Angron Unleashed

Cmdr Shepard

Greetings fellow Legionaries!

I recently received my Angron miniature and I'd like to build an army around him. This is the list I'm thinking about. I tried to "keep it simple" and field a decent number of models. Let me know what do you think. I have still 300 pts available.

LORD OF WAR

Angron

HQ

Primus Medicae

TROOPS

Legion Tactical Squad

Legion Vexilla [Note: I plan to expand this unit's model count with the remaining points]

Legion Tactical Squad

Dedicated Transport: Rhino with Dozer Blade

ELITE

Rampager Squad (7 men unit)

Champion with Power weapon and Artificier armour, 3 Caedere Weapons

Didicated Trasnport:

Land Raider Phobos with Armoured Ceramite and Dozer Blade

HEAVY SUPPORT

Legion Heavy Support Squad

10 Autocannons

FORTIFICATIONS

Aegis wth Icarus.

As I said I have still 300 pts available. I could add another Legion Tac squad with Rhino; add more models to the first tac and combi-meltas to the Tac sergeants. Or I could field some Legion Support unit.

What do you suggest?

Anyway this is my plan of battle.

Angron and Primus Medicae join Rampagers inside Phobos dedicated transport. The LR redeploy due to rampagers' scouts USR. Since Scouts redployment does not prevent 1st Turn charge as Infiltrate does the vehicle could move 6", disembark unit with 6" and they can charge 2d6". If there aren't enemies within range they should be able to charge on turn 2.

Heavy Support squad provides long range fire support (as their name suggests :) ) with 20 S7 shots per turn; while the first Tac sqaud operate the Icarus; holding a nearby objective.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Sadly you can't move a vehicle then assault from it in 6th ed so you are looking at a second turn charge at the earliest. I do think that you have the right setup for Angron, though I would be tempted to upgrade the Land Raider Phobos to a Spartan for 40pts (bit more of a jump money wise though).

How sold are you on the Aegis? It doesn't feel very World Eatery.

Do yo think you would be using this list mainly against other legion lists? I ask because although the ten man autocannon team looks fairly scary, I have always been put off by the ap4.

How to spend extra points? You can't really go wrong with predators with executioner cannon's. Or a bit different - 5 attack bikes with multimeltas for 250 points.

Sadly you can't move a vehicle then assault from it in 6th ed so you are looking at a second turn charge at the earliest. I do think that you have the right setup for Angron, though I would be tempted to upgrade the Land Raider Phobos to a Spartan for 40pts (bit more of a jump money wise though).

How sold are you on the Aegis? It doesn't feel very World Eatery.

Do yo think you would be using this list mainly against other legion lists? I ask because although the ten man autocannon team looks fairly scary, I have always been put off by the ap4.

How to spend extra points? You can't really go wrong with predators with executioner cannon's. Or a bit different - 5 attack bikes with multimeltas for 250 points.

Unless I'm mistaken LR has the Assault vehicle rule that allow it. I'll check soon. If it cannot be done, then it's a turn 2 charge: 12" redeployment, 12" movement (plus a 6" flat out, if needed); then next turn disembark 6" and charge.

I included the Aegis just to make the army more viable against flyers. My enemies are usually MEQ.

The Autocannons' massed fire still inflicts several unsaved wounds to MEQ and can be effective versus flyers as well.

I can change them to lascannnons but they will greately increase their cost. I don't have the spartan but I plan to buy it in the future. Right now Phobos is the only LR available to my list.

I really like predators woth executioner as well as vindicator with machine spirit.

The only problem is I have to choose between more scoring troops or heavy/support units.

What do you think?

EDIT:

On the Land Raider Spartan.

FW site states they have some availability issue regarding the Spartan. This is preventing me from ordering it, thus using it.

Beside the Phobos is a dedicated transport for the Rampagers. That means a 12" redeploy the Spartan will not be able to perform.

Personally I think a greater number of model for Angronìs retinue will be a little overlkilling. He is already a monster in CC and the rampagers, all characters, are there in the event I don't want Angron to be part of a challange, for any reason.

I checked the Assault Vehicle matter soon. The rule states the unit can charge when disembark, even if the vehicle has been destroyed. It seems an exception to the general rule. Now the rulebook at pag 79 states a disembarked unit cannot charge. The assault vehicle rules says they can assault so I don't find a rule that say they can only do it if the vehicle remiained stationary. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that you can charge from an assault vehicle, but not if it moves first as you can't dissembark after a vehicle has moved.

