The Severed Angels

Dammeron

More fun with Slaaneshi's (very) bad boys:

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b598/ExaggeratedElegy/DSCF0122_zps740702f0.jpg

First of all, a W.I.P Daemon Prince. As part of the Severed Angels project, and thanks to the Champion of Chaos rule in the new Chaos Codex, I'm going to be making Daemon Prince and Chaos Spawn versions of every character in the army, each one redolent of the mortal from which they're shaped.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b598/ExaggeratedElegy/DSCF0125_zps45d3518d.jpg

As you can see, to bring this guy more in line with his mortal self, I've had to do some extensive remodelling to the head, as well as some work to his weapon to make it more redolent of the one his chaos marine incarnation carries. The bionic eye isn't finished yet; I still need to model details such as wires and a suitably unpleasant optical protuberance :)

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b598/ExaggeratedElegy/DSCF0123_zps97747aca.jpg

Some organic, Giger-style wiring sculpted into the daemon prince's head.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b598/ExaggeratedElegy/DSCF0124_zps4f81c243.jpg

The Daemon Prince is also going to have larger versions of the original champion's mutations, so a suitably serpentine body is required, along with lots of extraneous claws, arms etc, and a feathery wing of some sort.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b598/ExaggeratedElegy/DSCF0130_zpsad1c738e.jpg

Comparison shot. I did have intentions of also uploading some pics of the first Chaos Cultist in the force, along with a new addition to the Severed Angel Chaos Marine squad. Unfortunately, my camera decided to take that opportunity to splutter and die. Oh well; more as and when I can get a replacement!

I wish I had access to your bits box, these are amazing. When I get around to making an actual possessed unit, I hope I can make stuff that look half as good as these.

I wish I had access to your bits box, these are amazing. When I get around to making an actual possessed unit, I hope I can make stuff that look half as good as these.

Many thanks :)

What I tend to do is bulk buy alot of different kits and pieces as and when I have the money, then cobble together what I can based on the background I write. The champion above, for example, is the result of having LOTS of spare bits left over from my Tattered Veil Haemonculus coven (all of which are similarly twisted and malformed). It's actually been alot of fun drawing aesthetic parallels between the two forces; they are both at once very different, yet notably of a similar creed, which is exactly what i was going for (The Tattered Veil do adore their fledgling children :lol: ).

• 2 weeks later...

Short stories giving someone nightmares? Where!??!?

Can't believe you're actually going to go through with making a daemon prince model for each. The first one looks good though.

You can find some of my stories in the periodical Dark Moon Digest, as well as in a recently published "Best Of" compilation. I also have a collection of my own short stories being published later this year entitled Strange Playgrounds; I'll keep you updated as to the potential release date :)

With regards to the minis, the notion of doing Daemon Prince and spawn-specific miniatures for each character in the army really struck a chord with me on a thematic level; it's sort of an insane modelling project in and of itself. I really want people to be able to look at each spawn and prince and say: that's the spawn/prince version of that champion or sorcerer. It's gonna be tricky; I've already encountered plenty of problems for the chappy above cutting and sculpting the serpentine lower half so that the daemon prince torso fits (I've settled on using the Finecast cockatrice body and wing). Still, it's a good opportunity to flex my muscles, as it were; I'm really only just learning with regards to the green stuff; it's not something I have alot of time to practice, though I enjoy it immeasurably.

My Helbrute, old Malahyde up there, has also had a little bit of progress; more green stuff work on the right hand shoulder pad and organic gun. I've decided on a particular theme for my Slaaneshi Terminators; they're all going to have daemonic mouths sculpted into the plates of their armour with leering tongues and large, dark eyes, symbolising the raw appetite and sensory overload that Slaanesh personifies. Malahyde is part of the same brotherhood of elders; ancient sages whose armour has been specifically modified by the Tattered Veil to constantly excoriate then repair their flesh, maintaining them in a state of sustained sensory extremity, via which they claim to maintain a clarity of thought few mortal creatures in the universe can equal. As such, they are a kind of priestly or sagastic brotherhood, providing the rest of the Severed Angels with spiritual guidance. Looking forward to sculpting a few of them.

More pics soon; waiting for a replacement camera to arrive :)

• 10 months later...

Many thanks indeed for the kind comments; there will be more from the Severed Angels; I haven't had a great deal of time to work on them what with moving recently, work and writing commitments, but there will be many, many more at some point, hopefully soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Lovecraft/Barker type, amazing. At this rate we would have reworked the whole 'look' of slaanesh stuff lol

If you aint, I recommend you try the Brian Lumley (sp?) Necroscope and Vampire World series' of books... 

http://www.freevampirebook.net/fiction/Brian_Lumley/Necroscope/images.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFklapsOhCbc4lyb6fFB0hbUnuDIu27BQn03MjNa6IAUQh4QF_

The 'Vampires' craft beasts to use as mounts, fighting creatures etc, you may get a few ideas.

Archived