Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Wolves 13th Company Grand Army (updated 24th August)

Space Wolves 13th Company Dam13n

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,351 posts
Over the last 8 weeks I have been painting up a 2000pt Space Wolf Army. The aim was to make my own version of the 13th Company based upon a Great Company that got lost in the Maelstrom (rather than the traditional 13th company that chased the traitor legions into the Eye of Terror).

I therefore used a mixture of roughly 2:1 Space Wolf to Chaos Marine parts during assembly, which took, in all around 2 weeks of preparation, glueing and swearing.

I then painted them over 8 weeks, making sure to do them all to the same standard.

So, here are the results (I plan on adding pictures to this post as the army grows, which it, no doubt, will):

HQs - Rune Priest in Terminator Armour, The Wolf Lord's Champion (Castellan Crowe), Thunderwolf Lord, Guardian of the Lost (BA Reclusiarch) and Master of the Hunt (SM Bike Captain)
SpaceWolvesRunePriest.jpg
SpaceWolvesLordsChampion.jpg
SpaceWolvesThunderwolfLord.jpg
SpaceWolvesGuardianoftheLost_zpsd6f93b9a
SpaceWolvesMasteroftheHunt_zpsba5feba7.j

Elites - 2 units of Power Armoured Wolf Guard, 1 unit of Mixed Wolf Guard, Wolf Scouts and a Furioso/Ironclad Dreadnought
SpaceWolvesWolfGuard01_zps0f03b2fd.jpg
SpaceWolvesWolfGuardandScouts.jpg
SpaceWolvesFuriosoDreadnought.jpg

Troops - 3 units of Grey Slayers (Grey Hunters), 1 unit of Storm Claws (Purifiers) and 1 unit of Wulfen (Death Company)
SpaceWolvesGreySlayers01.jpg
SpaceWolvesGreySlayers02.jpg
SpaceWolvesGreySlayers03.jpg
SpaceWolvesStormClaws.jpg
SpaceWolvesWulfen01_zpsb3ee9f74.jpg

Fast Attack - Storm Raven, 2 units of Thunderwolf Cavalry, 1 unit of Skyclaws and 1 squadron of Swifthunters (SM Bike Squadron)
SpaceWolvesWIP06.jpg
SpaceWolvesStormRaven02.jpg
SpaceWolvesThunderwolfCavalry01.jpg
SpaceWolvesThunderwolfCavalry02.jpg
SpaceWolvesSkyclaws01_zps1453c3f1.jpg
SpaceWolvesSwifthunters01_zps9d678a37.jp

Heavy Support - 3 units of Long Fangs with Missile Launchers, Wolfknight
SpaceWolvesLongFangs.jpg
SpaceWolvesWolfknight01_zpsa293dc7b.jpg

Fortifications - Bastion, Aegis Defense Line and Icarus Lascannon
BastionandAegisDefenseLine.jpg

Comments and Criticism Welcome.

Edited by Dam13n, 24 August 2014 - 10:08 AM.

ephrael

ephrael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,169 posts
These look amazing. I have always preferred the dark grey armor on the wolves over the blue of the studio armies and yours looks fantastic. I also like the addition of the FW missile launchers, a very nice detail that breaks up an otherwise monotonous squad of the same armament. Your pack markings look nice and crisp as well. Very impressive force all around.
Only in Death Does Duty End.
7yDZSpb.jpg
Are you interested in owning the best looking Marines Malevolent army ever built? I’m reluctantly selling the army that Hyaenidae converted and painted. The money is for medical bills and my children’s Christmas presents. Pictures in my gallery and a link: https://rover.ebay.c...m/122867163818. Please message me for info and thanks for looking.

Firepower

Firepower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,341 posts
All that...in 8 weeks.

People around here...sometimes...I swear. There's dark magic at work in these forums. :)

Awesome work. But those Assault Cannons...a bit much, maybe? ;)

Edited by Firepower, 08 December 2012 - 05:03 PM.

Suffer not the xeno psyker kitten, as to it the souls of man are but balls of yarn and jingly amusements!
Brother Chaplain Kage: "I don't think anything makes Firepower happy."
gallery_38474_6916_27314.jpggallery_38474_6916_19616.jpgBT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.gifgallery_38474_6916_5384.jpggallery_29004_6198_9307.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.pnggallery_38474_6917_1744.pnggallery_38474_6916_16905.png
Templars a la Firepower -- IA: Broken Arrows -- Broken Arrows WIP Blog -- My Crummy Sketches

Vourne

Vourne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
They are fabulous! I love the subtle elements of the warp creeping in. Even more impressive that you did all that in 2 months. Top marks.

"He's mad. He's mad! He's madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last year's Mr Madman competition".

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,885 posts
I really like your painting style. It looks great applied on an army-wide basis. Keep it up, dude! :unsure:

+++The Host of Anguish+++

gallery_25301_10678_6786.jpg

+++In Memoriam: The Day the Palace Fell+++

+General Thread+ 

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Red Skullz

Red Skullz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 919 posts
Fantastic job brother! Great to see someone else tackle the lost wolves :P

R
I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,351 posts

Thanks guys.

Now added Bastion, Aegis Defense Line and an Icarus Lascannon which I finished this morning (after starting to paint them on friday). After all, no 6th edition army is complete without something to hide in/behind :P .

I do have a Thunderwolf Lord and 8 Thunderwolves to add at some point, just because I already have and like the models. I also have plans for a unit of Wulfen (Death Company), a Furioso Dreadnought, 10 Skyclaws and 10 Swiftclaws, which I will do at a more relaxed pace (seeing as I now have a table worthy gaming army to use).

I did originally plan on doing some fantasy once this army was done, but I can't decide on an army (Pretty much every unit I like gameplay-wise, I dislike model-wise. Really frustrating!!) so, more Space Wolves it'll have to be... :P

Laterz...

Edited by Dam13n, 24 January 2015 - 10:19 AM.

AlexCrute

AlexCrute

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,104 posts
There is not a single aspect of that army that sucks. Except this part:

Distance from Melbourne to Poole is:
10553.6 Miles
( 16984.4 Kilometers / 9164.7 Nautical Miles )
Approximate flight duration time from Melbourne to Poole is 21 hrs, 55 mins

Ah well. At least I have you, Internet.

Kudos, bravo, mad props, jai ho etc.

I think I need to ally my Imperial Fists with some Imperial (Grey Knight) Fists...
Grimdarkilitude: an evolving term and its definition
  • Discriminating taste in bits and kits
  • Conversions kept strictly to theme, not for conversions sake
  • Thoughtful assembly and posing
  • Consistency of tone and quality maintained across entire force
  • Paint scheme/recipe selected to yield good results in light of hobbyist's skill level. Doing what works.
  • Special techniques (such as chipping, weathering, NMM, OSL, freehand, detailed bases etc) applied in support of general theme, not as a focus
  • Background referenced and honoured continually throughout modelling process
My workbench, My cabinet of honour

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,351 posts
Update in post 1:

Furioso/Ironclad Dreadnought - started painting this on Sunday. The plan is to do a "Blood Angels" allied contingent at some point and this had to be part of it. Plus, it works as an Ironclad too in case I decide to add a "Vanilla" detachment at some point in the future.

Laterz...

AlexCrute

AlexCrute

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,104 posts
So, you like having your cake and eating it too? I'm a bit the same way. Marvellous work.
Grimdarkilitude: an evolving term and its definition
  • Discriminating taste in bits and kits
  • Conversions kept strictly to theme, not for conversions sake
  • Thoughtful assembly and posing
  • Consistency of tone and quality maintained across entire force
  • Paint scheme/recipe selected to yield good results in light of hobbyist's skill level. Doing what works.
  • Special techniques (such as chipping, weathering, NMM, OSL, freehand, detailed bases etc) applied in support of general theme, not as a focus
  • Background referenced and honoured continually throughout modelling process
My workbench, My cabinet of honour

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,351 posts
Update in post #1 - Thunderwolf Cavalry

The first unit of 4 Thunderwolf Cavalry, I do plan on doing a second with two-tone brown fur and a Lord on a white wolf over next week. The joy of my local LGS doing weekly hobby oaths. I just can't resist a challenge... :D

Laterz...

Captain Semper

Captain Semper

++ PROVOCATOR NAVUS ++

• ++ CUSTODE ++
  • 14,104 posts
This is exactly how I think the SWs should look! Ciongratulations Dam13n - it's a fantastic army!