I was forgetting that the Phobos would be a dedicated transport for scouting, so you would to stick with it for that tactic. It's certainly not a bad choice anyway and it saves a heavy support choice.

I agree that the autocannons would be great against fliers. Also, after doing a wee bit of maths if they are shooting at a squad, they will kill about 6 marines, which is about as much as you would expect from 10 lascannons. Not bad.

I don't think you could go wrong with more scorig units, but personally, I would probably go for the bigger guns.

My understanding is that you can charge from an assault vehicle, but not if it moves first as you can't dissembark after a vehicle has moved.

I was forgetting that the Phobos would be a dedicated transport for scouting, so you would to stick with it for that tactic. It's certainly not a bad choice anyway and it saves a heavy support choice.

I agree that the autocannons would be great against fliers. Also, after doing a wee bit of maths if they are shooting at a squad, they will kill about 6 marines, which is about as much as you would expect from 10 lascannons. Not bad.

I don't think you could go wrong with more scorig units, but personally, I would probably go for the bigger guns.

But you can disembark from a vehicle if it moved 6" or less, thus charge due assault vehicle rule. Anyway even a turn 2 charge with a character like Angron is still amazing.

Personally I think the autocannons have a good cost/effeciency weapon, especially when you can field 10 of them in a squad. ;)

I see your point with the bigger guns. The presence of Angron will make the army an elite one (namely not too many models); bringing other "big guns" will help with target saturation. Angron and the Rampagers LR will attract a lot of attentions, providing other serious threats could be a good distraction.

I don't know if increasing the size of the Icarus holding gun Tact squad is useful since they can reroll failed morale checks with the Legion Vexilla.

I'm not sure about the rhino for the other tact squad. It offers mobility but a lucky shot and the squad will find in the same condition of a not transported one...

I'll try to add some effective "big gun" and update the list <_<

Its good to see another WE player but I think your list is a little lacking in troops, however it is your list and youre entitled to play anyway you want.

I would agree and say 10 ac troops could definitely handle a flyer so an aegis line is unneeded

TBH the rampagers seem not worth it but i have yet to battle test them

as for the land raider i would almost would suggest to replace it with a 20 man blob with ccw (you can decide if you want to keep the bolters, though definitely worth it with move and shoot) seeing as you have a primus medicae who could be attached and theres likely to be more objective based games.

i would suggest to expand your army with your remaining points because you have only 2 troops with only 10 man squad size i assume and then 10 ac campers, i know with my 1850 point WE force i could easily drop my d3 ordinance from my master of signal on your ac's and they would be largely hurt and possibly break morale and run off the board being so close- and that would be sad considering the MoS is 85 pts bare and the acs are at least 200+.

a simple 5 man ac could destroy the one rhino and force the tacs to slog it out so i would suggest to get multiple rhinos/armor or none at all.

I see WEs and my 1850 force in general as a multi threat that other players cant deal with because of lots of squads of 3+ armor running at you unafraid to engage in cqb especially with angron

definitely if youre going to see meq's you should bring an executioner or vindi (predators are sooo cheap!) and if you decide to go armor-wise drop the ac squad and pick up some basic predators who can put out a similiar amount of ac shots with 13 av and keep up with your mobile force

I hope this is good advice, and please come bash my WEs too! im seeing a lack of WE players so keep with it

But you can disembark from a vehicle if it moved 6" or less, thus charge due assault vehicle rule.

I honestly did not know that. I think I have been had...

As I said I may be wrong but the text of the rules seems to suggest you can actually do it.

Its good to see another WE player but I think your list is a little lacking in troops, however it is your list and youre entitled to play anyway you want.

Honestly I haven't been a hard WE fan in the past, even though their Primarch is very charismatic but when I saw Angron mini I knew I had to put in my next FW order and when it happened I decided he deserve to be the centre of my first HH army. <_<

I know the current list os short of troops but I have still 300 pts available and my first intention was to use those points to add more troops, Tac or eventually support ones.

I would agree and say 10 ac troops could definitely handle a flyer so an aegis line is unneeded

That's very good. As you can imagine I could make a good use those points

TBH the rampagers seem not worth it but i have yet to battle test them

That's my opinion too. I don't think they are truly amazing. However they have some advantage for fulfilling the role of Angron's retinue.

They are all characters, so every of them can be used to accept, issue challanges Angron's is not willing to figth; Angron himself is wuite a beast in CC and every "badass" melee unit could be a little overkilling; they also have the scout rule that with their transport can result in a turn 1 or 2 charge.

This will bring us to the next point:

as for the land raider i would almost would suggest to replace it with a 20 man blob with ccw (you can decide if you want to keep the bolters, though definitely worth it with move and shoot) seeing as you have a primus medicae who could be attached and theres likely to be more objective based games.

I usually prefer large footslogging unit over smaller on transports, especially in 6th edition. However Angron cost a lot, truly a lot (every Primarch costs as much as super heavy after all :P ) and every turn he remain away from enemy lines it's a turn a good portion of my points remain de facto unproductive.

I have serious doubts on the LR too and I thought about the idea of the 20 man blob even before writing the list down but the above limitation worried me.

What do you think?

20 men Tac squad with Angron and Primus Medicae is obviously very difficult to bring down.

i would suggest to expand your army with your remaining points because you have only 2 troops with only 10 man squad size i assume and then 10 ac campers, i know with my 1850 point WE force i could easily drop my d3 ordinance from my master of signal on your ac's and they would be largely hurt and possibly break morale and run off the board being so close- and that would be sad considering the MoS is 85 pts bare and the acs are at least 200+.

I have a Basilisk model so I could field a MoS and some ordinance weapon. If Angron reaches the enemy deployment zone he can deal with nearly any "camper vehicle", I think. S9 7 armour bane attacks should hurt.

Sadly he has only about 6 turn to do so much things ;)

The Tac squad(s) size listed in the original post is not definitive since I planned to expand them.

a simple 5 man ac could destroy the one rhino and force the tacs to slog it out so i would suggest to get multiple rhinos/armor or none at all.

I strongly agree. I'm not a huge fan of rhinos. The original plan was to add a third Tac squad on rhino, fieldinf two of them.

However with the cost of 2 rhinos I can field 8 additional Tac SM.

I see WEs and my 1850 force in general as a multi threat that other players cant deal with because of lots of squads of 3+ armor running at you unafraid to engage in cqb especially with angron

Multi threat is also my goal. However Angron drastically reduces the number of points available. I don't want to list individual points but even though Angron does not reach the 25% Lords of War limit at 2K he is near.

definitely if youre going to see meq's you should bring an executioner or vindi (predators are sooo cheap!) and if you decide to go armor-wise drop the ac squad and pick up some basic predators who can put out a similiar amount of ac shots with 13 av and keep up with your mobile force

Oh the Predator Executioner! I love it. Consider I have also few Executioner weapons I acquire when I bought some IG leman russ in the past (never built a IG army, though)

So you are saying the basic predators can put out the same amount of shots at the same price... interesting. The AC squad costs as much as 3.8 basic predators. So fielding 4 basic predators will give us 16 shots... not the same amount but quite close.

Do you think it would be better to change the AC squad with the predators and keep the "build" still effective versus flyers?

I hope this is good advice, and please come bash my WEs too! im seeing a lack of WE players so keep with it

You helped a lot. I'll give a look at your 1850 pts list asap.

Yep thanks for looking :D

if you do decide to do angron with footslog i would suggest this build in mind:

Angron+20 tacs w/extra ccws + PM (750ish)

2 to man tacs in rhinos (370sih)

3 predators, 1 with executioner, and iirc put the lead tank with the ac with the upgrade to count as interceptor ;) that'll take care of a pesky flier (350ish pts)

1 vindicator

this leaves you maybe 300-450 points left which i would suggest to get your rampage goodness or perhaps a destroyer squad with a moritat so you can still scout but annoy the heck outta your opponent especially if you make them outflank and do chain fire then charge next turn

your plan with this would be almost a rhino rush where you send the rhinos and the vindi "up the middle" to provide an immediate threat to the foe and make huge LoS debauchery (hahaha stupid medusas and nuncio vox)

this would give cover to angron and his ablative wounds :cuss and give the big gun something to do...you could even reduce the mobs size if you really want

by the time angron gets to the fight he wont be too hurt and any percieved threats to him can be pseudo tarpitted by the tacs and if the tacs are hurt...well u have the PM who can gain VPs from dead squads which you'll be in range from.

those predators should provide av 13 nuisance because most people are only taking 1 hw squad and since it can only shoot at one unit the preds will annoy the hell outta em especially with effed up LoS from the rhinos hehehe

also you have your plasma executioner and the lead tank can get that interceptor rule and some other nasty upgrades but K.I.S.S (keep it simple fethhead-er stupid lol)

that way your angron clan can go smash smash while your other units still provide a threat and aren't completely useless, just figure out what you want those extra points for and have...dare i say it...fun

if you do decide to do angron with footslog i would suggest this build in mind:

Angron+20 tacs w/extra ccws + PM (750ish)

2 to man tacs in rhinos (370sih)

3 predators, 1 with executioner, and iirc put the lead tank with the ac with the upgrade to count as interceptor <_< that'll take care of a pesky flier (350ish pts)

1 vindicator

I like it. It seems a balanced list. The command tank upgrade grants the interceptor USR not interceptor and skyfire, so the vehicle will still snapshot against flyers but can shoot at them at the end of their movement phase.

I'm a little low on predators and "True Grit" (namely bolter, pistol and CCW, in this case chain axes) marine. I already added a Deimos Executioner Predator to my wish list and I started to convert chain axes SM.

this leaves you maybe 300-450 points left which i would suggest to get your rampage goodness or perhaps a destroyer squad with a moritat so you can still scout but annoy the heck outta your opponent especially if you make them outflank and do chain fire then charge next turn

I susppose in that list destroyer+moritat is preferable. We still don't know if he can take two plasma pistols but even a plasma pisto+bolt pistol chain firing can be good indeed.

I'd like to play the Rampager squad I assemble so I had an idea.

I'll build two list for my World Eaters: one will be a modified version of the "Rampager rush" one, for having fun with friends, the second will be the more competitive list you suggest.

Just a note on scout: I read the rulebook and units redeployed via scout rule cannot charge on turn one. So the rampagers rush it's a turn 2 charge nearly everywhere on the board.

As I said I really like the list you suggested depthcharge12, thanks for the help.

I'll post the "Updated" Angron's lists in this topic a soons as possible, so feel free to give it a look when you are here.

Yeah no worries Cmdr Shepard glad to hellp.

one last note, on the topic of who gets acs...i just discovered how useful attack bike squads could be in 30k. they seem pretty underrated

im deciding to swap my heavy ac boys for a squad of attack bikes with ac, and here's some reason why:

Positives

*sometimes cheaper bang for buck

*attack bikes can maneuver around pesky fliers to prevent alpha strikes and hit side and rear armor while moving (something 'sloggers can't)

*2 wound with 5 toughness as well as a jink cover save means lascannons (storm eagle) and magna meltas (caestus assault rams) can't insta-gib alpha strike your bikes

*twin-linked bolters can glance some rear armor and is useful against fliers with Twin linked

*can use GW ones- save that hard earned cash for more FW goodies

*not many people expect bikes in the meta game as they are underrated

**though i wouldn't recommend doing it unless there's a depleted enemy squad, attack bikes have a large threat range with that beautiful T5 and 4 attacks on the charge plus hammer of wrath, something that would fit in with the tank vein(haha yes an unintentional WE's blood pun) if you decide to do it

Negatives

*even though you get the tl bolters, doesn't quite make up for the fewer ac shots (but how many do you really need?)

*only useful in bigger squad size like 3-5

*can possibly die to fury of the legions

so for what its worth if you decide to take them ;) have fun

Good point on Assault Bikes.

Bikes are very useful in 6th Edition and their manoeuvrability is golden. I forgot Legiones Astartes Assault Bikes can take autocannos.

Sure they fire half of the heavy support squad shots but they can get better lines of sight, survive better with 2 wounds per model and the jink cover, 60" threat range (12" movement + 48" from autocannon).

It's quite impressive, indeed. :P

How do you plan to acquire the Autocannons for the bikes? The bikes themselves come form the GW plastic kit but what about the autocannons?

you can use most of the heavy bolter if not all on the bike, and i asked myself the same question this morning.

