Ave Dominus Nox

arterialsplash

Loving these conversions. The Talon bit as a power axe is genius! I really like the look of the Lightning Claw guys as well. I will say I think the chains may be a bit too bulky, if you can get a hold of some of the chains from the Marauder Horsemen kit I think they would work better.

I kind of dont want to go too "wet" with the blood. i think that due to the cold environment they are in and the fact that its space marine blood on the chainsword suggests to me that its going to clot and dry very quickly. i was thinking of going over the top of it in a few places with some sort of gloss varnish so it gives the look of fresh blood drying over older blood.

please tell me the secrets of your blue and lightning :huh:, I have decided to go with either a Night Lords army in the HH or my own chapter. And so far you are making my want to do your Night Lords, btw I will make those bikers first if you can spill those secrets since now I have the huner to make them into something really great and awesome :). I woud like to know how make every inch of your model so I can make them for the HH, that way it will a fantastic Night Lords army, I will expecting it soon, brother! Don't keep me waiting ;)

Very well coldwinter you have left me no choice lol. I just so happen to have a base painted model allmost ready for my final stage... LIGHTNING! So ill take some snaps and hopefully have a quick tutorial up for you by the end of the day. So glad to hear you are contemplating night lords their background just inspires me so much. Looking forward to seeing those bikes brother.

Very well coldwinter you have left me no choice lol. I just so happen to have a base painted model allmost ready for my final stage... LIGHTNING! So ill take some snaps and hopefully have a quick tutorial up for you by the end of the day. So glad to hear you are contemplating night lords their background just inspires me so much. Looking forward to seeing those bikes brother.

Well what can I say, I'm very cold Winter like :) . Well I can't wait to see the tutorial and how to do that bronze and blue. Those are all the things I need to know to make the army, very inspirational, don't worry the bikers should be this weekend and I think I will make them...Night Lord style a little, just commemorate them to you. The scouts can wait, since my army isn't going to be fielded for awhile, the bikers will come first and will be very imposing in some way. Keep me updated, I will look later today :huh:

Aaaaand here you go coldwinter. Tutorial for my paint scheme and lightning.

So here we pretty much have a marine at the base coat and wash stage.

gallery_69900_7944_3678431.jpg

The blue is kantor blue, with macragge blue watered down covering the upper areas where the light would hit. I put the macragge blue on very wet and then blend it down with just plain water.

The bronze is just balthasar gold, khorne red for the red areas, and leadbelcher for the steel, the skin is bugmans glow.

Over all the base colours I use a badab black wash. You could probably use nuln oil for this but i havnt tried it yet quessing its the same. Its pretty much one solid coat for the non metallics and 3 coats for the bronze and steel or until you get the shade you want. From here we dont touch the metals again. Pretty simple.

The next stage is the highlighting of the raised edges where the light is going to hit.

gallery_69900_7944_3101450.jpg

So in this stage we highlight the blue areas with alaitoc blue. I try to be pretty sparing with the blue as i want to keep the overall look very dark "midnight clad" if you like :D.

The red gets a two stage highlight first with mephiston red then with evil sunz scarlet.

The skin is bugmans glow mixed with pallid whitch flesh over about 3 stages progressively building up to pure pallid whitch flesh. Ive also put a kantor blue vein on the forehead on the 2nd highlight but the camera doesnt pick that up so good. The teeth are picked out with mournfang brown followed by a 50/50 mix mournfang brown and averland sunset.

Now to finish it off we move on to the lightning, this technique is modified from some very helpful advice from my local GW :lol:

We start by putting down lines of xerius purple wherever you think it would look good on the armour. This provides shadow for the lightning. Its ok if the lines are a little thick as you can go back and fix them with more kantor blue and badab black at the end.

gallery_69900_7944_3958423.jpg

Next step is a very fine line of alaitoc blue along the upper edge of the purple line. If you do the line too thick its pretty much stuffed so take your time and keep the brush wet.

gallery_69900_7944_1472709.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_3609278.jpg

So the final step is the same width of line with pallid whitch flesh over the top of the alaitoc blue. Dont cover the alaitoc blue entirely. Do a bit of the line whitch flesh, then leave a bit alaitoc blue and so on. Focus on where the forks meet especially. Once again take your time at this stage keep the brush wet.

gallery_69900_7944_2706560.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_1571034.jpg

And there it is a complete night lord waiting for his base to be icified and a matt varnish to stop me destroying him. Hope this was what you where after coldwinter.... now where are my bikes

:)

Very well you have kept your part of the deal (and I'm very impressed by this, I hope to make a example mini eventually), now I will mine. Come look by my thread around saturday, your local time or mine, and I will have at least a three man biker squad ready for deployment. This will be fun :rolleyes:, and great work as always brother, I can't wait to see how the Terminators will be in paint!

oh wow. great conversions and painting.

night lords were my first army, so my painting, while i think it looks pretty good, considernig, is incredibly basic. i personally really like the bat wing helms, tho i seem to do mine differently than most. i do the backs and bony bits in blue, but i love the versions i've seen that have varying shades of red for the whole wing, looks really cool.

these models make me so jealous! great use of forgeworld and loyalist bits to show the scrapping and salvaging, and i'm especially impressed by the way you paint the helms. i also like the bases, as i'm working on a sisters of battle army and want to base them in snow, and the simple snowy look does better than i imagined in my head. i've enjoyed these pictures and looking forward to more. ;)

may you die as you lived, brother.

in midnight clad.

Well brothers this morning i am going to show you my Forgefiend. I hate how when you put it together like the box says to it looks like something out of a dinotopia book so i decided to put my own spin on it.

gallery_69900_7944_1193954.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_4851316.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_5013224.jpg

Heres some close ups of the under/over hades autocannon

gallery_69900_7944_3300449.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_4750345.jpg

And our unfortunate loyalist friend. Will he get that grenade in the forgefiends mouth before he dies of blood loss. I hope not that things too expensive to go down to a lucky grenade.

gallery_69900_7944_1650089.jpg

Finally just a bit of the side detail

gallery_69900_7944_5224338.jpg

Hope you guys like it. Any dramas you guys see with it let me know so i can fix it.

Thanks much

I really like the Hades cannon, im not to sold on the pose, I like him upright but with his arm out in front like that I cant help think of the 'Grr Aargh' from the end credits of Buffy :o

Is there any way you can maybe turn its head slightly? As I have an awesome vision of that with its hand on a ruined wall looking to its left slightly as if spotting a target off in the distance. Just my 2p though as said its a vast improvent on the original.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh you guys are so right. Its good to get fresh eyes on it. We all think our own children are so wonderful till someone tells us otherwise. Ok so all taken on board ive redone the hand so its actually crushing the poor sod as you say coldwinter. Biohazard that would look very awesome but im pretty happy with the way this ones looking. maybe ill do another one with ectoplasma over under and use that pose. I have however dropped the arm cause your 100% right about the "grrrr". I looked at it after you said that and was like "that looks so lame". Anyways hope you guys approve of the changes

gallery_69900_7944_3061014.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_2435026.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_3930531.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_2539363.jpg

Thanks guys youve helped me make it better i think

Not much done today brothers but i do have one Plasma gunner ready to join the ranks of my night lords. I took my time with the blue green on the plasma cause this was sort of a test for my forgefiend. Im planning to keep the colours on the fiend cool so this should work well i think.

gallery_69900_7944_2442599.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_3067328.jpg

gallery_69900_7944_3007025.jpg

And as an update here are the night lords i have completed so far. My first half claw.

gallery_69900_7944_2478305.jpg

Hope you guys likey

Archived