Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Wolves Tournament List

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

PensacolaWarhammer

PensacolaWarhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts
I'm attend my first tournament, and wondering if I can get some final suggestions about my list. I'm tossed between two list. You can follow the full story about the tournament and the list at my blog: Pensacola Warhammer

List 1

HQ: 4 Rune Priests with Chooser of the Slain and Melta Bombs 1 in Terminator Armor with Wolftooth Necklace, Master of Runes, and Saga of the Beastslayer

Troops: 3 Ten man Grey Hunter squads with Mark of the Wulfen, Banner, and 2 Plasma Guns. All in Rhinos

Elites: 8 man Wolf Guard Squad in Power Armor with Combi-weapons, 3 Power Weapons, and 3 Melta Bombs in a Drop Pod

Heavy Support: 3 Six man Long Fang squads with Missile Launchers

The idea is that three of the four Rune Priest would sit back with the Long Fang squads and cast Prescense while the fourth, who would have the Space Wolves powers, would go in the Drop Pod with the Wolf Guard. The drop pod would drop in mid-field or where ever I needed it and act similar to a Sternguard squad. This would give me four 24" bubbles of psychic defence as well as. Not to mention the Rune Priest in the drop pod would be well in range to fire off his powers. Rhinos would move forward to claim objectives.

List 2

HQ 3 Rune Priests with Chooser of the Slain and Melta Bombs

Troops: 3 Ten man Grey Hunter squads with Mark of the Wulfen, Banner, and 2 Plasma Guns. All in Rhinos

Elites: 8 man Wolf Guard Squad in Power Armor with Combi-weapons, 6 Power Weapons, 3 Melta Bombs, and Arjac in a Drop Pod

Heavy Support: 3 Six man Long Fang squads with Missile Launchers

Similar to the previous list, but this time Arjac is in the drop pod. The Wolf Guard are built to be a bit more close combat based. Again, the drop pod would drop either in the mid-field or near a unit I want destroyed. The combined shooting of the Wolf Guard and Arjac's hammer throw would kill most units along with vehicles. If they are assault, it's not too much of an issue as I have a good chance of getting the Counter-Attack, and some poor character has to fight Arjac.

I've play tested the core parts of both these lists to death, and can say with a certain level of confidence that it is solid and good. I just need to decide between a fourth Rune Priest or Arjac.

Edited by PensacolaWarhammer, 17 December 2012 - 09:52 PM.

dswanick

dswanick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,188 posts
  • Chapter Name: Legio XI
Well, you can't have three identical Rune Priests...
QUOTE (Loki-LaughingDeath @ Feb 11 2011, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love Tau in CC, it's like clubbing baby seals, only tau are neither cute nor fluffy or protected by the Maritime Mammal Act..... so it's perfectly legal and the Sierra Club ASPCA nuts won't come looking for you!

QUOTE (-Max- @ Aug 1 2011, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the regular Guardsman you've got Commissars holding guns to their backs. They're faithful in their own way, sometimes mightily so, but they are regular folks who've led regular lives, with the completely understandable desire to continue living that causes them to duck when they get shot at. Sisters are orphans raised in perpetual Sunday school, fanatical to the point that they look at Repentia and feel a twinge of jealousy that those girls will see the Emperor sooner than they will.

PensacolaWarhammer

PensacolaWarhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts
@dswanick

Even if the three Rune Priest take the Divination discipline? They still will have different powers as I have to roll of each one.

dswanick

dswanick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,188 posts

@dswanick

Even if the three Rune Priest take the Divination discipline? They still will have different powers as I have to roll of each one.

But that's only one of the checks that "The Leaders of the Pack" rule requires. Each character must also have different Sagas (barring named characters), and different wargear.
So your three Rune Priests must have different wargear selections(which you don't) as well as different Psychic Powers(which you have).
I love Tau in CC, it's like clubbing baby seals, only tau are neither cute nor fluffy or protected by the Maritime Mammal Act..... so it's perfectly legal and the Sierra Club ASPCA nuts won't come looking for you!