I think the economical and rational choice in this situation wouldn't be to get the fw one's, but maybe get some plastic tubes the size of lollipop sticks and suitably attach them to the muzzle of the heavy bolter

If you can do that it would be golden and i have yet to try it out, but failing that take a good look through the bitz box and use maybe spare lascannon barrels or anything that might remotely resemble an ac barrel

failing that i would get the FW ones which would look incredible but expensive.

I'm more worried about how the bikers look in mk 7 plate, but maybe can convert or can be those sarum helmets btw

Two last questions: if you were an opponent would you face my 1850 list (sorry to jack your thread, but i like your list and see how it could hurt mine especially with that armor list)?

And also, have you or your flgs or mates considered 2000 point non primarch lists? seeing as how only angryron is out, others have to use count as for now and primarchs would completely chuck units off the board at this point level

I honestly would love to play against a primarch even without one in my list but it would seem if both sides brought primarchs it would just be a challenge slugfest between the two

*As to the forgetting assault bikes taking acs, i can't remember a bunch of stuff in there especially how useful a SoH assault squad can be. I might convert my younger brother into a servitor using erector sets to carry my HH and Brb around everywhere lol

you can use most of the heavy bolter if not all on the bike, and i asked myself the same question this morning.

I think the economical and rational choice in this situation wouldn't be to get the fw one's, but maybe get some plastic tubes the size of lollipop sticks and suitably attach them to the muzzle of the heavy bolter

If you can do that it would be golden and i have yet to try it out, but failing that take a good look through the bitz box and use maybe spare lascannon barrels or anything that might remotely resemble an ac barrel

failing that i would get the FW ones which would look incredible but expensive.

I can check my bitz box(es) I'm sure I'll find something ;)

I'm more worried about how the bikers look in mk 7 plate, but maybe can convert or can be those sarum helmets btw

You can try to mix the back of the bikers torso with the front plate from other kits. The SM tac squad kit has few Heresy-like front plates. Or you could use some plate from CSM, using the ones with skulls and not the ones with the chaos star. You can always try to remove the chaos logos. I had a good degree of success with the logos on the legs.

if you were an opponent would you face my 1850 list (sorry to jack your thread, but i like your list and see how it could hurt mine especially with that armor list)?

Are you asking if I'd agree to play against your list? Sure. Why not? Personally I don't like the attittude "I don't want to play against X army"... well unless it's Necron ;). I undestand if players don't want to play overpowered, unbalanced armies.

HH armies are always fun to play and to play against. At my local store there are few friends of mine that want to play their 40K against my HH ones. I'm thinking about a mini campaign: Eldar, Dark Eldar and Orks would be perfect opponents for a Great Crusade campaign :P

And also, have you or your flgs or mates considered 2000 point non primarch lists?

Yes, I did. In fact I planned to build most of my future HH list around non primarchs units. However I think the Primarchs models deserve a list where they are the centre piece. Angron miniature is amazing and I'm sure the other Primarchs minis will wonderful as well.

It seems FW is about to release new kits and rumors say the missing Primarchs will be among them.

Back on the lists:

What do you think about a couple of Contemptors? Those AV13 walkers should help with target saturation and Kheres AC is amazing. I'm also tempted by the Vindicator with machine spirit...

Contemptor-wise I definitely threw one in my list but plan to take 2 unfortunately. With so many people taking the beautiful kheresnaught any strategy oriented person is likely to include a unit that can pop that 200 point model such as a small ac squad despite it having 13 front armor and 5+ inv

take one yes, but be warned because squads can and will make use of the cheap melta bombs (I know I have), and a dual kheres doesn't recieve any dccw properties to ignore and smush armor in cc and its inv goes down to 6+ in cc

keep in mind that kheresnaughts are fun to play with but use it mainly as an infantry support option. Im running my dreadnaughtiness with a screen of cat termies with an ac and combi weapons to clear squads off objectives and provide a thorn in the side of my opponent

And if you have the money (selling kidneys, younger siblings, or other nefarious illegal objects ;) ) then maybe try a full talon of three contemptors - maybe not with angron but if you go higher points - I know that that would throw a wrench in my day especially if they are drop poded

Maybe try dccws? im sure you've talked about the post with which weapons should be used on them (aren't you the op? lol) and the huge debate of what to use. im even tempted to try a plasma cannon because even if it does overheat and glance on a 1-3 you still have a 5+ inv and its useful versus all hh armies

on v for vindis i wouldn't recommend dropping the points on the PotMS, not worth it if you are just using the cannon i worried about my executioner and threw on hbs in case of weapon destroyed but just a cheaper extra armor would suffice so you can still shoot the big gun as vehicles can move and ordnance

Contemptor-wise I definitely threw one in my list but plan to take 2 unfortunately. With so many people taking the beautiful kheresnaught any strategy oriented person is likely to include a unit that can pop that 200 point model such as a small ac squad despite it having 13 front armor and 5+ inv

take one yes, but be warned because squads can and will make use of the cheap melta bombs (I know I have), and a dual kheres doesn't recieve any dccw properties to ignore and smush armor in cc and its inv goes down to 6+ in cc

keep in mind that kheresnaughts are fun to play with but use it mainly as an infantry support option. Im running my dreadnaughtiness with a screen of cat termies with an ac and combi weapons to clear squads off objectives and provide a thorn in the side of my opponent

And if you have the money (selling kidneys, younger siblings, or other nefarious illegal objects :lol: ) then maybe try a full talon of three contemptors - maybe not with angron but if you go higher points - I know that that would throw a wrench in my day especially if they are drop poded

Maybe try dccws? im sure you've talked about the post with which weapons should be used on them (aren't you the op? lol) and the huge debate of what to use. im even tempted to try a plasma cannon because even if it does overheat and glance on a 1-3 you still have a 5+ inv and its useful versus all hh armies

Dual KAC does mean problems in CC; which is why I screened mine with Terminators. In a 30k game, a legion tactical squad would probably bubble wrap it.

With Angron on the battle field the Dual Kheres Contemptor won't fill the one man army. He just have to lay support/suppression fire. "Bubble wraping" with a 20 Tac Squad is a good plan.

The plan is to lower the pressure on Angron's unit: once Angron reaches his targets he can easily take care of infantry and vehicles alike. 7 S9 AP2 Armourbane attacks in charge should deal a lot of damage even to AV14 vehicles.

So keep the supporting contemptor out of CC and send Angron to the melee. Dual DCCW is another option but I wonder if such army needs another CC platform or a fire support one.

on v for vindis i wouldn't recommend dropping the points on the PotMS, not worth it if you are just using the cannon i worried about my executioner and threw on hbs in case of weapon destroyed but just a cheaper extra armor would suffice so you can still shoot the big gun as vehicles can move and ordnance

But Machine Spirit will allow the vindi to move 12" and fire its demolisher cannon for a 36" effective threat range. If I'm not mistaken it would even allow to fire its weapon if the vindi is shaken/stunned.

PotMS once did it. I don't remember if they changed it in some recent FAQ.

Update on the project ;)

I wrote an "updated" version of the "Rampagers rush" list. I'll post the "footslogging Angron" version as soon as possible.

Anyway here is the "Rampagers rush", probalbly less competitive then the other version but since I want to put the Rampagers models I converted in an army here it goes ;)

LORD OF WAR

Angron

HQ

Primus Medicae

TROOPS

Tactical Squad

20 Space Marines, Legion Vexilla

Tactical Squad

10 Space Marines, Legion Vexilla

Tactical Squad

10 Space Marines, Legion Vexilla

ELITE

Rampagers

7 Space Marines, 3 Caedere Weapons, Champion with Artificer Armour and Power Weapon (Power Axe, since it's the only way to get a cheap AP2 weapon and since they are all characters everyone can issue/accept challanges)

Dedicated Transport:

Land Raider Phobos

Armoured Ceramite and Dozer Blade

Contemptor

Dual Kheres

HEAVY SUPPORT

Vindicator

Machine Spirit and Dozer Blade.

FORTIFICATIONS

Aegis with Icarus

(I need an Anti-air weapon and a tac squad will hold an objective in my deployment zone anyway, so it can use some additional protection and fire power)

Total: 2000 pts.

I can reduce the number of the Space Marines in the first Tac squad and/or remove the machine spirite upgrade from the vindi in order to add more "options" to other units.

Let me know what do you think.

In the meantime I'll think about the footslogging Angron version. ;)

Archived