Space Wolves 13th Company Grand Army (updated 24th August)

Dam13n

Update in post #1 - Wolfknight Assault Walker

Grey Knights Allies now virtually complete, may add a Venerable Psyrifleman and a unit of Terminators at some point (So I'll have maxed out the allies chart - 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops, 1 Fast Attack and 1 Heavy Support.)

I should get round to basing my:

- Master of the Hunt (Bike Captain)

- PA Reclusiarch

- 10 Wulfen (Death Company)

- 5 Swifthunters with Combi-melta and 2 Meltaguns (Vanilla Bike Squadron)

- 10 Skyclaws

in the next couple of weeks.

Though I still have loads to do:

- 2x5 PA Wolf Guard with Combi-plasmas (now complete - pics in post #1)

- 2 TA Wolf Priests with Combi-plasmas (started)

- 2 PA Wolf Priests with Combi-plasmas (undercoated)

- Lone Wolf with SS and Chainfist (started)

- 2 TA Wolf Guard with Chainfists and Wolf Claws (started)

- 2 TA Wolf Guard with Heavy Flamers and Wolf Claws (started)

- 1 TA Wolf Guard with Stormbolter, Sword and Cyclone (started)

- 5 Wolf Scouts with 4 Sniper Rifles and 1 Heavy Bolter (base coated)

- 5 Swifthunters with Combi-plasma and 2 Plasma Guns (undercoated)

- 2 Swifthunter Attack Bikes with Multi-meltas (base coated)

- 1 Land Speeder with Dual Heavy Flamers (started and based)

- 1 Land Speeder Storm (base coated)

- 1 Multi-purpose Flyer (using the Nephilim, can be armed as a Vendetta or a Storm Talon) (base coated)

- 2 Drop Pods (started)

- 1 Ironclad Dreadnought with Seismic Hammer (base coated)

Even then I won't be done... There are just too many possibilities... Damn Allies Rules!!!

(Plus Mechanising them and adding Super-Heavies for apocalypse)

Edit - updated progress

Big update in post #1:

Master of the Hunt (SM Bike Captain) with Artificer Armour, Storm Shield and Power Fist

Guardian of the Lost (BA Reclusiarch) with Standard Wargear

10 Wulfen (Death Company) on foot with 2 Power Fists

10 Skyclaws with Power Fist, Flamer and Mark of the Wulfen

5 Swifthunters (SM Bike Squadron) with Combi-melta and 2 Meltaguns

Laterz...

• 3 weeks later...

Styrofoam:

White Hair (old paints I'm afraid) - Dheneb Stone, Washed with Sepia, Highlighted with Stone then White

Faces (old and very old paints) - Tanned Flesh, Washed with Flesh Wash, Layered with Dwarf Flesh (avoiding recesses), Highlighted with Elf Flesh, Eyes and teeth picked out with white, then pupils with black, lower eyelids touched up with Elf Flesh, finally Eye Sockets (under Brows) touched up with Dark Flesh.

Scalp Stubble - (over Dwarf Flesh) with thinned Dheneb Stone.

Done - the key was quick and simple, but effective.  I needed character and contrast with the minimum effort - after all, they're an army to be played with - not a display piece.

- - - - - -

Update - the Wolf Guard Squads just need the Gold and Details doing, then Basing and they'll be done.  I've then got 2 Drop Pods and a Land Speeder as a change of pace before finishing the load of Characters and Terminators I've got.  (See the mahooooosive models pending list above for the scale of my folly...)

I am slowing quite badly now - work commitments and the changes to my local GWS have hit this project pretty hard.  Still, I'm over 4500pts completed so far, and have won every game I've played with them... Cheesy Wolves FTW!

Thanks alot, I gotta try these recipes

Old paints, lol! I guess my paints are old too.

I get some pretty slow periods as well, some lasting a half a year.

What list are you playing?

My "Huron's Wolves" do alot better then my Chaos "Red Corsairs". I dont see SW as cheesy, but they are very Balanced.

Base list is:

Rune Priest - TA, CotS

3 WG in TA - 2 Combi-meltas (Pack Leaders)

10 GH - 2 Meltas, MotW, Banner

10 GH - 2 Meltas, MotW, Banner

10 GH - 2 Plasmas, MotW, Banner

6 LF - 5 Missiles

6 LF - 5 Missiles

6 LF - 5 Missiles 

ADL - Icarus

I then add whatever I fancy using to make up the points.

My last game against Eldar (won 6-0 on VPs) I used:

SM Allies:

Captain - Bike, AA, SS, PF
Ironclad - HF, Assault Launcher
5 Bikes - Combi-melta, 2 Meltas
Stormraven - TLMM, TLAC

Total - 2000pts

I've also used:

GK Allies:

Crowe
10 Purifiers - 1 Hammer, 5 Halberds, 4 Psycannons
Stormraven - TLMM, TLAC, Hurricane Bolters, Psybolt Ammo

I'm looking forward to trying soon:

BA Allies:

Reclusiarch
Furioso - Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer
10 Death Company - 2 Power Fists
Storm Raven - TLMM, TLAC

I usually have a few little adjustments to make, but that's pretty simple to do.

I have to say, the Bikes are great - they add some much needed speed to what can be a pretty static list, and they score in every mission to boot. 
Although the Purifiers are just dirty - 16 S7 AP4 Rending shots a turn is just brutal against pretty much everything.  Especially when combined with 15 Missiles a turn.