For the regular Guardsman you've got Commissars holding guns to their backs. They're faithful in their own way, sometimes mightily so, but they are regular folks who've led regular lives, with the completely understandable desire to continue living that causes them to duck when they get shot at. Sisters are orphans raised in perpetual Sunday school, fanatical to the point that they look at Repentia and feel a twinge of jealousy that those girls will see the Emperor sooner than they will.

PensacolaWarhammer

PensacolaWarhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts
@dswanick

As the rule is written, it says that they cannot have the same psychic power OR wargear not AND. With that, each Rune Priest does have different psychic powers making them different with similar wargear.

Xerxes Greyhell

Xerxes Greyhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
The psychic powers count as part of their wargear,but i would recommend giving the PA Rune Priests diffrent runic weapons. Therefore their wargear IS diffrent in case its not enough for some people,i had the same issue and this solved any complaints

"You call yourselves true warriors,with your palaces and fountains,your medals and parades? I grasped my first axe when i was still in my birth-caul. I earned my first wolfskin when i was still a whelp. I've been fighting every single day of my life son,Perhaps your todays challenge,eh?" 

23.jpg

dswanick

dswanick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,188 posts

@dswanick

As the rule is written, it says that they cannot have the same psychic power OR wargear not AND. With that, each Rune Priest does have different psychic powers making them different with similar wargear.

Codex: Space Wolves FAQ, v1.1

"Page 81 – Space Wolves Army List, Leaders of the Pack.
Change the second sentence of the second paragraph to read β€œTo represent this, no two Independent Characters may bear the same saga, nor may they bear the same psychic powers or
wargear combination.”

Q: Can you clarify how The Leaders of the Pack works exactly? (p81)
A: The rules for selecting Sagas are detailed on page 64. As for wargear, no two HQ characters, including Special Characters, may have the exact same wargear and Weapons, even if they
are different HQ units. Note that Fenrisian Wolves bought as wargear are included in this check, so if you had two otherwise identical Wolf Guard Battle Leaders, save that one has one
Fenrisian Wolf and the other has two, then you are technically obeying this rule just fine. For the record, the intent of the rule is that you should field characterful and diverse heroes in your
army, not identical clones with but an extra melta bomb to set them apart. Though we cannot really enforce players to embrace this attitude, the Codex does try to encourage it
wherever possible.

Q: Can you clarify how The Leaders of the Pack works with regards to psychic powers? (p81)
A: No number of Rune Priests may share the exact same two psychic powers. For example, a Rune Priest may choose to take Living Lightning and Thunderclap. A second Rune Priest may
then choose to take Living Lighting and Jaws of the World Wolf, as he will not have the same two psychic powers as the first Rune Priest. Note that the restriction on weapons and
wargear still applies, so you have to have each Rune Priest with a unique wargear selection
. Also note that Njal Stormcaller knows all seven powers rather than just two, so no other Rune
Priest can end up having the same powers. Thus it is permitted to take Njal Stormcaller alongside other Rune Priests. If you choose instead to take psychic powers from the disciplines in
the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, this restriction does not apply, as the specific powers are selected randomly.

As you can see from the FAQ answers - your logic is flawed. An 'or' statement is true if either condition is true, thus:
(Wargear = different) or (Psychic Powers = different) = different
(Wargear = same) or (Psychic Powers = different) = same
(Wargear = different) or (Psychic Powers = same) = same
(Wargear = same) or (Psychic Powers = same) = same

Edited by dswanick, 18 December 2012 - 02:16 AM.

Xerxes Greyhell

Xerxes Greyhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
either way ive never been busted for it in gaming sessions or tournements,alot of people don't follow the FAQ to the letter,but again,if out of all the PA rune priests,one could have a runic sword,staff,or axe. Once again i point out that it is a loophole in the FAQ

"You call yourselves true warriors,with your palaces and fountains,your medals and parades? I grasped my first axe when i was still in my birth-caul. I earned my first wolfskin when i was still a whelp. I've been fighting every single day of my life son,Perhaps your todays challenge,eh?" 

23.jpg

dswanick

dswanick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,188 posts

either way ive never been busted for it in gaming sessions or tournements,alot of people don't follow the FAQ to the letter,but again,if out of all the PA rune priests,one could have a runic sword,staff,or axe. Once again i point out that it is a loophole in the FAQ

Well, if you're comfortable cheating because you've gotten away with it... :) And then we wonder why people call our codex "O.P."...

As an aside : All Rune Priests have a Runic Weapon, an unusual Force Weapon. You actually have to have different wargear.

Edited by dswanick, 18 December 2012 - 09:09 AM.

Brom MKIV

Brom MKIV

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,175 posts
Dswanick is correct but this is easily solved by giving one a bolt pistol, another a boltgun, another the chooser and so on. That being said 3 and especially 4 rune priests is overkill man, personally id stick to 2 max and get more bodies like a couple terminator wgpl's with cyclones for those long fangs. If your gonna put priests with this long fangs you should really max their missiles to 7 where ever possible. Also one chooser is sufficient for an army while wtn and beastslayer aren't very good on rune priests. I would apply these suggestions to list 2.

Edited by Brom MKIV, 18 December 2012 - 01:54 PM.

..All Space Marine legions and chapters, loyal and traitor, cast a shadow that resembles the Dark Angels.
-FerociousBeast

The only reason that Bjorn is in a dreadnought is that he fought Chuck Norris and won but the backlash of that much awesome mortally wounded him.....
-Emptyedens

PensacolaWarhammer

PensacolaWarhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts
@Brom MKIV
I will agree the having 4 Rune Priests is overkill, but the rules of the tournament so far is that you're locked into a Disicpline or Codex Powers all day. I would like to have 2 Rune Priest with Divination and 2 Rune Priests with Space Wolves powers. Along with with that I would have four 24" bubbles of strong psychic defense, and with four Choosers I pretty much lock down the board on any infiltration or outflanking.

The core of my list I've play tested to death, and it had just two Rune Priest, and it was very good. Now my problem is trying to figure out what to do with the remaining points. I'm at the point where juggling between adding bells and whistle here or adding bells and whistles over there.

After careful consideration, if I take 4 Rune Priest I would not put one of them in the drop pod with the Wolf Guard, and probably would drop a power weapon if not all of them in that squad. War gear for the Rune Priest would be striped down and would depend on what I felt like taking and what points I had left. However, I would still try to have at least 3 Choosers.

The same would hold for the second list. The Wolf Guard would be striped down to a power weapon, if any, and a Melta bomb. However, I'm tossed with this list as I think this unit would either be blown away with shooting or not see close combat.

It really is getting to the point where I may just take something that I want to play for the fun of it like Thunder Wolves, Lone Wolves, or more Wolf Guard.

Brom MKIV

Brom MKIV

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,175 posts
I see your reasoning on the priests and choosers but sometimes even 2 priests have been one too many for me, I can only imagine 4, especially if you encounter enemy rune priests which seems likely, or eldar, or gks etc.
In your case I see you want to boost the long fang units power so I would focus on maxing the missiles on two squads and just put 2 rune priests with them, I think your milage will be greater this way. In fact your already taking 8 wolf guard with no heavies so its super easy to fit in 2 terminator wolf guard with cyclones for a little more than the cost of one priest and those WG will really boost the long fangs output and survivibility when assaulted, or against ap3 like baleflamers, especially when joined by a priest in runic too. I run one unit like this and its great, two even better.

Regarding the choosers, consider that a single chooser commands a 36" radius (plus approximately 1" for the size of the chooser). This is sufficient to deny half the entire board barring enemy DZ. Two choosers denies everything while 3 is a waste. Lastly choosers only prevent infiltrate, not outflank or scout. Just some things to consider.
..All Space Marine legions and chapters, loyal and traitor, cast a shadow that resembles the Dark Angels.
-FerociousBeast

The only reason that Bjorn is in a dreadnought is that he fought Chuck Norris and won but the backlash of that much awesome mortally wounded him.....
-Emptyedens

PensacolaWarhammer

PensacolaWarhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts
@Brom MKIV

I like your suggestion about Wolf Guard Terminators, which is one of the final lists. If I take Arjac, then I'll get a small squad of Grey Hunters to attach to the last Rune Priest and keep them in the back with the Long Fangs. If I don't take Arjac, then I'll put one of the three Rune Priests in terminator armor, and take a 5 man squad of Wolf Guard terminators. I'm still leaning towards Arjac as he's my "fun" pick. I generally try to throw something into my lists just for purpose of having fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users