgrade to Veteran Sister Superior

Fast Attack

Seraphim Squad

5x Seraphim, Two Hand Flamers

Seraphim Superior

Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Power Sword

Heavy Support

Exorcist

Dozer Blade, Extra Amour, Laud Hailer, Storm Bolter

Penitent Engine Squadron

Penitent Engine

Retributor Squad

4x Boltgun, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta

Immolator

Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer

Retributor Superior

Boltgun, Melta Bombs, Power Sword, Upgrade to Veteran Retributor Superior.

I've spoken to a few people I work with (and have been leaving subtle hints that they should join the B+C. Need to be less subtle :laugh.: ) and they seem interested in playing a game at some point. It might take a while before we can though as we work on different shifts. Armies they collect include Guard, Dark Angels and Ultramarines. I must admit that playing against Guard would be fun, if not a little hairy (lets face it - just having two minimum troop choices will out number me :laugh.: )

I have next week end off, so it'll be back to painting and working out making six objective counters (seven actually, as I want to make a special one to mark where Celestine fell)

Just a quick question - the Simulacrum Imperialis. Is it worth taking? I might get a couple to add to squads.

I've always liked the Simulcum, but that's as much for the model as anything else really. A nice to have if you've got floating points.

My current aim is to get to 1500pts (it'll probably end up more than that...), so it won't be too much of a problem. My list of things to get:

Proper Exorcist

Proper Penitent Engine

More Sisters to bulk up the BSS

More Heavy weapon Sisters

More Rhinos (with FW doors) for my BSS

Perhaps more Immolators :laugh.:

To be brutally honest, I don't think I've ever felt as though a simulacrum did anything to particularly help my army in this codex. Acts of Faith just aren't that important when for the same points you can generally take more weapons!

To be brutally honest, I don't think I've ever felt as though a simulacrum did anything to particularly help my army in this codex. Acts of Faith just aren't that important when for the same points you can generally take more weapons!

Acts of faith is something that I'm still getting to grips with. Whilst they are integral to a Sisters army from what I can gather, I'm more of a "Fire power solves everything" player. My Rainbow Warriors have a psyker (yes, I know), but I haven't used him yet as I've always used the points towards a Heavy slot :laugh.:

Guns are simpler to use and more reliable true, but for that extra push at the right moment AoF can swing a game. It was only recently that I finally got fully to grips with the psychic phase as it's just not something I use much but I'm glad I did. Now I can put psykers in and use them effectively, so the same will be true for you when you get on top of Acts and find that its actually pretty straight forward :)

Guns are simpler to use and more reliable true, but for that extra push at the right moment AoF can swing a game. It was only recently that I finally got fully to grips with the psychic phase as it's just not something I use much but I'm glad I did. Now I can put psykers in and use them effectively, so the same will be true for you when you get on top of Acts and find that its actually pretty straight forward :smile.:

I'm hearing allot of witch based Heresy here...

It is true with AOF though, some are not that important but others can swing whole games like ignores cover dominors and even prefered enemy on our Core.

Huh, weird.  I've never had an AoF swing an entire game.  Nice little bonuses to be sure but in comparison to what other factions can use to boost their units, not worth investing too heavily in in my opinion.

Except for Celestine's :p

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd make a brief post to update the situation I have with my Sisters. Firstly, the oop Seraphim never turned up (apparently they are "lost in the post", but the ebay vendor has not given my much support outside a few brief replies, which I'm disappointed about as his ebay rep was quite a high one. So I've decided to go through the process of a refund. He's away until after the refund procedure date, so I hope to get that money back soon.) Secondly, I got myself an Exorcist for my 40th birthday. I'll be receiving that next Thursday :wub.: I've also had it confirmed that the Exorcist includes the Immolator sprue, so when I finally strip the Rhino I got with another ebay lot (currently in UM colours), I'll have two Immolators! :wub.:

To compensate for the lack of Seraphim models, I think I'll just buy some new ones from GW (when I get the money back :dry.: ) and convert one of them to make a Superior. I have a spare Canoness arm and I should be able to get a plasma pistol from somewhere.

I hope to get back to painting what I do have on Monday when I have a day off. However, to make this post worth while, I thought I'd give a little more background to the Order...