It's just a shame that I'm limited to one allied codex per army, otherwise I'd be tempted to double detachment and try squeeze both the Purifiers and Bikes into one list, with my Wolves as well... Filth!

• 2 weeks later...

Update in post #1

2 units of 5 Wolf Guard with Combi-plasmas

I've also started the 2 Drop Pods... I have to say, I'm thinking I may regret my plan to have 5 of them... But then again the truly filthy drop pod list I have planned should be worth the pain of painting these fiddly models by hand.

Still at least there's no hair or fur on them (as I've been highlighting each strand individually) so I don't have to worry about that. smile.png

That's a good idea for combiplasmas.  I've spent ages trying to come up with a good solution for mass combiplasmas and have been worrying too much about how to include the plasma coils onto the bolter.   Cant believe I didn't just think to NOT include it and carry on painting  :)

You can't see it on the pics but I've done a plasma-glow effect in between the wolf skulls on the combi-plasmas based off the Storm Bolter on the PA sprue.

Seeing as they're one-shot weapons, I can't see that the heat build up would require the same level of cooling that a regular plasma weapon would need.

I did consider carving a chunk out of the top of the other storm-bolters and sculpting some coils, but just couldn't be bothered.  It seemed like too much effort for something that would probably end up looking a bit naff.

Still, I like them how they are... nuff-said.  :P

You can't see it on the pics but I've done a plasma-glow effect in between the wolf skulls on the combi-plasmas based off the Storm Bolter on the PA sprue.

Seeing as they're one-shot weapons, I can't see that the heat build up would require the same level of cooling that a regular plasma weapon would need.

I did consider carving a chunk out of the top of the other storm-bolters and sculpting some coils, but just couldn't be bothered. It seemed like too much effort for something that would probably end up looking a bit naff.

Still, I like them how they are... nuff-said. tongue.png

I like them too! Ive gone for the plasma coil thing and it kind of takes over the mini and the unit. All that glowing blue on one unit is a lot. Your method they are still space wolves that look cool. Will remember this idea if I ever revisit :)

• 1 year later...

Necro...

With Stormclaw released (and a load more Wolves on my plate) I'm going to try and use it as an excuse to expand this army even more...

At this point this is what I have that's table-worthy:

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/b17rider/SpaceWolvesArmyRoster_zps6bd3ea53.jpg

And this is the WIP list:

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/b17rider/SpaceWolvesArmyRosterWIP_zps2a9c98c5.jpg

New Additions:

HQ - Halldir Winterfang and Beoric Ironaxe, 2 Wolf Priests in Terminator Armour. Darkin Beastslayer, Wolf Lord's Protector
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/b17rider/SpaceWolvesWolfPriests01_zps05dcacab.jpg
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/b17rider/SpaceWolvesLoneWolf01_zps85fdfd87.jpg

Elites - The Brotherhood of the Wolf, Assorted Wolf Guard Terminators.
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/b17rider/SpaceWolvesWolfGuard02_zps7b6b5769.jpg

Troops - The Deathbringers, 5 Swifthunter Bikers with Combi-plasma and 2 Plasma Guns
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/b17rider/SpaceWolvesSwifthunters02_zps0e70e067.jpg

Fast Attack - The Burning Hawk, Infernus Pattern Land Speeder (2 Heavy Flamers). The Mountain Crackers, 2 Attack Bikes with Multi-meltas
http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05-31%2014.00.18_zps6vnlsl0q.jpg
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/b17rider/SpaceWolvesSwifthunterAttackBikes01_zps30a85b83.jpg

As always, comments and critiques welcome...

(Rather than clutter up the first post any more... this second phase expansion will be contained to this post.)

Very cool.  I really like the drybrushed highlights...at least I think they're drybrushed.  Not 100% sure.  But either way, very smooth and 'dull.' in a good way.  The same goes for the subtle color transitions of gray to browns/red-browns all across the front and other spots.

Unfortunately, just because it's in the foreground, I can't take my eye off the half-skinned mold line on the gunners arm, and the fuel canister of the multimelta.

Update in post #38

New additions:

HQ - 2 Wolf Priests in Terminator Armour with Combi-plasmas

Elite - Lone Wolf in Terminator Armour with Chainfist and Storm Shield

Elite - 5 Wolf Guard Terminators

Note - the Wolf Guard are a mixture of Pack Leaders (Fisti-claws) and Alternate Heavy Weapons for current / future full squads.

Elite - Lone Wolf in Terminator Armour with Chainfist and Storm Shield

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that setup is no longer valid in the new Codex. Both the chainfist and the storm shield replace the same weapon, so you can't carry both anymore.

I know. Got the codex today. I assembled him quite a while ago. So it's not like I could have known at that time.

It doesn't bother me, he'll just count-as having a TH and SS instead.

Edit: On second thought, he could be used as a Terminator Captain with Chainfist and Shield Eternal.

That'll do nicely.

Edit #2: Army roster and WIP list updated in post #38. I've broken 5000pts... woot.gif 2500 more to go...

• 2 weeks later...

Update in post #38:

New additions, completed today.

Troops - 5 Swifthunter Bikers with Combi-plasma and 2 Plasma Guns (White Scars Bike Squad)

Fast Attack - 2 Swifthunter Attack Bikes with Multi-meltas (White Scars Attack Bikes)

... and that's enough bikes for a while.  Currently on the table are 3 Grav Centurions (which I will need to add to the WIP list), which will be followed by an Ironclad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived