IA: The Steel Vanguard (re-worked WIP)

Uaronain

Hey, fleet specifics! Haven't seen many of those around. I really like the look of these guys so far, quite unique. I personally am a big fan of the idea of chapters lacking whole organizations/specializations. When do we get to see the scheme?

When I read IAs, I personally try to replicate their structures and divergences from C:SM with other codices and how they'd be fielded in actual games, to clarify the source of my next questions.

Will this be a BT codex-using chapter? I ask b/c of the lack of librarians. Not terribly familiar with the BT codex, so if used, I'm curious which unit the Steel Brother takes since there is no unit that takes both techmarine and chaplain. Also, what will this chapter's response be toward encountering psykers?

Overall though, I like it. Has a strong purpose.

When I read IAs, I personally try to replicate their structures and divergences from C:SM with other codices and how they'd be fielded in actual games, to clarify the source of my next questions.

Will this be a BT codex-using chapter? I ask b/c of the lack of librarians. Not terribly familiar with the BT codex, so if used, I'm curious which unit the Steel Brother takes since there is no unit that takes both techmarine and chaplain. Also, what will this chapter's response be toward encountering psykers?

Overall though, I like it. Has a strong purpose.

Well I should change the title to reflect it uses C:SM, I am new to the forum as well, just saw a lot of IA: in front of the chapters and figured it was normal :D

The Steel Brother is a tech-marine that fills the spiritual role. Army wise I just wont be fielding Chaplins currently because of the fluff.

Psykers are avoided but tolerated if they are members of a chapter. Was going to add some story about the distrust of psykers because of how they use the warp with mutated genes.

Hey, fleet specifics! Haven't seen many of those around. I really like the look of these guys so far, quite unique. I personally am a big fan of the idea of chapters lacking whole organizations/specializations. When do we get to see the scheme?

By scheme do you mean color wise? If so then as soon as some of my figs come in the mail. I got the paint ready to go. I have not played for years " 4th edition" and have a BT army that I am going to preserve untill they get some love from GW. So I went out and got a copy of 6th edition and C:SM from my local shop and after some soul searching I wanted something different from my CC heavy BT and went for a iron handseqsue (i just made that a word) I wanted something not black though.... and different from what a lot of local players play... so I came up with the Steel Vanguard

Well I should change the title to reflect it uses C:SM, I am new to the forum as well, just saw a lot of IA: in front of the chapters and figured it was normal

No need. I seldom see people mention which codex they're gunna use til asked.. I make a game of it, trying to guess right. Guess I was wrong this time! :3

spacemarine.jpg

A shame there are not more bionics options, but you get the idea of colors, I WILL add the chapter symbol and painted figs as they are made ;)

What is the community feeling about a ship fortress monastery? I was thinking of using a converted Ark Mechanicus from the Explorator Fleet for fluff or a massively modified battle barge.

Awesome, looking great. As for the the monastery, nothing wrong with that at all. Many fleet based Chapters have converted a barge into their Monastery. As far as actually modifying one, I don't know, but if anyone could do it, it would be Iron Hands and the sons of the Gorgon.

To represent the heavy use and incorporation Ad mech type servitors I was thinking of doing custom/conversion work to make modals that represent Praetorian Servitors and would count as the legion of the damned. I was thinking of trying to use tracks and mechanical legs to represent the slow but purposeful special rule. Fluff wise it would be like having the honor of being entombed in a dreadnaught except dreads are very rare. Perhaps taking mortally wounded marines and turning them into a weapons platform again. Thoughts anyone?

Ok guys, thanks to green stuff, e-bay, games workshop, forgeworld and a handful of smaller bits companies from all over the world I have ordered a good start to my army. My goal is to get it to 1850 points sooner rather than later.

The colors will be a dark red with bronze trim. And for the symbol I was thinking about a bronze hand much like the iron hands. The shoulder pads will have a banded armor plating look with a raised hand on one side (in bronze) on a dark red plates. The other shoulder pad will have the same raised plated look as the other but with an Ad Mech cog instead.... also on dark red with the symbol being a bronze.

The marines themselves will have all sorts of bionics more so than most iron hands players I have seen! The heads will look very skull like (angels of death!) They will be in the same red as the armor with more highlighting and I am thinking blue or green eyes?

I am also looking at a more unique name so any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome!

I hope to have a marine assembled and painted as soon as all of my materials come in and will post one asap!

Please give more feedback on the chapter idea in general

A very nice looking chapter sofar, I like the idea behind creating the perfect recruits(as an idea, I would never practice it myself lol)

Something you should flesh out more is you're fleet. Because you're fleet based, which ship acts as you're fortress monastery? Do you ever recruit from worlds or do you only use the clones? Does that effect you're chapter beliefs?

Keep up the dedicaton

A very nice looking chapter sofar, I like the idea behind creating the perfect recruits(as an idea, I would never practice it myself lol)

Something you should flesh out more is you're fleet. Because you're fleet based, which ship acts as you're fortress monastery? Do you ever recruit from worlds or do you only use the clones? Does that effect you're chapter beliefs?

Keep up the dedicaton

I am working on that currently and trying to find just the right vessel to traverse the stars in. I am currently thinking of reclaiming a former Magos Explorators’ Ark or possibly a Hexathedral Assault Citadel.

For beliefs they are still a work in progress. I am trying to mold them into my vision of the perfect angel of death for the emperor/omnissiah.

This also includes cortex implants to heighten their intelligence and ability to consume and correlate large amounts of battlefield data.

I am also thinking of using the Rite of Pure Thought. As per the wiki this would free the marines of remaining human emotion turning them into work obsessed sociopaths; it the whole right side of the brain is made into a cogitator. Combining the centuries of experience gained by individual marines with cogitators to best use said experience.

The strengths of the geneseed improved with the blessings of the omnissiah in form of bionics; indeed bionics are seen as spiritually pure. They may not have the most individuality most likely the least for a typical marine but they know only duty and the skills needed to do said duty. I want them to seek out renegades or anyone considered heretics by the Ad Mech or inquisition for that matter and recover all sacred relics of the machine god and put to better use (their own) they are not a feel good chapter, they are a nuts and bolts chapter that helps hold the Imperium together.

Will have a big update for the IA entry on monday with more backstory and such. Right now I need some help with my army list. I would like some feedback on it before I fork out the cash for this army. I have several pieces in the mail that I have to customize. I dont want to put a lot of effort into a list that cant even win a leisure match. It is listed in the army lists int he space marine codex area.

I was going to spare you until there will be update to see what do you have up to sleeve. But if you want...

Glossary of Terms

Steel Brother --- Tech Priest/Chaplains of the Steel Vanguard

College of Steel Brothers --- Leadership of the Chapter Companies, includes Hospitallers

Steel Brotherhood --- General term for all members of the Steel Brothers and Hospitallers

- Does that mean your Chapter is lead by the Steel Brothers? If so why?

Origins

The Steel Vanguard was born in the 10th founding under the command of Iron Father Klantius from The Iron Hands.

- Iron Father is Chaplain-Techmarine. Why would be founding and command of new Chapter given to spiritual leader rather than Clan-Commander?

- 10th Founding was probably in M33.

After its creation the chapter was tasked with reclaiming forge worlds, shipyards, and other military assets within Ultima Segmentum reportedly near or in the Ghoul Stars during the Nova Terra Interregnum.

- SV Founding: 10th in M34. Beginning of the Nova Terra Interregnum: M35

Much of this information has been censored and little data is available.

The chapters first engagements and battle honors occur during the Pale Wasting with nothing noted in the chronicles. It was during this dark period that they first joined forces with the Novamarines and 10 other chapters to quell a threat in the Ultima Segmentum.

- Then why mention it? You should mention things which somehow, more or less, affects your Chapter.

Combat Doctrine

Combat Doctrine is not Astartes compliant...

- Yes, it is.

Organisation

- You follow the Codex organisation. Your forefathers, Iron Hands, do not. Why?

- Btw, where are scouts or neophytes or, you know newb's?

There are also no known Librarians.

- Why not?

Outside the Light of the Astronomican

- It looks like you are struck in place, where others enter and leave as they wish. :P

- The Moirae schism influenced even the Iron Hands, your Chapter?

Overall:

Hmmm. It's hard to say what is your intention(s) from the article. (It almost looks like you want to steal all the good eggs from the basket. :) Techno-lovers + bio-engineering your own recruits.) So I would suggest you to make a outline, nothing compicated, just state your intentions (Like Elias did with his Ghost Warriors). This way, I and others may offer you ideas and suggestions.

Btw, the colour-scheme:

Black and red are not cool and unique

Observe.

Of the twenty founding legions and thirty-four known Second Founding Chapters, we have color schemes for eighteen legions and twenty-eight of their successors (not counting Chaos chapters/warbands/what have you). This gives us a remarkable pool to draw from. Doing some simple calculations (assigning a quartered or halved scheme 50% of a color for each and giving 25%/75% of a color for shoulders and head being one color and the rest another, while silver is counted as grey), this gives us the following results (note that having multiple schemes means they all get counted):

12% of chapters are blue. 2% are purple (that's the Emperor's Children). 23% are red. None are orange. 6% are yellow. 14% are green. 18% are black. 7% are grey. 18% are white. None are brown, and 1% are pink (that's half the Emperor's Children post-heresy). Thus, from most common to least common: Red, black and white, green, blue, grey, yellow, purple, orange.