Homeworld: Byzantium, Segmentum Pacificus

Nominal strength: around 100-200 Sisters. Current strength around 104 Sisters

Canoness: Saffron Sera

Colour scheme:

gallery_51296_8390_10692.jpg

Background:

Created from the remnants of a Mission(?) of Sisters from the Order of the Valorous Heart. In a fateful mission to rid a Shrine planet of a group of Chaos Marines known as the Bahltimyr Reavers, their numbers were decimated. It took a long time for them to recover, mainly due to the Canoness, Eliza Cho refusing to rest until their enemy laid dead at her feet. It took another twenty two years before they located them again. In another desperate battle, Cho and over eighty Sisters fell, the rest surviving only because the Warband had found what they were looking for. Left for dead, it was their allies, Marines from the Amber Dragons Chapter that found the survivors. The Chapter was engaged elsewhere and were unable to respond to their distress calls. The remaining Sisters had spent another four years on the planet that had nearly ended them. Led by Saffron Sera, a Sister known both for her fury in battle and for ending the life of a Sister to prevent a Daemon Princess of Slaanesh from entering the material universe, she petitioned the Order of the Valorous Heart to be given leave to create a new Order in memory of those fallen. The Canoness Commander did not make her decision lightly and pondered for many more years, before giving her blessing. By this time, the remnants had already recovered to a minimal size, their robes now the colour of the flower that grew in vast numbers on the battlefield that became the grave yard of their sistren. The mind set of the Order is still quite similar to that of their "parent" - personal sacrifice and extreme scrutiny to perceived sin and failure mean that there is a high number of Repentia at any time. Those who choose to become one are held in awe as they give everything they have and more to redeem themselves in the eyes of the Emperor.

Their main objective is to watch over a small group of planets in the Byzantine system, known in the past to be rebellious. Heresy is put down immediately, the ruthlessness of the Sisters keeping most planets in order through sheer terror alone. Their secondary objective is to finally rid the Imperium of the Warband that nearly destroyed them. Thus far, their quarry has eluded them.

Notable members:

Saffron Sera.

Her fury knows no bounds, her fervour on the battlefield is legendary. Refusing to retreat, never letting the enemy keep an advantage, she has a shrewd mind for tactics, but her obsession of destroying the Bahltimyr Reavers or indeed other warbands that they encounter blind her to the potential dangers ahead that could end her Sisters permanently. She also scours herself more and more frequently, especially whenever she loses Sisters. Her most junior Sister, Rebekha is the one who whips her back, often to the point that Sister Lyse has to repair the extensive damage with skin grafts (that Sera deliberately turns to scar tissue). Rebekha was chosen as she was previously a slave and no stranger to torture herself. Sera's flame red hair, imposing size (standing at six feet three inches out of her armour) and artificed artificial left arm, engraved with the words of Saint Lucia herself have intimidated many an ally and is the last thing her enemy sees. She has a beautiful power sword known as Lucia, tempered, but usually uses a Chainsword that she refers to as the Piety

Celestian Superior Motoko

One of the few experienced Sisters from before the Order was created. Whilst many had chosen her to lead, including Sera herself, she refused, seeing in Sera the type of leader needed to take them forward. Stoic and inspirational in her own way, she is Sera's second and the first to enter the fray after her Canoness. Despite her advancing years (the rumour around junior Sisters is that she is at least seventy years old), she appears to all as someone thirty years younger and is as physically able as someone far younger than that. Motoko is unflinching in her faith in the Emperor and Saint Lucia.

Hospitallier Lyse

A Sister of the Order of the Cleansing Water who survived the attack on the Shrine planet Sydar, her small Hospital was set up to accommodate the sick and ill pilgrims that visited. It was one of the first buildings destroyed by the Bahltiyr Reavers, knowing that the fear and confusion would help them accomplish their goals. Attaching herself to the Sisters who arrived to purge the planet, she stayed with them since, her skills keeping many Sisters alive, Sera herself being saved on at least three occasions. Her Sisters see her as a dedicated, if often, aloof person. There is a darker side to her personality - she takes a grim satisfaction acting as the Order's torturer. A side rarely seen by the others, she was once responsible for the deaths of six of her fellow Hospitalliers when she saved the life of a prisoner, despite a direct order to let him die. As a result, she vowed to make up for her mistake, realising the futility of offering a second chance to those who turned against the Emperor. Her loyalty to Sera and her Order is undoubted, but she secretly fears that her Canoness' fury is a double edged sword. On the one hand, it is a source of strength, but on the other, it might result in her death, her inability to think rationally at times has already brought her close to death many times...

Junior Rebekha

A former slave of a traitorous Governor, Rebekha was one of the few Sisters received from the Schola Progenia to gain full marks. She has refused time and time again to reveal her experiences to all but Inquisitor Elene Amigos and Canoness Sera. All that is known of her previous life is that she should not have survived, tortured to as near to death again and again and again. Amigos had tested her for potential Heresy and taint over the course of six months and found nothing. Whilst she does not believe as others do in miracles, she does believe that her survival was dues to sheer determination and complete faith in Him on Earth. Rebekha is tasked with a duty that only Hospitallier Lyse knows of and then only physical evidence. One that the quiet, loyal Sister carries out with dedication...

More to come soon :smile.:

Edited by Aquilanus

Mission is the right word. :)

I like the backstory, it makes sense - especially with explaining their armour. Gives them a nicely macabre feel. Did you know that white is for funerals in China?

Also, amused the Baltimore Reavers :p

My only real question would be why the other Sisters would be horrified as Lyse taking up weapons. Hospitallers are normally more than ready to raise a bolter in defence of their patients under normal circumstances, they're by no means a pacifist order. More like Mordin Solus than Mother Teresa.

Mission is the right word. :smile.:

I wasn't sure if a Mission was about the right size. I wanted a "realistic" size for a relatively new Order.

I like the backstory, it makes sense - especially with explaining their armour. Gives them a nicely macabre feel. Did you know that white is for funerals in China?

Whilst they've always been a "descendant" of the Valorous Heart, I decided that their colours would be a negative or opposite to them. I had read (somewhere) about Chinese funeral rites, so it might have been an unconscious thing making them a dirty white or white grey :laugh.:

Also, amused the Baltimore Reavers :tongue.:

Yeah, they're one of my older DIY's when I was more into making amusing DIY's (after all the Warband leader is Rai Lurweiss :tongue.: )

My only real question would be why the other Sisters would be horrified as Lyse taking up weapons. Hospitallers are normally more than ready to raise a bolter in defence of their patients under normal circumstances, they're by no means a pacifist order. More like Mordin Solus than Mother Teresa.

I must admit that I haven't (yet) found a reason why they'd be horrified about Lyse's in battle behaviour that wouldn't result in her being killed (i.e. Heretical behaviour/psychosis that even Sisters won't tolerate). I'll have to think on it :smile.:

Or perhaps that is it...Lyse is a gentle soul that has boundless compassion for anyone loyal to Him on Earth. But, perhaps there are rumours that she goes a bit too far in battle. Torturing prisioners, taking far too much pleasure in ending the life of a Heretic. Nothing that goes down the route of Chaos (as I refuse to believe in Chaos Sisters of any type...), but something that no one yet has addressed with her or the Canoness, mainly as she's one step from taking the Repentia Oath herself...

An excess of passion might unsettle her Sisters, but you're right, it is very hard to think of something that they would outright disapprove of. Torturing heretics isn't evil, after all - Inquisitors often prefer Hospitallers as their team medic slash torturer according to Codex: Witch Hunters...

However, you could consider the way the Valorous Heart approach penitence and sin. Perhaps Lyse is too forgiving - of herself and her Sisters, as much as the enemy. Too liable to offer heretics a chance to surrender.

I like it the scheme and the thematics behind it. I also like that your story shows struggle to let them split from their main brethren (as most stories don't show that side). All the characters mesh well together as they all have the same goal, I know all sisters do but going about it their quite similar in mindset as well. Repentia are such an awesome side to sisters that I find it hard not to make a chapter that wouldn't have them teeming about :P.

And as a Carolina Panthers fan, I approve at the filthy heretic Baltimore Ravens...I, I mean reavers :P

Lyse is a good way of showing how a different order may not have the same approach as most conventional sisters, making her very surgical and medically minded could make her look ruthless and enjoying torture to her fellow sisters and yet to her she is being precise, knowing where to nick her patients arteries to make them talk. I kind of see her as the nurse in daredevil, once she's angered she tells him exactly where to strike to get the answers he needs.

"What's that?" Replied Lyse, eyes cold as she scanned through the tools in tront of her.

The heretics eyes widened in horror as the hospitalier raised the finely sharpened scalpel from the table.

"I said everything I know! I swear, I don't know where they are!?" Cried the heretic, pulling wildly at his ropes. Lyse unblinking flicked through his flesh with ease, missing every necessary ventricle and artery she sliced through his Achilles tendon in one precise stroke. His screams meant nothing to her, she had a job to do and nothing more.

"Without proper treatment you will never walk on that leg again, now let's do the other..."

"Ok, ok! I'll tell you everything!" Screamed the reaver...

"Very good" Lyse proclaimed, her sisters would be pleased with the news.

:P

Edited by Sororita Katya