Schultzhoffen

Schultzhoffen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 829 posts
Outstanding work. The army has loads of character with an excellent mix of a number of different kits.

Edited by Schultzhoffen, 18 December 2012 - 07:44 AM.

"For Calth."

Renoster

Renoster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 91 posts
They are immense. I love the lighter edges helping to define the model. Something I must learn to do. Bravo sir.

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,351 posts
Thanks muchly for the responses...

Update in post #1 - Thunderwolf Lord and the 2nd unit of 4 Thunderwolf Cavalry.

I'm now running close to 2750pts. I feel that this army is likely to get out of hand if I don't slow down :mellow: .

Still I would like to get 10 Wulfen (counts-as Death Company) with a Guardian of the Lost (Reclusiarch) to round out the
Blood Angels allies (and make the Furioso legal), 10 Sky Claws, 2 units of 5 Swift Guard (counts-as Vanilla Bike Squads)
with a Lord of the Hunt (Captain on Bike) and some Alpha-Strike Wolf Guard units (6 strong with combi-weapons in Drop
Pods)... so fat chance of me slowing down anytime soon... :)

Any further comments/critiques are still welcome.

pingo

pingo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,666 posts
I like your creative and thematic use of bits and your painting is good too. A very nice army :D

Valerian

Valerian

++ EQUITES ALATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,243 posts
Exceptional work on your Space Wolves army. In particular, I love how you stuck to the Lost Company theme, and integrated your Grey Knights detachment into the theme perfectly. My favorites are your version of the Castellan Crowe, and the Purifiers with the Psycannons, those look boss with the Assault Cannon mods.

Terrific!

Valerian

Loketh

Loketh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 177 posts
Absolutely incredible. I've always hated baby blue space wolves (mine are almost white), and I love that dark slate gray that you managed to pull off. Goes really well with the yellow, and the models are super clean.

The wolves are at your door...

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,351 posts
Thanks guys. I'm taking a break at the moment for Xmas.
I'll be getting the next batch of boxes in a couple of days
ready to break the 3k barrier in the new year.

Laterz...

irwit

irwit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,391 posts
Army looks great! Do you mind sharing what colours you used for the armour? As has been said already it looks much nicer than the eavy metal style.

Feel free to visit my blog

gallery_65482_7785_207.png

Thanks

Zagar

Zagar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts
Heya.
I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed. I collect wolves myself. And I have had ideas along the same lines as you, csm+wolves but have been very very hesitant about executing them. But after seeing your stunning models. I must say that come january, my company is getting expanded! :D
I am however not that keen on the dark colour of the armour, I am more of a light-blue-kinda guy. But to everyone his own :) Once again, I must say that I am impressed and keep up the good work!

Regards Zagar

p.s. Happy new year!

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,351 posts
Sure, it's a drybrush technique:
- base coat charadon granite
- drybrush adeptus battle grey
- drybrush codex grey
- drybrush fortress grey
- drybrush 50:50 ice blue and dheneb stone
- wash with agrax earth shade
- while still wet, wash into recesses with scorched brown
- repeat drybrush with the ice blue/dheneb stone mix
- glaze with thinned asurmen blue

It is a mix of old and new paints, but I wanted to use up
some old paints rather than throw them away or let them
dry out.

Laterz...

nestor73

nestor73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

Fang-tastic! rolleyes.gif  sorry, couldn't resist no.gif  excellent looking army, you've done  a wonderful job there, I had a Space Wolves army back in 4th Ed but sold them. Hadn;t really given them much thought till I saw your lot and I'm seriously jealous (in a good way, naturally) of you and sorely tempted to restart a Space Wolves Army. Especially as no one at my local club plays them no.gif keep up the good work

EOL

EOL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

Realy great army man !

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,351 posts

Ooh, Threadomancy...

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.  I do have more in progress, however recent changes to the way my local GW is run have put a slight dampener on my progress (we now have to book slots at the painting table, and are required to move along after 2 hours.  This sucks censored.gif as it was the best place for me to paint distraction free(ish)) Plus, my mates have got me into Dystopian Wars... damn them tongue.png

Laterz...

Edited by Dam13n, 15 May 2014 - 06:26 PM.