What does this show us? Red, black and white are inordinately popular colours when GW makes chapters (with red ridiculously common). A little looking around the forums will also show that black and red are inordinately popular colors among DIY chapter creators, too. I would honestly guess that at least a third of DIY chapters are black. Grey is also remarkably popular, though not nearly to the extent of black.

What this means is that red and black are poor choices for creating a memorable chapter scheme that stands out in the crowd of IAs in this forum. Use black or red, and your chapter will start to blend together with dozens of others in people's minds. This can be avoided through the use of other colors, different patterns or particularly interesting badges (though other colors is by far the easiest method). A scheme quartered between black and another color is far more memorable than a plain black one, and so is a red color scheme with a unique and interesting chapter badge and a bit of wargear. Making your color scheme interesting helps make your chapter interesting – especially on the tabletop, where reams of prose can't save them.

What he said.

~NightrawenII.

I dropped a lot of what I did plan to add today. I went back to the IA and edited it accordingly. Still a work in progress but I added more history behind the beliefs and will continue to edit and add.

As far as taking all of the good eggs from the basket with tech and genes you should see that I limit myself with no chappies, libbies or assault squads. Dont think of it as making the perfect warrior, but a by product of a self imposed exile centuries ago. It was how they adapted to isolation. I will re-work it to seem less "perfect" genes and more of a form of survival in the cold empty parts of space.

Help me out with a color scheme guys! I am sold on using bronze for trim but I need a color that would look good with it.

The name steel vanguard is a good one so a steel colour (some kind of silvery metallic) should be part of the colour scheme.

Silver shoulders with bronze trim and a red body? All over silver with bronze trim and details and a red logo?

-J-

Gentlemen tonight I assembled a single tactical space marine with a steel with bronze highlight color theme and I was not pleased at all with the results. I understand that black and red are used a lot by SW and DIYers and it is not unique. But may I please my case on the court of public opinion. I need a dark color to contrast the sheer amount of metallic bionics! Steel does not tend to blend very well with the bronze highlight I want. Here are a few images of the conversion bits I am using in my construction of the Steel Vanguard.

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/images/mxm_bits/bionicbits.jpg

Maxmini bionics bits

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2380811a_99800101091_IronhandsUpgradePack1_445x319.jpg

GW Iron Hands Kit

http://chapterhousestudios.com/image/cache/data/Cog%20Grey-500x500.jpg

Chapterhouse

http://chapterhousestudios.com/image/cache/data/IHPA%20Painted%20Grey-500x500.jpg

chapterhouse

http://chapterhousestudios.com/image/cache/data/SkullGreyb-500x500.jpg

Heads

I have a lot more custom kitbashing to do on my Master of the Forge, replacing his legs with tracks like you would find on a tank.... so yea kinda stuck on a color scheme that would work well.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/548659_10151301823454941_1225751955_n.jpg

rough first tac marine, less bionics. Steel/bronze theme. Needs highlights and detail work finished.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576348_10151301827164941_307219145_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/282138_10151301827414941_360048089_n.jpg

I am new to painting with metallic colors coming from a Black templar background, so please forgive my handiwork. This fig is also the first one I have painted in 7 years. I was looking for a worn steel/bronze/copper highlights look. At first I hated how it looked but after I got home from work today it seem more tolerable. He looks very grimdark. I still need to finish him as well but what do you all think of the colors? I am trying to avoid the overdone red chapter color but she is a foul temptress. What do you guys think?

Help me out with a color scheme guys! I am sold on using bronze for trim but I need a color that would look good with it.

Ooops, I missed this. :)

Please accept my apologies for neglecting the ancient and venerated duty of the Liber Heraldry Dept (which nobody else seems to do anymore, hint hint guys if you're reading this)

*Puts Liber Heraldry Dept. hat on*

So, avoiding black and using the painter's Dwarf bronze as trim.

Fenris Grey (looks blue to me, but the Wolves are colourblind)

sm.php?b62c=@hd0fp_hCmX3.hOIBr@@@@@@@hXbsb@_@@..@@@@@@@@@@@.@.@@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_iakk7&grid=TRUE

EDIT: Removed the un-needed paint jobs.

I was going to suggest a Mechrite Red one too, but that was kinda World-Eater-y. :P

Hopefully they help, but if not, give me a shout and I'll try something else. B)

Thanks for the suggestions Ace! I am going to run to the local shop this weekend and grab some of the paints I just dont have around the house and tinker. What did you think of the sample steel/bronze fig I threw together? I like how the world eaters look myself color wise but if I go that way I feel a man hunt would be called for using the color haha.

BTW Ace.... I read IA: The Sons of =I=DELETED=I= and the Steel Dragons and have to say I am impressed :P Where have you been recently? It looks like you took a year off from the Liber.

Archived